• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake Team Urgently Recruiting, Here’s A Message From Key Staff

not sure how to interpret these quotes, but it does make me wonder what has been going on the last 2 years, and what cyberconnect has been doing in this time.

They showed off a private "gameplay" session earlier in the year, Nomura wanted to show it but got denied.
ff7r-1487455253231_610w.jpg

You people need to learn to expect nothing. All you do is set your expectations too high. We live in a era with lots of games, no need to cling to a few from one company.

But I suppose, if people did that all forums would be devoid of posting.

Guys, expecting progress after 2-3 years is expecting too much!

The first episode of the remake is probably going to be a late 2018/early 2019 game at this point. I wonder if the next generation of home consoles may be here by then.

Is this a shot from the actual gameplay session or just a shot from the trailer?

I think it was a "screenshot" they showed at some convention. I highly doubt it's actual gameplay footage despite what they say. Personally, I'd question any "gameplay footage" they show until they show it actually being played

For this project, we aim to surpass the original work in terms of quality by increasing the number of staff to strengthen the core company development as we head into the development progress phase.

yes because there is a linear correlation between people on a team and the quality of their work, and throwing more people on a situation will always solve it

coastel

Nomura
Twenty years have gone by and the number of generations that aren’t familiar with Final Fantasy VII is increasing, so we must remake the game using today’s technology and systems in order to make it into a title that will release in several more decades.

FTFY

Akainu

to release a less than half finished game sure.

Story content: Vincent's Past.
Story content: Yuffie's Activities.
Story content: Turk's Activities.
Story content: Rufus's Betrayal.
Story content: The World of Meteor.
Story content: Cloud's Disappearance.
Playable Character: Vincent.
Playable Character: Yuffie.
Playable Character: Zack.
Additional mode: Gold Saucer.

to release a less than half finished game sure.
It took 3 years from announcement to release for FFXV and if Tabata had the luxury to work one more year, he could have added a lot more content.

Meanwhile Nomura hasn't even showed a proper story trailer for KH3 let alone anything from FFVII aside from the initial area.

Krammy

People expecting this to come out in 2018 or even this year were always grossly overestimating things. I'd have liked to assumed it would come out in 2020, but with this announcement, even that seems like a pipe dream.

As plenty others have said, Square-Enix really needs to drop Nomura because he can't manage modern day projects to save his life. His vision isn't worth the time sink anymore as far as I'm concerned.

Slater

Banned
Because he makes actual good games and not FFXV.

His last non cash grab demo console game came out in 2005.

A literal decade ago, you don't get to miss almost 2 full generations and not get questioned if you can even make a decent game anymore

Pachinko

They are making at least 3 episodes so it stands to reason they'd have to start ramping up just to keep the second and third parts going , especially given the easy assumption that Midgaar makes up all of the first entry. After that a big map will be expected and tons of different textures / models, etc. So going on a hiring spree would be a good thing.

Even if this is just for episode 1 and that game has only finished it's first proper playable prototype , square have shown they only need 18 months to have a finished game once they go into super crunch.

Thing is though.... I've long expected that Kingdom Hearts 3 will take priority over this remake project. It was started 2 years prior to FF7R afterall and this E3 will mark at least 4 full years of production. 2018 will be it's year. Then, probably late 2018 or early 2019 for the first part of FF7 , ideally with the rest following 18 and 36 months later respectively. Finally, a deluxe "full" release available on PS5 after that.

His last non cash grab demo console game came out in 2005.

A literal decade ago, you don't get to miss almost 2 full generations and not get questioned if you can even make a decent game anymore

I think it's silly to ignore every game he's put out since 2005 because it wasn't on a home console or was a "cash grab". Given the small slice of KH3 and his previous efforts on portable systems he is perfectly capable of putting out good content.

Mortemis

Banned
I remember something kinda like this when FFXV was reintroduced with Tabata as the director, so this may be 2 to 3 years out. Which is what I thought of anyways, so whatever.

