• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII PC re-release. SE Store Exclusive - Out now, Internet required

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How does it sound compared to the 1998 version? Is the mixing for the bass even quieter than this one?
Okay no the one in this version is more "clearer" and the bass doesn't end abruptly every time. The 2012 PC-version is much better.

Seik

Banned
Do it.

DOOOO IIIIIT!

You won't regret it, that is, if you don't have any damn connection issues.

I've played this game countless times over the years and I still manage to have just as much fun playing it every time.

Hmmmm, PFFFHMHMMMHM...

HHHHNNNNNNNNNNNG!!!

CMtMl.png
02MnG.jpg

One of us, one of us, one of us! o_o

I actually played it more times than I can count too. I have the OG PC version (in french though, I prefer english from far) but this one, with the PSX music, feels like a good one to do it again. :)

10$ is nothing compared to the number of hours I'll spend on it.

swit

Erm... ePSX PC emulator can bump up 3D models resolution and stretch the screen like this version. It also allows to set huge amount of optional filters to smooth 2D backgrounds etc. Overall it can look better than this version. Not sure why anyone with original PSX version should be interested in this re-release.

Seik

Banned
oh jesus the shitty reverb on the strings in the battle theme is in EVERY song with strings. drowns out the actual notes.

Switch the files with the ones I posted in the previous page. :)

Should even be in the OP imo, people need that shit. (EDIT: I just PM'd miladesn so he could maybe do it.)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I will die 4 times in the Cave of the Gi.

$10 on that.

Any one willing to increase/lower?

Psy-Phi

Tempted to buy it, but....I have a Vita. I should wait to play the PSN purchased copy I already have and have played half-way twice since I bought it.

Poor timing SE. Also, update the damn pre-rendered backgrounds for the love of god! Would it be that challenging? Would it require building a new engine? They're still images (for the most part, occasional moving beams of light or something), the only limit on the PSX should have been size, resolution and memory. We have plenty more of that now... It'd take time, but it's been long enough that it should have been done already for a game this popular.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I created an xpadder profile for the 360 controller to get the d-pad working properly if anyone is interested. I couldn't stand not having the d-pad for menus!
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7up9au
Thanks!

This + the music switching confirmation means I'm buying this :)

How does it sound compared to the 1998 version? Is the mixing for the bass even quieter than this one?
What the? Is this the original PC version if you had that Yamaha card? That actually sounds really really good :/ Some of the songs really pop more than the PSX version :eek:

I'm tempted to opt for these recordings instead of the PSX music now... Wow!

Tempted to buy it, but....I have a Vita. I should wait to play the PSN purchased copy I already have and have played half-way twice since I bought it.

Poor timing SE. Also, update the damn pre-rendered backgrounds for the love of god! Would it be that challenging? Would it require building a new engine? They're still images (for the most part, occasional moving beams of light or something), the only limit on the PSX should have been size, resolution and memory. We have plenty more of that now... It'd take time, but it's been long enough that it should have been done already for a game this popular.
You expect SE to redraw a bunch of 2d art for a budget PC release? Hah.

Aeana

Well, if they were smart, they would have kept the originals around in higher resolution. Or at least kept the scenes they rendered the still images from so they could do it again at a higher resolution. But odds are good that they didn't do either.

Psy-Phi

Um...yeah. Except do it for all systems they can license it for. It would make the fans happier to see an "HD Re-Release" in that vain than a remake I think. A remake is touchy, done wrong it will irritate. This game is blurry by today's standards, not cute, and it could look so much better retaining the same charm it originally had with more crisp and clarified backgrounds. It would also be less jarring/more seamless from the 3D world (combat and outside of cities) to 2D world.

Danj

I bought it. The downloader from the EU store looks different to the one you guys have been posting screenshots of. Also it maxed out my connection, it was getting 11-12 mbyte/sec - though maybe that's because it's like 4am here.

