• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2010 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
notworksafe said:
Having played both FFXI and WoW, (though I haven't played FFXI since it first came out on PS2 and a little bit in 2008) I can see the point of the ! mark for quests. It's useful for newbies who haven't leveled to full before. The problem is that they become very dull and just as grindy as anything else if you are going through a second (or third or even fourth) time.

The grouping in FFXI does add a new dimension and really highlights the MM part of MMO, but sometimes the lack of quests can make you feel a little lost and be frustrating if you aren't used to that.

I guess it's just based on what experience you come from. EQ1 players don't see a problem with playing FFXI as it is, but people who played WoW as a first MMO can take some time to adjust to a more "old-school" (not bad) style of play.

FFXI and WoW were both heavily based on the EQ style of game. There wasn't much else to look at for MMO devs at the time. The difference is that the WoW devs were a lot less hesitant to "dumb it down," which, according to several friends of mine, they're still doing.

I guess for me it's like "if you want a quest to do, go talk to an NPC.. duh?" But I guess WoW has set a new precedent in the RPG world. :(

notworksafe

A new precedent? Not so sure about that. RPGs have had obvious quest givers for a long time. It's not like Blizzard invented the concept of someone saying "Hey, I have this thing for you to do!"

Also, "dumbing it down" is not exactly the best way to describe it. I think it's kind of neat how Blizzard has made WoW accessible to everyone. There are still both "casual" and "hardcore" ways to play.

Want story? Luckily there is plenty of quest text, in-game story moments and cutscenes. Don't care about story? Skip the quest text, don't bother sticking around to see dialogue and story scenes and skip the extra cutscenes.

Want some quick dungeons with bosses that aren't terribly hard, but still fun? They got it! Looking for a challenge? Talk to the NPC in the dungeon or switch to Hard Mode.

I just like that WoW gives the player so much control over exactly what kind of experience they want to have. There are people who level solo, in groups, with pve, with pvp, or even without killing a single mob or player. FFXIV seems to be heading in a more open direction as well. I think people may be upset about it being more like WoW but as long as Square lets the player make a choice on how they want to play, everyone wins.

notworksafe said:
A new precedent? Not so sure about that. RPGs have had obvious quest givers for a long time. It's not like Blizzard invented the concept of someone saying "Hey, I have this thing for you to do!"

Also, "dumbing it down" is not exactly the best way to describe it. I think it's kind of neat how Blizzard has made WoW accessible to everyone. There are still both "casual" and "hardcore" ways to play.

Want story? Luckily there is plenty of quest text, in-game story moments and cutscenes. Don't care about story? Skip the quest text, don't bother sticking around to see dialogue and story scenes and skip the extra cutscenes.

Want some quick dungeons with bosses that aren't terribly hard, but still fun? They got it! Looking for a challenge? Talk to the NPC in the dungeon or switch to Hard Mode.

I just like that WoW gives the player so much control over exactly what kind of experience they want to have. There are people who level solo, in groups, with pve, with pvp, or even without killing a single mob or player. FFXIV seems to be heading in a more open direction as well. I think people may be upset about it being more like WoW but as long as Square lets the player make a choice on how they want to play, everyone wins.

Yeah, I completely agree that a more open and accessible game is good. It's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to FFXIV. I just feel like having the option to put a big "!" above quest givers' heads makes questing feel pointless and hollow.

Quest NPCs have always been obvious, but only once you actually decide to talk to them and hear what they want you to do. When it's marked for you, I feel the NPCs might as well be inanimate and meaningless objects that you run around and click on to earn exp.

notworksafe

HappyBivouac said:
Yeah, I completely agree that a more open and accessible game is good. It's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to FFXIV. I just feel like having the option to put a big "!" above quest givers' heads makes questing feel pointless and hollow.

Quest NPCs have always been obvious, but only once you actually decide to talk to them and hear what they want you to do. When it's marked for you, I feel the NPCs might as well be inanimate and meaningless objects that you run around and click on to earn exp.

I agree with you in some respects. I think a lot of the difference is that quests are pretty much only for leveling in WoW and become optional and somewhat pointless (except for story) once you hit 80, for the most part. In FFXI it seems they are more important to the endgame player and contribute a lot to the experience.

Also, there are a lot of patches to download for this game! Wow...this may take longer for me to start then I expected.

bardia

I haven't played this game in about a year and a half now, but I was just wondering if people have finally started killing PW and AV consistently yet? Or is AV still impossible to beat, I remember trying it a few times after they patched the whole locking it glitch but we never managed to even get close to beating it.

notworksafe said:
I agree with you in some respects. I think a lot of the difference is that quests are pretty much only for leveling in WoW and become optional and somewhat pointless (except for story) once you hit 80, for the most part. In FFXI it seems they are more important to the endgame player and contribute a lot to the experience.

