• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Each character gets three quickenings, right? So does that mean I shouldn't unlock the first quickening license I see? I have Vaan as a Shikari and I see the quickening license that blocks Ninja Swords 1 but I'm not sure if I should skip that.
You should look at other boards that you plan to pair with characters and see what licences are locked behind certain Quickenings and plan accordingly.
With Shikari especially you have to choose which of the 3 of 4 ninja sword licences you want, because you /will/ have to go without one of them. I personally skipped Ninja Swords 1.

Fuck this one dungeon with its Stone Gigas and JoJo Aztec bullshit. I spend 40% of my time just making Ashe and Penelo run around in circles because I can't find any ethers anywhere. It's terrible that my black Mage is made to lose all her MP just to open doors. I hate it!

Jolkien

Fuck this one dungeon with its Stone Gigas and JoJo Aztec bullshit. I spend 40% of my time just making Ashe and Penelo run around in circles because I can't find any ethers anywhere. It's terrible that my black Mage is made to lose all her MP just to open doors. I hate it!

Make sure to setup a gambit so that they cast charge when their MP hits 10%. I don't recall running out of MP ever, I used a few ethers in my 65h so far. Charge is god tier

Where's Excalibur? Don't tell me they moved that too?!

In the Zodiac versions, the Excalibur is found inside Great Crystal - Crystal Peak, where the party fights Ultima. It is possible to acquire the Excalibur while still fighting her. Only the Knight class can equip it by unlocking its eponymous license for 135 LP.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
My OCD is triggered as fuck that every character is 2nd class/1rst class in the menu. But goddamn Uhlan Basch is 1rst class/2nd class. Grrrr.

Make sure to setup a gambit so that they cast charge when their MP hits 10%. I don't recall running out of MP ever, I used a few ethers in my 65h so far. Charge is god tier

Hmm. I just avoided Charge because the chance of losing all the MP seems like a bad deal to me.
Don't think that would help my current situation, though, since there hasn't been any gambit shops outside the big cities, and I don't see myself getting out of this dungeon anytime soon.

Balphon

My OCD is triggered as fuck that every character is 2nd class/1rst class in the menu. But goddamn Uhlan Basch is 1rst class/2nd class. Grrrr.

They're given priority in the display according to the zodiac sign assigned to the class. Uhlan is Taurus so it's fairly high.

It's a bit weird.

Perineum

Can't you load up a save or leave to go buy ethers? Or switch to an all high melee/ranged DPS build that uses potion gambits instead of cure ones ?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
They're given priority in the display according to the zodiac sign assigned to the class. Uhlan is Taurus so it's fairly high.

It's a bit weird.

Shoulda just been first and then second. Dammit SE. You had to make things strange didn't you?

barrin87

I looked up how to get into the Pilgrims Door in Sochen Cave and it said there is a Koga or Iga Blade but all I get is a Megalixer. Was that changed in this version? Not sure if I should reload until I get the blade.

Jolkien

You could buy ethers?!?!? That's news to me.

You can buy them from the hunter bazaar vendor in Rabanastre, needs to be unlocked I'm not sure what rank you need. They cost 240gil iirc

I looked up how to get into the Pilgrims Door in Sochen Cave and it said there is a Koga or Iga Blade but all I get is a Megalixer. Was that changed in this version? Not sure if I should reload until I get the blade.

It's changed. It's a megalixir, I just double checked for you in my guide (Zodiac Version)

Aeana

You can equip the dawn shard on any character and use them... However, you only need to have that equipped to touch two switches in the entire dungeon. You don't need it on for doors.

But also, if you progress your clan rank enough, you can buy ethers from the clan shop in Rabanastre for 222 gil apiece.

Don't follow guides for the original FF12 -- every single chest in the game has changed.
This one matches up with the International Zodiac Job System release.

Jolkien

I'm up to go to
Giruvegan
and all my license have been completely filled out for quite some time wished they'd be bigger boards :p

Guess I could use the cat ear hood but I don't really need the gil I'm at 1 million so far.

