• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII PC re-release. SE Store Exclusive - Out now, Internet required

demigod

seems to use some sort of activation with 3 activation limit.

WTF, that's stupid. So I'm screwed if I format my comp 4 times? I was going to buy this but after hearing that it requires internet connection, probably gonna skip it now.

VertPin

WTF, Square has not sent me my serial code to activate the game yet. It has been almost an hour. Wait or should I call customer support? (I have also checked all my folders in my email. All I got was a "validation email").

B-Dex

My Download finally worked!

And I don't understand how people can miss their ORDER CONFIRMATION PAGE after ordering that has a big DOWNLOAD link on a BRIGHT GREEN button with serial and unlock codes right underneath it.

VertPin

My Download finally worked!

And I don't understand how people can miss their ORDER CONFIRMATION PAGE after ordering that has a big DOWNLOAD link on a BRIGHT GREEN button with serial and unlock codes right underneath it.

Where is the download page? I have paid for the game and been credited but I have not been able to find a download page.

antitrop

Where is the download page? I have paid for the game and been credited but I have not been able to find a download page.
Honestly, I don't know how you can miss it. On the very next page after I entered my credit card information there was a gigantic button right next to the serial number.

2MF

It will take time, but these companies will reap what they sow with crappy DRM. People have a habit of gradually wising up to things like that...

antitrop

It will take time, but these companies will reap what they sow with crappy DRM. People have a habit of gradually wising up to things like that...
Ya, people have been saying that for 10 years.

Chances are high that Final Fantasy VII sold gangbusters today (despite DRM), just like every other time they re-release any FF game. They'll clean up on this, considering their investment is practically zero.

Roxas

holy shit!!

3385d5ee.png

Let me see if I get this straight:

*There is online connectivity required for this re-release of a game from....is it 97?
*It also comes with limited activations.
*Users on their forums are reporting that the actual download is only valid for 30 days.
*They are hiding the DRM information as much as they can on the actual store page.

So far it seems like a "best of" collection of the worst practices ever when it comes to digital purchases. This must be wrong, surely? And if true, how can anyone be ok with this?

Jubern

For the people interested, the port was done by French company DotEmu, specialized in distribution of retro games. They recently published pretty good ports of Metal Slug 3 and Blazing Star on iOS.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Let me see if I get this straight:

*There is online connectivity required for this re-release of a game from....is it 97?
Only for the first time you start the game.

*It also comes with limited activations.

Yes, that's true. Their wording is kind of unclear though, so I'm not sure if every installation actually contributes to that activation limit.

*Users on their forums are reporting that the actual download is only valid for 30 days.

This is mentioned in the FAQs on the US site. It's not very clear, though, if this only regards the small setup file you get when you buy the game or all installation files or even your activation key.
I haven't found this mentioned on the EU site at all, but that site is pretty barebones anyway. To be honest, I didn't even find the option to redownload the game on the EU site without using the link from the e-mail.

*They are hiding the DRM information as much as they can on the actual store page.

Everything above concerns every game on their download store and is not specific to FF7. The "always-online DRM" is something people made up.

DeVeAn

Why are the even putting DRM on this game? People that pirate the game never plan to buy the game anyways. So why put the consumer who is willing to pay through limitations? It blows my mind.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Why are the even putting DRM on this game? People that pirate the game never plan to buy the game anyways. So why put the consumer who is willing to pay through limitations? It blows my mind.

I guess that's more of a general discussion of DRM, better not to derail the thread.

hlhbk

Okay, after a bunch of testing, I got the PSX music to play through the entire intro bomb run, which would always crash before. The problem was the lack of the "LOOPSTART" Meta Tag in some files.

ob.ogg plays both in the very beginning when you get off the train and during the first boss (and the timed sequence afterwards.) Whenever it reached the end of its loop, the music crashed. I tested this by timing the loop against the length of the file. Once "LOOPSTART: 0" is inserted, the problem disappears. Some songs have LOOPSTARTs other than 0, but for those that didn't, it was probably assumed that it would just default to 0.

So here's the -Fixed- FF7 Fixed Music: http://www.gamefront.com/files/22130809/Fixed+FF7+Fixed+Music.zip
All songs without "LOOPSTART" have had them added.

ga5ltl.jpg

I won't be able to test this until tonight. Can anyone confirm the music is now working correctly?

Choc

Banned
so the US and EU Store are geoblocked in Australia

DEAR SQUARE HOW THE FUCK DO I BUY YOUR GAME

and they wonder why people bloody pirate games.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Aaaaaaaand good morning :3 Fuck, I was so tired yesterday... let's continue!

Robin64

FFVII fans, I need your help. Or wisdom. Whatever!

So I uploaded a few tracks from this yesterday, fine, but that made me look at some of my past videos that I hadn't looked at in a while.

One I had uploaded was a recording of Aerith's Theme from the Distant Worlds concert in London. I noticed it had a copyright notice on it, and thought "Uh oh..", but when I checked the copyright was of a song called "Abfahrt Nach Schlummerland".

