• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy [Mafia] |OT| Living in a Materia World, and I am a Materia Girl

Swamped

Banned
I think I've settled on who I'll be lynching today.

VOTE: Xamtheking

Out of all the fluff-post players (and by god does this game have a lot) his posts have lacked any commentary on the actual game itself. He asked StarSketch to elaborate on her Darryl read, but never followed up on it. Maybe I am being overly harsh with him, but to me it feels like he's scared to put himself out there. And somehow he hasn't brought that much attention to himself, which is what Chaos Warriors would want (or at least, I haven't been paying attention to him). Scum would want to look active but avoid taking any hard stances, which is what I feel Xam is doing.

Only reason I am hesitatantis that Xam looks like he's really enjoying himself here.

Sorian

Banned
I think I've settled on who I'll be lynching today.

VOTE: Xamtheking

Out of all the fluff-post players (and by god does this game have a lot) his posts have lacked any commentary on the actual game itself. He asked StarSketch to elaborate on her Darryl read, but never followed up on it. Maybe I am being overly harsh with him, but to me it feels like he's scared to put himself out there. And somehow he hasn't brought that much attention to himself, which is what Chaos Warriors would want (or at least, I haven't been paying attention to him). Scum would want to look active but avoid taking any hard stances, which is what I feel Xam is doing.

Only reason I am hesitatantis that Xam looks like he's really enjoying himself here.

Of course he's scared to put himself out there, the last time he played, he crippled his team by being so ridiculous with his play.

Hi all, time got away from me and I'm about to go to bed, so I won't be there for the end of the day. I will try to post more next day. It's hard to think of what to say, since I feel uneasy voicing suspicion of anyone when I have so little to go on. But I feel like I am getting the hang of it a little more now.

I do want to have a vote out there at the end of the day, and I found Sorian's reasoning on UltraJay relatively persuasive. And it was based on posts from this game, rather than policies or past behavior which is difficult to look up. As no one else sticks out to me, I feel I have to go for it.

VOTE: UltraJay

BLARGONAUT USED PHOENIX DOWN

After you started posting, there were at least 2 pages that ammounted to nothing but fluff posts. A good chunk of them were directed your way.

I'm normally a fan of your playstyles, but really have done nothing this game to really make me care about you as a town.

LOL K

REPLIES AREN'T BLARGONAUT'S FAULT

AND THE FEELING'S MUTUAL

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO LAUNCH MCQUACK, APPARENTLY

n81MZLH.jpg

ONLY ENOUGH GIL LEFT FOR CUPCAKE, SRY

UltraJay

I made a mistake, it was Seath who pushed all those questions on Sorian, but I still don't like Xam prancing around without actually commenting on the game. I'll keep a note in my fur to come back to Seath later.

I'm gonna take this scum read as a badge of honor, I'd rather not be a scum target.

I really hope Day 2 is better, this Day 1 has been worst than Nightvale. At least there I had a chance to try and pick targets to kill.

Here's a question Sorian. Would I have made such a shitty assumption and mistake if I had scum chat to guide me? I'm flying blind here and accusing Xam of something Seath did, after all.

nin1000

Banned
I will cast my vote out, since i dont like voting the last 30 minutes.

VOTE: TheAwesomePossum

consider it a warning, i dont like players that are trying to coast by. You got called out for not saying enough and even then you did not try to participate and just quoted yourself. 3 posts up to now.

Hi guys. What a wonderful day it is in...*squints at paper* Final Fantasy. I hope we have some healthy discussion today. :)
Thoughts on Darryl vs You: The usual Day 1 "let's randomly give this person a bad time because day 1 is poorly designed with there being no leads" I like my Day 1 to have at least one interesting development to jump-start convos. So far, it's purely RNG.
Except I did say something. That's why Nin crossed me off the list. It's just that no one responded to me except Nin.

I know you can do better and hope you will on D2.
But this shit will not be tolerated in a mid season game.

UltraJay

Take a good long look at who votes on me. Chaos would want nothing better than a fake scum to jump on top of. Finally some juicy information.

A scum Sorian actually kinda scares me. He's leading a train on me, and he is actually defending Xam of all people. Why? Because he feels bad for him because of the last game? This is a whole new game and Xam isn't in it. I'm keeping my vote on him for the time being.

If I'm scum then Xam is town... but not the other way around? If I'm town then Xam's alignment is unknown to you Sorian? I'd like some clarification on that.

