• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV Official Sequel Announced. . .for CELL PHONES. Megaton, no--POOPTON

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
charlequin said:
dothesummoner.gif
dothesummoner.gif
dothesummoner.gif

dothesummoner.gif
dothesummoner.gif
dothesummoner.gif

dothesummoner.gif
dothesummoner.gif
dothesummoner.gif

:lol

DieH@rd

Banned
duckroll said:
ff4.jpg

Final Fantasy IV The After - Return to the Moon

- Set after FFIV ends
- Play as Theodore, a young boy who is Cecil's blood descendant
- RPG
- 2008 Feb: NTT DoCoMo (FOMA 903i models and up)
- 2008 Spring: AU (Win Brew supported models)
- Mobile phone exclusive

NTT.gif

Jap's mob fones have crazy power, and they are ultra popular there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5sMVewA0E8
^ Video presentation of Gundam and Ridge Racer for Mobile phones.

jphonegames1.jpg

jphonegames2.jpg

jphonegames3.jpg

jphonegames5.jpg

jphonegames6.jpg

jphonegames7.jpg

Fady K said:
FFXIII Agito, FFIV-2, PE3, Tobal, and KH Coded - release these on the PSP/DS instead you idiots!

As much as I hate this direction, I don't know about "idiots" -- if you're S-E, would you rather get 1000yen margin on sale of a physical product that you spent a bunch of money to develop and for which you have to worry about physical distribution... or 1000yen margin on a cellphone game that two interns can bang out in an afternoon, and which poses no risk involving lost sales?

Kunan

Great. More shovelware used to fuel their developement of costly PS3 projects.

wtf @ the dreamcast quality cellphone games posted above

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Ok seriously, why the hell do Japanese people want to play RPGs on their cellphones?

botticus

Dragona Akehi said:
Because everyone has one, and they're on 100% of the time?
That explains why they would make a game for a cell phone, not why you would play it on one.

Granted, I also don't understand the obsession with text messaging, so I suppose if you do that all day, playing games is similar.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Dragona Akehi said:
Because everyone has one, and they're on 100% of the time?

Yeah but the RPG genre is like the least cell phonesque genre out there, it's not a pick up and play for 5 mins type of genre.

botticus said:
That explains why they would make a game for a cell phone, not why you would play it on one.

Granted, I also don't understand the obsession with text messaging, so I suppose if you do that all day, playing games is similar.

If it's already on, and you're on a tram... why not? Mobile games are cheap (since they're subscription) and they don't need any other hardware (even though the DS seems to be selling to every last person in Japan).

Borys

Banned
GSG Flash said:
Ok seriously, why the hell do Japanese people want to play RPGs on their cellphones?

Because there are 1 billion phones on the market?

And because totals of all consoles EVER sold (NES + SNES + PS1 + PS2 + etc.) don't even add to 1 billion?

By releasing a game on cellphones Square *theoretically* targets a 1 billion audience (if they release it outside of Japan).

By targetting the DS market Square faces what? 30M audience? That's 30 times LESS.

On top of that developing a game for cellphones costs 1/5th to 1/10th of developing a game for DS.

Business is business, dudes.

BUY A DOCOMO

Basch

Borys said:

And because totals of all consoles EVER sold (NES + SNES + PS1 + PS2 + etc.) don't even add to 1 billion?

By releasing a game on cellphones Square *theoretically* targets a 1 billion audience (if they release it outside of Japan).

By targetting the DS market Square faces what? 30M audience? That's 30 times LESS.

On top of that developing a game for cellphones costs 1/5th to 1/10th of developing a game for DS.

BUY A DOCOMO

Or they could just port it to the DS or PSP. :D

That's a cell phone? FFIV will be on something like this? I still wish it was on DS or PSP or better yet, PS3/360, but if it uses cell phones with this kind of power (which looks probably better than the DS), I won't mind as much. By the way, has anybody played FF: Before Crisis for the cell phone? Is it even out? If so, how was it? I can't find it on my service.

