• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII PC re-release. SE Store Exclusive - Out now, Internet required

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hey, Yoshi, do you have to have a character learn their final limit to get the achievement or just obtain the item?
No, you need to actually learn their limit breaks.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
SNES (Wii) version. The music is one of the most defining features of Final Fantasy VI. You don't want to compromise on this front.

Translation isn't that different. Spell names are better in the GBA version, but the dialog isn't really appreciably better (some changes are for the better, such as the opera scene, others are questionable, especially Kefka's dialogue, and renaming Atma to Ultima).

This is what you'll be missing if you play the GBA version.

Esper World
SNES:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79fe0wNariU
GBA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zaf9nacmins

Battle To The Death
SNES:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH40gYZhwWI
GBA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS622OOrEXU

Maybe the most depressing for me was Phantom Train:

SNES: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kck-jRkn5ts

GBA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY5_sFdwRIU

On a proper sound setup, the SNES is some genuinely haunting shit. The GBA one sounds like a farting robot.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Guess I'm heading back to the chocobo races... completely forgot about Enemy Away and Sneak Attack materia ._.

Yoshi's playthrough is reminding me why I love and hate this game so much. I love it because there is so much stuff to do. I hate it...because I can't play without doing everything.

Only thing I have never done is Ft Condor minigame. Hate it!

Yoshichan

Really? I backtrack all the way to the deepest parts of Northern Crater to finish the materia business and what happens? My materia bag gets full... and now I have to backtrack home AGAIN to sell this crap. SIGH.

3QjzC.png

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Holy crap, Yoshichan.

@_________@

Once I named Cloud "MethodMan", Barret "UnclePhil", Tifa "Sorbet", Red XIII "Snoopy R", Cid "Space Jam", Vincent "Haddaway", Yuffie "Skippy", and Cait Sith "JingleCat" when I was younger. Pretty sure I named my Chocobos after food on this playthrough.

9-character limits were pretty awesome back then.

Can't remember what I named Aeris on that playthrough, though. Haha.

On that note, I cannot recall giving a single Final Fantasy character the distinction of "Atrus" like I do to other male MCs in other video games.

Yoshichan

I love the addition of being able to change the volume of SFX/BGM in this version!

Grinding while listening to Xenogears OST with FFVII SFX! Makes time fly :3

Yo guys,

Is there any real reason to get this version? I mean besides the revolutionary Always Online Technology.

I am actually halfway through a PS1 playthrough now. Not that far however so I could easily restart.

Yo guys,

Is there any real reason to get this version? I mean besides the revolutionary Always Online Technology.

I am actually halfway through a PS1 playthrough now. Not that far however so I could easily restart.

The resolution of the 3D models (monsters, characters, etc) is a lot higher. They look much crisper than their PS1 counterparts. Worth it for me.

Prerendered Backgrounds look kinda pixely tho

Yoshichan

This is weird as heck... I've mastered all the materia and still no achievement :( I've double checked everything :_: I'm so worried now... what can it possible be? The materia you get from defeating Emerald are already mastered right?

This is weird as heck... I've mastered all the materia and still no achievement :( I've double checked everything :_: I'm so worried now... what can it possible be? The materia you get from defeating Emerald are already mastered right?

You got the materia in the Northern Crater too? Guard, or whatever? You got the special Master Materias in Cosmo Canyon?

The resolution of the 3D models (monsters, characters, etc) is a lot higher. They look much crisper than their PS1 counterparts. Worth it for me.

Prerendered Backgrounds look kinda pixely tho

Okay, that might be worth it I guess.

Are there any comparison shots in this thread or anywhere else?
I really hate always online stuff but the FF consumer whore in me just can't help but want to buy it still...

Yoshichan

You got the materia in the Northern Crater too? Guard, or whatever? You got the special Master Materias in Cosmo Canyon?
What a joke. Out of ALL the materia I went through, I took for granted that I already had the MP Plus materia... I was confusing it with Magic Plus... UGH.

Okay, that might be worth it I guess.

Are there any comparison shots in this thread or anywhere else?
I really hate always online stuff but the FF consumer whore in me just can't help but want to buy it still...

The threads last few pages should have some shots. You should also note that the soundtrack sounds different than the Ps1 release. Personally I think some songs sound better, and some sound worse. It's a whole new variation on some of my favorite FF tunes so I can't say that I mind. And the resolution is pretty amazing. You notice all kinds of details in the models that were much blurrier in the PS1 release.

For $10 you probably can't go wrong.

Yoshichan

Aaaand boom! I mastered MP Plus... still no "Master all Materia-achievement"... ffs.

Yoshichan

Bam!

Yoshichan, you did all of that ? 0_0

You need at the VERY least, three days 24/24 to get there.
What's "24/24" supposed to mean XD? But yeah I've pretty much played this non-stop since I got it two days ago. I haven't been playing ultra efficient though, I've done an insane amount of back-tracking that I could've easily skipped if I wasn't such a scrub :3!

No Underwater materia?
Part of me have always said that it's cheese to kill Emerald with KotR/Mime + Underwater materia so I decided to do it the real way this time. Much more fun!

Stealth edit: I did cheese Ruby though :3 I don't respect Ruby because he ruined my childhood.
Yoshi, take a seat

We need to talk
ZrgrM.gif
I'm confused

Yoshichan

That confirms it, I triple checked all of my materia and used three different guides to confirm and yes, I have mastered every materia in the game. So here's what I think, it's either:

1. A glitch, and this will make me rage so fucking hard.

2. Maxing out Enemy Skill counts as mastering a materia, in which this is probably the dumbest thing ever in that case. You get the last skill 5 minutes away from the last boss, and you can't backtrack from that point.

