• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Review Thread [Second wave of reviews coming in]

Looking at the updated metacritic... interesting how most of the non-gaming, mainstream outlets were more mixed on the game.

Erm... Where Telegraph and Washington Post were mixed, places like TIME magazine, Vandal, National Post, and Slant are positive. I would say the non-gaming outlets were mostly positive.

I am about to be over with it but damn what a disappointment.

That Resident Evil-esque chapter sums up pretty damn well what's wrong about this whole mess of a game.

Is it really worse than 13 or at least in that ballpark?

Much, much better than XIII. I see it hard to argue the opposite.

Edit: Three out of five stars for the game from NY Daily News. Review was a good read.

It is one of the most wonderfully beautiful games of 2016, with a terrific story and an impactful battle system.

Such issues take away from the things that Final Fantasy does right, from how so many aspects of the game dovetail together to form more than disparate systems and feel like a cohesive game.

Especially early on, the various mechanics in Final Fantasy come together to form a unique whole. This is the first Final Fantasy in which you actually spend money with relative frequency, and it’s satisfying how sleep and leveling up work in concert. It’s when you camp and rest that Ignis cooks, and it’s through dialogue and exploration, that Ignis, who is Noctis’ advisor and assistant, learns new recipes. That cooking then influences the battle system, too; different recipes imbue different buffs that then carry over to the battles of the following day.

It’s an appealing blend, and it at least sets the stage for a potent open world, and a beautiful open world, too. Visually, Final Fantasy XV is a feast, lively and distinct, still maintaining its JRPG roots in its style. The exploratory phases of the game are terrific and relaxing fun, even if the sidequests touch on little new ground.

In the end, only kernels of Final Fantasy’s old style remain in FF XV, which is both liberating and frustrating. The game does indeed chart a new course for the franchise, and it’s a fun new course.

ethomaz

Banned
Which is strange because it was 84, then two 3/5 stars reviews (which reading those reviews the authors thought it was a great game with flaws) and two 9/10 reviews were added and it went down to 82. I am curious how Metacritic weighs its metrics.

Also apparently...Fox News does reviews to?
Way more reviews were added these last two days... Jim give it a 8/10 for example.

And 6 was 2.3 points below avg. while 9 was 0.7 points above average... of course it will go down... it is math... you need a 10 to counter a 6.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If we base everything on Metacritic, then that means FFXIII is just as good as Xenogears lol.

Which is strange because it was 84, then two 3/5 stars reviews (which reading those reviews the authors thought it was a great game with flaws) and two 9/10 reviews were added and it went down to 82. I am curious how Metacritic weighs its metrics.

Also apparently...Fox News does reviews to?

For context, here are some movie/TV scores for Metacritic:

Empire Strikes Back: 80
Captain America: The Winter Soldier: 70
The Avengers: 69
Stranger Things: 76
Doctor Strange: 72
Godfather 2:
Gladiator: 64
Shawshank redemption: 80

Bottom line: metacritic has some serious flaws, and their weighting system is just fucked. Kotaku and Gamasutra have written articles on it.

LordKasual

Banned

This game is objectively better than XIII in just about every area, especially if you're judging XV against its 2016 peers compared to XIII against its 2009 peers. I'd say that XIII was a more polished game, certainly. But that's a meaningless thing when you consider how barren XIII was mechanically as a Final Fantasy or even as an RPG. It's like saying GTA2 is more polished than GTA3. True, but meaningless.

XV's deeper issues are mainly with pacing and what appears to be a story that was rushed / chopped up / condensed too much. The delivery of the plot falters with varying degree across the title, but there's nothing as cheesy or just outright bad as some of the stuff XIII intentionally does, and what's there definitely works as intended. As an added bonus, there is no "Real heroes don't need plans", or "We'll change the future!", or "We live to make the impossible possible!" anime dumbshit present in the writing.

The combat is the most subjective thing. The overall game design is Square Enix typical in emergent depth, easily my favorite FF battle system in the entire series, but it's not without its flaws. The camera can be truly horrible at times, and can ruin some of the game's best moments. But when you get used to the battle system in this game, it just meshes and flows so well, and there is alot of unique content, awesome bosses and just cool stuff to see in the open world. And FFXV's hidden dungeons are simply amazing.

Everything else is just long-running fanbase bias, a dash of that trademark GAF hyperbole, and your typical open-world hangups. I haven't enjoyed a first playthrough of an FF game this much since 7 or 10, and I havent sunk this many hours into an FF game since FF12.

Adaren

Anyone arguing that XIII or XV is objectively better than the other is mad. Both games have significant weaknesses that can single-handedly sour your entire experience. Neither game is anywhere near a position where it can claim complete superiority over the other.

That said, I like XIII more than XV.

This is officially the lowest scoring mainline Final Fantasy huh?

Cackling.

I'm kind of glad about it too, just because it means that every FFXV retrospective thread until the end of time will have people getting into endless circular Metacritic arguments.

The FFXV story might have been lacking in drama, but the FFXV threads will make up for it.

This game is objectively better than XIII in just about every area, especially if you're judging XV against its 2016 peers compared to XIII against its 2009 peers. I'd say that XIII was a more polished game, certainly. But that's a meaningless thing when you consider how barren XIII was mechanically as a Final Fantasy or even as an RPG. It's like saying GTA2 is more polished than GTA3. True, but meaningless.

XV's deeper issues are mainly with pacing and what appears to be a story that was rushed / chopped up / condensed too much. The delivery of the plot falters with varying degree across the title, but there's nothing as cheesy or just outright bad as some of the stuff XIII intentionally does, and what's there definitely works as intended. As an added bonus, there is no "Real heroes don't need plans", or "We'll change the future!", or "We live to make the impossible possible!" anime dumbshit present in the writing.

The combat is the most subjective thing. The overall game design is Square Enix typical in emergent depth, easily my favorite FF battle system in the entire series, but it's not without its flaws. The camera can be truly horrible at times, and can ruin some of the game's best moments. But when you get used to the battle system in this game, it just meshes and flows so well, and there is alot of unique content, awesome bosses and just cool stuff to see in the open world. And FFXV's hidden dungeons are simply amazing.

Everything else is just long-running fanbase bias, a dash of that trademark GAF hyperbole, and your typical open-world hangups. I haven't enjoyed a first playthrough of an FF game this much since 7 or 10, and I havent sunk this many hours into an FF game since FF12.

Encapsulates how I feel about XV very well. Thanks!

I remember when I bought XIII, I played it for 15 hours and then sold it. People told me I didn't give it a chance so I re-bought it and played it up until the 25 hour mark and got to the big bowl area and stopped and sold it again.People still told me I didn't give it a chance so I re-bought it and beat it. Stated I still didn't like it and people told me I just didn't have taste and didn't give the game a fair shot.

And that was the last day I posted on the IGN boards.

ZeroX03

Banned

Eh people saying XV is way better are stretching. Game is full of problems. It's in no way the polished product that XIII is and the individual elements that make up that game all have serious problems.

However as a whole it somehow manages to be more fun and satisfying than XIII. In many ways it's the antithesis of the XIII. It'll have an interesting legacy, especially outside of the honeymoon period.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Every FF is good and has flaws

Except for II which sucks ass

FF13 better confirmed, thanks Famitsu

Final Fantasy XIII - 39

40/40 vengeance for FFXII, ahhhahahahaha. Famitsu knows what's up.

....seriously, I dearly love me some XII (immensely, desperately so), but it's definitely got a lot more issues than the the solid all-rounders from the VI-X bracket. Was it around the FFXII era that Famitsu became a bit more generous with its scores? It's just a bit odd seeing XII/XIII/XV scoring higher than FF-bloody-VI!

Every good thing about XV is arguable except maybe the world itself (excluding cities) and the graphics. I didn't go with particularly high expectations but some things I found especially disappointing. Mainly the plot and the battle system. The battle system doesn't afford the tactical opportunities that you'd get from a turn based strategy nor the precision required for a well made action game. It's a strange middle ground and combined with the camera can lead to some very sloppy encounters. That said it can seem very good at times but then the points of failure appear and you're chain-chugging potions because you can't see what the hell is going on. The ability to use items whenever really screwed with the balancing. There are a lot of attacks that just down you instantly which would usually suck but here you can just drink a potion and you're back on your feet. There was one boss encounter that was several levels higher than the area it took place in and the whole fight involved nibbling at it's HP and then using Gladio's technique for invincibility and chugging potions. I should not have been able to do that and playing like that at all isn't fun to me.

I'd describe the combat system as haphazardly good.

icespide

Banned
I finished it last night.

I was really high on the game in the first half but once I hit chapter 9 everything went down hill. The rest of the game was just unfinished disjointed random story sequences that barely made any sense stitched together with gameplay segments of walking through linear corridors.

I would have been fine with all of the linearity if the story made any god damn sense. At this point it's probably my least favorite final fantasy

Zakalwe

Banned
Eh people saying XV is way better are stretching. Game is full of problems. It's in no way the polished product that XIII is and the individual elements that make up that game all have serious problems.

However as a whole it somehow manages to be more fun and satisfying than XIII. In many ways it's the antithesis of the XIII. It'll have an interesting legacy, especially outside of the honeymoon period.

Technically maybe 13 is superior overall, but I'd still call XV "way better".

Better characters, world, lore, aesthetic, gameplay, and while 13 had a more coherent story it certainly didn't have a better one - it was just as bad, but in different ways.

I did enjoy 13 though, the battle system, visuals, and music were all great.

Ishida

Banned

Better characters, world, lore, aesthetic, gameplay, and while 13 had a more coherent story it certainly didn't have a better one - it was just as bad, but in different ways.

XIII didn't have a more coherent story, though. That game also suffered deeply from poor narrative.

icespide

Banned
XIII didn't have a more coherent story, though. That game also suffered deeply from poor narrative.

I have to disagree there, I'm not gonna argue that 13's story was amazing or anything but I definitely think it at least was more coherent than 15

I...disagree.

Top Bottom