• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster - PS3/Vita, 2013 [Amazon: $40, Trailer in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirNinja

December 17, 2013 for FFX's 12 year anniversary. :D

That would be July 19. And as much as I'd love for them to surprise us all at E3 (which is in mid-June this year) with a date of only one month away, it's probably not going to happen. Right now, the most specific time they've got for us is "2013" - the lack of a season/quarter there isn't encouraging.

That would be July 19. And as much as I'd love for them to surprise us all at E3 (which is in mid-June this year) with a date of only one month away, it's probably not going to happen. Right now, the most specific time they've got for us is "2013" - the lack of a season/quarter there isn't encouraging.

That's good enough for me. My backlog has been increasing so I'm in no big rush. But FFX/X-2 HD will be my priority when it comes out. Think they'll have any pre-order bonus? Like, an updated ost?

Aurizen

That's good enough for me. My backlog has been increasing so I'm in no big rush. But FFX/X-2 HD will be my priority when it comes out. Think they'll have any pre-order bonus? Like, an updated ost?

Thats date couldn't have been more perfect. maybe June but July I love and that's a Friday, if they make it the 16, since a lot of games are released on a Tuesday for some reason.

Blitzball would need to be completely redesigned from the ground up to be workable in online multiplayer. It's not remotely balanced for it, everyone would end up having the same teams, and there's too much you can do to keep the ball out of the opposing team's hands for the entire game (using fast-swimming characters like Brother, constantly passing back and forth, and so on). It wouldn't be fun.

At least humans wouldn't be fucked up by hiding behind the goalie... but oh wait, humans don't get to be in control while they're the defending team anyway. Yeah, it'd need a total redesign.

Hobbun

Thats date couldn't have been more perfect. maybe June but July I love and that's a Friday, if they make it the 16, since a lot of games are released on a Tuesday for some reason.

I wouldn’t count on it being released in July.

My issue is there was no footage shown for X-2, which makes me think that they are still working on (showable) footage. If the game would come out in July, it would need to go gold no later than E3 (and probably before that).

They could be farther along than I am thinking, but with them not giving an actual month (or even quarter) for release, doesn’t bode well for July.

Any chance they will get rid needing 0.0 in the chocobo race or dodge lighting?
I could see them tweaking some things about chocobo racing (THOSE FUCKING BIRDS) or allowing a more generous input window for lightning dodging, but the win requirements will likely remain the same.

Hobbun

I could see them tweaking some things about chocobo racing (THOSE FUCKING BIRDS) or allowing a more generous input window for lightning dodging, but the win requirements will likely remain the same.

I really hope you are right, I truly hated that Chocobo race.

But I have a feeling none of those mini-games will change at all.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Had no clue chocobo racing was even for a weapon..first try..got the sun thing lol. If I ever play the game again wonder if I can do it again.

I wouldn’t count on it being released in July.

My issue is there was no footage shown for X-2, which makes me think that they are still working on (showable) footage. If the game would come out in July, it would need to go gold no later than E3 (and probably before that).

They could be farther along than I am thinking, but with them not giving an actual month (or even quarter) for release, doesn’t bode well for July.

That does seem for odd to me as well. Maybe they are wanting to save that for later on closer to release? Wouldn't be the first time they piece milled out details for something coming soon.

If they had the seagulls spawn less often (especially in the final stretch or right on top of you), the chocobo racing would probably be one of the less tedious minigames to win at.

I mean, red light/green light, butterflies, and especially lightning dodging are so BORING. Chocobo racing isn't quite as boring, but it's a lot less fair.

Vade

The 0.0 birds was not even the hard part for the weapons. The only hard part about it was simply some of the layouts because of the balloon positions are impossible that is it.

The lightning dodging was also pretty easy, area right after the inn very little fog most of the time, just be sure to take a 5 minute break after every 50. The hard one was the blue butterflies if you do it after your first visit to the woods because afterwards the red butterflies double and their pattern is completely random, a la battletoads rapids.

It will be interesting to see what the omega ruins' boss is in the international version compared to the original version, push over, also I think they nerfed quick hit too in the pal. So barring the Super Bosses, damn slug, I look forward to the dark aeon challenges.

Vashetti

Banned
Never had a problem with Chocobo Racing, took me less than five tries. You all suck. :p

Now lightning dodging is another story, I wasn't really interested in Lulu at end-game.

I think my final team was something like Tidus, Yuna, Rikku/Auron (can't remember out of these two).

Never had a problem with Chocobo Racing, took me less than five tries. You all suck. :p

Now lightning dodging is another story, I wasn't really interested in Lulu at end-game.

I think my final team was something like Tidus, Yuna, Rikku/Auron (can't remember out of these two).
I remember Lulu not being as helpful to me, same with Kimahiri. I think her spells didn't really do enough damage or something around that.

Honestly, I can't wait to replay this game. I always wanted to but then this was announced way back so I stopped after the blitzball tournament. Love the music in this game, definitely Yuna's theme. I don't think there's a scene I hated in this game, in fact, I love the laughing scene. I need this game for my vita! I've been reading the final fantasy wiki since I don't really remember much about this game but I should stop.

Shahed

+ any potential lag from bluetooth DS3

Vita version should be immune though.

While that would be really helpful to have a Vita version there, there's no way FFX-2 could be played on Vita.

Trigger Happy would destroy my R button. It's already dodgy as it is

Skilletor

Since when is there lag from Bluetooth for the ds3?

Pretty sure it's been tested and has the same response time as a wired controller.

Timing lightning bolts wasn't difficult, it was tedious.