Swamped

Banned
I made a mistake, it was Seath who pushed all those questions on Sorian, but I still don't like Xam prancing around without actually commenting on the game. I'll keep a note in my fur to come back to Seath later.

I'm gonna take this scum read as a badge of honor, I'd rather not be a scum target.

I really hope Day 2 is better, this Day 1 has been worst than Nightvale. At least there I had a chance to try and pick targets to kill.

Here's a question Sorian. Would I have made such a shitty assumption and mistake if I had scum chat to guide me? I'm flying blind here and accusing Xam of something Seath did, after all.

Guess who isn't sleeping, so I'm just gonna

Vote: Ultra Jay

Star, i have to ask since your vote on UJ came after his "defense" post, quoted above. Was it unsatisfactory in your eyes? And why?

To me it wasn't the best of defenses, but it's D1 so im not expecting a literature masterpiece anyway. Although i wasn't leaning towards a UJ vote in the first place...

I should be around at the deadline, how exciting!

UltraJay

I don't know how best to defend myself other than "I fucked up" but that means I was only half wrong about Xam. I don't even think that vote with a space will count or not. Not only that, I can only defend myself against Sorian, because Stack is just bandwangoning (I'm watching you) with no other reasons other than "Sorian said so" and Star said absolutely nothing about her vote! Real good train you got there guys. Rock solid.

nin is all like "I'm gonna vote on somebody completely different!" Because what we need now hours before deadline is our votes split up between three people. Yep.

I know I should have posted more the last two days but I didn't want to get into the bullshit that was the last few pages. What could I even say? I didn't even know what the fuck was happening! At least now with votes coming down on me a game of Mafia is actually going on!

Xam. When you wake up, talk about the damn game. You know, the one we're playing?

Just to reiterate:

UNVOTE

VOTE: xamtheking

I'm just sitting here waiting for people to wake the hell up. Sorian, you've poked the sleeping lion. I'm back, baby.

nin1000

Banned
nin is all like "I'm gonna vote on somebody completely different!" Because what we need now hours before deadline is our votes split up between three people. Yep.

I put my vote down on those that deserve it on my opinion. Why should I bandwagon and put down my vote on those that already have votes, just for the sake of it? Sorry but that's not the way I will play today.

nin1000

Banned
I know I should have posted more the last two days but I didn't want to get into the bullshit that was the last few pages. What could I even say? I didn't even know what the fuck was happening! At least now with votes coming down on me a game of Mafia is actually going on!

I can understand the way you are feeling and I know I aswell as Sorian have been responsible for that mess, so I will apologize for the both of us. At least now the game seems to have calmed down and we can now start the real discussion. Glad that you joined us UltraJay

UltraJay

I put my vote down on those that deserve it on my opinion. Why should I bandwagon and put down my vote on those that already have votes, just for the sake of it? Sorry but that's not the way I will play today.

I can understand that. It's more than what can be said of the ones joining in with Sorian on me. I called them out for bandwangoning then called you out for deliberately not doing it. Eh. Thanks for the input.

That being said, Swamped voted on Xam as well but it doesn't really feel like a bandwagon with me right now. More like we both voted on him for similar reasons but of our own volition. We each gave reasons. Everyone on me are becoming Sorian party members. They all get their own beanies. Color coded.

Darryl

Banned
I can change my vote all I fucking want. There's 2 hours left in the day and no one has even responded since I last voted.

Sorian

Banned

I've learned from reading scum chats on here that GAF scum isn't always coordinated (GAF scum is almost never coordinated). You don't run every little thing you say past your team members. You made a mental slip, you aren't going to ask your buddies for permission on everything you say. Mental slip or not though, that doesn't change the fact that it looks like you made a vote to prod Xam and then retroactively added in reasoning to make it look like a real vote. It could be unfortunate/convenient timing but I can't say I'm sold on that.

Guess who isn't sleeping, so I'm just gonna

Vote: Ultra Jay

Your vote doesn't count because there is a space inbetween the name (well the vote counts but the tool isnt seeing it right. Also, whya re you voting for him>

Take a good long look at who votes on me. Chaos would want nothing better than a fake scum to jump on top of. Finally some juicy information.

A scum Sorian actually kinda scares me. He's leading a train on me, and he is actually defending Xam of all people. Why? Because he feels bad for him because of the last game? This is a whole new game and Xam isn't in it. I'm keeping my vote on him for the time being.

