• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII 15th Anniversary Thread

Asd202

1 hour until it's no longer the anniversary day. Kind of making me feel sad.

I really hope to experience an ending as fantastic as this again.

Ending

Still gives me chills every time I watch it.

VIII was my first FF. I remember beating the game numerous time just to see this ending sequence. Ah how nice it was to be young! :p

Rinoa

Say what you will though, i fucking love the imagery when Squall and Rinoa are out there drifting in space

it's so... dumb... but still cool

tumblr_mznzzpKy791rfyv3zo1_250.jpg

Im sure this has mentioned somewhere on GAF and or the internet.

But did Mike Tyson get his tattoo idea from Zell?

Naw but Nomura gave Zell a face tattoo because he liked a full body he saw on MTV
http://flaregamer.com/b2article.php?p=81&more=1

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. The Amano art decal's size/shape compliments the size/shape of your harp. The color really makes it stand out, becoming the focus of the room. I prefer the blue/white to the original red/orange/yellow Amano art. First time I have seen the FFVIII logo that color actually.

Someday I want to have a Grand Piano room surrounded by sweet Amano art decals like that. Or at the very least, a tiny keyboard (set to Grand Piano mode) room surrounded by sweet Amano wall scrolls. :p

Thanks! Yes, that's why I chose that size. I originally wanted a more muted blue but it looked greyish in the house lighting.

Rinoa: Those images are awesome. The VIII logo looks beautiful.

I actually plan to name my dog Angelo when I get my second one. :p

Female or male dog tho?

There's a Rinoa on here? Soul mate? Seriously though, that's a cool decal, where did you get it? I need to see what kind of FFVIII memorabilia is available online. I've always wanted to get a Griever necklace or possibly the ring.

Lawd that's what my husband probably thought when I met him, I only later found out that FF8/Squall was his fave FF game/character.

The decal is made from a customized SVG of the amano art (change colors, remove small pices), go to printing store and have it printed as a big decal for indoors (not a car), costed about $200-300, I forget. Applying it to the wall is very hard because of the little pieces even after getting rid of most the tininer pieces.

Not much is available officially anymore, other than figures there are overpriced Squall rings and pendants around. Most sets you find for sale in the past 13 years are bootleg because they stopped production way back.

Wazzy

Banned
VIII was my first FF. I remember beating the game numerous time just to see this ending sequence. Ah how nice it was to be young! :p
I'm not that old but it's crazy to think how young I was when I experienced so much of VIII for the first time.

I remember rewatching the ending over and over whenever I could.
Female or male dog tho?.

Female of course. :D

When I was younger I wanted a replica of Angelo's breed(Australian Shephard) but now I'm getting a Duck Toller Retriever since they're my favourite breed.

Terra_Ex

Posted in other thread but here it is agains, ff8 decal in my living room & rinoa's wing in my office room
Yep, this just looks awesome.

Incredible, thanks for posting this. Really great to get a peek at the mocap that went into the dance fmv that wowed me 15 years ago (still one of my favourite scenes from any game) :) Square were so far ahead in terms of sheer spectacle back then it wasn't even funny and playing the PS1 trilogy in that era, you really appreciated the strides they were making with the tech at the time - their games definitely left a lasting impression with me.

Can't really narrow down a single moment in the game that's my de facto favourite, arriving in Delling City for the first time was pretty cool, leading up to the assassination plot. The Garden vs. Garden section and the preceding quiet time also stick in my mind, particularly if you bring Rinoa back to Garden with you when the team splits up. Really need to give it another playthrough soon, my memories of the game aren't as clear as they used to be.

CorvoSol

Final Fantasy 8 was the last game I played before leaving for Brazil for 2 years, so I have a soft spot for it for like, forever. Replaying it again recently made me appreciate Squall's bad attitude. Not because of his backstory or whatever, but because if I was Squall and I had to put up with bullshit like Seifer or Irvine being the worst ace sniper of all time, I probably would be an asocial jerkass for awhile, too.

I really love the game's music and setting, though. It's not my favorite FF, but 8 is a classic.

I honestly think 8 plays way, way better than 9, too. Mostly because I've seen snails move faster than turns in FF9's battle system, and FF8's minigames are fun, unlike every single minigame in 9.

Wazzy

Banned
Due to being stuck at work late, the tribute video won't be done for a couple days. I really want to complete it and wish it could have been finished earlier.

Maybe I'll save it for the bump in September.

I'm also going to update some character's profiles with pictures such as Kiros and Ward. I'll probably move them to the main section rather than side.

Ourobolus

Banned
I honestly think 8 plays way, way better than 9, too. Mostly because I've seen snails move faster than turns in FF9's battle system, and FF8's minigames are fun, unlike every single minigame in 9.
I'll give you Tetra Master, but Chocobo Hot & Cold? Get outta here. :p

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Happy Birthday, Final Fantasy VIII!

This was one of my all time favorite FF's! I loved the characters, lore and the world. Lunatic Pandora looked amazing and honestly has to be one of the most awesome names ever. I know a girl who likes the FF series who actually looks quite a bit like Rinoa too.

Ultimecia has to be one of the most bad ass villains in a FF as well. She tried to absorb space and time itself.

I so wish we could get a sequel or spin-off of VIII.

Wazzy

Banned
Happy Birthday, Final Fantasy VIII!

This was one of my all time favorite FF's! I loved the characters, lore and the world. Lunatic Pandora looked amazing and honestly has to be one of the most awesome names ever. I know a girl who likes the FF series who actually looks quite a bit like Rinoa too.

Ultimecia has to be one of the most bad ass villains in a FF as well. She tried to absorb space and time itself.

I so wish we could get a sequel or spin-off of VIII.

A spin-off would be pretty cool. The two big things I always wanted was either a remake with a bunch of new content such as more playable characters and sidequests or a prequel starring Laguna and Co. I don't know if I trust Square with a remake these days but if they could do it justice then I would be happy forever.

Lawd that's what my husband probably thought when I met him, I only later found out that FF8/Squall was his fave FF game/character.

The decal is made from a customized SVG of the amano art (change colors, remove small pices), go to printing store and have it printed as a big decal for indoors (not a car), costed about $200-300, I forget. Applying it to the wall is very hard because of the little pieces even after getting rid of most the tininer pieces.

Not much is available officially anymore, other than figures there are overpriced Squall rings and pendants around. Most sets you find for sale in the past 13 years are bootleg because they stopped production way back.
The man has exquisite taste. That's awesome that you were able to get Rinoa without having to throw in numbers or any other add-on. I wasn't familiar with SVG, interesting. I don't mind the money but sounds like I'd want a professional for installation hehe In any case, looks great.
Due to being stuck at work late, the tribute video won't be done for a couple days. I really want to complete it and wish it could have been finished earlier. Also, this makes too of us staying at work late. I guess it works out since I planned on leaving early on Friday anyway.

Maybe I'll save it for the bump in September.

I'm also going to update some character's profiles with pictures such as Kiros and Ward. I'll probably move them to the main section rather than side.
Sounds good, September is the true anniversary for many of us anyway :D

A spin-off would be pretty cool. The two big things I always wanted was either a remake with a bunch of new content such as more playable characters and sidequests or a prequel starring Laguna and Co. I don't know if I trust Square with a remake these days but if they could do it justice then I would be happy forever.

A spin off would be cool from a company that didn't go from the high point of FFX to the low point of X-2.

For the longest time, FFVIII was not only my favourite entry in the series, but my favourite game period. It's not anymore (Persona 4 took it's place nearly a decade later), but it's this close and remains an eternal fave.

Like many at the time, FFVII was my first foray into the series, so I was kind of doubtful if Square could top themselves for me. But, they did. That opening CG sequence blew away everything that FFVII had done for me; I had to reset the Playstation and watch it again when I first started the game!

It's the focus on the characters and the relationships (particularly Squall, Rinoa, Laguna, Raine) that edged this game over the previous installment for me (in that one, saving the world was the focus, while the characters were secondary). I always place characters above plot in any work of fiction, and the characters in FFVIII just clicked with me. Not to mention, gorgeous European-influenced art direction, a chill school days vibe, Uematsu's most cohesive soundtrack IMO,
TIME TRAVEL -- sorta
, and a battle system that broke from the norm at the time (though not perfect by any means, but boy, is it fun to exploit it and be nigh indestructible :D ). FFVIII was it for me.
And can we talk about that near-perfect ending? No sequel movie needed to find out what happened to the main characters after the world was saved here! It holds up to this very day - Square produced it essentially as a gorgeous silent film.

IX and XII are the other two games I place alongside the pedestal with VIII as my favourite iterations in Final Fantasy, but as I said, I will always have a particular soft spot for Square's eighth entry in their landmark series.

Wazzy

Banned
Sounds good, September is the true anniversary for many of us anyway :D
Yeah I'll make some small updates to the OP for September. If I finish the video soon I'll just post it anyway, otherwise I'll save it.
A spin off would be cool from a company that didn't go from the high point of FFX to the low point of X-2.

I actually loved X-2 and thought it was a great sequel. But I don't trust the company with past games anymore.

Either way, no matter the flaws I want corrected in VIII, maybe leaving it alone would be the best decision.

There's only one proper way to do a spin-off and that's to have the main party be Seifer and his posse.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Heh, a FPS with the Gunblade. I dunno could make it happen.

Thanks all the contributors to this thread. I adore FFVIII, and my love for the game hasn't waned at all over the years. I think I'm due for another replay soon...maybe on vita? Which means I'll be playing VIII instead of FFX HD when it comes out soon, haha.

Now that is a tough question, if I have to choose, it's when Squall carries Rinoa to Esther, but saying that Disk 3 is my favourite part of any game. Going to Esther for the first time was incredible. Since I was 12 at the time, Rinoa and Squall had the best romance ever, so I loved all that stuff.
Disk 3 was definitely amazing. When you first get to take the Ragnarok out for a spin and that music kicks in. The feels yo.

FF8 was the first FF game I played when I was about 8 years old, and I fell in love with it right away!

The ballroom scene and the Garden Festival scenes are my favorite moments of the game. I remember getting chills when I first played it :p.

Good job on this thread, Wazzy!! <3

jaxword

Thanks all the contributors to this thread. I adore FFVIII, and my love for the game hasn't waned at all over the years. I think I'm due for another replay soon...maybe on vita? Which means I'll be playing VIII instead of FFX HD when it comes out soon, haha.

If FFXHD does well, guaranteed they will mine the rest of the series. FF12 will be next, then maybe the FF8-9 years.

silenttwn

I've been replaying this game with a self-imposed restriction of not using GF's in battle (but junctioning them onto characters for abilities and magic junctioning). It's been interesting. I think the battle system and its subsystems are cool but it's kind of unfocused. I'd like to see the junction system return at one point, but the drawing mechanic.. not so much.

If FFXHD does well, guaranteed they will mine the rest of the series. FF12 will be next, then maybe the FF8-9 years.

They won't re-release FF7-9 as HD remakes anytime soon... There is way too much they'd have to fix. Those 2D backgrounds won't HD themselves (where as the assets of FFX+ do practically)

I've been replaying this game with a self-imposed restriction of not using GF's in battle (but junctioning them onto characters for abilities and magic junctioning). It's been interesting. I think the battle system and its subsystems are cool but it's kind of unfocused. I'd like to see the junction system return at one point, but the drawing mechanic.. not so much.

That's not much of a restriction honestly. The abuse of the system is not in GF's, but in Junctioning. Maybe a bit harder at the start of the game, but by the time you're at the end of disc 1, it's mostly a non-issue.

silenttwn

That's not much of a restriction honestly. The abuse of the system is not in GF's, but in Junctioning. Maybe a bit harder at the start of the game, but by the time you're at the end of disc 1, it's mostly a non-issue.

Agreed. Thought it would make the game more difficult/interesting but I'm totally exploiting the junction system by drawing 100 of everything and overpowering my characters. It has made a few battles a little bit more difficult. I think I might change it up and add a self-imposed draw limit per battle as well.

It'd be cool if in a future FF they had the junctioning system return but with a magic/trait progression a la sphere grid. The effectiveness of a junction is based solely on the power spell/trait you're junctioning (and not the quantity), if you're character has it.

Natetan

Yeah gfs are for junctionjng not summoning. Spend some time with triple triad after the dollet mission and use mod card and mod item and you're set for the rest of the game. Grind for encounter none on the beach and you'll inly be doing boss battles for the emtire game. That is honestly my favorite part of the game.

Wazzy

Banned
I love watching Poxnor run this live at SGDQ'12, must have watched it a few times already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YdOmstCzm8
That video is pretty cool. I'm on the beginning but seeing them raise $8000 just for speed running VIII is awesome. I'm sure the video will get funnier as I go on.
Here is a rare video of Hironobu Sakaguchi's announcement of FFVIII, for people who know Japanese (I don't):

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm11783346
Weird it won't work on my phone but I want to watch it so I'll do it on my computer. I love game announcement videos so it would be awesome to see VIII's.

Terra_Ex

Wazzy, you mentioned that yourself and Dunan were working on some stuff relating to mistranslations earlier in the thread. Is that information going to be added in the future (no rush, just wanted to know if still in the works)?

Wazzy

Banned
Wazzy, you mentioned that yourself and Dunan were working on some stuff relating to mistranslations earlier in the thread. Is that information going to be added in the future (no rush, just wanted to know if still in the works)?
I probably will. Most of what I have is from other posters.

Dunan gave the info about the mistranslations on Squall's catch phrase "whatever", Zoe gave some about the differences in the space scene between Rinoa and Squall and then the others I know of are the Griever summon, Edea's speech and Zell's favourite food.

I'll see if I can find some more and I'll compile It into one post.

jaxword

Dunan gave the info about the mistranslations on Squall's catch phrase "whatever", Zoe gave some about the differences in the space scene between Rinoa and Squall and then the others I know of are the Griever summon, Edea's speech and Zell's favourite food.

I wrote a list of all the "whatever"s in the entire game, it's on neogaf somewhere.

TheContact

Seeing this thread makes me want to play FF8 again xD

Do it! But break the game, it's way more fun (run away from battles, use GF's refine abilities to get powerful spells early on and junction them to your str and hp)

I wrote a list of all the "whatever"s in the entire game, it's on neogaf somewhere.

In the Japanese version the translation is more like "my bad" or "i'm sorry", in the English version they just used "whatever".

Loved using Selphie's The End to win battles. The fact that you can do it to anyone makes it awesome. Getting to that point is the fun part.

Agreed. Thought it would make the game more difficult/interesting but I'm totally exploiting the junction system by drawing 100 of everything and overpowering my characters. It has made a few battles a little bit more difficult. I think I might change it up and add a self-imposed draw limit per battle as well.

It'd be cool if in a future FF they had the junctioning system return but with a magic/trait progression a la sphere grid. The effectiveness of a junction is based solely on the power spell/trait you're junctioning (and not the quantity), if you're character has it.

It's a cool concept, but even if applied to FF8 it would be exploitable (mid and high level magic refinement and a lot of time :)).

There are a lot of interesting ideas in FF8's battle system, it just never felt like it was fully tested out. It did take away a lot of the character's unique features though... It's pretty bad when the most interesting part of individual characters were simply their limit breaks.

In that sense, a mix of FF6's and FF8's battle systems would be pretty interesting. Characters having signature moves combined with a huge amount of character customization could be very fun.

