• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

rezn0r

I just can't believe my Amazon delivery is not "out for delivery" yet. I'm really tired of this garbage Amazon Prime service

Sorry to hear, I've had some bad launches in the past too. This one I got the delivery notification at like 10AM. Made me wish I banged in or "worked remotely".

My LE copy should be arriving from Amazon today.

I'm still really mad that my CE was cancelled though so I'm not gonna play the game for a bit. I really wanted that steelbook.

Now to look for people selling the CE steelbook.

God, just finished the intro and I forgot how...completely different this is from every other mainline Final Fantasy game, released both before and afterwards. Never finished it back when it came out. Definitely going to do so now, I feel like I'll appreciate it more. Beautiful steelbook, too.

*Sees airship*

God...I wish Skies of Arcadia would get a remaster like this...

JJShadow

BM, it will take some good 10 hours before you can get the second job and magic will make your life much easier.

The second job will be unlocked soon enough, so pick whatever you prefer. I'd go with Black Mage personally, if only because there are enemies who have weaknesses to exploit and flying ones who a monk can't hit (also, Garuda at Raithwall is a flying boss).

Thanks! Black Mage it is then

Slaythe

My LE copy should be arriving from Amazon today.

I'm still really mad that my CE was cancelled though so I'm not gonna play the game for a bit. I really wanted that steelbook.

Now to look for people selling the CE steelbook.

I mean... Who would buy the CE to sell the steelbook ?

If they spent that much to get it, they're either scalpers or fans, either way, I don't see them specifically selling the CE steelbook on its own ?

Unless they manufacture it and it's a copy or something.

Samurai/White mage don't do much for each other. If you're mainly using it as a white mage you're gaining very little from Samurai. If you're using it mainly as a Samurai, you gain no battle lores and no Adrenaline or Focus. That limits its potential as a DPS machine. I didn't say it was bad, just that the synergy is bad.

Fair enough.

I understand the gear point, it was more of a general rule of thumb advice that applies for a big part of the game.You won't max MAG for a long time.

Ehhh another thing is that each job also has a bunch of stat boosting licences.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Even though the stats are different, it's still feasible with pretty much any combo of people in the jobs you want. Just might take a little longer.

Arguably the best jobs for those guys are:
Ashe - Samurai
Penelo - Black Mage
Fran - Breaker

Up to you if you wanna add some healing in there or whatnot. I'd probably give support roles to Fran so Ashe/Penelo can do damage.

Duly noted.

So hyped to return to my favorite FF world!

I'm going to go with those Lore Friendly job classes, as that's usually how I pick these type of things.

My copy came in this morning, just before I left for work.

I mean... Who would buy the CE to sell the steelbook ?

If they spent that much to get it, they're either scalpers or fans, either way, I don't see them specifically selling the CE steelbook on its own ?

Unless they manufacture it and it's a copy or something.
Don't bring logic into this Slaythe! It'll make me feel worse!

iosefe

got the steelbook for the sake of the steelbook, and plan on using the new remsatered soundtrack.

who would like my OST code?

kromeo

- Vaan's english voice, it should be illegal. Not only is it cringe, it also has compression on it during some scenes, probably because of its pitch. It's rather jarring compared to the rest, and especially after trying out the japanese version.

But it's awesome overall, just nitpicking.

I don't think Vaan's voice is awful, just very American

Kadin

Anyone play this via PCSX2 and able to give a quick impression of how that looked compared to this version?

I have to play the above version because I hate the inverted X controls on my PS2. I also don't own a PS4 so yeah, is it really a lot better?

Pygrus

Anyone play this via PCSX2 and able to give a quick impression of how that looked compared to this version? I have to play the above version because I hate the inverted X controls on my PS2. I also don't own a PS4 so yeah, is it really a lot better?

The remastered soundtrack alone makes the game better.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Anyone play this via PCSX2 and able to give a quick impression of how that looked compared to this version?

I have to play the above version because I hate the inverted X controls on my PS2. I also don't own a PS4 so yeah, is it really a lot better?

Yeah it's a lot better by all accounts. New lighting, better texture work, actual correct aspect ratio maps+UI elements, not to mention the gameplay fixes. Digital Foundry did a video about it the other day.

FinalAres

I don't think Vaan's voice is awful, just very American
I actually really liked vaan, especially after tidus. I don't think this the VA which is the problem, it's just that he's a young angsty boy. I understand why that's annoying, but to me thats way better than gruff angsty tough guy which is what all western games have.

Salarians

Vaan's voice is great, very well casted. Strong voice work can make otherwise uninteresting characters likable to me and Vaan is a great example of that.