You can equip the dawn shard on any character and use them... However, you only need to have that equipped to touch two switches in the entire dungeon. You don't need it on for doors.

But also, if you progress your clan rank enough, you can buy ethers from the clan shop in Rabanastre for 222 gil apiece.

Oh wow, thanks! Literally didn't know any of this clan shop stuff. I think I'm way underleveled for this dungeon (average is lvl 21) but it could just be shitty equipment.

It's impressive how deep the gameplay systems are, especially compared to 13 and 15, but it is really overwhelming that I just end up missing major things.

Idk if I'm playing this game right. My knowledge of ff is like 15 14 and tactics so can't help but feel like I'm fucking up.

I'm in bhujerba and just got done with the first dungeon in there but was getting beat up pretty hard.

I have vaan as a knight, balthier as a machinist, Fran as an archer, and basch as a bushi.

any decent tips for somebody that is completely blind on this game?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've played this game for about 40 of the last 60 hours, it's got me totally sucked in. I decided to go with the "lore-friendly" guide posted in the OP and it's been mostly alright. The only grinding I've had to do was before the Belias fight (since I didn't have a white mage and that was problematic in that fight). I passed through Giruvegan which is always a pretty good place to grind by just being there. On to the Pharos...

My characters are around level 50 although I didn't use Fran (Archer / Black Mage) much so she's still level 10.

This is such a great update to such a great game.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
OMG on my first try with 4x NPC thingy.

DE_SKJBVwAEXovs.jpg

thedan001

So seitengrat is pretty much figured out.

Has anyone had any luck with the invisible shield (Gendarme) and/or Trango Tower (1H sword)?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm really sucked into the game because the gameplay and the world are fun.

But I have major issues with the story. The start till the end of Tomb of Raithwall were solid, like the area around Rabanastre was fully developed. What comes after that is the problem. The rest of the story and worlds have been put on fastforward. The whole Mt. Bur-Omisace section was done pretty quickly and the towns are much smaller compared to Rabanastre and the Sandsea sections.

I guess the first half of the game is strong in terms of content, the rest of the half is streamlined with lack of cutscenes and stories and it's obvious they want the game over with.

I3rand0

You should look at other boards that you plan to pair with characters and see what licences are locked behind certain Quickenings and plan accordingly.
With Shikari especially you have to choose which of the 3 of 4 ninja sword licences you want, because you /will/ have to go without one of them. I personally skipped Ninja Swords 1.

I fucked this up for my Shikari Vaan and Knight Balthiar. Took all 3 ninja swords, locked out Yagyu, and locked out Excalibur on the Knight board.

I just got to
Raithwall's Tomb
but I'm wondering if I should restart.

The hunts would be more fun if you didn't have to:

Go to the board in the bar
Find the person who posted it
Talk to them
Find the hunt
Kill it
Return to the person
Talk to them

It's so fucking obtuse.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

Talk to them
Find the hunt
Kill it
Return to the person
Talk to them

It's so fucking obtuse.
Yes, it can get really tiresome.

Also does anyone know the difference between Excalibur and Excalipur? I'm assuming the latter is a joke weapon.

So seitengrat is pretty much figured out.

Has anyone had any luck with the invisible shield (Gendarme) and/or Trango Tower (1H sword)?

Gendarme is figured out. Haven't seen anything for Trango Tower yet.

I've got a rough way to guarantee a Karkata steal, but I've only been able to make it work under specific circumstances.

Aeana

Yes, it can get really tiresome.

Also does anyone know the difference between Excalibur and Excalipur? I'm assuming the latter is a joke weapon.

Excalipur/Excalipoor/Excalipour/all other variations it's had is a joke weapon, yes. It's from FF5 when Gilgamesh thinks he has the ultimate weapon Excalibur but it turns out it's a fake.

Isotropy

I'm really sucked into the game because the gameplay and the world are fun.

But I have major issues with the story. The start till the end of Tomb of Raithwall were solid, like the area around Rabanastre was fully developed. What comes after that is the problem. The rest of the story and worlds have been put on fastforward. The whole Mt. Bur-Omisace section was done pretty quickly and the towns are much smaller compared to Rabanastre and the Sandsea sections.

