• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Confirmed - 2011 In Japan, Winter (Late Dec-March) In The West

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
The O face is really not too obvious, I see Lightning having a super large Japanese cartoon style eye with the other hidden behind her hair though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
StuBurns said:
The O face is really not too obvious, I see Lightning having a super large Japanese cartoon style eye with the other hidden behind her hair though.
Personally, it took me a really long time to not see the O face.

Kalnos

Banned
SomeDude said:
meh, why dont they just remake final fantasy vii? thats what everyone wants.

Fuck yeah, waste more time remaking the same shit they have already made.

I don't really like the direction Square is going, but remakes aren't a good direction either.

Zoe

I'm guessing this game will address the myth. They wouldn't have revealed all that at the event if they weren't planning to use it.

MechaX

Nirolak said:
Personally, it took me a really long time to not see the O face.

Likewise. The O Face was the first thing I noticed and even now I'm having the hardest time trying to un-see.

Some one do a close-up on that face and everybody will see it.

Graphics Horse said:
Yup, took my brain a while to get round that one too. It doesn't help that the eye above it looks like a pair of nostrils.

Reminds me of Pokey from Mother with his hair grown out

I will NEVER be able to look at this logo any other way

Jerk 2.0 said:
I...like this.

In fact, I like it very much.

It's alright, but it kinda has a few contradictions with what we already know about the fal'Cie. Specifically that the fal'Cie can only perform their single Focus and nothing else.

Jerk

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
It's alright, but it kinda has a few contradictions with what we already know about the fal'Cie. Specifically that the fal'Cie can only perform their single Focus and nothing else.

True, but is the lore not mostly for Versus?

Seems like it would fit that world so much more than it would XIII-2's.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
TheJollyCorner said:
Just get Hamauzu back for the music, S-E.

Pay the man. Whatever he wants.
Yes, the most important man at Square.

Zoe

Fimbulvetr said:

I don't really see how it contradicts that.

Fimbulvetr said:
Does VS even have fal'Cie?

It does have l'Cie.

StuBurns

Banned
Nomura said that Versus story was derived from the part of the mythology pertaining to 'slumber', I guess that means the crystal (as we haven't seen it in Versus yet) is a resting God, possibly the one depicted on the painting, that will be used to aid the war effort.

TheJollyCorner said:
Just get Hamauzu back for the music, S-E.

Pay the man. Whatever he wants.
Agreed x a million. FFXIII's soundtrack is the only part of the game with no issues (Sunleth Waterscape and My Hands notwithstanding).

Jerk

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
It's supposed to be the same lore, isn't it?

At this point, I do not feel that there is any reason for them to keep the stories synchronous.

They no longer seem as gung-ho to establish one continuous FNC canon as they previously seemed.

Zoe said:
I don't really see how it contradicts that.

1) l'Cie and fal'Cie have Foci.

2) But, unlike l'Cie, fal'Cie are physically compelled to keep doing their focus. They can't stop doing it. While l'Cie have incentive, they don't necessarily have to do their focus, even though it is in their best interest.

3) Buni's orders were to "open the world, and search for the door to Muin".

4) Pulse's response was to not open the world, but instead expand it. Didn't even bother giving the fal'Cie orders to do it.

Etro randomly appearing on the other side of the door after dieing also makes no sense, as fal'Cie don't have souls/hearts/chaos/whatever that can cross the doorway when they cease. When they die they just stop existing, but Etro seems to double as Goddess of the asspull so whatever.

Zoe said:
It does have l'Cie.

Oh right. I forgot that their powers come directly from Etro(who is officially a fal'Cie now I guess?).

Zoe

Fimbulvetr said:
3) Buni's orders were to "open the world, and search for the door to Muin".

4) Pulse's response was to not open the world, but instead expand it. Didn't even bother giving the fal'Cie orders to do it.

I equated "opening" the world to "expanding" it. By changing the world they may find the door (thinking of the Fal'Cie that endlessly digs tunnels here, for example).

Fimbulvetr said:
Etro randomly appearing on the other side of the door after dieing also makes no sense, as fal'Cie don't have souls/hearts/chaos/whatever that can cross the doorway when they cease. When they die they just stop existing, but Etro seems to double as Goddess of the asspull so whatever.

