• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 PC |OT| So you think you can ride this Chocobo!

LuuKyK

xVXfGCv.png

Developer: Square-Enix
Platform: PC (Steam)
Release Date: 12/11/2014
Price: $15,99
Genre: RPG

zqacPhs.png

As a result of Cocoon's fall at the end of Final Fantasy XIII, some of its surviving citizens now reside on Gran Pulse, and the world has adopted a new dating system ("AF" or "After the Fall"). In the three years since, new towns and cities have been established. While searching for Lightning, her sister Serah and the her new unknown friend Noel travel to old and new places on Pulse and Cocoon.

As they travel through time, some locations from Final Fantasy XIII change in appearance. Eden is no longer the capital and the Sanctum is no more. The city of Academia is the new capital, and the new provisional government is run by the Academy, a scientific expedition group wishing to use human technology to build a world that doesn't rely on the fal'Cie.

There is also a mysterious new world called Valhalla, the realm of death and chaos at the edge of time in the distant future, ruled by the goddess Etro.

For those unfamiliar with who Etro is, or with the Fabula Nova Crystallis lore overall, I highly recommend watching this video before playing the game.

Also, it you are interested in what takes place before and after Final Fantasy XIII, search for translations of the two official novels Square-Enix launched, called Episode 0 and Episode i.

bIU2eGf.png

Serah Farron - The main protagonist of the game. She is Lightning's younger sister, Snow's fiancée, and the only one out of her friends that still believes Lightning is alive. Gaining the ability to have visions of the future, Serah journeys with Noel to find and save her sister. Her weapon is a bow that can transform into a sword, though its true form is that of her moogle companion Mog.

Noel Kreiss - The deuteragonist of the game. Noel comes from a future where he is the last surviving human in a world that faced destruction 200 years after Cocoon's fall. After a chance encounter with Lightning, he travels into the past to find her sister, Serah. He sets off with her to save Lightning in the hopes of changing the future. He uses two swords that are able to combine to form a spear in battle.

Lightning - Even though she is not playable, she serves as the narrator of the game. Having been attacked by the emerging chaos and subsequently taken to Valhalla, Lightning is no longer believed to be alive by anyone except Serah. In reality, she has become a knight, protecting the goddess Etro in Valhalla while warring with Caius. She wields a new gunblade resembling a combination of her Blazefire Saber and a traditional sword.

Snow Villiers - Snow left to search for Lightning two years after her disappearance, but is nowhere to be found at the time Serah sets out on her own search.

Hope Estheim - Hope is a 24-year-old young man, and the leader of the Academy, researching the world's history and looking for a new energy source for Cocoon in the absence of the fal'Cie. He is aware of Noel and Serah's travels through time because of his research, and helps them in their search for Lightning. He wants to change history in order to improve the world and bring back the people dear to him.

Caius Ballad - The immortal guardian of the seeress Yeul, and an ominous figure who follows Noel and Serah on their journey through time. He seeks to save Yeul from her cursed fate by killing Etro and destroying all of time itself. Caius is of equal strength to Lightning, and fights against her as she tries to protect the dying goddess, as well as Serah and Noel. Caius has the ability to harness his inner chaos to transform into the entity Chaos Bahamut.

Bq63WdG.png

Historia Crux - Serah and Noel travel through time with a device called Historia Crux, its like a place where every timeline exists, so you can visit both the past and the future going through different gates. Also, some places might be visited during different timelines, which changes the way they look, and the monsters and characters you might.

Monster Capture - The pokémon aspect of the game. Three characters are used in combat—the two main characters and a monster. Monsters must be captured from battles before they can be used, and there are around 150 different monster types available to be collected. Captured monsters act just like the main characters, but can also perform a "feral link" attack that increases the chance of capturing another monster and have specific effects on the battle. Either of the two main characters can be selected as the one that the player has direct control over at any point; the other character and the monster are then controlled by the game's AI. By the way, this time, if the party leader dies its not game over, like in XIII.

Save Points Are No More - You can now save at any time be going to the main menu screen.

Paradigm Shift 2.0 - The battle system got a new look, but its still pretty much the same (which includes the stagger system and the same character roles). It did receive very important improvements though, the most important one being that it no longer takes time for you to change your paradigms, which means the changing animation from XIII is gone, making the battles much faster and dynamic.