If I'm scum then Xam is town... but not the other way around? If I'm town then Xam's alignment is unknown to you Sorian? I'd like some clarification on that.

Xam hasn't done anything that I find super suspicious. If I had to scale it, he wuld certainly be higher on a town list than you. And yes, it seems like a scum UJ was trying to get an easy lynch on Xam, if you are town though that goes back to the drawing board, this isn't just an opposite thing, you being town doesn't make him scum automatically though, town doesn't know anything, scum does. He didn't try to lead anything on you so there is no correlation there. You seem to be feeling pressured though, a lot more posts while I was sleeping compared to the rest of the game. You seem very worried about death.

Vote: Swamped

We're doing this again? Explain your vote.

If we're lynching an inactive, I'd really rather rgo after Seath. Xam and UltraJay seem to have at least made an effort. Especially in Xam's shoes, I'd be frustrated, as everyone in werewolf called him frustrating, annoying, etc, and he openly said he was aware of these complaints. Seath hasn't even tried, he hasn't posted a single thing worth anything. Even Blarg had one post

VOTE: Seath

Sorian

Banned
If we're lynching an inactive, I'd really rather rgo after Seath. Xam and UltraJay seem to have at least made an effort. Especially in Xam's shoes, I'd be frustrated, as everyone in werewolf called him frustrating, annoying, etc, and he openly said he was aware of these complaints. Seath hasn't even tried, he hasn't posted a single thing worth anything. Even Blarg had one post

Who said we're lynching an inactive? We are lynching scummy behavior not bullshit.

My change in behavior is due to Darryl's death D1 in Wereboot. For his death, I take 110% of the blame. It really got me thinking after the arso boom, because if Scum hadn't made a mistake, they would have won. My borderline destructive play could have lost it for town.

Darryl

Banned
My change in behavior is due to Darryl's death D1 in Wereboot. For his death, I take 110% of the blame. It really got me thinking after the arso boom, because if Scum hadn't made a mistake, they would have won. My borderline destructive play could have lost it for town.
I'm getting Wereboot D1 flashbacks
Remember how that turned out?
Darryl, please don't do this shit again
Vote: Darryl

you're feeling responsible for the way i was lynched in that game yet you want to use the exact same logic to try to lynch me here

Sorian

Banned
And what scummy behavior are we talking about?

Honestly inquiring, I honestly assumed we were lynching an inactive.

My case for UltraJay would be in here.

I also notice he is around but not responding. Probably because Darryl tipped the Xam vote to 5-3 and he thinks if he doesn't draw attention to himself, he's safe for today. Xam is the easy vote out right now, Jay is trying not to draw anymore heat right now.

The Xam logic is that his play is much more reserved since Werewolf.

you're feeling responsible for the way i was lynched in that game yet you want to use the exact same logic to try to lynch me here
The vote was to try to dissuade you from that behavior, but I have been doing some thinking, so
Code:
Vote: UltraJay
You are giving me Town vibes, Darrly

No one is picking at random, don't straw man for your bad vote. You're pressing Blarg because you're trying to act engaged.

That's awfully presumptuous.

You may not have the same perspective of me of what went wrong in NX, but I think letting Blarg's craziness snowball caused many of us a lot of grief there. Take it for what it is, Sorian, you're wasting your time with these potshots.

In a later post, you mention he's been valuable before. Elaborate please. Either my memory is failing me or I just wasn't around for it.

UltraJay - I'll get it out of the way and say that I think UJ is scum this time. I'm not super confident but he has been hovering in the background a lot. There has been a lot of promises of posts to come but they seem to not pan out or not be as in depth as one would hope. Here's the kicker for me though, he votes for Xam as a prod and then gives a scum read on him later. Which comes across as him trying to justify a vote that was just sitting out there to me. This reasoning came almost a full 20ish hours later (maybe a tad less) and while Xam did not really respond to the prod during that time, the information that UJ uses to justify Xam's scumminess came from before the actual vote. I think he found an easy target to land on and went back to find good justification for leaving that vote there all day.

VOTE: UltraJay

Narrative or not Darryl, I hope you understand that it's all in the game, I'm not as blind as you seem to have been posting.

Here's why I don't think UltraJay (or Xamtheking, since the reasoning applies to him too) are not scum.

