• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV Official Sequel Announced. . .for CELL PHONES. Megaton, no--POOPTON

Kosma

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
I thought you guys didn't care about graphix!

My sentiments exactly.

Tyrone Slothrop said:
i understand what you're saying. but by that logic, PC is arguably "the most successful platform" as well.

I don't think 2.5 billion people own a pc, but they do own a mobile phone.

Tristam

WTF is this shit? It could've been one of the greatest announcements ever and then duckroll had to take a dump and now it's on cell phones?

oo Kosma oo said:
My sentiments exactly.

I don't think 2.5 billion people own a pc, but they do own a mobile phone.

I own a mobile phone but I don't own one capable of running anything other than Snake.

Kosma

Banned
Tristam said:
I own a mobile phone but I don't own one capable of running anything other than Snake.

Well SE should make it so that anyone can enjoy it, so it should be monochrome to run on any mobile phone out there imho.

Tristam

oo Kosma oo said:
Well SE should make it so that anyone can enjoy it, so it should be monochrome to run on any mobile phone out there imho.

Enjoy it?! That's like enjoying a game on the PocketStation.

Kosma

Banned
Tristam said:
Enjoy it?! That's like enjoying a game on the PocketStation.

So you think Final Fantasy can't be epic on a mobile phone? I don't think many people would notice the difference with the DS/PSP.

Aeana

My major issue with these cell phone games is that they won't leave Japan, so there's no way I'll be able to play them since you can't import a Japanese cell phone with service. Everything else is a secondary complaint.

Fuck you, SE!!! Shit like this makes me want to turn in my hardcore badge, leave Gaf forever, and just play whatever jumps out at me in the store.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Is the Japanese mobile market that big that they keep foregoing worldwide releases on PSP/DS? Square-Enix is notorious for being concerned solely about profit so this is mind-bottling

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
kenta said:
Is the Japanese mobile market that big that they keep foregoing worldwide releases on PSP/DS? Square-Enix is notorious for being concerned solely about profit so this is mind-bottling

Yeah, it's very big.

The large consumer base + low development costs + no shipping/packaging/factory/etc costs + being able to buy a game on a whim + Final Fantasy = profit.

This will hopefully be great. And honestly, who cares about what platform it's on?

Everyone who wants to play this who doesn't live in Japan?

Jiggy

Owed T'Alex said:
BOYCOTT SQUARE ENIX
I'd honestly like to if they didn't still have Dragon Quest and Star Ocean.
Oh Enix, why did you have to buy Square? :( I liked you guys so much more when you had all your purity intact. Even now I put a mental barrier between ye.

Aeana said:
My major issue with these cell phone games is that they won't leave Japan, so there's no way I'll be able to play them since you can't import a Japanese cell phone with service. Everything else is a secondary complaint.
Pretty much. :(

Lost Fragment said:
Everyone who wants to play this who doesn't live in Japan?

They'll probably release it over here when our cell phones are good enough. And if that takes too long, there's always the PSP. I'm not worried.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Zerodoppler said:
They'll probably release it over here when our cell phones are good enough. And if that takes too long, there's always the PSP. I'm not worried.

What makes you think that? :lol Pretty much the only mobile game that they've released over here aside from that Destiny's Child thing and a couple of ultra casual games (though I hear Hexcite is cool) is Dirge of Cerberus. Shitloads of other "real" mobile games were announced for North America in the past but were never mentioned again after the announcements. You're too optimistic.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Zerodoppler said:
Have you been living under a rock for the last decade? Mobile games like these simply don't leave Japan, it just doesn't happen.

I'd love to see them develop a mobile game emulator for PSP or DS so they can release to an even wider audience (think of the cash, SE!), but even that seems so far-fetched it's depressing

A FFXIII game, an FF7 game, a KH game, Parasite Eve 3, now FF4-2. You ain't seeing none of it :p

Edit: Oh that's right, the Dirge of Cerberus game was released in the US, but it was on some crappy startup carrier and it was Dirge of Cerberus so nobody cared

jgwhiteus

Even though I'm a huge FFIV fan, this announcement doesn't bug me...if only because I don't think the game was itching for a sequel. I mean, I never played FFX-2, but I could appreciate that some people would want a "happier ending"/closure/whatever for Yuna and Tidus, but it's not like FFIV left a lot of plot threads hanging at the end (though I guess this might address the question of "whatever happened to the Lunarians").