Crystarium 2.0 - The Crystarium is a leveling and growth system, making a return from Final Fantasy XIII in an altered form. The system consists of constellation-style representations of the character's weapons and tamed monsters, made up of small and large crystal nodes, which can be accessed from the start of the game. There is one Crystarium system available for each monster and Paradigm role. Crystogen points gained in battle can be used to expand the Crystarium, unlocking bonuses to health, magic, or strength, or provide the characters with new abilities and slots for battle accessories. For the monsters, the bonuses are unlocked with items dropped by defeated enemies.

Moogle Clock - Monsters do not freely roam the map like in Final Fantasy XIII, but instead, they randomly appear as in the earlier Final Fantasy games. For a limited time after monsters appear, the player may attack them to gain a combat bonus (moogle clock green); if its yellow, the battle starts with normal parameters, and if too much time passes before combat begins, the player cannot restart the fight during combat (moogle clock red). When the battle begins, the screen transitions from the regular map to a separate battle screen as in XIII.

Moogle Throw - You can throw your moogle for it to get treasures you wouldn't reach otherwise.

Cinematic Actions - During some fights, players are put through quick time events (QTEs) that allows them to deal higher damage to foes and/or end certain battles.

Live Trigger System - When talking to characters, the game sometimes begins the Live Trigger system, in which the player chooses their response from several options; these dialogue options are generally not repeatable.

Mini Games - There are multiple mini games in XIII-2 like the Temporal Rift in which the player must complete different puzzles to close the rift and continue on. There is also a city in the game that let you play various games like Slots and Chocobo racing.

f18W31r.png

- The Steam version of the game includes a range of the downloadable content from the original version, which includes: new opponents for the Coliseum (Omega, Lightning & Amodar, Jihl Nabaat, Ultros & Typhon, PuPu, and Gilgamesh), new outfits for Serah (Summoner's Garb, Beachwear, and White Mage), new outfits for Noel (Battle Attire, Spacetime Guardian, and Black Mage), outfits for Mog (A Wondrous Wardrobe), and new chapters that focus on specific characters (Sazh: Heads or Tails?, Lightning: Requiem of the Goddess, and Snow: Perpetual Battlefield).

- The choice for either English or Japanese voiceovers.

- 60 frames-per-second.

- Customizeable rendering resolution (720p, 1080p, and more).

u0jtTdU.png

- The game's incredible music was composed by Masashi Hamauzu, Naoshi Mizuta, and Mitsuto Suzuki. You can check out previews for all the 4 CD's in the official website for the OST.

- You can also check a collection of reviews from the console release of the game on its metacritic page.

- The official trailer for the Steam release of Final Fantasy XIII-2 can be found here.

- Check out the official steam page for the game for more info and updates on future patches.

- The system requirements are:

MINIMUM:
Processor: 2GHz Dual Core CPU
Memory: 1500 MB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® Geforce® 8 Series/ ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 series VRAM 256MB or later
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 30 GB available space
Sound Card: Sound card compatible with DirectX® 9.0c
Additional Notes:
*Please be aware that save data processing may take longer than usual while SteamCloud is active, due to synchronisation with the server.

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad (2.66 GHz)/ AMD Phenom™ II X4 (2.8 GHz) processor
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® Geforce® GTX™ 460/ ATI Radeon™ HD 5870
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 30 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 11 compatible sound card
Additional Notes:
*Maximum supported frame rate: 60fps
*Graphic Options
*Screen Resolution Options
*A game controller using Xinput is recomended for this game. (If using a DirectInput based controller, please use the driver side key configuration to adjust settings as required).

Enjoy the
chocobo
ride! ~

A thread by LuuKyK and Yoshichan.

mog_1.png

This will be my first time playing it. Curious how it turned out, liked the systems in FF XIII but the overall game was meh.

OT layout is weird.

LuuKyK

Thanks guys. It was kinda rushed because both me and Yoshi were kinda lacking free time these last days, so its fairly simple, but should have all the necessary info.