Lightning dodging + modern day televisions with input lag = doom.
This plus the input lag from Bluetooth is why I hope/suspect they might give lightning dodging more generous input window. Or be super-generous and just take away the penalty for hammering X, lol.
I remember Lulu not being as helpful to me, same with Kimahiri. I think her spells didn't really do enough damage or something around that.

Lulu and Kimahri are for sure the easiest characters to under-level, followed probably by Rikku and Yuna.

It helps to remember that all of the wasp/insect enemies have elemental weaknesses and it's not just the elementals/flans that you can bring Lulu out for. But also, you should really play FFX making sure to give every single character a turn in every battle (even if it's mostly just a Defend) and making sure to Overkill every single enemy (and especially every single boss). This is a little annoying at first, but gets easier and easier the further you get into it, and it makes you drastically more efficient at leveling. It also does a lot to discourage you from abusing Aeons and Overdrives to nuke boss battles, which is good because that's super lame.

Lulu's got one of the three best Ultimate Weapons, too, so she's a very useful party member all through the game. Even though her Overdrive is absolutely godawful in the late game (should've been half the damage, not half the power - 6 Ultima spells doing 15,000 a hit and followed by a huge CTB penalty is lame compared to simply doublecasting Ultima for 99,999x2 and very little CTB penalty, all for 4 MP).

SirNinja

I can easily see not platinuming this game. Lulu lightning dodging can screw off.
Everyone keeps talking about Tidus and Lulu's weapon quests. And while they were kind of a pain, it absolutely blows my mind that no one ever talks about Kimahri's. Was I seriously the only person on the planet that had a huge amount of trouble with that freaking butterfly minigame? I eventually gave up and made an identical custom weapon for him (EDIT: actually better - it had Triple AP instead of Double). It was honestly less time-consuming to farm up all the ingredients and make one from scratch.

Everyone keeps talking about Tidus and Lulu's weapon quests. And while they were kind of a pain, it absolutely blows my mind that no one ever talks about Kimahri's. Was I seriously the only person on the planet that had a huge amount of trouble with that freaking butterfly minigame? I eventually gave up and made an identical custom weapon for him (EDIT: actually better - it had Triple AP instead of Double). It was honestly less time-consuming to farm up all the ingredients and make one from scratch.

I never considered Kimahri's to be in the same league as Tidus's. The butterfly catching minigame is annoying, yes, but the butterflies are always in the same place--it's something you can learn.

Tidus's Chocobo race is inherently random and no matter how hard you try there will be occasions where the game just decides you should lose.

Double AP on so many of the Celestial Weapons seemed really dumb to me, since it was something that eventually ceased to be valuable. That goes double for Gillionaire. Tidus, Lulu, and Auron easily had the most useful ultimate weapons in the long term.

Seda

Yeah Rikku's ultimate weapon is not the greatest, at least that Sigil isn't difficult, just a bit time consuming.

Ixion

The ultimate weapon quests sucked. They just weren't fun and that was their biggest failing.

The only problems I had with FFX were the chocobo racing and the lightning dodging, so I partly agree, but I was fine with the other five quests. Capturing monsters (Auron), defeating all the Aeons at Remiem (Yuna), finding the Cactuars (Rikku), playing Blitzball (Wakka), and capturing the butterflies (Kimahri) were all pretty fun IMO.

The lightning dodging is just pure tedium, although I will admit that it's kind of fun to try and stay so focused for 20-30 minutes straight. The chocobo racing was basically all luck. It would have been a fun challenge though if your chocobo wasn't drunk. As long as the player is fully in control, there's nothing to complain about.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Chocobo racing still haunts my dreams. I wonder if they'll tone down the pain in this re-release?

Lulu's Ultimate wasn't as bad when you realize the dodges are continuously counted. No need to chain 200 in a row or whatever it was. I believe this is the case.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I never had much trouble with the Chocobo Race. I did in like, 30min or less? Now, the lightning dodge thing I could not stomach. I remember trying like 5 or 6 times, never able to get more than 10 in a row, and recognizing that it wasn't meant to be.

This time around, after years of fighting games, I think I'm ready to give it another go!

Also, rewatching the trailer, I noticed the Real Emotion clip was the Koda Kumi version.
=(

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
No, as soon as you change areas the counter resets to zero.

But if you stay in the area and dodge 'em the counter will still count all your dodges whether you get hit or not? This would be the worse mini-game ever if you had to dodge all of the lightning bolts without being hit once.

legacyzero

Banned
Please pleeease do FFXII after this. Especially after the glorious treatment this remaster is getting. I think I'd actually pay a full $40 for it.

The one thing I want out of an HD port of XII, on top of it being the International edition, is lossless compression for the audio. If you recall, they had to compress the shit out of it for the whole game to fit on one DVD, and the effects of that were very apparent. Everything sounded like shit.

If they ever announce this game, somebody somewhere needs to ask them if they intend to fix the game's audio. They need to be reminded of that fact, lest they forget and ship the game with the same compressed horse shit.

I never had much trouble with the Chocobo Race. I did in like, 30min or less? Now, the lightning dodge thing I could not stomach. I remember trying like 5 or 6 times, never able to get more than 10 in a row, and recognizing that it wasn't meant to be.

This time around, after years of fighting games, I think I'm ready to give it another go!

Also, rewatching the trailer, I noticed the Real Emotion clip was the Koda Kumi version.
=(

Chocobo racing is maybe the 3rd most unnecessary FF mini game ever.

And I'm almost certain that the English versions of the game will get Jade's versions, just because the international version of the game uses Jade's version anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom