• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Young Magus

So yo,
I just fought/got Belias and I'm back in the town area.

Any sidequest I should look out for or should I just go to the next story point?

SMK

When do you get access to choosing your secondary jobs?

Was planning on having Balthier as a Machinst/White Mage, but wasnt sure If I should go White Mage first or second.

Right after you fight Belias. I personally went White Mage first.

Jolkien

Any recommendation on how to spend my rare-game trophy in the trophy hunt ? I'm torn about what to go for. I have 1 of each jobs.

jimmypython

I was a FFXI hardcore when this game released back on the day, i felt like it was like the natural improvement of what we had in FFXI regarding the battle system; much faster, dynamic and with much more options avalaible (gambits are so awesome, and probably because it's a SOLO game devs had much more freedom to make it more enjoyable than FFXI's battle system). It still works a lot like that, so if you knew how FFXI worked you had it easy to understand the combat mechanics, hell, there's even "provoke", a hate management system from the enemies, had to think how to deal with packs of enemies and all those things. And of course the meta game is much more interesting and "stable" in FFXI it was a little "sloppy" and the battles were so fucking slow and some just took too long even if your HNMLS did its absolute best.

I find a shame that they didn't build more things upon FFXII systems, a coop online crawler would have been awesome too!

Someone correct me if I am wrong, doesn't FF14 play similarly too?

Aeana

Hold up. There are spells attainable only through clan ranks?

Yeah. The clan shop in the muthru bazaar in Rabanastre will carry a couple of things, including decoy, drain, and syphon (aspir).

As an aside, one of the best things you unlock via the clan shop is the cat-ear hood. In this version of the game, it converts all gained LP into gil (LP * CharacterLv * 5), and it stacks based on the number of characters who have it equipped. Equipping it on 3 moderately leveled characters and cruising them through even the first 10 levels of trial mode is a super fast way to make money.

RPGCrazied

Silence does make it easier, I did it. He still uses renew though, which sucks. Haste is important too.

All it did by beating him
was unlocking areas to high for me. lol

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Yeah. The clan shop in the muthru bazaar in Rabanastre will carry a couple of things, including decoy, drain, and syphon (aspir).

As an aside, one of the best things you unlock via the clan shop is the cat-ear hood. In this version of the game, it converts all gained LP into gil (LP * CharacterLv * 5), and it stacks based on the number of characters who have it equipped. Equipping it on 3 moderately leveled characters and cruising them through even the first 10 levels of trial mode is a super fast way to make money.
This game... This excitement I feel while playing. It's been a while. 👴

Big Chungus

I think I messed up...

I made Fran into a Red Mage like the OP says...but i'm not feeling it, she hardly does any damage.

Now im not sure who to make into a healer...Ashe or Penelo.

halp

Perineum

I think I messed up...

I made Fran into a Red Mage like the OP says...but i'm not feeling it, she hardly does any damage.

halp

Well have you got to subclasses? I did Archer first then RDM for Fran. Don't fret---once she gets bows gaht damn her damage is ridiculous. Plus once you get her turnt up on the LP on RDM you can see some crazy numbers.

Her and Ashe do obscene damage just with base attacks. Fran with bow and Ashe with xbows.

Edit: @Sub Boss---This. I LOVED Persona 4. Still my favorite JRPG of all time. I had high hopes for Persona 5, but that game looses steam after dungeon 3/4, and never manages to pick it back up. You will start wishing it was over because of pacing and character issues. People think Penlelo is a trash tier character, but I can't even recall the last girl you get in your cast from Persona 5 because she's that much of a throwaway character.

Go with this. You will thank yourself because games like this just don't come around anymore. It only gets better the further I have gotten in, and x2 x4 speed up makes it a fun and quick romp when you want to grind out levels, LP, and some items to get money.

I think I messed up...

halp

Naw red mages are pretty great, but it takes time to get things going.

Make Penelo in a healer.

Aeana

I think I messed up...

halp

Red mage is one of the best jobs in the game, honestly. I've beaten the International version twice with a solo red mage. Pick up the magick lore licenses, and pair it with another job that has a lot of magick lore licenses (like black mage) once you get access to second jobs. Mace damage is also calculated based on magic attack, so it's extremely beneficial to get that as high as you can as early as you can.

Dark is an extremely good, efficient spell at the start of the game, btw.

So yo,
I just fought/got Belias and I'm back in the town area.

Any sidequest I should look out for or should I just go to the next story point?
In addition to the Hunts already mentioned, post-Raithwall a few dungeons sort of open up.

