• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII PC re-release. SE Store Exclusive - Out now, Internet required

Seik

Banned
After changing the music to PS1 original, this is definitely the definitive version of Final Fantasy VII.

Ok man, where are those files? Do want.

Seriously, because its like you seem to have those, share that shit with us so I can have a more valid reason to buy this than that simple fanboyism of mine.

I tried the Character Booster on a save file. It sets your characters' hp to 9999/9999, mp to 999/999, and gil to 49,999,999.

The person using this for a first playthrough should feel the heavy, tremendously heavy weight of shame. :p

I tried the Character Booster on a save file. It sets your characters' hp to 9999/9999, mp to 999/999, and gil to 49,999,999.

It reminds me of when I was looking for endgame save files on gamefaqs for my PSN version. Most of them are hacked games with ridiculous stat boosts and absolutely no chance for any challenge. I wish it was just an editable spreadsheet or something instead of godmode.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Holy shit, can someone tell me what the "Switch" button is assigned to? I can't go to the menus from the fucking chocobo race-place and I haven't saved in hours. Fucking idiotic control-scheme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZfkt0GR8hk

Yeah.

Best musical moment in the whole game. Entirely ruined.

I am not one to disregard a version of a game because of one ruined song. It's like my twelfth time through the game, and a new variation of the music is welcome. It's been a hit or miss so far. With some sounding better...some worse. Either way it's new and different and that's what matters to me. If I wanted the same game I would turn on my PS3.

It is, I'm still salty at how that mess shits up when everything reaches climax.

I mean, in this game, at this specific moment, for some this is pure blasphemy and I understand that.

I'm all for different sounding remixes, it can be a slight breath of fresh air, but that remix is a breath of donkey fart.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
The music sounds like the original version, only slightly arranged or something, but still bad :(

I'm sure you can pull a switcharoo on the ogg files right (despite no mod support)? Just replace em with better quality versions. People have put remastered versions of the whole soundtrack on the internet that sounds sweet as hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhn9YcoSg1Q

Eyothrie

Hmm...does this game not save your save data locally when you're connected? When I tried it, I disconnected while playing the game (to see if I'd get an error message), so it saved my current progress locally, that's why I didn't have your problem. Seems pretty dumb if it really saves online only when connected.

Nope. The game saves locally only if you start a brand new game while disconnected, or if you disconnect from the internet mid game as in your case. I can't continue where I last saved while online after disconnecting and starting the game offline. Ridiculous.

Eyothrie

The game definitely also saves locally when you play online, I just tried it. I don't know why Eyothrie had a problem before.

I can't get it to work. I just left Midgar. When I disconnect and start the game back up, my only option is to start a new game? I may be doing something wrong, but I don't think so? hmmm...

Edit: figured it out:/ I let the "New Game/Continue" screen sit for about 30 seconds, and then the message popped up letting me know that I can now only save locally. The "Continue" option became available at that point. Sorry for the confusion! DOH!

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
The music sounds like the original version, only slightly arranged or something, but still bad :(

I'm sure you can pull a switcharoo on the ogg files right (despite no mod support)? Just replace em with better quality versions. People have put remastered versions of the whole soundtrack on the internet that sounds sweet as hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhn9YcoSg1Q

It sounds like it's missing secondary instruments. Not terrible, but not wonderful.

Muskweeto

Guys, can anyone tell me if its against the rules if someone posts a link to DL the OG psx version .ogg files?

Because it seems to be working and people should, you know, have access to that.

I would like to know this, I would love to have the original music, it would make this my favourite version by far.

I've been Googling but can't find them.

So, they've lightly remixed the (shit) PC music, added in the ability for 3D objects to be rendered at your native resolution and slapped DRM on it and called it a day? LOL. Waiting for the GOG version to be half price.

I can finally see what Tifa wore that day ;_;
zmSEc.png

Apparently she forgot to wear her knees.

But really I owned the original PC port way back in the day, but I could never get it to work on my old Windows 98 PC, no matter what I tried. I remember getting rid of it to a pawn shop and picking up the PSx version instead.

This version does look tempting.

antitrop

DRM, bad filters and bad music ftw?
Who gives a shit about DRM? I have no idea what you mean by "bad filters", the game looks the best it ever has with an increased resolution and widescreen support, and the music can be changed back the original very easily using the .rar file linked higher in the thread.

I am noticing the characters faces much more because of the improved resolution. It's kinda creepy actually, particularly during battle. Even the smallest enemies such as that tiny green starfish like enemy in the first area looks intricately detailed. A lot of those details didn't stand out when I played it on the PS1.

Anyway, I just reached 7th Heaven Bar. And wondering what weird challenge I am going to do for the game to make it difficult once I leave Midgar.

Aeana

Who gives a shit about DRM? I have no idea what you mean by "bad filters", the game looks the best it ever has with an increased resolution and widescreen support, and the music can be changed back the original very easily using the .rar file linked higher in the thread.

Does it actually have widescreen support? The screenshots I've seen in this thread that are widescreen aspect have everything totally stretched.

Seik

Banned
Aaaargh. >_<

OK I'll buy it in a few minutes. the manual music patch seems to make this game like the perfect port, I'll dip.

antitrop

Does it actually have widescreen support? The screenshots I've seen in this thread that are widescreen aspect have everything totally stretched.
It's very, very slightly stretched but it's almost unnoticeable when actually playing through the game. It doesn't look anywhere near as bad as stretching 4:3.

It's stretched alright. The 4:3 aspect ratio looks great though.

Edit: Hmmm, actually it could be a lot worse. The game already had the black bar at the bottom anyway, so it doesn't make that much difference. It's nice seeing FF VII on the entire screen though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The Cosmo Canyon song is missing the bass ._.

Muskweeto

Aaaargh. >_<

OK I'll buy it in a few minutes. the manual music patch seems to make this game like the perfect port, I'll dip.

Do it.

DOOOO IIIIIT!

You won't regret it, that is, if you don't have any damn connection issues.

I've played this game countless times over the years and I still manage to have just as much fun playing it every time.

Eyothrie

Being able to switch back and forth between the new music and the PS1 music is great. Hooray for PC. Thanks again for that link!

DeVeAn

I didn't back up the PC music...Ah well, PS1 music is the only way to listen anyway. Now for some character mods.

Top Bottom