Aeana

I love how people just assume that completely re-drawing pre-rendered art assets from the late '90s would only take a couple people a few weeks to do.
They wouldn't be re-drawn. Because they're not drawn. They are stills taken from 3D scenes, which, yes, if they still had the source around, would theoretically be pretty quick to do. But knowing Japanese developers, that stuff is all lost.

antitrop

I bought it. The downloader from the EU store looks different to the one you guys have been posting screenshots of. Also it maxed out my connection, it was getting 11-12 mbyte/sec - though maybe that's because it's like 4am here.
rofl, US internet sucks so badly. ><

TheExodu5

Banned
Erm... ePSX PC emulator can bump up 3D models resolution and stretch the screen like this version. It also allows to set huge amount of optional filters to smooth 2D backgrounds etc. Overall it can look better than this version. Not sure why anyone with original PSX version should be interested in this re-release.

Actually, I've been playing the ePSXe version tonight with some filters...but it has issues.

1) Sound isn't perfect. Pete's DSound plugin makes the music sound good, but the sound effects aren't right. Eternal's sound effects sound good, but the music isn't right.

2) 3D model deformation. I don't know the technical term of why this happens, but PSX game 3D geometry warps and shifts constantly...the emulator can't fix this. The PC version of FF7 doesn't have this problem.

I really wish I could apply the Natural Vision shader to the PC version...that would make it entirely definitive for me (assuming I've also modded the music).

Seik

Banned
Actually, I've been playing the ePSXe version tonight with some filters...but it has issues.

1) Sound isn't perfect. Pete's DSound plugin makes the music sound good, but the sound effects aren't right. Eternal's sound effects sound good, but the music isn't right.

2) 3D model deformation. I don't know the technical term of why this happens, but PSX game 3D geometry warps and shifts constantly...the emulator can't fix this. The PC version of FF7 doesn't have this problem.

Exactly the reason why I'm picking this up.

EDIT: I didn't listened to 'Still More Fighting', its horrible.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Um...yeah.

For years people have been hoping for a rerelease of the PC version, that's fixed to work on modern systems (apparently the original version was close to impossible to get to run on a modern system). Now they get it (even some stuff on top like "cloud saves" and achievements) and the complaining starts that this is not the remake that was never promised. This game is exactly what's promised on the store page.

They really could have put this quick effort port on XBLA/PSN (although it's already on PSN as PS1 version). Perhaps it's for the better since both this and the old PC port are not true to the original in visuals/audio. Would rather see them go all out with an "original mode" and "enhanced mode", hi-res PC models, arranged music, etc. But SE is waiting for the remake, aren't they.

What is the achievement list?

The backstory of Mt Corel... oh my God.

Why is everything in this game so good? Why can't we get games like these this gen?

Because developers this generation are all concerned about power/graphics (mostly western developers) instead of quality, which is why, IMO, most of the games on PS3/360 aren't too spectacular, save for a few.

Asides from the dreadful music, man I missed this kind of Final Fantasy. 7 isn't even my favorite, but it's just good to be back. Would love to see Square go back to their roots on the next one.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Video for Achievement List, apparently?

Might stick with the 1998 version and get the codec to play it on Win7, then, if I feel like taking shots or something. Was soorrrrta interested, but not so much now.

Man, i dont like those 2012 versions, you can barely hear some of the notes compared to the 1998 Yamaha ones. If there was a way to change the musics to the Yamaha versions, i'd take them.
Flowers Blooming in the Church from the 1998 PC version is my favourite version of the theme, tbh. More than the PS1 version.

Should have had ones for getting Lv. 99 with all characters, mastering the minigames (snowboarding, chocobo racing, Gold Saucer), maxing out the in-game timer (and the game freezes the timer if you idle), etc. Pretty much wouldn't be satisfied if unless it's do 100% of everything in the game. See everything, max everything. Maybe even throw in "visit all screens" and an annoying one in like "view all dialogue/text in the game". Or not.

I do like the "master all materia" and a few other more time consuming sounding ones. Now SE, wait until next generation, and put a remake and/or enhanced version (without this PC ver's shortcomings) out on PS4/Nextbox digitally (retail is a remake) with these hard ones mentioned. Why next gen? Well, that will be free of achievement/trophy cheating unlike this gen. Right Sony/MS?

The Jason

The music sounds horrible, and I'm listening on studio monitors, with a studio quality audio card (RME HDSP 9632). Will certainly replace the files.

Whogie

Heads up: If your name is member_02357098 like the guy in that Youtube video, when the server finally fixes your name it'll also reset your saves.
Log out and log back in until it's right.

Top Bottom