Gameplay/non-story spoilers:
You can access Zertinan Caverns proper now from Ozmone Plains; you can re-access Barheim Passage and across to the West Annex now because you can now take the ferry across the Estersand river to complete the Barheim Passage quest; a few 'strong' weapons are now available early at this point, too: Demonsbane, Deathbringer, Arcturus, Iga Blade, Platinum Dagger, ummm I think three different hammers/axes via Barheim chests or rare drop in Zertinan; Kikuiasdfasdf katana and I think also Aki-no-whatever too. Basically, a large variety of 70-99 Attack Power weapons when I think shops only sell about ATK 50ish at that point.

They'll break the story difficulty though, which may or may not already be buckling under possibly being overleveled or too well augmented hhhh.

But you're likely to get your butt kicked in those areas anyhow, so you kinda need one or two of them to help [efficiently] get the rest. Some of the Hunts at this point too are well above the story level so they greatly help with those.

I grabbed Arcturus first because the Silent Shot helped with all the damn spell-casting ghosts/skellies in Barheim, and you can get a Berserker Glove (in north Estersand) while getting the key and that fits a DPS Machinist well. Then I grabbed a Deathbringer and various other things from Barheim (the place is loaded with chests) and that sort of boosted help me survive early in Zertinan Caverns. It also helps greatly at this point (minor character spoiler) because
Larsa joins your party again and thanks to the new Guest control in TZA, you can give him a Gambit to cast Bubble on your party which means even at Lv25-29 you probably got like 6000-7500 HP lol thanks to the new License Boards

Astral Dog

-This. I LOVED Persona 4. Still my favorite JRPG of all time. I had high hopes for Persona 5, but that game looses steam after dungeon 3/4, and never manages to pick it back up. You will start wishing it was over because of pacing and character issues. People think Penlelo is a trash tier character, but I can't even recall the last girl you get in your cast from Persona 5 because she's that much of a throwaway character.

Go with this. You will thank yourself because games like this just don't come around anymore. It only gets better the further I have gotten in, and x2 x4 speed up makes it a fun and quick romp when you want to grind out levels, LP, and some items to get money.

Its $45 on Amazon.

I say get this first. I liked P5, but this will keep you satisfied for weeks. Its a giant game.
thank you i will see if i can find FFX for much cheaper or play XII

Red mage is one of the best jobs in the game, honestly. I've beaten the International version twice with a solo red mage. Pick up the magick lore licenses, and pair it with another job that has a lot of magick lore licenses (like black mage) once you get access to second jobs. Mace damage is also calculated based on magic attack, so it's extremely beneficial to get that as high as you can as early as you can.

Dark is an extremely good, efficient spell at the start of the game, btw.
I really love Dark, too. I kept using my RDM instead of my WHM because instead of just using Cura and being gimpy with a rod, my RDM was busting out <if Enemy HP = 100%, use Dark> for fairly great but also efficient area-effect and initial DPS. I relegated my WHM to my OOC heal/buff bot lol.

Impulsor

So I managed to get 6 seitengrat bows in a row. Nothing was working for me.

It was probably due to my ssd. Once the chest spawn I just had to count 3 times for the boy to reach his parent instead of 4. I assume this is because loading times between zoning are quicker for me and as soon as I loaded into the deck the kid had already stopped in front of his parent once, thus I was never getting the seitengrat because I was actually opening the chest on the 5th time instead of the 4th.

So when I was in front of the chest i counted 3 instead of 4, which totals to 4, and got the bow every time I did that, 6 times in a row.

Just on case some of you guys are having the same problem. Try counting 3 instead of 4.

This or Persona 5
also how much FFXII cost $60?

FFXII and Persona 5 both have a ton of content, but at least FFXII is quite flexible about what you choose to complete (ie. hunts, optional areas/dungeons.) I sadly found I got quite burnt out on P5 half way through, and there is very little in P5 that is skippable to power through to the next main story beat. (Though I guess you could just skip the social links entirely, that would cut down some time, be a bit of a shame, though.) If you start to feel burnt out on FFXII, it's a lot easier - and now speedier! - to get to the end, or the next main story beat. They are both great games, though, FFXII is probably just more flexible and gives the player a lot more freedom if that's something you like in an RPG.

^ No, just LP.

&#8711; Also, no. Not much point using it in general situaitons There are some good items you can get from it, but they're so few and far between that it's usually something you learn from a FAQ or the Wikia weapon/armor list, and then you specifically try Poach that monster -- I've never ran a general Gambit for it before. That said, as a huge fan of Poaching in FF Tactics, I applaud you if you try use it and discover all the poached items yourself hhhh~

RPGCrazied

Do inactive party members receive any XP? If so, how much %?