As far as I can see, it's not related to Final Fantasy at all, but.. well check out the preview for yourselves on the Amazon page...

http://www.amazon.fr/Abfahrt-Nach-Schlummerland/dp/B005C7G2E4

Anyone shed light?

demigod

Everything above concerns every game on their download store and is not specific to FF7. The "always-online DRM" is something people made up.

Then why does the thread title says "Internet Required"? That pretty much means its "always-online DRM".

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yes Aeris, I would love to go on a date with you... why wouldn't I :_:

The train-scene is beautiful...

Omikron

so the US and EU Store are geoblocked in Australia

DEAR SQUARE HOW THE FUCK DO I BUY YOUR GAME

and they wonder why people bloody pirate games.

Dear Omi,

Thank you for contacting the Square Enix Support Centre.

We are sorry to hear you are unable to purchase FINAL FANTASY VII.

Unfortunately, the game is currently only available from the SQUARE ENIX Store which is only serviced for certain countries.

We apologise you are unable to purchase from the store in your region currently. We are pleased to announce, however, than Australia and New Zealand will have their own SQUARE ENIX Store in the near future and you will then be able to purchase the game. We would advise checking www.square-enix.com for further updates on this.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused in the meantime, but hope you enjoy FINAL FANTASY VII when you are able to purchase it.

Kind regards,

The Square Enix Support Centre team

Thank you again for contacting us and for your interest in Square Enix products!
More help and information is available at the Square Enix Support Centre website.

Oh Sqaure.

Gintoki

So, the only redeeming factor is having an online profile that shows your achievements and some other stats? Guess I'll just stick with my PSN copy.

Yoshichan

Corran, will you be streaming today as-well :3? Can't wait to multitask again!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Then why does the thread title says "Internet Required"? That pretty much means its "always-online DRM".

Because the thread title is wrong? It's been in the title since before the game was released.

As far as I can see, it's not related to Final Fantasy at all, but.. well check out the preview for yourselves on the Amazon page...

Anyone shed light?

Haha, what the hell? I guess Google puts these copyright notices automatically? Somehow I doubt that this children CD even has the rights for that music, but who knows?
Good thing, children don't know about the scene where this music plays. ;)

FFVII fans, I need your help. Or wisdom. Whatever!

So I uploaded a few tracks from this yesterday, fine, but that made me look at some of my past videos that I hadn't looked at in a while.

One I had uploaded was a recording of Aerith's Theme from the Distant Worlds concert in London. I noticed it had a copyright notice on it, and thought "Uh oh..", but when I checked the copyright was of a song called "Abfahrt Nach Schlummerland".

Anyone shed light?

I think Squarenix may be interested to see it!

Yoshichan

Grinding to Aeris lvl4 limit ... so boring ._.

Jucksalbe

Banned

I always loved grinding in FF7, I really can't play the game anymore without grinding all limit breaks to at least the first of level 3 for every character as soon as you leave Midgar.
Actually I already started grinding again on the pathway between sector 5 and 6.

Yoshichan

I always loved grinding in FF7, I really can't play the game anymore without grinding all limit breaks to at least the first of level 3 for every character as soon as you leave Midgar.
Actually I already started grinding again on the pathway between sector 5 and 6.
Tell me about it. I loved grinding a lot as-well, and I kinda still do... but there's just something I hate with grinding limit breaks, specifically for Aeris ._. it probably has to do with the fact that you're forced to do it so early in the game.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Did that for the first time recently myself. I never put her in the party when I had the option, so she was pretty far behind, but the grind isn't so bad playing the original disc on an emulator if you just give her a cover materia and turn frameskip on.

I never found the "kill x enemies" limit unlocks to be that bad, as it goes by pretty quick in the cave by the Zolom with matra magic; it was the "use x limit y times" unlocks that always sucked to grind IMO.

Yoshichan

It doesn't take too long, though, with Hyper and Matra magic.

Edit: Yeah, and of course Cover, if you're really just grinding for one character.
That's what I'm doing right now, of course :p Also, no need for Cover-materia since I kill off every other member lol

It still takes some time!

Yoshichan

best place to do that is at junon near the basement, flip the switch on the wall to make the alarm go off. the mechs there are enemies from disc2 I believe, but you probably know that already
Yup, the damage outcome on those enemies are insane! But I also need to go for the kill xx-enemies Limit-breaks so I prefer the forest where you find Yuffie. Strong, fast enemies + comes in 5 almost at all times~

I do prefer the place in Junon for the experience/AP early on though, farmed three hours in that place yesterday :lol

Heropon

I loved grinding too, but it seems the places I chose weren't the best. I was much more efficient in my last playthrough.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
That's what I'm doing right now, of course :p Also, no need for Cover-materia since I kill off every other member lol

It still takes some time!

Since I was frameskipping to do it I didn't want to kill off my other characters and then have everything happening so fast I didn't notice when Aeris got low on HP.

Yoshichan

Are you streaming yoshi? I'm looking at twitch.tv but there 6 different FF7 streams.
I wish I was, but I'm literally the dumbest person on this planet when it comes to streaming stuff so I gave up on that a long time ago :( Sorry!

Top Bottom