• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII PC re-release. SE Store Exclusive - Out now, Internet required

Ifrit

Or even loading times for menus outside of battle.

Forgot about that o_o

Fun story, my first and only time finishing those games was in FF Anthology and FF Chronicles, and still enjoyed them. I still remember those games dearly, so there's that I guess

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
1200 points for that round in the arena... fuck, I suck at the "slots"-thingy :(

Fun story, my first and only time finishing those games was in FF Anthology and FF Chronicles, and still enjoyed them. I still remember those games dearly, so there's that I guess

That being the case you're lucky. The difference in sound quality between the SNES and PSOne versions is apparent within the first few minutes of play. It's really shocking.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Omnislash :3!

Time for the W-Summon farm... fuck ._.

Three 4k point runs in a row... terrible rolls.

edit: Fuck yeah :3 Done with battle arena... screw that place!

gJWkN.png

Yoshichan

Bam! Every materia, limit and final weapon in the game :3

Now to master all the materia + kill Emy and Ruby~

TheExodu5

Banned
Which version of 5 and 6 should I play? I know I should probably stay away from the PS1 versions, but should I go original or GBA remakes?

SNES (Wii) version. The music is one of the most defining features of Final Fantasy VI. You don't want to compromise on this front.

Translation isn't that different. Spell names are better in the GBA version, but the dialog isn't really appreciably better (some changes are for the better, such as the opera scene, others are questionable, especially Kefka's dialogue, and renaming Atma to Ultima).

This is what you'll be missing if you play the GBA version.

Esper World
SNES:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79fe0wNariU
GBA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zaf9nacmins

Battle To The Death
SNES:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH40gYZhwWI
GBA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS622OOrEXU

Yoshichan

How many hours now?

can you please post the field menu?
36h.

"Field menu"?
Looks like you'll be finishing this up just in time for the Dark Souls DLC, Yosh.
Both you and I know that I won't be playing that :3 I've only been playing good games lately, I wouldn't want to break that streak, y'know!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
36h.

"Field menu"?

Both you and I know that I won't be playing that :3 I've only been playing good games lately, I wouldn't want to break that streak, y'know!
I actually didn't know. But man, when you swear off something you really quit for good. What made you say no?

EDIT: Oh so now it's not a good game? Sheesh. Classic Yoshi.

Yoshichan

I actually didn't know. But man, when you swear off something you really quit for good. What made you say no?
That's the thing. When it comes to games, when I say "No more" I really mean that. Everyone just thinks I'm joking around when I say that because I rage-quit Starcraft 2 every month or so (but I always come back to it).

EDIT: Oh so now it's not a good game? Sheesh. Classic Yoshi.
Sorry, I meant that I'm on a REALLY GOOD gaming streak lately. Dark Souls was good, but half of the game is unfinished and nothing in this world will make me replay those parts again.

Ifrit

That being the case you're lucky. The difference in sound quality between the SNES and PSOne versions is apparent within the first few minutes of play. It's really shocking.

Played the SNES version before, didn't really notice the difference besides some minimal sound bugs here and there

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Internet at house is all funky atm so stopping stream...might just grind off stream if my speeds fully return.

Changing Cid's name makes things more fun...lol

QuIpC.jpg

cg4uU.jpg

Yoshichan

Hahahahaha, I'm laughing so much

Yoshichan

Corran, is there some sort of filter on in those shots?

Doesn't look as jarring as Yoshi's shots so far.
I use the fake wide-screen setting

TheExodu5

Banned
Well...tried to buy the game. Squeenix store tells me "We're sorry. The payment method selected is not available for your location. Please select another payment method.". Doesn't want my American Express.

Alright, then. No purchase from me, I guess.

Yoshichan

I just realizedow long time it'll take me to master all materia :lol well, no time to waste I guess!

Yoshichan

You can always steal Elixirs from Tonberries and feed them to Magic Pots.
That's pretty much what I'm doing :p

W-Item trick, not stealing elixirs from Tonberries :3

Saroyan

So I'm getting pretty frustrated at the downloader for this game. It keeps stopping right at the end of the first file and I have to pause and resume it a few dozen times to get the last few MB. It downloads the other ~350 MB at a stead 2MB/S or so. Then it completely stops about halfway through the second file. What a piece of crap.

antitrop

IX is a classic. Way better that that turd burger VIII.
I'll agree that IX is a classic. VIII didn't do it for me, not because of the characters or the story (I like both), but rather the mundane Draw mechanic and the fact that enemies level'd up with your party, resulting in the final boss being an easier fight if you run away from every battle in the game possible than if you actually grind/level up.

Minsc

Gold Member
SNES (Wii) version. The music is one of the most defining features of Final Fantasy VI. You don't want to compromise on this front.

Translation isn't that different. Spell names are better in the GBA version, but the dialog isn't really appreciably better (some changes are for the better, such as the opera scene, others are questionable, especially Kefka's dialogue, and renaming Atma to Ultima).

This is what you'll be missing if you play the GBA version.

Esper World
SNES:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79fe0wNariU
GBA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zaf9nacmins

Battle To The Death
SNES:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH40gYZhwWI
GBA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS622OOrEXU

Until you patch the GBA version with the SNES music right? I remember reading the GBA one was the definitive version once patched I thought.

TheExodu5

Banned
Until you patch the GBA version with the SNES music right? I remember reading the GBA one was the definitive version once patched I thought.

Yeah, but you'd need a hacked GBA/DS or GBA emulator for that.

Well, there's the crap mode 7 emulation that can never be patched, but that's not so big of a deal. Still not nearly as definitive as FF5 GBA as a result.

Yoshichan

Wasn't that bad when you made it so that you could draw 9 each time :p

Yoshichan

So close to mastering all materia in the game! :3 I'm pumped!

edit: Farming Master All materia for the 99,999,999 gil achievement as-well :lol I need like 50 of them, haha

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This is the best.

I usually stick to default names, but sometimes I want to mix it up a little. I miss being able to change everyone's names, tbh. It's hard to do that since everyone's voicing dialogue and directly addressing each other in voiced conversation now. Easier to do with one character (usually the MC) since you can supply a noun or another title to address the MC, but not so much with everyone else in the game doing the talking.

Yoshichan

Oh God... I remember the first playthrough... Horrible name changes!

Cloud: Link
Aeris: Flower
Tifa: Rebecka
Red XIII: Blood
Vincent: Dracula
Cid: Pilot or something

Hilarious.

Muskweeto

Oh God... I remember the first playthrough... Horrible name changes!

Cloud: Link
Aeris: Flower
Tifa: Rebecka
Red XIII: Blood
Vincent: Dracula
Cid: Pilot or something

Hilarious.

Rebecka?!

I always name Red XIII Red, it just seems like that's what everyone would start calling him instead of always saying thirteen.

Yoshichan

Yoshichan

Taking a 15 minute break now... Getting really tired + work in almost 2 hours... I want to at least kill both weapons before I call it!

Yoshichan

How do you work and have time to nearly beat FF7 in two days? lol :bows:
Boring answer: I don't sleep :(

edit: Oh fuck, I'm a moron. I forgot to buy the Time-materia from Rocket Town so now I have to back-track all the way from Northern Crater to get it and then master it... SIGH.

Top Bottom