Also, there are a lot of patches to download for this game! Wow...this may take longer for me to start then I expected.

Think of it like this. What used to be the first rule of ANY rpg? Talk to everyone! Still applies.

hgplayer1

pancakesandsex said:
Think of it like this. What used to be the first rule of ANY rpg? Talk to everyone! Still applies.

Yeah but you can talk to every NPC in FFXI and still not have a clue as to where you should go next.

I DARE you to complete most of these quests without a guide. I've always been curious how people completed quests and missions when this game first came out. Some of the NPCs give you very limited and vague information.

hgplayer1 said:
Yeah but you can talk to every NPC in FFXI and still not have a clue as to where you should go next.

I DARE you to complete most of these quests without a guide. I've always been curious how people completed quests and missions when this game first came out. Some of the NPCs give you very limited and vague information.

It's really not that hard. We're just so conditioned to use guides that using deductive reasoning seems so daunting.

I will say that there are a few quests that give absolutely no clues, but with most of them, especially if you know stuff about the world, it's not too difficult to figure stuff out without a guide. And when you do, it feels great.

Teknoman

pancakesandsex said:

I hope its like that in XIV, just without extremely vague descriptions.

hgplayer1 said:

I agree that completing them can be rather obtuse, but the lack of flashing lights above the heads of npcs who give them in the first place isn't really an issue.

hgplayer1

pancakesandsex said:
I agree that completing them can be rather obtuse, but the lack of flashing lights above the heads of npcs who give them in the first place isn't really an issue.

Oh I totally agree with that. there just should have been more info in the quest logs and NPC dialouge.

CrankyJay

Banned
I came back for 2-3 days in December to check out my account and see if friends were still around. 2 months later I get a $40 bill from SE after I canceled my content ids. Whoops. Looks like I got hacked.

Called the 1-800 number and someone got into my account, change my pw so I couldn't log onto PlayOnline, then did a world transfer and kept using my card for monthly fees. =(

Thankfully they're looking to refund my money after a fraud investigation. I'm glad I check my statements regularly, and glad it wasn't a larger amount than $40.

Guess I must have some spyware or something on my machine.

Ravidrath

Teknoman

I know this is sorta off topic, but dont we have some Chilean LS members?

EDIT: Yup, now wondering about the Peaceful Rain crew.

Mariner

Happy to hear you're doing OK Sacan! :D

Ugh, I can't wait for the event to begin. Hopefully they finally throw BLM some job enhancements. BST could use some more love as well. If things turn out pretty good I might re-up my subscription.

I doubt they talk about FFXIV very much. A beta date would be cool though.

Teknoman

Shadowlord armor, weapons, campaign exclusive weapon skills (Uriel Blade equal stuff with angel wings).

March Updated = end of Wings missions I think.

FFXI Planner Fujito is up now to reveal to us a brand new branching quest system referred to as “Trial of the Magians”.

demonkaze

Not even over yet and ive decided to reactivate my account! Does square enix still do that bullshit with billing you twice? If I come back today am I gonna get charged today and tomorrow?

Teknoman

Though the term is not yet finalized, adventurers will be able to earn “AF3” in Abyssea.

These differ from previous add-ons in that adventurer focus will be on fighting strong enemies, epic battles, and new armor to collect.

5d_1845en2.jpg

5f_2597.jpg

5e_7984.jpg

Teknoman

"With the eagerly anticipated FINAL FANTASY XIV drawing ever nearer its beta test phase, we are excited to announce that we will be conducting a closed alpha test—exclusive to our loyal FINAL FANTASY XI users! Those who have been selected as beta testers can expect to receive further information starting from Monday, March 1."

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/event/vanafes2010/
-Secret Bonus section

Looks like we get VIP passes :lol

Its too much SE! Let me have my life back! >_< ;(

:lol

I seriously, can't play FFXI AND FFXIV but they're gonna make me aren't they? This FFXI stuff is insane!

Nakazato

Teknoman said:
"With the eagerly anticipated FINAL FANTASY XIV drawing ever nearer its beta test phase, we are excited to announce that we will be conducting a closed alpha test—exclusive to our loyal FINAL FANTASY XI users! Those who have been selected as beta testers can expect to receive further information starting from Monday, March 1."

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/event/vanafes2010/
-Secret Bonus section

Looks like we get VIP passes :lol
send info gafs way ; ; i could join for one day to get in but i dont have the money lol

argh, this is too much, I just don't have the time for ffxi anymore but I want to play all this new stuff D:
and the old stuff I still didn't finish :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Level 99... oh my god.

I'm coming back for you RNG/NIN PAL/WAR, I'm coming back!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Man they're going to ruin the game.

99 level cap? They seriously want us to do 25 more levels? Level 63-75 takes as much experience as 1-63. How long will it take people to get up to 99? Especially with every person in the game fighting for exp spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom