• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX now out on Android and iOS

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
18 bucks and not compatible with madcatz C.T.R.L.I
ffs i want to like ios gaming.. but everything is so half assed..

monster hunter ultimate 20 bucks.. break with newest ios version .
like bioschock ? TO BAD

requesting refund .. who the hell plays a game with touch screen controls xD

-MB-

Says It is compatible with my Android TV enabled Sony Bravia, eventho it does not meet storage requirements.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Does support MFI controllers on ios.

CayWBlDW8AE3ey2.jpg

WARNING.. IT DOES NOT WORK WITH MY CONTROLLER.

tumblr_nddzk4gbnS1trfzyko1_1280.png

i can only move nothing else works..

Unai

If I remember correctly you can try the jump game when you get back to Alexandria much later on, right?

B.K.

I don't think I ever got higher than five or six on the jump rope game. I can't imagine doing 1000. How long would that even take?

fury

Nice to see they put some effort into this port, instead of slapping an ugly virtual controller on it like FF7.

I see one of the available cheats is max Gil and one of them is to give all of your characters 99 Magic Stones for equipping passive abilities. I wonder what the rest are.

99 Magic Stones is an interesting one, given that some characters have many more equippable abilities than others so they'll benefit to different degrees.

edit: another one seems to be learning all abilities immediately, haha.

Still hoping there's a way to get the Excalibur II without having to do that stupid 12-hour run.

mtodavk

I don't think I ever got higher than five or six on the jump rope game. I can't imagine doing 1000. How long would that even take?

It took me a literal day of trying to get the key item back in the day....not sure I want to spend the time getting the achieve this time around

Screw that minigame. I never even try it on my replays. I suck at it, even more than I suck at the Zidane/Blank swordfight (though I just got a perfect in this version!).

Bought. It's easily my favorite of the PSX era Final Fantasy games (sorry, FF7), and I haven't played it in years.
Same. I'm more than happy to double/triple dip on a rerelease. I'll be buying the PC version when it hits too.

Peff

Ten-ish minutes give or take, the pace really jumps up later on. So it's no lightning dodging, but it's also harder :p

I'm sure there will eventually be a script to let the PC handle it, though.

LivingHitokiri

Neo Member
Looks great on the phones i hope they wool better on PC.
I really hope they have different UI for the PC version as i doubt stretched mobile Ui will work .

Razmos

Doesn't seem to work on my android tablet, it launched the first time and started initialising, then seemed to freeze at 100% for about 10 minutes, so I closed the app and reopened it and now it just comes up with a black screen and does nothing every time

Really tempted to buy it on Android anyways it's not even $20 (discount starts tommorow right?) so probably won't be on Steam either with a discount or greenmangaming and it's well worth it.

Pachimari

If I'm in the game and decides to jump out with the Home-button, does it record time spent? Or only while I am actually in the game?

neoism

...you mean the ones that keep the aspect ratio correct and stop everyone looking too fat?

Ugh I'd hate to see what you do to 4:3 games

i don't know maybe square could stop being soo lazy and make it the ratio of the screen.... I don't play 4:3 games..... the last Square game I got on ios was FFT before the HD update and course they want me to rebuy it.... ill just get this on steam for 5 bones or less and never play lol.... I did everything back in the day and still have my save..16.99 is ridiculous

Played all the way to the Village of Dali. Game runs fine for the most part. Load times feel the same as they always do (whether on PSX or emu). Navigating the menu is rather awkward though.

Does the game support cloud save?

Hell yeah! I've never played IX.

If I play this on android tablet and phone is it cross save?
Yes to both. You can copy your save to other devices via the cloud save.

This also an insane amount of save slots, lol.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
i don't know maybe square could stop being soo lazy and make it the ratio of the screen.... I don't play 4:3 games..... the last Square game I got on ios was FFT before the HD update and course they want me to rebuy it.... ill just get this on steam for 5 bones or less and never play lol.... I did everything back in the day and still have my save..16.99 is ridiculous

Do you have any idea whatsoever how time consuming it would be to create widescreen assets for every single screen in FFIX?

First they would need to find the original 3D assets (if they even still exist), then re-render them to a widescreen format.

Then they would have to do a design pass on every single re-rendered scene.

The process could take a year or more.

Of course you throw out the "lazy devs" cliche when you have zero idea what you're talking about.

i don't know maybe square could stop being soo lazy and make it the ratio of the screen.... I don't play 4:3 games.....

You've never played any GB, GBC, GBA, DS, NES, SNES, N64, PS1, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox games back when they came out? And if not you've only played them either scretched out or zoomed in to be 16:9?

If you hate borders you could always get an iPad, then FF IX should take up most if not the entire screen.

Magnus

Love some iOS impressions for anyone with an iPhone 6S or an iPad Air 2. I'm sure performance is good, but I'd love to hear about the touch controls. I don't have external controls and probably won't ever get them. (Would kill the portability, doesn't make sense for my purposes.)

Top Bottom