Nope, just LP.

Though they do level up kinda quickly. My Ashe is gaining steam to my others at level 33. She is mid 20's now.

I started to level her up when she was like level 9 when my main 3 were in their mid twenties.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Nope, just LP.

Though they do level up kinda quickly. My Ashe is gaining steam to my others at level 33. She is mid 20's now.

I started to level her up when she was like level 9 when my main 3 were in their mid twenties.
Ah, 100% LP? If so, that's still not too bad.

I have Bash as a Knight / Bushi with a katana and Genji gloves. Because of the latter the katana is a no-brainer I guess, but I'm wondering if the share of strength/magic is equal for damage calculating or should I favor one? Like 2x Heavy Armor, 2x Magic or 1x Magic, 1x Heavy. Suggestions?

mstevens

About to start and I have a few questions

Thinking about doing this:

Vaan - Breaker/Hunter (Genji glove?)
Ashe - White Mage/Machinist
Basch - Samurai/Knight (Genji glove?)
Penelo - Black Mage/Monk
Balthier - Time Mage/Uhlan
Fran - Red Mage/Archer

Two questions about the team set up:

1. If I remember correctly (it has been awhile) we don't get Ashe until a ways into the game. Would I be okay without a white mage till I get her?
2. Also, this set up should be able to take out any superbosses, ya?

Couple other questions are:

3. Any missable items in this version that I should be worried about?
4. Any missable trophies?

I'd like to go through this without even looking at a guide if the answers to 3 and 4 are no.

1. If I remember correctly (it has been awhile) we don't get Ashe until a ways into the game. Would I be okay without a white mage till I get her?
You won't get Cura until after you have her anyhow so regardless of your Jobs you'll mostly be using potions and Cure.

You're probably sort of OK without Cura until you get your 2nd Jobs even, though that's starting to stretch it (and probably all your Hi-Potions) a fair bit.

So yeah, you're OK without either a WHM or RDM until around or shortly after you get Ashe. Once you get her though it certainly begins to be nice, and within a few hours it'll start getting tricky unless you either have Cura or you're Hi-Potion-rich.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yes. Once the chest has spawned, the trick to get the item from it seems to be at least 95%. I hesitate to say 100% but it's very, very reliable. Basically, you watch the kid. He'll go into the corner, and then walk over to his parent. Watch him go into the corner 4 times, and after the 4th, the very instant he stops in front of his parent, hit confirm and you should get it.
Thanks, I'm gonna try it tomorrow again. It's nice that everyone can use that bow so I don't have to level up my archer. I guess that wouldn't matter anyway because Fran should be one-shotting everybody.

Perineum

thank you i will see if i can find FFX for much cheaper or play XII

Oh I didn't know X was in this equation.

FF12
P5
FFX

In my opinion the games in terms of quality. Take in mind though I have NOT completed FF12 ever. I haven't hated a second of it yet though.

P5 as I mentioned has a huge chunk of the game that you may end up hating like others have on here. It has a great payout, but man the pacing has serious issues for a lot of the dungeons.

FFX is a tough call. For me when I tried to play FFX remaster I couldn't get back into it. It just didn't stand the test of time for me. That said when I was younger I LOVED this game, and I still think it is one of the better FF's. Even with P5's shortcomings though I would play P5 over FFX with the taste I have in games now.

Either way you go though there is a good game involved and your own personal tastes will shift which you end up liking more than the next.

george_us

I loved FF12 back in the day but man Zodiac Age might go down as my second favorite FF ever behind 7. And to be honest, 7's in the top spot because of nostalgia although it is still perfectly fun to this day. I've never straight up had this much fun actually PLAYING a FF game. Like, if you stripped out all of the story elements, it'd still be fun as fuck to play. Great stuff.

Each character gets three quickenings, right? So does that mean I shouldn't unlock the first quickening license I see? I have Vaan as a Shikari and I see the quickening license that blocks Ninja Swords 1 but I'm not sure if I should skip that.

Jolkien

Each character gets three quickenings, right? So does that mean I shouldn't unlock the first quickening license I see? I have Vaan as a Shikari and I see the quickening license that blocks Ninja Swords 1 but I'm not sure if I should skip that.

They have 4 quickening. Make sure to check both board to see which three you should unlock. For exemple if one cost 80, it'll unlock the same in the second board.

You can always pick 3 our for 4 for every jobs combo

Top Bottom