• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 on Steam - Dec 11 (1080p/60fps, dual language, includes DLC)

Well, at least XIII-2 isn't 60 GB.

Is this a good game? Looking for an un-biased opinion since I know people have very mixed opinions about this trilogy.

TheTux

Is this a good game? Looking for an un-biased opinion since I know people have very mixed opinions about this trilogy.

Some say it's better than XIII.

In my opinion XIII > XIII-2 > LR

XIII-2 has a pretty nice story with a great antagonist but you only have 2 characters (the 3rd party member during fights is a monster) and also no eidolons.

Soundtrack is great just as XIII (some people consider it better, some consider it worse). Graphic is still pretty good, maybe not as good as XIII but still good.

Time traveling can be fun at times but in the end there are few areas and all the areas are closed, some people loved this but in my opinion XIII's corridors/Gran Pulse were much better.

Have you played XIII? What did you liked and hated about it?

leazo

Banned
Preordering even if it has the same issues as XIII, got around 45 hours in total out of the PC release which is totally worth it for me for 14 euros.

I like it a lot. The story was, to me, really confusing, but pretty much everything else was great. The soundtrack is really weird, but in a good way. Battle system is really fun, similar to XIII but felt a bit faster. The non-corridor areas were a breath of fresh air (although some places were annoying for entirely different reasons). I generally prefer it to XIII.

It's (sadly) the closest thing Square Enix will ever make to a Chrono Trigger 3.

I guess that doesn't really answer your question though... If I had to put it on a scale of final fantasy games with FF6 being the highest and FF13 being the lowest... I'd put it at Final Fantasy 3 (Japan).

If that still doesn't answer your question, it's about on 8.3 on an IGN scale.

Thoraxes

I liked the characters (Serah was way better than Lightning or Snow and had more convincing convictions than either of them, Noel was cool and his story seemed genuine, Caius was a decent villain) and the new gameplay systems (some exploration for once, getting the jump on enemies, Pokemon, different outcomes of same locations during different time periods, time paradoxes, etc.) they added. The time travel stuff was well done. The story starts out simple but the ending gets convoluted if you aren't paying attention, and requires some thinking outside the box. The minor battle system improvements were nice too.

I also just like Serah the best.

If you aren't too worried about story details or coherency in your JRPG plots, 13-2 is magnificent. It was my favorite JRPG of the past few years up until I finished Xenoblade and Persona 4 Golden earlier this year.

The soundtrack is excellent (and even if you find a track you hate, a vastly different one is right around the corner), the battle system is mostly what it should have been in XIII, and the DLC Arena fights are some of the best boss fights in the entire XIII series. Caius is a great villain and Noel is a protagonist you'll actually enjoy (Just ignore Serah :p).

It's significantly more entertaining than XIII. I need to go back and platinum it on PS3 still though...

XIII-2 is at its best when it's time travel Scooby Doo and its worst when it's tackling the main plot.

I did 1000/1000 that game, though, so I pretty clearly liked it.

Damerman

I cant play vgames till after december 6 so... Its nice that they are going to fix ffxiii by then. Also i will buy this and lightning returns. Hopefully we can mod out the 13 days nonsense so that we can fully explore. Cant wait.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
XIII-2 is worth it just for the Arena introductory cutscene.

Serious talk though, it's a great game. Despite a few eye-rollers here and there, the story is somewhat solid, mostly mired by wonky presentation, but when you get down to it, it's actually quite a bit more straightforward than the one in XIII. I mean really, some movies get away with more plotholes than this. Meanwhile, characters are much improved, Lightning is almost not seen, Hope got way better, Serah and Noel's goals and motivations are simple and relatable, both are quite levelheaded and dare I say there's a bit more chemistry between them than in the entirety of the XIII cast? There's a bit more light-heartedness where it counts, probably because Lightning the Fun Vacuum isn't around. The entire dream sequence in the latter half of the game is actually genuinely well-written material and a highlight of the scenario. Also, Caius. Caius is a great villain. Comes with his own musical theme too, and what a theme. Most would agree Noel-Caius-Yeul substory is a high point of the trilogy. Watch these guys, it won't take SE long to butcher them to pieces as soon as the opening chapter of the next damn game. Soundtrack, while eclectic, is excellent and memorable, and regardless of how you feel about Crazy Chocobo, there's probably gonna be at least a few tracks for you. Time-travelling amounts to picking destinations from a menu, and it's not as open-ended as it could've been, but there's choice, and each area has enough diversity behind it to be remembered for something special. Monster hunting is almost universally agreed to be a good concept, and the game has a great speedrunning potential largely thanks to that system. There's minigames too, though they can be frustrating at times. Yes, areas are reused at times but that Academia though, can't wait to see that in decent image quality. System-wise it streamlined a lot of bad ideas from 13. Mog clock is a much easier to process concept than "sneak from behind on the enemy only 90% of the time it sees you approaching anyway at the last moment like it should"; ridiculously abstract upgrading system is practically gone; there's no punishment in form of long ass paradigm swap animation for screwing up the fickle switch timing and you get access to more roles and larger ATB bar so much earlier. Yes, it's on the easy side, but there's good potential for low-level runs and the arena DLC offers quite a challenge - I still haven't killed the last few encounters. The finale boss marathon was a gaming highlight of the last year for me.

I only wish this game was actually a standalone offering and not something that hangs between two lightnings awkwardly. I think the reception might've been a bit better then, as well.

FFP2

This better have all the DLC, not just a "range". My biggest problem was the amount of DLC 13-2 has. Especially the Collusiem BS.

