• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII OST is possibly the greatest work ever by a video game composer

I adore this soundtrack, and FF VIII is my favourite in the series, but even I think FF X has a better OST, though I don't like that game anywhere near as much as I like VIII.

I would put FF VIII's soundtrack in the top 3 though.

I love the piano version of blue fields for its laid back, ponderous slow journey kind of feeling.

And I'd add The Successor to the list too.

You forgot the best final boss music of all time: The Extreme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVkcmx2l3WA

That is an absurdly epic track to go with an absurdly epic battle. I believe you get crushed between two planetoids at one point.

Kubiubo

I wholeheartedly agree.

The Extreme is my favorite Final Fantasy final battle theme in the series, the buildup is perfect; time is compressing around you, Ultimecia's speech, and finally the classic baseline begins as the stars and background are literally being absorbed into her body.

Renpatsu

If not ever then resting in the pantheon of great Uematsu soundtracks.

Either way I concur, which is a shame considering the somewhat sparse number of remixes for it.

Wiz

I used to play Balamb Garden and Galbadia Garden when I was studying in the library at my university. Fits perfectly of course lol

This is like the soundtrack to my life

Chibot

I agree that FF8 has some incredible music, but feel that his prime extended from FF6-FF8. I would choose FF6 as his masterpiece, with FF7 and 8 not far behind.

BriGuy

Not that I disagree, because FF8 OST is one of my favorites and I listen to it regularly, but it seems like video game soundtracks are one of the most common things to inspire phrases such as "the greatest ever"

My favorite: The Castle

Yeah, this is a great piece for a final dungeon. It's somehow both aloof and foreboding. The music in FF8 is mostly fantastic across the board. The game itself can't live up to it.

Zukuu

Banned
NieR?
NieR.

FF 8 has the best battle theme out of any FF's tho (unless you count FF 7's piano rendition of 'those who fight')

Certainly one of them. I listen to XIII series osts more often for some reason, but VIIIs has always been incredible and one of the reasons why its one of my favorite games in the series.

orborborb

ff8 has my favorite opening music, battle music and overworld music of the series, which is quite impressive

but overall it doesn't top ff1, ff4, and ff7 which each have just as many great tracks, and fewer that I skip.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I agree op.

Not just my favorite FF soundtrack, but possibly the best soundtrack in any game. It is masterful.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the golden era Final Fantasy game soundtracks to be honest. Final Fantasy VIII's music is really wonderful, but not to the detriment of any of the other closely released games in the franchise.

Rinoa

Orchestra Love Grows is where it at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFs3Pt0La4o

final_fantasy_viii___fisherman_s_horizon_by_zhoujiasheng-d6bilaw.jpg

Masked Man

I said wow
I won't say best ever, but it's definitely a brilliant collection of music from start to finish and easily one of Uematsu's best scores. :D

Not that I disagree, because FF8 OST is one of my favorites and I listen to it regularly, but it seems like video game soundtracks are one of the most common things to inspire phrases such as "the greatest ever"

My favorite: The Castle

Love this piece! The baroque fugue elements are so cleverly implemented.

Lothar

Banned
I wonder if it's my dislike of the FF VIII's story that makes me think it has one of the weaker FF soundtracks. I just don't see how 6, 7, 9, and X don't do every single thing better. I mean, the overworld of VIII sounds like trash to me compared to the overworlds of 4, 6, 7, and 9. The regular battle theme is also really weak compared to 7 and 9.

The best work by a video game composer is without a doubt Nier though.

In my totally unbiased opinion, I have to agree.

Force Your Way/Find Your Way/Marial Law are my top 3 from this OST, but they're all amazing. I'll always have a soft spot for Ueumatsu for this and the FFVII OST.

Bladenic

Final Fantasy 9, 10, and 13 series all have better OSTs. Actually I'd rank 4, 6, 7, and 12 above 8 too.

Force Your Way and Eyes On Me are amazing though.

Laconic

Banned
It is still far lesser than 2 games back.

Final Fantasy VI is the best video game soundtrack of all time.

*insert Kanye gif here*

Masked Man

I said wow
For those who have yet to hear it, check out the fully orchestrated Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec album, a collection of some of the game's finest music in beautiful, orchestral glory. The climactic swell toward the end of Fisherman's Horizon is so warm and romantic that it gives me goosebumps.

Nestunt

Completely agree and very far from whatever is in second

even people who did not like the game enjoy it tremendously

Kain

You misspelled IX brah.

Thou I agree VIII has an amazing soundtrack, Liberi Fatali, Premonition and basically every piece involving witches are the highlights for me. It's a pity the lore of this game is so horribly missused, it reminds me of XIII in that sense.

And I agree Chrono Cross' OST is on another level. I mean, whoa, Mitsuda really killed it there.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I like this thread. I listen to a lot of game music and I have to agree FF8 is one of the all-time best.

Fisherman's Horizon always gets me. so melancholy and beautiful. I recently came across a really good OC Remix of it I wanna share with y'all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTo0TeGVwv8

The following track from FFVIII only plays once in the game (
when Squall is being tortured by Seifer
) and is often overlooked, yet it is one of the best in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVkzzuSRFMc

"The Oath" gets a reprise in the ending theme, doesn't it?
This video leads right into the orchestra version of You Are Not Alone from FFIX that gives me goosebumps all over. I used to have an original/authentic DVD of the Tour de Japon concert (it was a bonus for Uematsu's fan club in Japan) but sadly sold it for moneys.

FF8 has probably my favorite Ending Theme of the entire series (FF10 being a close second).

Roldan

Uematsu is truly an amazing composer. Though I do share his preference for FFIX's soundtrack FFVIII is also extraordinary. The following track from FFVIII only plays once in the game (
when Squall is being tortured by Seifer
) and is often overlooked, yet it is one of the best in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVkzzuSRFMc

It also plays when
Squall is giving a speech to the SeeDs in Balamb Garden, no?

While I do really like the soundtrack of FF8, and it's by far the most attractive part of the game, though I can't say I agree with the thread title. In my humble opinion, it's not the greatest soundtrack in the franchise, on the PS1, or in the franchise on the PS1. Chrono Cross or Legend of Mana hold the title of the OSTs that I enjoy the most.

Balamb Garden and Fisherman's Horizon are my favourite tracks of the game though.

Tenebrous

I really can't agree. I hate the plinky plonky world map theme, and Balamb Garden has equally irritating instrument choices.

It does have its moments, though.

It really is among the best. Supremely evocative and memorable melodies that rarely put a foot wrong. I can even pardon the slow beginning of the game because the Balamb Garden theme is always playing during that section, and it's heavenly.

I think it's still beaten by FFVII's score though. Only slightly.

Top Bottom