• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII PC re-release. SE Store Exclusive - Out now, Internet required

tsumineko

From the media section on the website:

800x-1

800x-1

800x-1

More at Eurogamer

Hey I remember those from 1997.

I still can't believe the difference between the CGI cut scenes in VII and VIII!

They've shot themselves in the foot by not doing a Steam release.

So? Up-rezzed art and graphics? HD pre-rendered backgrounds???

I'm curious, Square! If this is true, I will buy this bitch all over again.

pretty sure they no longer have the original assets. a lot of companies just weren't that forward thinking back in 1997.

also, the trailer is hilarious.

So the Cloud Saves are likely based on the fan-based mod JENOVA from the original PC release. The JENOVA source files are available here:
http://qhimm.com/#ff7

The reason I say this is because we reported on the fact SE was trying to get the PC versions of FF7 and FF8 up and running decently on modern hardware - via Steam - this time last year.
http://rpgsite.net/articles/294-fin...e-on-steam--but-will-likely-never-see-release

We were given access to the Steam files. We found several mods from the Qhimm Community included in the version of FF8 we were able to download directly from Steam, including a couple of patches for stability on XP/Vista/7 that are on the Qhimm message boards. They'd actually changed the version number and written "Compiled by Square Enix" on the program. At the time 7 was untouched.

The Character Booster feature smells so much like JENOVA that with this other evidence I'd suggest it probably IS Jenova, edited by SE.

7 and 8 are both still in the Steam Registry.

Sounds like what happened with Cave Story on Wii.

So is it GFWL or some such? I see no point in the achievements if they're not GFW or Steam :(

SE has a new social site thing they're doing for this, it seems. The text in the description makes it sound that way, anyway -- "Share your profile with friends online to find out who is the ultimate FINAL FANTASY fan."

Kenka

So the Character Booster is likely based on the fan-based mod JENOVA from the original PC release. The JENOVA source files are available here:
http://qhimm.com/#ff7

The reason I say this is because we reported on the fact SE was trying to get the PC versions of FF7 and FF8 up and running decently on modern hardware - via Steam - this time last year.
http://rpgsite.net/articles/294-fin...e-on-steam--but-will-likely-never-see-release

We were given access to the Steam files. We found several mods from the Qhimm Community included in the version of FF8 we were able to download directly from Steam, including a couple of patches for stability on XP/Vista/7 that are on the Qhimm message boards. They'd actually changed the version number and wrote "Compiled by Square Enix" on the program. At the time 7 was untouched.

The Character Booster feature smells so much like JENOVA that with this other evidence I'd suggest it probably IS Jenova, edited by SE.

7 and 8 are both still in the Steam Registry.
If true, can S-E make money out of the work of others ?

This just seems like such an odd decision. Why wouldn't you at the very least release your product on Steam and iOS? VII would sell like hotcakes on Steam just for the sake of people wanting it in their library and it'd do great on iOS for the same reasons Sonic CD did.

Baffling.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The trailer made my cry.

It's 1997 all over again, baby!

M3d10n

I hope it is actually the PC version with a few fixes (pre-recorded music instead of midi, not crashing) and with the backgrounds/ui scaled up with some nice filter (either bicubic or lanczos).

The PC version did look better than the PSOne version (when it worked). There was bilinear filtering, no texture warping, no polygon jittering and the field characters were actually dynamically lit.

Gravijah

This just seems like such an odd decision. Why wouldn't you at the very least release your product on Steam and iOS? VII would sell like hotcakes on Steam just for the sake of people wanting it in their library and it'd do great on iOS for the same reasons Sonic CD did.

Baffling.

it's not on iOS because that would require they put in some effort.

DaBuddaDa

Things don't commonly pop up on the Steam registry for shits and giggles. There has to be some sort of extended plan to bring this to the platform in the future.

McNum

Wow, Square-Enix's websites are being hammered now. This does not bode well for the release day...

It amuses me that the last bullet point can be summed up as "Will actually run on your PC".

Baffling.

I have to assume it's coming but they are starting with their own store. FFVII on iOS would be... interesting.

Top Bottom