Nohar

Regarding Vaan, I just wish we could change his clothes to his FFTA2 ones. Such an improvement, it is a disgrace we can't have him wear these.

kromeo

I actually really liked vaan, especially after tidus. I don't think this the VA which is the problem, it's just that he's a young angsty boy. I understand why that's annoying, but to me thats way better than gruff angsty tough guy which is what all western games have.

I can see why some people might find it slightly jarring, was the same with me and Tales of Zestiria, Sorey and Mikleo sound very high school musical but I got used to it pretty quickly

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Got my Limited Steelbook Edition from Amazon.

God I've waited for this day sooooooo long.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Got my CE in hand.

Pretty sure I overpaid for a bunch of dumb garbage but I had the instinct to go all out on one of my favorite games.

Now to crack this thing open and get to the game I love...

aravuus

Unlocked the second jobs. Now I'm starting to get some hard damn choices lol.

Thank god Shikari's Ninja Swords 1 has a good range of weapon licenses from the worst to the third best in the category. Can just ignore NS2 and 3. I can probably ignore the HP +300-ish license too, or I'd at least imagine HP gets naturally pretty high to the point that a couple of hundred won't really matter.

I chose unique job combinations for Basch and Fran too, but I'm not sure if I'll ever really use them. Basch is pretty much the same as Vaan except more Dark-oriented and Fran is a pretty good healer, but Ashe is probably better.

Valonquar

The truly refreshing thing about this FF is you can go damn near everywhere and do loads of hunts & leveling right out of the main gate. Soon as you have freedom, and a few characters in your party you can just fuck off and explore a huge amount of the world.

I feel a bit boxed in by the job choices. You really don't have anything to go on except the short description on the job selection wheel - Balthier and Fran carry a gun and bow respectively already, so it feels like I should pick the jobs fitting to their weapons, but where's the fun in that?

I'm overwhelmed already! - I don't want to cripple a character, but I also want to pick a mix of jobs I'm happy with for the rest of the game. :/

I'm going for a Lore Friendly build from that Google doc. I'm not screwing myself over, am I?

Vaan - Shikari / Foebreaker
Balthier - Machinist / Uhlan
Fran - Archer / Red Battlemage
Basch - Knight / Bushi
Ashe - White Mage / Time Battlemage
Penelope - Monk / Black Mage

Ydelnae

Spoilers from 4h in, after Vaan steals the rock thing
I hope Penelo died in the attack and we don't have to deal with her for the rest of the game. Would fit with the way she said goodbye to Vaan during her last cutscene.

I know she doesn't die, but it would be amazing if TZA played exactly like the original game in terms of story, with the exception of Penelo being fucking dead at the beginning. Give her the Stella treatment.

Caim

I'm going for a Lore Friendly build from that Google doc. I'm not screwing myself over, am I?

Vaan - Shikari / Foebreaker
Balthier - Machinist / Uhlan
Fran - Archer / Red Battlemage
Basch - Knight / Bushi
Ashe - White Mage / Time Battlemage
Penelope - Monk / Black Mage

You'll be fine.

I hope Penelo died in the attack and we don't have to deal with her for the rest of the game. Would fit with the way she said goodbye to Vaan during her last cutscene.

I know she doesn't die, but it would be amazing if TZA played exactly like the original game in terms of story, with the exception of Penelo being fucking dead at the beginning. Give her the Stella treatment.
Panelo is FFs best example of the cute n' plucky archetype.

lovelyperson

Neo Member
So my local Best Buy "ran out of stock" of the LE Steelbook Edition, which I had pre-ordered... How is this possible? Did they basically just give my copy away? I didn't know that could happen.

Seriously miffed because now I have to go to some other BB in another city because they won't let me ship to address.

Rolling with (thus far):

Vaan - Monk
Penelo - Black Mage

Hopefully that works out so far, up to exploring Giza Plains for the first time. I kind of like this added twist on the gameplay now having to decide Jobs, especially since I never played International Zodiac Job System, so all of these changes feel even more fresh. Also really enjoying the option to switch between the 3 versions of the Soundtrack and the option to turn x2 or x4 Speed on, both of which of those options(music changing + Game Speed) which will make the backtracking better now.

Game looks even better than I remember to be honest. Looks incredible overall, they've done a masterful job of keeping the art direction of the original intact whilst improving the visuals. So glad they went this route rather than a complete remake, love the PS2 character models (was always top 3 best looking game on the system).

No idea what Jobs I should set with the rest of my Party, but I will wing it and see how it goes.

Is thay a FFXV spoiler in a FFXII thread..? :(

Top Bottom