• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIII OST is possibly the greatest work ever by a video game composer

Joni

I can't agree more. Liberi Fatali is amazing, it is together with the Final Fantasy X intro the only game song I listen to without playing the game. Technically, Dead Sara's Heart Shaped Box cover should count too, but that is more Nirvana and less Infamous Second Son.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
One of the very best videogame soundtracks of all time, no doubt at all in my mind.

Was kind of an expensive import for me in its day, but one I've never regretted.

Don't know if it's the GOAT, but its an amazing score and probably Uematsu's best work.

The intro with Liberi Fatali still gives me goose bumps every time I see it.

Famassu

This thread made me realize that Square Enix had published the next album in the Final Fantasy Piano Opera series, which includes FFVII, VIII & IX. Will have to get on that...

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I love VIII's soundtrack, it's on par with VII and VI, but IX and Chrono Cross have the best OSTs IMO.

Square was knocking it out of the park with their soundtracks in those days.

Yes very memorable soundtrack, I can recall playing just by listening to the OST.

Also, Eyes on me made the Ragnarock cockpit scene perfect. (Of course, our minds compensated for the missing faces, voices and crappy graphics, but still....)

The man with the machine gun on it's own makes it fantastic, throw in all the other music and you've got yourself an incredible soundtrack.

Heartfyre

The emotional impact of The Landing is what made me realise the storytelling potential of video games. (Granted, I was nine years old at the time.)

I really want to see a Final Fantasy VIII remake mostly because I want this entire soundtrack reorchestrated. After seeing the significant difference it made to the Kingdom Hearts HD ReMixes, Final Fantasy VIII deserves that treatment.

Syntsui

I don't even remember a single music from this forgetable game. I would say IX had the best OST of the series and one of the best of all games.

Varion

It's between 8 and 9 for me when it comes to best FF OST, because they're both amazing, but there's no doubt 8 has an amazing score for sure. You could probably post the whole thing track by track in the OP and it'd basically all be worth listing, too. Uematsu at his very best.

Tu101uk

Complete agreement in terms of the series. FFIX is my all-time favourite game in the series and the soundtrack was great for it, but FFVIII's OST was near enough perfect for that game. Liberi Fatali, Force Your Way, Balamb Garden, Man with the Machine Gun, I still vividly remember playing through this game and humming along to the tracks. Such a memorable OST, so glad I got Uematsu to sign the OST covers for both 8 and 9 at Distant Worlds. ;3

Kasumin

The military march in the ending gets me every time. I think FF8's ending has the best version of the main FF theme in any FF ending, too. I think FF9's soundtrack is really good as well, but FF8's soundtrack has some entries that really stuck with me.

Naturally, it was the first soundtrack I had Uematsu sign when I went to my first FF Distant Worlds concert with VIP tickets (totally worth it).

Xena

It's indeed an amazing OST.
I confess that "Force Your Way" is my to-go song to make me go the "extra mile" on the treadmill.... it just never gets old.

Dunan

I love this game and I love this OST -- the limited edition of it, which could only be obtained at
convenience stores
*, is the jewel of my game-CD collection. I still listen to it regularly, along with the Fithos Lused Wecos Vinosec arrangement album and the piano album.

When FF12 came around and we got a soundtrack from Sakimoto in a more unified style, I found myself liking how well it fit with the world that game was set in, and looking back, this game's soundtrack perfectly fit its eclectic, variegated world -- Dollet looks nothing like Balamb, which looks nothing like FH, which looks nothing (at all) like Esthar. My dream RPG would be the "unified" type, both world-wise and OST-wise, but FF8 is just so great as it is. Somehow it all fits.

Now when is this game going to get the HD upgrade it so richly deserves?

*: No joke.

Comet

While I think FFVIII is largely a disaster, I hate to say that I find its OST to be the best in the series. And that is saying a lot since it has to compete against FFX, IX, VII, VI, V, and IV.

pLow7

While we can't agree which FF had the best soundtrack, i think we can pretty much agree on, that put together, the Final Fantasy Series has given us all around the best music pieces in gaming.

I'd put 6,7,9 above it for sure just in the FFs.

And then there's Mitsuda's three classics, Chrono Trigger (counting just the Mitsuda material), Xenogears, and Chrono Cross. I'd put all those above FF8.

Then outside the world of Square, Suikoden 2 has an amazing soundtrack that I'd put over any FFs.

Celegus

Eyes on me by faye wong and Suteki da ne in FFX

The most beautiful songs I have ever listened to.

Don't forget Melodies of Life from IX! Those are three of my all-time favorite FF songs, and I have a loooot of favorites. Eyes on Me was actually sung at my wedding, and it was incredible. We saw it live at Distant Worlds as well.

Ikael

An outsanding OST for a mediocre game. That being said, it was released during Squaresoft golden age for both games and music (Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve, Xenogears, ffVII and IX....)

It really is one of the best OSTs OF ALL TIME. Every time I want to mention a specific track I want to mention a few more after it, so I won't mention any. They're all amazing.

Balamb Garden theme <3

Agree with everything here and ESPECIALLY the spoiler.

Shouts to Fisherman's Horizon as well.

It's a great OST & one I love listening to, but ever?

There are 16 bit games whose soundtracks would contest that statement.

Chrono Trigger alone would be in most top 10 lists.

Top Bottom