Oh and btw, I am aware this is unreadable on mobile. Working on a readable version. Will try to post in the next few days.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Your OT is formatted weirdly so that the words are all bunched together..its strange.

Anywho....even though the game is garbage, i still want to see some 1080p60fps footage. It'll be strange seeing a game that isn't constantly in the low 20s to teens frameratewise

K.Sabot

I thought this was made for mobile before seeing that it's apparently unreadable on mobile haha.

Will buy this, want to play this again.

Even though I don't think it's as polished a game as XIII I still got a lot of enjoyment from the game. Collecting monsters was really fun. Mass Effect costumes were the best....as well as Serah in bikini.

K.Sabot

is this game better than FF XIII?

I'm of the opinion that it's vastly better. The monster capture type system is a very compelling gameplay hook, the story is nonsense but Noel has some good writing and voice acting, the music is amazing, the battles are better, better antagonist, some great atmosphere in some of the later areas.

UnrealEck

I wonder if it'll actually be 60 FPS this time, or if it'll be 60 FPS as long as there's no floating combat text being displayed.

z1ggy

There´s something wrong with Snows hair in this game.

Also, this game is way better than the original FF XIII and it's a pretty good jrpg.

That music.

Graphically it's worse. But it certainly isn't ugly like much of Lightning Returns. Satisfying challenge from XIII is thrown out the window and you have to limit yourself to find challenge outside of most fights and endgame stuff. Last boss is INCREDIBLE tho. It's a damn fun game to play through, and there is tons of stuff to collect. Soundtrack is fun but not as cohesive as XIII. It's tonally all over the place.

I think it's worse. Certainly not bad though considering I played through it like 5 times.

Kanokare

I bought the game and the only thing I'll end up doing is standing on New Bodhum's beach so I always remember the sound of the ocean waves breaking alone time after time. This will also be Steam broadcasted :|

Also, price might need to be adjusted on the OT. Maybe include local prices. Yeul is also a pretty important character so include that too :D

Seda

Generally speaking, I find the game offers a higher amount of player agency (due to monster collecting / variable party makeup, various pathways, additional objectives to take on) at the expense of overall performance and challenge.

LuuKyK

Yeah, the game is way easier to beat and platinum.

They did kill the purpose of some paradigms/roles with that. But aside from this change, the battles are way more fluid imo.

Looking forward to this release. Hopefully the port'll be less disappointing than XIII performance-wise. XIII had random framedrops even on my okayish rig which should be demolishing the game.

Still waiting for those native resolution options in XIII, Squeenix.

Kanokare

Looking forward to this release. Hopefully the port'll be less disappointing than XIII performance-wise. XIII had random framedrops even on my okayish rig which should be demolishing the game.

Should be coming very soon! Please be excited.

I'm sure many will disagree, but I think XIII-2 has one of the best endings I have seen in a videogame. It was ballsy as hell.

I agree because
Caius got shit done. That's what you call a villain.

rybrad

They are supposed to be patching XIII tomorrow.

Whogie

Easily my favorite from the trilogy. Love the soundtrack too.
Seems there's no Genji bow DLC this time around. Darn.

HeelPower

Oh my...beautiful looking OT.

Well done guys.

Keep the screenshots coming once the game comes my fellow High End PCers! :p

Nice OT, congrats \o/

I'll hopefully start playing this soon, next week I should go back to XIII.

Hopefully this one performs better on my shitty laptop as well =P

Thoraxes

I look forward to this greatly. I'm all pre-loaded too!

Serah is the best and the cutest and we get the bikini and white mage outfit!

It's going to be nice to play it with much better performance. 4k 60fps, hell yes.

Kanokare

This is going to be so much nicer without the load times.

:) followed straight by https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgBrITRlaMU

The aggressive mixes are really good. I wish I could hear it more in-game too but it only plays before mob encounters. Thankful someone uploaded all the tracks to Youtube :)

For everyone that are preloading and barely have any HDD space remember that you need 2x the space of the preload so it can unload.

What time is this unlocking?

9 AM PST it looks.

_woLf

Hnngh, I want to play this so badly but can't afford it right now, and then all the 25% off preorder discounts will be gone. :(

I hope it runs well...maybe it'll go on sale during the Steam Holiday sale.

Top Bottom