Come the fuck on, Square-Enix

That confirms it, I triple checked all of my materia and used three different guides to confirm and yes, I have mastered every materia in the game. So here's what I think, it's either:

1. A glitch, and this will make me rage so fucking hard.

2. Maxing out Enemy Skill counts as mastering a materia, in which this is probably the dumbest thing ever in that case. You get the last skill 5 minutes away from the last boss, and you can't backtrack from that point.

Come the fuck on, Square-Enix

Achievements aren't linked to saves, right?

Couldn't you just go through, get the last skill, wait for the achievement to bing, and then reset the game?

Yoshichan

Oh yeah, that's right. Now I truly hope that's the case :(

edit: I'm gonna break a keyboard in a matter of minutes. Not only am I ultra pissed over this whole situation, but now that I'm actually trying to max out the enemy skills; I'm having a pain in my ass time trying to find the enemies. Like, these L4 Suicide guys spawned all the time when I was low level. Now that I'm end game? 0 times out of 50 battles.

edit 2: and when I finally get them in a battle, I can't make them do L4 Suicide. I can't even manipulate them. And I can't hit them till they have low health because I'm too strong. Jesus Christ.

TheContact

I wish I had free time like yoshi. You really flew through this game. I remember you going nuts with d3 when it released too. Youve definitely gotta be up there on the leaderboards

Yoshichan

Screw the leaderboards and everything else.

I'm gonna finish some work and when I come back, I hope to Zeus that someone's confirmed if Enemy Skill counts to the materia achievement - because this is frustrating as hell ._.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Man, the way cheevos pop up on the screen like that is something I find incredibly intrusive. Why can't it be smaller?

I'm surprised there isn't an All Lucky 7s achievement because that was kinda cool.

Screw the leaderboards and everything else.

I'm gonna finish some work and when I come back, I hope to Zeus that someone's confirmed if Enemy Skill counts to the materia achievement - because this is frustrating as hell ._.
I wouldn't be surprised if it did, which is weird cuz you don't need it for the Master Command, right? Which one are you missing?

Edit: Oh, nvm, Lv 4 Suicide? You can get it from Trickplays too, can't you? Trickplays have a 2/23 chance or something of using it. Mus have 1/14 chance. Just sit there and wait; don't hit them. It's part of their script and chance-based.

Jucksalbe

Banned
So where's the best place to farm for Aeris' limit breaks.

Just left Midgar.

Then you're at the right place. Learn the Matra magic from the enemies in the area, buy some Hypers, use Cover and grind in the area, shouldn't take very long.
You could also wait until you get to the area around Fort Condor, I think you can find larger enemy groups in the forest there.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Hmm...by the way, do you actually have to breed a Golden Chocobo for the achievement or could you also just use the one you get from the old man in Kalm?

Danj

Downloaded.. now if I can just get the damned thing to work.

FF7_EN.exe has stopped working

Every time I click Play.

FML

Silly question (and I realise you shouldn't have to do it) but have you tried right-clicking the shortcut, going to Properties and setting it into Windows XP Compatibility Mode?

Yoshichan

And I'm back. I really did not enjoy the last part of my session. Materia achievement bug (?), enemy skill-enemies not showing up etc. Today I'll be getting the remaining achievements in the game though - let's truly hope the materia one isn't glitched.

You still haven't mastered the underwater materia.
There's no such thing as "mastering the underwater materia".
Edit: Oh, nvm, Lv 4 Suicide? You can get it from Trickplays too, can't you? Trickplays have a 2/23 chance or something of using it. Mus have 1/14 chance. Just sit there and wait; don't hit them. It's part of their script and chance-based.
I already got that skill now. I got them from Mu's, because they actually spawn unlike the Trickplay (ran around the Iceicle area for 15 minutes without finding them).
Chara boost
Probably the dumbest thing I've read in this thread so far, especially if you've kept up with the thread at all.

http://finalfantasyviipc.com/en/profile/yoshichan

Yeah, that's chara boost... wait, what?

Telaso

Banned
I wish I had free time like yoshi. You really flew through this game. I remember you going nuts with d3 when it released too. Youve definitely gotta be up there on the leaderboards

No shit.... i'm extremely jealous of people who can dedicate that much time to video games.... I get maybe 10 hours a week now, and its all I do in my free time....

Silly question (and I realise you shouldn't have to do it) but have you tried right-clicking the shortcut, going to Properties and setting it into Windows XP Compatibility Mode?

I did - it still didn't work, but then a reboot fixed the issue. About to finish the train graveyard now. :D

Yoshichan

Would it say Character Boost or something if you had been using it? I just see Game Time, Team, and a list of Achievements.
I think Character Booster disables achievements. It should.

Yoshichan

Gonna finish up with my enemy skills now and hope to god that'll give me the achievement.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I just started the PSN version to see how it compares to the new PC version on an HDTV. The difference is pretty big with the PC version looking a lot better in most cases. Anyone want to see screenshots? (would have to use a camera, of course).

Yoshichan

BOOM! 100 hundred million gold~

Mi55A.png

Yoshichan

OH MY GOD, I FINALLY GOT IT!

Worth noting
Enemy Skill materia NEEDS to be mastered in order to get the achievement. After you get the final enemy skill, wait until the battle ends and the achievement should pop up. I almost had a heart-attack when it didn't pop up when I got skill at first :lol

5LRdC.png

Seik

Banned
OH MY GOD, I FINALLY GOT IT!

Worth noting
Enemy Skill materia NEEDS to be mastered in order to get the achievement. After you get the final enemy skill, wait until the battle ends and the achievement should pop up. I almost had a heart-attack when it didn't pop up when I got skill at first :lol

5LRdC.png

I still can't believe you did all of this that quickly, you fucking machine!!! :D

So I guess you have everything now?

Top Bottom