• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX now out on Android and iOS

Pachimari

It drained my battery rather quick, but it wasn't fully charged either. Now I'm just charging the phone to 100% so I can continue my play. It's really interesting.

Syntsui

It drained my battery rather quick, but it wasn't fully charged either. Now I'm just charging the phone to 100% so I can continue my play. It's really interesting.
15fps on battles confirmed or nah?
Also, how good is the fast forward? Is it considerably fast?

Sarye

questions for those that have it:

1) how are the battle speeds? I loved FFIX but I remember in the PSX version, the battle transitions took forever and the framerate was bad
2) Does the background look more pixelated then you remember?
3) Does it still have the charm that the original had?

questions for those that have it:

1) how are the battle speeds? I loved FFIX but I remember in the PSX version, the battle transitions took forever and the framerate was bad
2) Does the background look more pixelated then you remember?
3) Does it still have the charm that the original had?

Battle speed is just like it was, but you've got a 3x speed option now. 3x works well, but the touch interface in both combat and the world is not especially precise and adding everything moving at 3x the speed makes it worse.

Background looks like you'd expect, IMO, but I haven't played FFIX on anything bigger than a Vita/PSP screen in so long I can't say for sure (I bought it on my iPad).

It's still charming as fuck.

valkyre

is the game fullscreen on iphone 6 or is it with those fugly black bars on the side?

Cause that was a deal breaker for FFVII and it will be a deal breaker here.

And yes I would even prefer an option to even stretch the screen, even if it means messing with the aspect ratio.

Audette

My thumbs got ahead of me and I bought it. Unfortunately I won't get to play it until much later tonight.

Going to play it on my iPhone 6

Pachimari

is the game fullscreen on iphone 6 or is it with those fugly black bars on the side?

Cause that was a deal breaker for FFVII and it will be a deal breaker here.

And yes I would even prefer an option to even stretch the screen, even if it means messing with the aspect ratio.
It's not fullscreen and there's no stretching.

So what are the cheats/in-app purchases? Curious to see if this has a stat-maxing one like FF7, since FF9 doesn't have a way to achieve max stats in-game.

Are there any screenshots/videos of what it looks like on various devices?

I'm currently playing Dragon Quest 5 between my iPad and iPod touch and I think it looks great except for on the iPad the menus during battles block the monsters you're fighting when choosing your actions. The screen takes up the entire screen on both devices and is played in portrait mode.

Any details like that about this game? I see above it is said it's not full screen...is this all devices?

Been wanting to try 9 ;)

Does support MFI controllers on ios.

CayWBlDW8AE3ey2.jpg

Does it need 8gb free to install on iPhones too if I install it via iTunes? :eek:

Unai

Too bad it's not out today on Steam. I was really looking forward to play it the whole night because I will only start working at noon tomorrow.

Emulation doesn't = piracy as a rule but for many I've seen and heard of, my opinion has come to be Emulation = piracy for a hell of a lot of people.

Yes GAF has a great, genuine emulation enthusiast crew but I don't get mad when people come in here saying Emulation = Piracy because it may well be their only exposure to it.

Fair enough.

Roxas

So was this released a day early by mistake or something? No Square statement, and the fact it states that the 20% off starts tomorrow....PLUS where the fuck is the steam version?

I wonder if they'll wait until the Steam sale is over to release it.

How does this control on mobile with touch controls? I'm half tempted to buy it for my Nexus 6P but not entirely sold. I've enjoyed their ports of FFV and FFVI on mobile.

There's not really a need to purchase the game on Android when you can just emulate it. Unless there are extra features you absolutely have to have.

Square Enix's touch controls leave a lot to be desired. They were very finicky and imprecise in Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy Tactics. I don't expect much different from Final Fantasy IX.

jax

Banned
Square Enix's touch controls leave a lot to be desired. They were very finicky and imprecise in Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy Tactics. I don't expect much different from Final Fantasy IX.

That's what the Nimbus is for.

There's not really a need to purchase the game on Android when you can just emulate it. Unless there are extra features you absolutely have to have.

Or if you want the speed increase or higher res textures or cloud saving?

Did you really come in here to try and shit all over the port? Are you salty 12 didn't get ported or something?

Are we really back again with this thing where emulation = piracy? Really?

You did kind of jump down my throat a little bit there. Just saying "legality" was kind of snippy in itself I guess, so I apologise; it's a comment that's easy to read as judgmental rather than joking.

Of course I do understand that emulation is not inherently piracy. It's incredibly important to the preservation of this hobby. However, in the case of a game like FFIX which is available legally to purchase on PSN, IOS, Android and soon, Steam, it seems as though it's not ideal. The laws regarding emulation even of your own legally-owned software, with regards to making backups, booting a BIOS you didn't dump yourself, they seem pretty fuzzy.

Pachimari

I didn't have any trouble with the touch controls in Final Fantasy V or Final Fantasy VI, and Final Fantasy IX controls great. I have no problem with it so far.

What are the chances of FF VIII on mobile? It was the first Final Fantasy I ever got.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Now that this game is out, there's an VIII-shaped hole on my homescreen.

Top Bottom