In the Japanese version the translation is more like "my bad" or "i'm sorry", in the English version they just used "whatever".
That is a very literal translation, but it lacks some of the connotations. Specifically, in English it would come off as very submissive, which would be counter to what Squall's is supposed to be (a nature leader, more egocentric and assertive).

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
You guys remember the Windows Media Guide from XP?

Christina1.gif

I used it back then to download Eyes on Me ha.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
That is a very literal translation, but it lacks some of the connotations. Specifically, in English it would come off as very submissive, which would be counter to what Squall's is supposed to be (a nature leader, more egocentric and assertive).

I can see why they went with "Whatever" then.

What else would they use? Too bad? Can't help you? "Sorry" (in a sarcastic tone which is impossible in text).

You guys remember the Windows Media Guide from XP?

Christina1.gif

I used it back then to download Eyes on Me ha.

Windows XP UI design was so puke... and I thought so when it was new.

Zoe

I can see why they went with "Whatever" then.

What else would they use? Too bad? Can't help you? "Sorry" (in a sarcastic tone which is impossible in text).

But most of a time those "sorrys" were actually genuine. His sarcastic side (particularly to Quistis, that wall line was accurate) was a front for his insecurities. IIRC, in some cases they just added "whatever" out of nowhere.

Here's the Japanese script, though I'm not sure how complete it is.
http://aizenn.web.fc2.com/talk/ff-serifu.html

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
But most of a time those "sorrys" were actually genuine. His sarcastic side (particularly to Quistis, that wall line was accurate) was a front for his insecurities. IIRC, in some cases they just added "whatever" out of nowhere.

I would be totally down for a re-translation patch. Not a fundamentalist "Sukouru-San" style patch, but something that amends these alternations.

Wazzy

Banned
I think your post was combined with Dunan's since he did the mistranslations from your giant one.

When I get the time I'll get the post(I believe it mentions you) and add it in. I'll just do a giant post with all the mistranslations and then quote it for OP. I wish I could read the japanese script but alas, I can't.

From what I've heard, this.

It aligns better with Squall's character in that his "sorry" moments are his insecurities showing. "Whatever" was fine for a couple part's but others it just came off as a weird and rude response. I think his moments with Quistis warrented the "whatever" response since it was generally her teasing him. It showed a nice contrast between his response to Rinoa vs her.

Terra_Ex

Great, I'll look forward to it. I did find this page a while back, not sure if you've seen it and I certainly can't comment on its validity as I can't read Japanese, but it has some interesting stuff nonetheless: http://www.lokasenna.pe.kr/ardente/etc./

Ourobolus

Banned
Beat FFIX (again), doing my low-level run of FFVIII. Honestly, this is so far the most fun way to play it. It's unique in that you can't really play any of the other FFs in this manner without significant planning, but it is still fun.

There's a significant commitment up front, but after Dollet it makes the game fantastic. I love Triple Triad so it is so much more fun now. It isn't HARD at all, just different. Recommend it to everyone.

(I still enjoy playing it regularly though) :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So essentially to keep Squall level 1 while learning Card command, I simply have to bumrush to Ifrit and run away from enemies then?

Wouldn't my SeeD evaluation go down?

Natetan

So essentially to keep Squall level 1 while learning Card command, I simply have to bumrush to Ifrit and run away from enemies then?

I don't think so. It's mostly the time limit you choose/time left on the timer that matters. Beat irfrit with less than 10s left and choose the 10 min time limit

I love using seifer in dollet to get the 70 enemy kills bonus seed points. Also killing the mech too is super fun.

Seed isn't useless. If you do everything right you can get up to level 14 or s in a zero lv up game. You'll never need to think about money for the rest of the game.

Ourobolus

Banned

At the outset? Yes. But other than some forced battles, you should be able to keep Squall at Lv 7.

(SeeD levels are easy to increase :p)

Top Bottom