• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD coming on March 17 2015. Download code for FFXV demo included

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
And why are we comparing the two games, though?

Same corporate culture and development workflow means the same mistakes can, and probably have been, made.

It's nice to say "after that last disaster, we've learned our lesson" but a corporate structure is a rigid thing that lip service can't actually fix.

Go_Ly_Dow

hey guys ;)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=115909031&postcount=2615

JxhKWwU.gif

So if you paid attention to my tease, this was it. A mirror image of the FFXIII AC demo. ;)

slow. LOOK AT THE DATE

3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif

Dark_castle

Let's reflect on the fact that Final Fantasy XIII's gameplay only begun development in order to complete its demo.

I want to believe the demo is evidence of XV being a real game coming soon.... but it could well be a development goal to even get something playable made.

Is there some misunderstanding here? As far as I know, XIII development begun when they finally have an idea on what to work on after completing a tech demo, a complete non-playable concept teaser trailer. When XIII playable demo was released, the final game was out several months later.

The situation for XV is not quite the same.

botty

Banned
Same corporate culture and development workflow means the same mistakes can, and probably have been, made.

It's nice to say "after that last disaster, we've learned our lesson" but a corporate structure is a rigid thing that lip service can't actually fix.

I don't see how the culture and workflow are the same at all. It's a fair assessment to say that FFXV was in a development black hole for some time, while 13 at least managed to release 3 iterations of its game. Also, FFXV seems to be a lot more focused on appealing to a wider audience (Western, etc) with its KH-esque/action design. Different teams, different people in charge. I find it hard to really make this call so early :/

BocoDragon

What? Fill me in, please.

There was a post-mortem on FFXIII in Game Developer magazine in 2010.

It was revealed that most of XIII's development time was spent on developing art assets and waiting for the game engine to be finalized. The team didn't actually attempt to create a working game until the Advent Children Complete demo was planned. So in essence, the demo was less of a slice of a completed game, and more of a project exercise to create something playable. And that demo functioned as the model for what they developed into the final game.

Famassu

Both in dev hell.
We saw actual (early) gameplay of FFXV in January 2011 already. Unlike Toriyama, Nomura HAS had a pretty clear vision of what FFXV would be since very early on. FFXV's version "development hell" has been "sorry guys, we need you to help us with this other thing before moving on to develop FFXV" whereas FFXIII's was more of a "we have no idea what the hell we're doing". Not that FFXV's development has been completely problem free, game's of this scope & ambition never are, but yeah, the reason it has taken this long mostly has to do with stuff surrounding FFXV and not FFXV itself, other than it's a massive game which takes time to develop.

SOLDIER

I really hope the demo is ready the same day as Type-0's release.

That would be a heck of a good FF day. Remember when we used to have those?

desu

Pretty obvious that this was very very likely to happen. Hope we will get some additional information on both titles soon.

BocoDragon

I don't see how the culture and workflow are the same at all. It's a fair assessment to say that FFXV was in a development black hole for some time, while 13 at least managed to release 3 iterations of its game. Also, FFXV seems to be a lot more focused on appealing to a wider audience (Western, etc) with its KH-esque/action design. Different teams, different people in charge. I find it hard to really make this call so early :/

8 years since this was announced, and you'd call this "early"?

I think it's absolutely crystal clear that Versus/XV is beset by the exact same production flaws that led to XIII taking so long and critically under-performing. No, based on the time it's taken, it is actually showing worse symptoms of development hell.

The question is whether the game will have spent long in this sluggish oven to come out a good game anyway.

And I do think we have plenty of precedence to look at a demo and not think "this means its a slice of a bigger game that is around the corner" but rather "this might be a mere milestone in development, and could certainly be one of the first pieces of the game that they actually complete in full".

Top Bottom