• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII Won't Be at TGS + Other S-E TGS Line-up News

Nora Kisaragi said:
OH HELL NO.
Noctis looks generic in that picture
do.not.want.

The other characters look great, but something looks very off about Noctis, like something about him changed, maybe it's the face and hair and everything else..
There nothing generic about Notics; Nomura is paying homage to Sasuke :p

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Spiegel said:
fPMyd.jpg

I think people can keep posting this image with different size and quality and everytime I'll stare at it for minutes...
Did I say already I love T.Nomura?
:___

Like Kagari said they should go back promoting game with artworks, I really don't get why they've stop with XIII. The only characters by Nomura that I've seen in XIII were Light and Snow :\

JudgeN

Amir0x said:
Witcher 2 was announced in 2009 and released in 2011, has visuals about five trillion times better than FFXIII, is far more open-ended, has superior gameplay and was made by a development team likely half as large and - surprise surprise - they did this even while developing a brand new visual engine.

You may indeed try to fluff your post with crap about how it's not "Duke Nukem" or whatever, but that's just trying to ignore the obvious. SquareEnix is a horrible inefficient developer who cannot get a firm grasp on next-gen development and has even admitted so themselves.

Just to be fair Witcher 2 is only ran on 1 platform vs SE running on HD twins and Witcher 2 took 3.5 years to make. Which isn't to far off for normal AAA consoles games being made on 2/3 platforms, its not a straight forward comparison at all IMO. I also do think FFXIII is on uncharted level in terms of visuals, game look incredible on PS3.

I personally don't think SE development is bad in terms of time the teams are actually working on the games, the problem is that they announce shit as soon as they have a title. Versus shouldn't have been announced until development actually started in 2008 or whenever P3B was done.

120110516122543.jpg

Skilletor

Does anybody have some HD screens of CG for vs13?

Kagari? Please? :)

Looking for images as high resolution as possible. Going to put this on an arcade stick.

-Pyromaniac- said:
They all look like they could be brothers and sisters, except Noctis, he looks adopted.

Noctis, in my opinion, looks like Cecil, Cloud, and Paine all had a baby together. Ah man, I can't wait for that game ugh.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
dramatis said:
What an underwhelming picture.
This. I was expecting more. I'd make a great poster for Nomura art fans, though. That, I won't deny.

-Pyromaniac- said:
They all look like they could be brothers and sisters, except Noctis, he looks adopted.
Nah. Noctis looks like he's related based on his facial features. He just looks like the black sheep of the family.

Perfo

Shadow780 said:
"They all look alike" has finally replaced belts and zippers.

I was thinking the same, it'll never end. One way or another, people have to speak bad of this character designer and director :p

PS: except me! I don't wanna even imagine FF completely without him in future for more than one title ; ;

Throavium

LiK said:
Shigenori Soejima is my current god.
Yeah, I can see what you mean. I definitely like his art-style. Never had a problem with it, although it's odd that I can't compare it to Nomura's work, or vice versa.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
i-Lo said:
I feel like cursing... big time.

Does anyone know whether XIII-2 will be out before Versus?
Versus won't even be on the TGS this year, so yeah, probably.

You're kidding, right?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
AgentChris said:
Same here.
Nomura haters, who do you think is the best artist out of SE or even Japan?
I don't hate Nomura. But I like quite a few artists' works more.

For example:
-Shigenori Soejima
-Akihiko Yoshida (<3 him)
-Kazuma Kaneko
-Fumi Ishikawa (<3 her work a lot)
-Satoshi Urushihara (Langrisser, Growlanser)
-Kousuke Fujishima
-Mutsumi Inomata
-Toru Nakayama
-and more

Oh, and Korean artist Hyung-Tae Kim (Magna Carta) is pretty great...

*shrug* There isn't anything bad about Nomura's work. I just like some other artists' work better.

Skilletor

Throavium said:
Would you say that he got completely better? Or that his style completely changed?

I don't think his style changed. I think he's gotten progressively better from the PS1 era to now. I still see some of that in the FF13 art.

LiK said:
Since Kingdom Hearts 2 and CoM. That was his best stuff, imho.

I agree, but I'm biased because I love the KH games. I love his style, though. I just don't care for these characters as much. Except Noctis.

Perfo

I take the chance to ask, has ever been published an artbook with T.Nomura's arts?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Perfo said:
I take the chance to ask, has ever been published an artbook with T.Nomura's arts?
Not for his works as whole specifically, I don't think. Which is kind of a shame. I'd like to see what he could do when taken outside of the realm of Square-Enix.

Best bet are the game-specific artbooks such as:
Final Fantasy VII: Reunion Files
Any of these KH Artbooks
The Parasite Eve artbook

You can also try the Ultimanias. They usually have concept art and character art.

Speaking of FF-related artists, I know Amano has a few (World of Amano, Dawn: The Worlds of Final Fantasy, Fairies, etc), and they're generally quite gorgeous.

I want an Akihiko Yoshida artbook very much, myself.

Perfo

Dark Schala said:
Not for his works as whole specifically, I don't think. Which is kind of a shame. I'd like to see what he could do when taken outside of the realm of Square-Enix.

Best bet are the game-specific artbooks such as:
Final Fantasy VII: Reunion Files
Any of these KH Artbooks
The Parasite Eve artbook

You can also try the Ultimanias. They usually have concept art and character art.

Speaking of FF-related artists, I know Amano has a few (World of Amano, Dawn: The Worlds of Final Fantasy, Fairies, etc), and they're generally quite gorgeous.

I want an Akihiko Yoshida artbook very much, myself.

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll consider buying some, especially ultimanias' guides that I was planning to. I was hoping for a collection of his best works. As for Amano, I already got some of those, love him too :p

They really should use the hand drawn artwork for all the menus in Versus, FFVII style. It would help with that modern/old school FF feel they're going for.

Machina and Noel look really hot in that pic. <3 ^_^ wheee /fangirl moment

I've always liked Nomura's hand-drawn art. It's a lot nicer than a lot of video game artwork and I think people give him a bad rap cause they simply don't like his style. His TWEWY artwork was unique and his designs really brought that game to life. Of course Gen Kobayashi helped too iirc.

I also really love Soejima now since Persona and Catherine. I think his art book is coming out in the US? I'll definitely try to find it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I feel like Nomura has settled down into a style that's actually half-appealing.

He almost reached self parody a decade ago with characters like Tidus, Sora and Lulu (belt-skirt).

I've always loved VIII's designs and Type-0 feels the most similarly restrained-but-cool.

xxczx

H_Prestige said:
They really should use the hand drawn artwork for all the menus in Versus, FFVII style. It would help with that modern/old school FF feel they're going for.
I would dig that.
Though I liked FFXIII menu, I'd still prefer this over CGs.

Top Bottom