• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IX now out on Android and iOS

Compatible with my Sony Bravia TV running Android TV...

...But not my NVIDIA Shield TV, which also runs Android TV about 6x better...

What?

RanoNL

Does this game have cloud saves for iOS?
Yes, it has.

Any footage on iOS or Android? That fellow who was streaming it on YouTube earlier deleted the recording. :/

The first 10 minutes of Final Fantasy IX on iOS. I skipped all the movies, didn't go for every item.

- Ship of Baku
- Battle (including auto battle)
- Vivi in Alexandria
- Menu screen (including max. stats and Gil)
- Rat boy
- Save Moogle

Also the sound is not there for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJc2X-HoTAM

jax

Banned
Im literally sad right now. I was so hyped and now the controllers don't work. Hopefully we get a patch soon. :(

RanoNL

2048x1536 PNG screenshots:

BBfzacY.png

onbSxOz.png

4IgBqhQ.jpg

tnLT4pH.jpg

vl9T68W.jpg

gkYieNK.jpg

mvbr5No.jpg

i0TEVoz.jpg

VKW8Pd7.jpg

M0MXXFj.jpg

l8RuBN1.jpg

4LSWjfU.jpg

Toth

They did a fantastic job on the characters but boy, they really stand out against the low-res backgrounds :(

RanoNL

They did a fantastic job on the characters but boy, they really stand out against the low-res backgrounds :(
True. But I love this port. I had no trust in SE after FFVI and FFVII. But they even redid the equipment icons. And the menu's look actually good.

WarAdept

This might be the very first game I buy for my phone. (even if it is a port of a console game)

Adore IX, but still not sure whether I want it for Mobile or PC.

Those icons man

Ugh I thought they'd move past these clipart shading icons.

KtSlime

I think to check if it is on sale or not someone could check the Final Fantasy Portal app. I just checked (Japan) and it listed the regular price as 2500¥ on sale through the 21st for 2000¥.

It's probably already on sale, and that 20% is just a round number.

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
I think to check if it is on sale or not someone could check the Final Fantasy Portal app. I just checked (Japan) and it listed the regular price as 2500¥ on sale through the 21st for 2000¥.

It's probably already on sale, and that 20% is just a round number.

It is on sale elsewhere as well - 15.99 is 20% off 19.99.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So this is more of an actual mobile port with actual touch menus? Moreso than the VII port which just used a virtual controller and called it a day?

Pachimari

Weren't we able to slide up and down on the screen, when we were in menus in Final Fantasy 1-6 at least? Because in IX, I can only navigate menus by either precisely tapping or swiping up and down on the menu, instead of anywhere on the screen.

AgeEighty

Those icons are just the smoothed versions of the originals with a black outline. They're not attractive.

How "attractive" were the originals? How attractive do equipment icons need to be?

And they look more than just smoothed to me; there's no hint of smoothed pixels. They're redrawn.

And they're fine. People looking for things to nitpick...

So this is more of an actual mobile port with actual touch menus? Moreso than the VII port which just used a virtual controller and called it a day?

Correct.

ZeroX03

Banned
Other than the assets that had to be upscaled, that looks fantastic. Not really a big JRPG gamer on my 6S, but then again I have every other FF game on there anyway... Might have to snatch this before the PC and inevitable PS4 versions hit.

Font looks good too, compared to some of the awful earlier mobile stuff.

Those screens look amazing, holy shit. Much better than what I played in ePSXe back in 2007 when I did beat the game.

To think that you can play GTA3 and FF9 on an iPhone... incredible.

RanoNL

Ugh I thought they'd move past these clipart shading icons.

Those icons are just the smoothed versions of the originals with a black outline. They're not attractive.

What do you mean? The icons look very good. They redrawn them. In stead of enlarging and smoothing here and there.

Comparison between FFIX on PS and iOS:

LwOnelO.png

Look at the feathers on the hat. You only get that level of smoothing in Crime Scene Investigation.

AgeEighty

I'm actually really happy about how faithful they were to the look of the UI. Since they redid the menus and dialogue boxes they could have replaced them with anything, including generic boxes with system fonts or Arial, but they went out of their way to do justice to the original look. The font's not quite exactly the same but it's handsome and it's similar enough.

I know people are going to find little things to complain about, but I'm really happy so far with the way that Thailand studio handled this port. Yes the backgrounds are blurry, but barring an expectation of them painstakingly re-creating all the art, which isn't reasonable, this is about as good as it was ever going to look.

wow they didn't upgrade the backgrounds again? might as well just emulate it

"Upgrade" how? Do you have any concept of how much work that would have been? They most likely don't have copies saved of the original art.

They did a great job with what they had. And an emulator doesn't give you the upgraded character models or menus.

ZeroX03

Banned
They can't. The assets were long gone.

To be accurate, some of the assets are long gone. There's a good chunk floating around out there, but presumably not all of it otherwise we would have seen it implemented.

I'm sure modders will be able to make a mod that implements the higher res stuff available or something like waifu2x upscales which can look great if that's to your taste. But for an official product this is about the best we could hope for.

AgeEighty

To be accurate, some of the assets are long gone. There's a good chunk floating around out there, but presumably not all of it otherwise we would have seen it implemented.

I'm sure modders will be able to make a mod that implements the higher res stuff available or something like waifu2x upscales which can look great if that's to your taste. But for an official product this is about the best we could hope for.

That's not a "good chunk", that's a couple dozen images out of hundreds that are in the game. And note that since that thread appeared, no new ones have surfaced.

Pachimari

Yeah, exactly this.

ZeroX03

Banned
That's not a "good chunk", that's a couple dozen images out of hundreds that are in the game. And note that since that thread appeared, no new ones have surfaced.

There's like 40+ there, I'm sorry if you disagree with the phrase "good chunk" but you'll notice I'm not advocating for them to be used so it's pretty meaningless semantics.

Lagamorph

I know, a 60-80 hour RPG widely regarded as among the best in its genre, for the price of a lunch for two. Where do they get off?
£12.99 for a mobile port of a nearly 16 year old game that Square Enix probably won't support past one OS update if their track record is anything to go by.

Top Bottom