And if it takes place in the far future and isn't going to revisit the characters I loved, it's really just a completely new game with new characters and probably different gameplay in a vaguely similar universe, with "Final Fantasy IV" stamped on the cover. It might still be great in and of itself, but I don't feel deprived...

The video game says "Play me"
Face it on a level but it takes you every time on a one on one
Feeling running down your spine
Nothing gonna save your one last dime cause it owns you
Through and through
The databank knows my number
Says I gotta pay cause I made the grade last year
Feel it when I turn the screw
Kicks you round the world, there ain't a thing that it can't do
Do to you

CHORUS:
Who made who, who made you?
Who made who, ain't nobody told you?
Who made who, who made you?

If you made them and they made you
Who picked up the bill, and who made who? (or who picked up the glue,...)(?)
Who made who, who turned the screw?
Satellites send me picture
Get it in the eye,
take it to the world (take it to the wire)
spinning like a dynamo
Feel it going round and round
Running out of chips, you got no line in an 8-bit town
So don't look down, no

CHORUS
Ain't nobody told you, who made who?

Hero

Fuck you, Square-Enix.

Maybe we can all hope and pray that when FFIV DS gets released it'll sell so many copies that they decide to do FFIV-2 on DS as well using the same engine.

camineet

Banned
of all platforms this had to be made for, it's coming for my most hated platform, cell phones.

god F'ing damnit.

i would SO buy this if it were in english and not on cellphone

fan-made homebrew english translation and port to non-cellphone systems, WE AWAIT!

jesusraz

As it has been stated already, Square Enix is already bringing its mobile phone version of Front Mission to DS and previously commented that it would be willing to bring its mobile content to DS anyway...so there's hope yet for all those vexed by this move.

Slim hope for now, but still 'hope'.

CTLance

VERY NO.
8alai9z.jpg

legend166

I reall think if it wasn't for the success of the DS, we'd be seeing a hell of a lot more mobile announcements then we are now. I remember before the release of the DS, Iwata always talked about the threat of mobile phones to the handheld market, and that the DS was really an answer to that. Luckily it succeeded.

Basch

You know? I just thought of something. With as mad as Square Enix is at Sony for, supposedly, not marketing the PS3 as a gaming console, what the hell are they doing developing games for a CELLPHONE. Oh, the irony. :lol

theultimo

:lol :lol................:lol :lol......................:lol :lol
:lol :lol............:lol :lol :lol :lol................:lol :lol
:lol :lol...........:lol............:lol................:lol :lol
:lol :lol :lol.......:lol :lol :lol :lol................:lol :lol :lol
:lol :lol :lol...........:lol :lol ....................:lol :lol :lol

This is horible.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Aeana said:
This is the true problem.

Aeana said:

My thoughts exactly. I know it's a long shot, but I really hope S-E USA just adds this on to the North American version of FFIVDS as some sort of bonus or unlockable. Wishful thinking, I know. But I don't want to miss out on a sequel to my favorite FF just because I don't live in Japan.

FUCK YOU SE. FUCK YOU IN YOUR FUCKING ASS.
Cell phones. Anyone that plays cell phone games should be killed.
Ugggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Nuclear Muffin said:
So jpn mobiles are almost at PSP power now! Funny, isn't the iPhone actually more powerful than the psp? Meaning that for probably the first time ever, the US is actually ahead of Japan in terms of mobile phone tech!

Uhm no. Console power isn't measured only in terms of Mhz. Japanese phones makes the Iphone look like a toy it is (actually in comparison to many other normal phones in the US and European market as well the Iphone is behind).

3" 800x480 resolution screens are starting to filter to some of these Japanese only phones.

Defuser

SE a Japanese eccentric company is releasing a FFIV sequel for Japanese phone market which anger the west? Must I be surprised of the same old thing?

DieH@rd

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
So jpn mobiles are almost at PSP power now! Funny, isn't the iPhone actually more powerful than the psp? Meaning that for probably the first time ever, the US is actually ahead of Japan in terms of mobile phone tech!

No. iPhone has only central CPU witch handles everything. PSP has a CPU+GPU, and it have tons of more power than iPhone.

White Man

New rule: If you do not now refer to Square as Shitty Square, you get banned. If you are referring to Square Enix, you do not have to put the shitty there since Enix hasn't been totally corrupted yet.

Bans start at 2 years and go up.

By the way, I am JOKING. Last time I made a joke like this, some asshole dumbass posters complained to the admins. If I knew who did that, I really would ban the killjoy cocksuckers. Can't do anything fun at GAF these days.

Top Bottom