Their posting is far too uncoordinated. You guys are taking shots at UJ for stuff like not following up on posts. That behavior is more consistent with player's who are less engaged. What I've learned to expect from mafia, especially those who do not have the name Darryl, are posts that are much more coordinated - those that try to imitate "good" town players. Now, that said...

Hyperactivity - Hyper has been dismissing this whole day phase and has gone out of his way to always fall on the side of each argument. Look to the Darryl/Sorian fight to see what I mean. He made a mega post that basically berated both sides and sided with both sides. I originally commented that it was a good post but, that was the point, it looked good surface level but really was a whole lot of eh, whatever. I honestly see Hyper as scum as well. Has given himself plenty of excuses to be missing from the proceeding but still shows up with big posts that seem to look like he is paying a lot more attention than he lets on. - Leaning scum

This fucker right here is giving me scummy vibes. He's not said much in the last few days, which is typical behavior from someone who doesn't want to reveal too much information. Plus, he's been...

blatantly ignoring the climate of the thread. I would make two predictions from this:

1) He's scum
2) He's scum and he's trying to draw attention to or away from one of UJ and/or Xam.

Thoughts, Sorian? You are the most concerned I not vote for Blarg.

Sorian

Banned
The vote was to try to dissuade you from that behavior, but I have been doing some thinking, so
Code:
Vote: UltraJay
You are giving me Town vibes, Darrly

That's not how you vote at all. And what thinking have you been doing?

-------

Also, everyone keep in mind that Starsktch put a space in UltraJay's name that isn't there so if you look at the voting tool he has one less vote than he actually should, keep that in mind.

You wasted a lot of time with anything other than this. Simultaneously complaining about how that thread of discussion is still going on even though it's being perpetuated by you, too, multiple times now. It's yelling at clouds. You deflected this, too, with a long drama post. Clearly I hit buttons. I asked you to explain yourself, I didn't ask for an unnecessary meta strategy analysis. You can't go around underlining unrelated phrases and acting like it proves something. I'm not letting you get away with it. I'm glad you did go back and read. You read into it way too much, though. It's day 1 and we have fuck all. I'm trying to create something out of nothing and you want nothing apparently.

I don't think I'm being assertive or within any shtick. I think that's being projected onto me in a self-fulfilling manner. I almost dropped out of the game when StarSketch called me trolling for no reason. I think this largely exists externally and I wish people would grow past their preconceived notions. It obviously frustrates me, if anyone saw the Werewolf game.

Ok, this is coming in late, but whatever.

Honest question. Do you honestly not see how you come off as aggressive? This isn't even a caricature, I didn't get this same level from you in Cthulhu, and iirc not so much in Archer either.

If you feel like you're being caricatured, then I'm sorry for doing so, but don't pretend that it's all projecting.

I'll say this much

1. Your style of constantly pursuing someone for answers is useful
2. I'd rather we not lynch you, simply based on the fact that you've almost always had to deal with getting or nearly being lynched day 1

On number 1, I just think that in day 1, you're acting overeager to do so and get answers that aren't really there.

I found bolded sort of ironic tbh

Brb reading all of xam and ultrajay's posts

If we're really doing this. I don't like Seath,I think at this point GAFIA has a disturbing tendency to just let players go for continuing to act like themselves, as from what I've seen, Seath has contributed jack shit in other games as well, and just cause he was town before he gets away with it

Never been in a game with him, and that's based on a cursory glance, but it's incredibly frustrating

Swamped

Banned

Please Xam, you were not the reason town "lost" in the Werewolf reboot. The village lost because we were collectively idiots.

The Xam logic is that his play is much more reserved since Werewolf.

I'm certainly not voting for Xam because of previous playstyles. The fact that he himself is using that as an excuse this time around is raising red flags to me. But that's not the main reason for my vote. Here's why I'm lynching Xam:

1. Fluffy posts with very little content related to the game. Other fluff posters have at least contributed reads or meaningful votes.

2. No real stances taken all day phase. Feels cautious overall.

Xam could be Chaos trying to skirt by. I find him a better vote than UJ anyway.

Can i just add that I'm really not a fan of heavily relying on previous games to dictate how we expect someone to play this time around? It's not super fun, especially considering we have a new player in our midst.

Sorian

Banned
That's awfully presumptuous.

You may not have the same perspective of me of what went wrong in NX, but I think letting Blarg's craziness snowball caused many of us a lot of grief there. Take it for what it is, Sorian, you're wasting your time with these potshots.