I think KH3 is in a better position when it comes to content possibly being cut. Given the game's Disney worlds are very much self-contained they can easily just cut one of the unannounced worlds to save some time.

This isn't even a new concept for the series. Dream Drop Distance dropped a world for Space Paranoids (original Tron) and Fantasia 2000. Birth by Sleep cut The Jungle Book and 358/2 Days cut a Pinocchio world. They're pretty used to trimming things down to meet deadlines and I think that's a good way for them to the game out in a timely manner and not have to make the last act of the game a rushed mess ala Final Fantasy XV.

I'm confident that KH3 will come out 2018 and will feel just as solid and complete as Osaka Team's previous outings w/ BBS and DDD. Here's hoping that comes to pass, I'd prefer not to get burned.

Seeing that KH3 is basically the first KH console game in a DLC gaming world, they could always make some of the cut worlds an expansion pack or something. I'd be surprised if they didn't have an expansion pack/season pass planned anyways.

Slater

Banned
I think it's silly to ignore every game he's put out since 2005 because it wasn't on a home console or was a "cash grab". Given the small slice of KH3 and his previous efforts on portable systems he is perfectly capable of putting out good content.

Even then you will not find any more real praise for any of the KH games that compares to 2, in combat or story.

"If he can still reach greatness might fit better

I remember something kinda like this when FFXV was reintroduced with Tabata as the director, so this may be 2 to 3 years out. Which is what I thought of anyways, so whatever.

Seeing that KH3 is basically the first KH console game in a DLC gaming world, they could always make some of the cut worlds an expansion pack or something. I'd be surprised if they didn't have an expansion pack/season pass planned anyways.

Yeah they could very well add more content - Another Disney World, extra bosses ect. in a Season Pass. It's a much more reasonable proposition than what they used to do with "Final Mix" versions of KH games.

Even then you will not find any more real praise for any of the KH games that compares to 2, in combat or story.

"If he can still reach greatness might fit better

Personally I really enjoyed the major KH games like BBS and DDD quite a bit. TWEWY was also excellent. I'll be more than satisfied with KH3 if it's a fully realized version of what we got in 0.2

_Nemo

So you realize that just now and all of a sudden you're scrambling to get employees because you maybe, MAYBE finally realized that another Versus XIII absolutely cannot afford to happen? You're a real piece of work SE.

AzureFlame

It took 3 years from announcement to release for FFXV and if Tabata had the luxury to work one more year, he could have added a lot more content.

Meanwhile Nomura hasn't even showed a proper story trailer for KH3 let alone anything from FFVII aside from the initial area.

no way, one more year is not enough.

lmao.

theosi

this is going to happen

and its going to make me sad

The full quotes are a lot less damning / more logical.

For instance, this is what Nomura actually said:

EDIT: It's worth noting they're recruiting the stupendous, insanely high figure of 8 people total.

This is somewhat relieving, but I have to say, it doesn't sound like Nomura is super excited about the project. I feel kind of bad for him, as I'm not sure he is really interested in directing this, after all he apparently though Kotase was directing until he suddenly got the memo, right? I'm sorry to say, but I'm feeling very little passion for this project from those involved, Kitase himself seems very "business first" in his quote.

I could be reading too far into things, but I have a feeling that this project was started to bring hype to the fans, but with a lack of hype from the creators. It's somewhat silly to say, but the hype needs to be on both sides, or I think the project is going to suffer.

raven777

lol

btrboyev

All the hype of the 2014 Sony conference ended up being a major sham to me.

Last Guardian kinda was meh

Shenmue and Final Fantasy still may not be released for a few more years.

FingerBang

I have a friend at Square Enix that says he's never seen Nomura at the company (he was there at the entrance ceremony though).

You can't accuse him of being slow if he's never there.

My friend is in marketing, hopefully he's wrong

Top Bottom