Where was it said that they stop to exist?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The mythology is something that is supposed rather than concrete.

According to it, Etros doesn't have any power but if you played the original game to end, she actually does. XIII-2 Should reveal much. Hopefully SE fills in the blanks from the first game. It's like you had to read stuff out of the game to even make sense of half of the stuff in it.

MoogPaul

I was really surprised by the launch to be honest. When the site was first registered and the internetz knew of FF13 part deux, I was almost positive we'd get FF Verses Summer Japan/Holiday USA and part deux March 2012 Japan/Summer USA.

colored me surprised.

Zoe said:
I equated "opening" the world to "expanding" it. By changing the world they may find the door (thinking of the Fal'Cie that endlessly digs tunnels here, for example).

Atomos is the only fal'Cie other than that what's-his-face on top of that tower, that's doing anything remotely like searching for the door('cept Atomos only goes in circles, so that's not entirely true :/).

Zoe said:
Where was it said that they stop to exist?

One would assume that lacking a soul means there is nothing left after death.

This story actually expands on what those souls actually are(the chaos mentioned on the other side of the Door of Souls, that Etro gave only to humans).

cosmicblizzard said:
I want to fight every single god/goddess/fal'cie mentioned in this. Calling it now, Buniberzei will be a major antagonist/final boss in one of the FNC games.

He does seem like a total dick for attacking his mom with no motive.

This actually makes Pulse a plausible villain too.

Edit: Holy crap, this is starting to look like a Kingdom Hearts crossover. Actually using the word "hearts" doesn't help.

Zoe

Fimbulvetr said:
One would assume that lacking a soul means there is nothing left after death.

This story actually expands on what those souls actually are(the chaos mentioned on the other side of the Door of Souls, that Etro gave only to humans).

Muin and Etro were able to go to the other world though before Etro ever started handing out souls.

7Th

So, in the end, what the "official" strategy guide said about Linzei and Barthandelus being the same entity was probably true...

dramatis

I'm more confused about how those blundering fal'Cie could make more fal'Cie and l'Cie before Etro slit her wrists and made humans.

Unless you have l'Cie cats and dogs D:

Zoe said:
Muin and Etro were able to go to the other world though before Etro ever started handing out souls.

But:

1) Muin is a goddess.

2) Muin didn't die to get there, she just kinda felt like going I guess.

3) Etro is a fal'Cie.

4) Etro died.

Jerk

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Edit: Holy crap, this is starting to look like a Kingdom Hearts crossover. Actually using the word "hearts" doesn't help.

As previously mentioned, this is all mythology so bullshit is expected.

7Th said:
So, in the end, what the "official" strategy guide said about Linzei and Barthandelus being the same entity was probably true...

Lin being a fal'Cie does remove the plotholes associated with the theory. Possibly brings up others but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Jerk 2.0 said:
As previously mentioned, this is all mythology so bullshit is expected.

But it's supposed to be definitive history.

If it actually happened it no longer counts as myth.

Zoe

Fimbulvetr said:
But:

1) Muin is a goddess.

3) Etro is a fal'Cie.

4) Etro died.

You're saying a fal'Cie doesn't have a soul. And that to continue to exist after "dieing," something needs a soul. But where was that ever stated that soul = afterlife? Your preconceptions don't necessarily apply there.

It does seem possible that there's some way to head to the other world, and it doesn't necessarily involve dieing. I think FFXIII-2 is going to take place there.

7th said:

Not according to Ultimania apparently...

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Lindzei
The Ultimania further reveals that the female figure in Orphan's first form represents Lindzei as Barthandelus envisions it, but differs from Lindzei's actual appearance and is more sinister. This Lindzei figure is depicted with a serpentine tail, fitting as the Pulse legends portray Lindzei as a viper.

Jerk

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
But it's supposed to be definitive history.

If it actually happened it no longer counts as myth.

Well, if the story is mainly going to be used in Versus...

Fimbulvetr said:
But:

1) Muin is a goddess.

3) Etro is a fal'Cie.

4) Etro died.

Perhaps this world operates on the principles of simulacrum: if it looks and sounds like a duck, it probably quacks like one too.