This better have all the DLC, not just a "range". My biggest problem was the amount of DLC 13-2 has. Especially the Collusiem BS.

We're apparently getting everything that is not the licensed stuff. There's like, an Ezio costume and other stuff like that, they probably won't be bringing those to PC. The rest is most likely there, don't worry.

I liked it, I view the game as a modern Chrono Trigger, the time travel mechanic is great. In fact I would bet that at one point the game *was* going to be a Chrono Trigger game but then they decided to put it in the FFXIII world to get more use out of FFXIII marketing, art style, and combat system.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like they're not including the costume that was designed by the idol. That was a good costume.

The great thing about the story DLC is that I can use characters instead of monsters for my 3rd party member. And I can give Serah a decent outfit(White Mage)

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I guess LR will have Tomb Raider costume removed then? Though both are SE now.

I wonder about save connectivity. Both sequels had extras for playing previous installments and even the demo version.

Bittercup

But the Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed costumes are no more :(
That's disappointing :( The Assassin's Creed outfit looked great.
The only time I bought a DLC-outfit (when it was on sale)
amarec20130204-153111x7khq.png

HyperOne

Banned
So this is the best of the XIII saga, right?

Isn't saying very much. The XIII saga was god awful. The story for 13-2 is atrocious by any measure, and the lack of switchable party members (minus monsters) really dampens what little decision making existed in the combat.

Kazdane

Isn't saying very much. The XIII saga was god awful. The story for 13-2 is atrocious by any measure, and the lack of switchable party members (minus monsters) really dampens what little decision making existed in the combat.

The story is atrocious? Seriously? It has one of the best villains of the entire franchise. It's also much easier to follow than the XIII story as they didn't hide so much lore in the datalog. Sure, whenever time travel is involved stories tend to be more confusing, but XIII-2 actually manages to get through it in a fairly acceptable fashion.

The combat system is pretty much like in XIII, with Haste being removed (except as a short timed buff at the beginning of the battle if you ambush your opponent) and limiting your available roles for paradigms as you can only have 3 monsters (and each monster has only one role available). Other than that, the combat is actually more involved than XIII because you don't have to handle just paradigm shifting, but also perform the special monster abilities (think of them like some kind of limit break abilities).

The end-game is also more varied, there are minigames and all the coliseum DLC content.

Famassu

Caius is a pretty fun villain and Noel is probably one of Toriyama's better protagonists ever + the ending was ballsy for a game like FF. It still has lots of that iffy Toriyama storytelling, but there are actually some good moments in the game.

And I don't see how the Pokemon are supposed to limit decision making for XIII-2's combat. If anything FFXIII-2 has far more choice than XIII ever did partly thanks to there being a lot of monsters to choose from & all the Pokemon-development/breeding stuff.

The game's available for pre-load now (got my GMG code yesterday but wasn't available for preload). Is there gonna be an OT or is this another The Crew situation?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Most curious to see what the patch for FF 13 has in store. That was an interesting experience getting that thing to my liking. Also if 13-2 adopted the same changes.

I found the story about Caius, Yuel, and Noel to be pretty good on an emotional level. And the idea of the last man alive trying to travel through time to stop the moment where the world started to end resonated well with me. It got a bit convoluted towards the end, but I thought there were some good elements in the story.

Mabufu

Banned
I enjoyed XIII-2 a lot more than XIII.

Plot is interesting and understanable, Noel and Serah are good main characters and the game had some good memorable moments.

Also, City of Academia < 333

I will platinum the game now on PC.

Kanann

Caius is not a good villian in my opinion, He's so forgetable one

The game is good, easy to collect achievements too (Platinum trophy at 75 hours)

Kazdane

I enjoyed XIII-2 a lot more than XIII.

Plot is interesting and understanable, Noel and Serah are good main characters and the game had some good memorable moments.

Also, City of Academia < 333

I will platinum the game now on PC.

I really want to see Academia on my PC at 1080p. The framerate in the X360 there was rather bad as far as I remember.

I thought that I would have finished Final Fantasy XIII on Steam by now... but I have so many other games... and I got tired of how linear. I will finish it though, I use my PC a lot more than my PlayStation 3.

I actually haven't bought Final Fantasy XIII-2. But I heard it was better than Final Fantasy XIII and less linear, so that's good.

I guess... I guess this is kind of actually the first game on Steam that Wolf Team has worked on? It was worked on by Tri-Ace kind of, wasn't it? That's neat, I love Wolf Team, and even if I'm not a big fan of Final Fantasy XIII, I'm really happy and it's really neat that there's something that Wolf Team worked on on Steam.

I'm a big big big Wolf Team fan, they're one of my favourite developers ever. Both tri-Ace and Namco Tales Studio. So having something from them on Steam is kind of like the start of a dream come true. I love almost everything Wolf Team makes. And I go wherever Wolf Team goes.

I'm surprised I didn't buy this already, even though tri-Ace made part of it. I was really disappointed by Final Fantasy XIII. And I didn't finish the plot of Final Fantasy XIII, so I didn't buy the sequels...

I will buy this though, but I won't play it just yet. I have a lot of other games to finish.

Zafir

I think if the linearity really bothered you then you'll probably find XIII-2 to be better. Story is arguable, depends how much you tolerate the time travel bullshit.

I was never bothered about the linearity too much so I actually felt XIII-2 was worse. I tried to play through it doing only the critical path(Didn't care enough about the characters or story to do anything else) and it ended up being messy later on for me because of the structure. I'm glad they ditched that structure for lightning returns in all honesty. Not that LR was that great either.

Top Bottom