• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII PC re-release. SE Store Exclusive - Out now, Internet required

Jedi2016

Every time they bring this up, I keep saying "Wait.. hasn't there always been a PC version?"

I'm assuming HD support this time, and probably new 2D assets like menus and the like. 320x240 fight menus would look really shit on a 1080p monitor. Otherwise, I expect it to be pretty much unchanged.

I'll probably pick it up.

Aeana

So? Up-rezzed art and graphics? HD pre-rendered backgrounds???

I'm curious, Square! If this is true, I will buy this bitch all over again.
If they actually put any work into this, you could rest assured that it would be more than $10.

Nabs

The minimum system requirements are:
Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7 (32/64-bit)
2GHz Processor or faster
1GB RAM
DirectX 9-compatible graphic card

Achievements

Whether you’re a seasoned FINAL FANTASY VII veteran or exploring this RPG classic for the very first time, show off your in-game accomplishments and put your gaming skills to the test with 36 brand new achievements to unlock. Share your profile with friends online to find out who is the ultimate FINAL FANTASY fan.

Character Booster
Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure.

Cloud Saves
Whether you’re away from home or simply using a different computer to play, enjoy FINAL FANTASY VII wherever you are. With cloud save support in FINAL FANTASY VII you can continue your game progress right where you left off, all you need is an internet connection.

Coming Soon
Available Exclusively on the SQUARE ENIX Store

iswaUubQg3bb1.gif

Is this the beginning of some new Square-Enix network?

Otherwise who cares if you have achievements? Achievements are cool because they can be shown on various games across a network.

Omikaru

The last thing I want is another account to play my already fragmented digital library. No buy until it's on something like Steam, GMG, Gamersgate, GOG or whatever.

Whilst I'm not one of those "Steam only" guys, even I have my limits, and I can't be fucked dealing with so many accounts.

DaBuddaDa

Watched the trailer. Looks like FFVII alright. I hope they just upres the menus and add support for widescreen; standard port stuff. The game itself doesn't need much tweaking. I think the absurdly blocky character models are sort of endearing this day in age.

Now, announce that HD port of FFX for PC too Square. You know you want to.

tsumineko

What if they're talking about this store?

Oh, and watch Australia get screwed. It'll be the SNES days all over again! Do it for the nostalgia, Square!

Holy re-post batman.

ssoass

I'm interested... I had recently been thinking about how Square should put a free PC version of FFVII on the internet so that everyone who was slightly interested in it could get acquainted with this amazing classic, but a new version with features like achievements sounds good too.

At first I read the topic title like "Final Fantasy XII announced for PC, System Spec" and I got even more excited... I really want an HD version of FFXII.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What's the problem with being exclusive to Square Enix store?

Or is this another case of GAF wanting everything on Steam?

Duxxy3

Why do i get the feeling that they spent about 10 minutes porting this (considering there was already a pc version).

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
If they actually put any work into this, you could rest assured that it would be more than $10.

They charged $40 for a 15 year old SNES game that they ported to the DS. Using that scaling, this game will probably cost $99.

Still I wonder why they're asking for a 2GHz processor an 1GB of RAM, this thing used to run on a Pentium 200Mhz MMX with a Voodoo2 perfectly :D

Because it's being made to run on modern operating systems.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Aahah LOL, CG only trailer, but in this case even CG looks like crap :p
Still I wonder why they're asking for a 2GHz processor an 1GB of RAM, this thing used to run on a Pentium 200Mhz MMX with a Voodoo2 perfectly :D

Probably because they know no one is(should be) still using such crappy computers, so they put the bare minimum people should be using in 2012.

I guess i should throw away my 4 CDs of the original version now.

big_z

im sure the 320x240 graphics will look amazing on todays monitors. you're not going to see higher res graphics outside of maybe menus since all the game assets are low res.

higher specs most likely means game is being emulated as the original pc version is long out dated.

but there already was a PC version.

Press Clippings | FFVII for the PC Official Announcement
EIDOS AND SQUARESOFT ANNOUNCE THE RELEASE OF FINAL FANTASY VII FOR THE PC

Epic Summer Blockbuster Sets a New Standard for Role-Playing Games on the PC

June 25, 1998, San Francisco - The long awaited, best-selling PlayStation game, Final Fantasy VII, from the 18 million unit, best-selling Final Fantasy franchise, is now shipping for the PC CD-ROM platform. One of the summer's premiere blockbuster titles, Final Fantasy VII for the PC is published by Eidos Interactive, known for its mega-hit cross-platform Tomb Raider games, and developed by Square Co., Ltd., known in the gaming industry for creating the legendary Final Fantasy franchise. SquareSoft, Inc., a subsidiary of Square Co., Ltd. has recreated the game for the PC.