I guess the first half of the game is strong in terms of content, the rest of the half is streamlined with lack of cutscenes and stories and it's obvious they want the game over with.

I think it's unreasonable to expect another city the size of Rabanastre in the game, though there are two more cities the size of Bhujerba late in the game.. one a bit bigger, actually. And much bigger lore-wise.

SMK

It's always so satisfying beating Trickster. The very first time I played this game, he was such a jerk.

I never fought him before and my god he was an asshole. Also, didn't realize the invincibility also covered quickenings.

Also fought these guys in Zertinan Caverns that made me nope the fuck out of there. I don't remember their names.

Aeana

I never fought him before and my god he was an asshole. Also, didn't realize the invincibility also covered quickenings.

Also fought these guys in Zertinan Caverns that made me nope the fuck out of there. I don't remember their names.

The trick is to use element-neutral magic once his anti-physical barrier goes up. i.e. Drain, bio, balance, etc.

Do you guys recommend farming the Lhusu Mines? I am right now farming that bridge with 4x speed and needless to say within an hour my characters are way beyond where they should be. Does farming here make the game a cakewalk?

thedan001

Gendarme is figured out. Haven't seen anything for Trango Tower yet.

Looks like Gendarme is figured out perfectly too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCGto1qJ8iY&feature=youtu.be

Nice, I was interested in the shield the most out of the 3. It makes the tank and/or healer nigh indestructible, lol.

I've got a rough way to guarantee a Karkata steal, but I've only been able to make it work under specific circumstances.

Do you mind sharing what you came up with? It's interesting stuff.

Ordered the Prima guide, physical version. Read some good things about it and I'm certainly going to appreciate having the bestiary nearby.

Idk if I'm playing this game right. My knowledge of ff is like 15 14 and tactics so can't help but feel like I'm fucking up.

I'm in bhujerba and just got done with the first dungeon in there but was getting beat up pretty hard.

I have vaan as a knight, balthier as a machinist, Fran as an archer, and basch as a bushi.

any decent tips for somebody that is completely blind on this game?
What exactly gave you trouble?

Main tip would be to make to grind--if not for the levels, then at least for the LP. Just a few minutes of running around the Estersand at 2x or 4x times speed and whacking away at wolves can result in enough LP to unlock new licenses.

I would suggest investing in the ones that raise the character's HP, if they're easily accessible (it depends on the job). The first ones are relatively cheap and add a few hundred extra health points when combined, which can make all the difference.

Don't forget to program healing gambits and assign them to the top slot (so that they'll take priority over attacking). Fran has access to Cure regardless of job and the game practically throws potions at you. So use them. For example, during the Bhujerba part, I had Fran cast cure on any ally beneath 70% HP, then had Vaan and Basch use a potion on any ally beneath 50% HP. I had Balthier use First Aid on any ally (which he will only use when someone's HP is critical due to the nature of the skill) as an absolute 'just in case'. With all four characters healing each other, it becomes much harder to die.

About to enter Raithwall's Tomb and haven't unlocked any Quickenings because I'm afraid of picking the wrong ones. Already know every character's 2 classes, so I suppose I'll map that out tomorrow. Ugh.

aadiboy

Talk to them
Find the hunt
Kill it
Return to the person
Talk to them

It's so fucking obtuse.
A lot of little side stories are told through the hunts though. If you go straight from the board to the mark you would lose those stories.

Do you mind sharing what you came up with? It's interesting stuff.

It's basically one-shotting things with Fran up to the Alpha Hyena, If it does Fangs and then a two-hit combo, kill it and you can steal the Kartaka first thing. Like I said, pretty specific.

I'm fairly positive the game can start off with one of a handful of different RNG placements, which is why you aren't guaranteed a Seitengrat chest every time even if you time it perfectly.

When do you run back into the Yensa after defeating the Adamantoise? I remember there being a kinda frightening run in with their Queen, but I got to the tomb without triggering that event.