In a later post, you mention he's been valuable before. Elaborate please. Either my memory is failing me or I just wasn't around for it.

Here's why I don't think UltraJay (or Xamtheking, since the reasoning applies to him too) are not scum.

Their posting is far too uncoordinated. You guys are taking shots at UJ for stuff like not following up on posts. That behavior is more consistent with player's who are less engaged. What I've learned to expect from mafia, especially those who do not have the name Darryl, are posts that are much more coordinated - those that try to imitate "good" town players. Now, that said...

This fucker right here is giving me scummy vibes. He's not said much in the last few days, which is typical behavior from someone who doesn't want to reveal too much information. Plus, he's been...

blatantly ignoring the climate of the thread. I would make two predictions from this:

1) He's scum
2) He's scum and he's trying to draw attention to or away from one of UJ and/or Xam.

Thoughts, Sorian? You are the most concerned I not vote for Blarg.

NX's main downfall was you let Blarg and Salva play that stupid game and lost two town that day when you should have only lost one, combine that with odd play from others (Kark), letting me live, etc. Blaming Blarg when he was barely any of the issue is going a bit overboard. Without speaking to games in progress, Blarg is consistently on the money in most games he plays in, see Cthulhu as an example off the top of my head, he knows what he is doing, he just dicks around until he has a solid lead.

Your thing about Xam and UJ assumes a cohesive scum team that is also running everything by each other at all times. That isn't always the case, scum post on their own without the go ahead from others very often. Both of these two posters have made mistakes that doesn't stop them from being scum in any way. Things get said and that is that.

Yes, I obviously think Hyper is scummy as well, I think UJ has a higher probability of being scum personally, only made worse by the fact that he is watching the thread but is not engaging since Xam is feeling more heat.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the case on either player, it really just looks like we're lynching an inactive

So my vote stands. Seath hasn't even fucking tried, and we're cool with letting him get away with it because he's consistent.

Good thing I know how to play for the next couple of games. It will be my own multi-game gambit

Sorian

Banned
Can i just add that I'm really not a fan of heavily relying on previous games to dictate how we expect someone to play this time around? It's not super fun, especially considering we have a new player in our midst.

Real advice, you're nerfing yourself when reading people. You already have pre-conceived notions and you are trying to force them away (Blarg will be crazy, I will post a lot, etc.) Yes, it makes it a little hard on new people but you need to hunt for yourself not worry about new people, they will bring their fresh perspective when they make reads, you are here to bring that vet perspective. Past play is extremely valuable in picking up scum.

Sorian

Banned
Brb reading all of xam and ultrajay's posts

If we're really doing this. I don't like Seath,I think at this point GAFIA has a disturbing tendency to just let players go for continuing to act like themselves, as from what I've seen, Seath has contributed jack shit in other games as well, and just cause he was town before he gets away with it

Never been in a game with him, and that's based on a cursory glance, but it's incredibly frustrating

Yeah, I'm not seeing the case on either player, it really just looks like we're lynching an inactive

So my vote stands. Seath hasn't even fucking tried, and we're cool with letting him get away with it because he's consistent.

Good thing I know how to play for the next couple of games. It will be my own multi-game gambit

lol 5 minutes, not even pretending to go back and look into things. Scummy as fuck, I'm letting this story line play out today but you are day 2 for sure.

Swamped

Banned
Real advice, you're nerfing yourself when reading people. You already have pre-conceived notions and you are trying to force them away (Blarg will be crazy, I will post a lot, etc.) Yes, it makes it a little hard on new people but you need to hunt for yourself not worry about new people, they will bring their fresh perspective when they make reads, you are here to bring that vet perspective. Past play is extremely valuable in picking up scum.

Its ok to rely on that stuff for D1 gut feels, but i really don't want past ghosts to be the main, or only, reason i am lynching someone.

True, but to an extent. If a player is actively trying to escape a certain notion about their playstyle, I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt. If you're blarg or Sorian or Seath who doesn't even try, then fuck 'em.

I can't imagine it's fun being caricatured into a certain playstyle

lol 5 minutes, not even pretending to go back and look into things. Scummy as fuck, I'm letting this story line play out today but you are day 2 for sure.

I'm not even sure you realize how many posts they both have...

A cursory glance isn't difficult whatsoever.

Top Bottom