"Final Fantasy fans and PC owners have been waiting years for this game to arrive," said Mike McGarvey, COO, Eidos Interactive. "We're thrilled to be shipping this ground-breaking PC game that will entrench consumers in gameplay all summer long."

A multi-million dollar production, Final Fantasy VII fills four CD-ROMs and features more than 60 minutes of full-motion movies, more than 20 beautifully rendered, high quality, computer-generated futuristic cities and towns to explore and more than 50 hours of seamless gameplay. The PC's 3D graphics capabilities give Final Fantasy VII heightened resolution on background scenes, magic effects and small details such as facial expressions on the nine playable characters, giving the PC version a gorgeous, highly crafted movie-like quality. Final Fantasy VII is the first role-playing game to offer a seamless transition from full-motion computer generated movie sequences to actual gameplay.

Square Soft, Inc., a subsidiary of Square Co., Ltd. Japan, manages the development of video games in North America and Europe. The company was established in Redmond, Wash., and relocated its headquarters to Costa Mesa, Calif. in July 1996.

Eidos Interactive, Inc. is a leading developer and publisher of interactive entertainment products for the PC, Sony PlayStation, Nintendo 64 as well as the Internet. Eidos Interactive is part of London-based Eidos plc (NASDAQ: EIDSY), with additional offices in San Francisco, Paris and Hamburg, Germany. Eidos plc also includes Eidos Technologies, a software-based video compression company, Glassworks, a state-of-the-art post-production facility specializing in digital special effects for the television, feature film and advertising industries. More information on Eidos Interactive's line of products can be on the Internet at http://www.eidosinteractive.com.

http://www.ff7citadel.com/press/pr_pc.shtml

So the Character Booster is likely based on the fan-based mod JENOVA from the original PC release. The JENOVA source files are available here:
http://qhimm.com/#ff7

The reason I say this is because we reported on the fact SE was trying to get the PC versions of FF7 and FF8 up and running decently on modern hardware - via Steam - this time last year.
http://rpgsite.net/articles/294-fin...e-on-steam--but-will-likely-never-see-release

We were given access to the Steam files. We found several mods from the Qhimm Community included in the version of FF8 we were able to download directly from Steam, including a couple of patches for stability on XP/Vista/7 that are on the Qhimm message boards. They'd actually changed the version number and wrote "Compiled by Square Enix" on the program. At the time 7 was untouched.

The Character Booster feature smells so much like JENOVA that with this other evidence I'd suggest it probably IS Jenova, edited by SE.

7 and 8 are both still in the Steam Registry.

Olli

Banned
Why such high specs for such a game ? And why the hell not on steam? No one is really going to buy that if this will not be released on steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's already announced to be $10.
And FF4 DS is not a "port" at all. Don't be silly.

The website leak only mentioned the UK and Euro prices (£7.99 and €9.99 respectively), unless you're referring to something else.

Thrakier

So the Cloud Saves are likely based on the fan-based mod JENOVA from the original PC release. The JENOVA source files are available here:

The reason I say this is because we reported on the fact SE was trying to get the PC versions of FF7 and FF8 up and running decently on modern hardware - via Steam - this time last year.
http://rpgsite.net/articles/294-fin...e-on-steam--but-will-likely-never-see-release

We were given access to the Steam files. We found several mods from the Qhimm Community included in the version of FF8 we were able to download directly from Steam, including a couple of patches for stability on XP/Vista/7 that are on the Qhimm message boards. They'd actually changed the version number and written "Compiled by Square Enix" on the program.

The Character Booster feature smells so much like JENOVA that with this other evidence I'd suggest it probably IS Jenova, edited by SE.

lol

hamchan

Pretty sneaky if they're trying to get as many people to buy it from their own store first so they make 100% of that money and then release it on steam later.

Aeana

So the Cloud Saves are likely based on the fan-based mod JENOVA from the original PC release. The JENOVA source files are available here:

We were given access to the Steam files. We found several mods from the Qhimm Community included in the version of FF8 we were able to download directly from Steam, including a couple of patches for stability on XP/Vista/7 that are on the Qhimm message boards. They'd actually changed the version number and written "Compiled by Square Enix" on the program.

I'm not seeing what JENOVA has to do with cloud saves?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
It's already announced to be $10.
And FF4 DS is not a "port" at all. Don't be silly.

Which is fine by me. Edit: £7.99 UK price? Ok, fine.

The site's being hammered at the moment, but the moment it's available, I'm buying it.

Just give the game to me Square, please!

Top Bottom