About to enter Raithwall's Tomb and haven't unlocked any Quickenings because I'm afraid of picking the wrong ones. Already know every character's 2 classes, so I suppose I'll map that out tomorrow. Ugh.
The only Quickenings you really need to worry about are those for Shikari. The other boards don't have much behind their Quickenings but some extra HP or some other small buffs.
Espers are what you really need to be mapping out, and even those are kind of late into the game. The first esper you unlock doesn't gate too much behind it.

TheFatMan

This god damn game is amazing. I'm in love with it and I'm not afraid to admit it lol.

I've been playing completely blind. Just picking my classes as I want them to be, and not worrying about Quickenings and all the other shit everyone else is stressing out over in this thread haha.

I think this game could turn into a chore if I wanted to perfect everything.

Fortunately it's pretty fucking great if you just wing it.

The music...oh man the music is soooo good.

Just beat Mateus. It's been years since I've played the original. As much as I love 4x speed...the game really does play itself. Boss battles are just a matter of mitigating damage/status effects. I'm glad they left the gambits behind in FFXIII.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Why didn't you put the dawn shard on a character that isn't your BLM? it doesn't have to be Ashe that activates the switches.

I'm in Draklor Lab right now, and I love how my characters are set up right now. Putting Sage Ring on my WHM was such a godsend. I can just have protect casting all the time because it's so cheap.

mstevens

About to start and I have a few questions

Thinking about doing this:

Vaan - Breaker/Hunter (Genji glove?)
Ashe - White Mage/Machinist
Basch - Samurai/Knight (Genji glove?)
Penelo - Black Mage/Monk
Balthier - Time Mage/Uhlan
Fran - Red Mage/Archer

I just did some researched and learned about quickenings and espers. Anyone have any insight into which I should take for which character? It's beyond me and I really don't want to mess anything up or miss something cool or great.

I want to play the whole game blind, but I would feel better knowing I'm not missing something really important with the set up.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I just did some researched and learned about quickenings and espers. Anyone have any insight into which I should take for which character? It's beyond me and I really don't want to mess anything up or miss something cool or great.

I want to play the whole game blind, but I would feel better knowing I'm not missing something really important with the set up.

Any setup will work fine, especially if you're using all 6 characters. I'm only using 3, and I'm missing out on a couple things (can't use haste for instance because I don't have a time mage) but it's working just fine for me.

15 hours in and stil not sure if I'm enjoying this or not. Nothing is grabbing me. Just left the tomb of raithwall. I also have 900 LP for most characters and haven't the faintest what I'm supposed to do, how to team my characters, what the hell each job does, and I do feel like I have to spend a lot of time assigning gambits.

I'll get through the next trophy goal of the story and decide then whether to continue. No other Final Fantasy game has stressed me more than it has excited me.

thetrin

This god damn game is amazing. I'm in love with it and I'm not afraid to admit it lol.

I've been playing completely blind. Just picking my classes as I want them to be, and not worrying about Quickenings and all the other shit everyone else is stressing out over in this thread haha.

I think this game could turn into a chore if I wanted to perfect everything.

Fortunately it's pretty fucking great if you just wing it.

The music...oh man the music is soooo good.

Yeah, winging it is actually a perfectly acceptable way to play the game, and it doesn't make it that much harder. I went in with a LITTLE forethought, but I'm playing how I want to and having fun with it.

Syntsui

Is there any reliable list with all the chest items and stealable equipments of the trial mode? There is a messy list on gamefaqs' board but it doesn't state the chest items nor the floor for some of the stealable ones.

traveler

Not Wario
I'm avoiding any type of grinding whatsoever, not doing any of the op weapon exploits, not touching trial mode, and playing fights at 2x speed but the game is super easy. Constantly feel overleveled. Ashe 1 shots packs of mobs with mid tier aoe black magic and Basch is an unstoppable killing machine. Thinking of not doing hunts as I unlock them, but I don't want to have to come back later and do a bunch of no challenge hunts all over the place. Do I need to do any hunts in particular to unlock certain endgame hunts/quests/esper fights?

Top Bottom