ITA84

And I had hoped at least the oder FFs would have been spared...
Oh well, there are 2 positive things about this, minimum:
- it looks like it's set in a time which is distant enough from the original
- I wouldn't be able to play it anyway

See, optimism is the way!

Borys said:

BUY A DOCOMO

What?....It says only NTT DoCoMo (FOMA 903i models and up), and Win Brew supported cells can play this game. That's not even close to a billion. I also doubt the game will ever be released outside of Japan. So there goes Europe and America. The market is much smaller then it could have been on the DS, and not everyone with a cellphone actually buys games. But, I guess as new phones come out and more people upgrade, eventually in 10-20 years there might be a billion people market.

White Man

Borys said:

BUY A DOCOMO

Square isn't going to release it outside of Japan. Have they released any of their cellphone games outside of Japan? Fuck, have any of their cellphone games even been worth playing?

Square RAPED gaming this morning! Such a tease. They take the crown from Nintendo as most aggravating company in gaming. I really want to like your games again, Square, I really do. Why do you hate your fans?

donny2112

Kyoufu said:
FFIV-2 for cellphones :lol :lol :lol :lol

Or more interestingly not FFIV-2, but FFIV: The After. Therefore a direct prequel/sequel to a mainline Fantasy game doesn't have to have a "-2" on it to still "count." :D

Borys

Banned
OliveJuice said:
What?....It says only NTT DoCoMo (FOMA 903i models and up), and Win Brew supported cells can play this game. That's not even close to a billion. I also doubt the game will ever be released outside of Japan. So there goes Europe and America. The market is much smaller then it could have been on the DS, and not everyone with a cellphone actually buys games. But, I guess as new phones come out and more people upgrade, eventually in 10-20 years there might be a billion people market.

I was exaggerating a bit. Make it 100M.

White Man said:
Square isn't going to release it outside of Japan. Have they released any of their cellphone games outside of Japan? Fuck, have any of their cellphone games even been worth playing?

Square RAPED gaming this morning! Such a tease. They take the crown from Nintendo as most aggravating company in gaming. I really want to like your games again, Square, I really do. Why do you hate your fans?

There is still hope. If it bombs on mobiles they will port it to DS eventually. Or not.

In any case: I love the drama. Imagine what would happen if Square announced FF7 Remake for... PC only.

Jiggy

If not for Enix's franchises and Yosumin, I could probably never buy another Square-Enix product again and not miss out on particularly much. I think I'd feel slightly better about my life without this whole battered spouse mentality, too; even when they have good ideas these days they manage to find some way or other to bungle, botch, fumble, and muck up the execution.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
At this point, it's almost as if Japanese developers are just mocking us. Seriously, this kind of thing is downright cruel. We finally get a sequel to a pre-Final Fantasy VII game (and I do not like the direction that FFVII and its successors took the series, FFIX aside) and it's for a system that none of us can play. Thanks a lot, Square-Enix.

Right now, the Enix half of S-E is the only thing that keeps me buying their games.

le.phat

this is rediculous! SE used to be my number 1!! and now, i hold them even lower then EA GODF...no..no meltdowns. not worth it.

FUCKINGGODDAMNSTUPIDCLUELESSFUCKS! WHO THE FUCK COMES UP WIT THIS SHIT ? WHAT IN FUCKS NAME ARE THEY THINKING ? WHERE THE FUCK IS FF13 ??? MMMMMMMMUUUUARGHAGHRAHHGHGGHBELBLEEEERHAAGH!

gblues

Banned
Ummm.. maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure
the moon flies away at the end of FFIV. Does the moon come back?

Oh, and F U S-E for making this into a shitty cellphone game.

M3d10n

Someone enlighten me, please. How exactly does the Japanese mobile games market works, most specifically, for these SE titles?

Are these games sold on the service providers' content portal or from SE's own site? Do people pay per copy, or they subscribe to a Gametap-style service?

Top Bottom