Actually, I would not be surprised if the idea of Etro being some sort of avatar of Muin cropped up in the story.

Yoshiya

So Lindzei constructed cocoon, with the intention of using it's destruction as a way to open the door to Muin. Barthandelus, abandoned by Lindzei, his maker, sees the destruction of Cocoon as a way to bring Lindzei back by completing that task, so so seeks to bring about Cocoon's destruction.

Etro is not dead, as she averted the destruction of Cocoon in the War of Transgression, pitying the humans she had created and imparted with chaos. She is the source of the eidolons, and probably the force who summoned Lightning away to set up the events of XIII-2. My guess at Lightning's task is to stop Lindzei awakening Buniberzei, who will kill Muin and end the world. Perhaps Lindzei learnt the location of the door from Etro, and left to wake Buniberzei from crystal but has not been able to.

Jerk

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Really wish some of these details were actually elaborated upon in FFXIII's immediate narrative.

I try not to think about that too much.

FFXII had a similar issue, but the bestiary handled it much better.

~Kinggi~

Banned
The fiction in FF 13 is so batshit insane and borderline incoherent i just became numb to most of the story after a certain point and lost interest. Such a shame too cause as far as the world and location design goes it was magnificent, they just needed to fill it with some non-shitty stuff.

Jerk 2.0 said:

Indeed. I think these games have some lore that's actually pretty cool, but you'd never know it unless you really dug into it.

That's not me condoning research, but the storylines in these games could have used more things along the lines of this.

Zoe said:
You're saying a fal'Cie doesn't have a soul. And that to continue to exist after "dieing," something needs a soul. But where was that ever stated that soul = afterlife? Your preconceptions don't necessarily apply there.

And what, we should follow your assumption that shit just happens?

Zoe said:
It does seem possible that there's some way to head to the other world, and it doesn't necessarily involve dieing. I think FFXIII-2 is going to take place there.

Yes. It is possible for someone to pass through the Door of Souls to without dieing or having a soul(or not being a god, apparently).

But it requires shit loads of other people to die first. In fact this was the entire point of stopping Bart's plan.

Normally when an individual human dies the door only opens a teeny crack to let their soul through.

The more souls that pass, the wider that crack needs to be to let them though. By killing everyone on cocoon the door of souls would have opened completely. In fact, it does for half a minute in XIII's ending(remember that giant glowing eye shaped thing that appears in the ending? that's the Door of Souls).

Eden_portal_on_the_sky4.png

So unless Etro found beings that already had souls(which is impossible because she's the one responsible for handing out souls in the first place), she should not have been able to get through.

Jerk 2.0 said:

That's probably because the myths in XII were mostly actual myths, not history.

Yoshiya

What I also imagine this means is that the portrait in Versus is not Etro, but Muin. How can Etro also be present in the world of Versus if the mythology is consistent?

Fimbulvetr said:
The more souls that pass the, wider that crack needs to be to let them though. By killing everyone on cocoon the door of souls would have opened completely. In fact, it does for half a minute in XIII's ending(remember that giant glowing eye shaped thing that appears in the ending? that's the Door of Souls).

See I didn't know about this shit, wtf.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
brandonh83 said:
Really wish some of these details were actually elaborated upon in FFXIII's immediate narrative.

They had to rush the game out and it really shows. Many things were left out. Like the crazy chick was supposed to be a playable boss, Titan was supposed to be a boss, etc.

FFXIII would be so much better if development had the chance to leave everything in.

So Lindzeri constructed cocoon, with the intention of using it's destruction as a way to open the door to Muin. Barthandelus, abandoned by Lindzei, his maker, sees the destruction of Cocoon as a way to bring Lindzei back by completing that task, so so seeks to bring abot Cocoon's destruction.

Etro is not dead, as she averted the destruction of Cocoon in the War of Transgression, pitying the humans she had created and imparted with chaos. She is the source of the eidolons, and probably the force who summoned Lightning away to set up the events of XIII-2. My guess at Lightning's task is to stop Lindzei awakening Buniberzei, who will kill Muin and end the world. Perhaps Lindzei learnt the location of the door from Etro, and left to wake Buniberzei from crystal but has not been able to.

This sounds about right.

And
Etro was most likely the one that helped the party at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom