• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 PC |OT| So you think you can ride this Chocobo!

TheTux

Cross posting from Steam thread, figured this thread might have people who want to know about this as well.

Someone wrote a little injector that fixes the Xbone controller issues in Final Fantasy XIII-2 (and XIII according to readme), and it also has the framepacing removal in it. Both optional if you only want to use one or the other since the framepacer removal can cause some issues apparently.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/292140/discussions/0/487877107138721625/

Briefly tested the xboner fix and it worked great.

It may work with even more games, from the Steam thread:
With the Xbox 360 controller LT and RT are mapped to a single parameter: DIJOYSTATE::lZ. However, with the Xbox One wireless controller the triggers are mapped separately to DIJOYSTATE::lZ and DIJOYSTATE::lRz. I wrote the fix as follows:

joystate->lZ = (BYTE)(128 + (joystate->lZ / 255.0)*127.0 - (joystate->lRz / 255.0)*128.0);

Unfortunately if the fix is not applied the default state would be for lZ to have the value 0. This would correspond to RT being pressed. This seems to lead to trouble.

Parsnip

It may work with even more games, from the Steam thread:

The method probably works, but I'm guessing the injector itself only detects these two games.

It doesn't seem overly complicated though, I wonder if someone knowledgeable could add the functionality to a more generic tool like GeDoSaTo for example.

Mr. RHC

Finally got my hands
pun intended
on Final Fantasy XIII-2. :D

I'm a few hours in and what was true for XIII is true for this game. Hamauzu's excellent soundtrack elevates the game quite a bit from the start. Graphics are just right and gameplay is intuitive and running smoothly.

The biggest surprise so far seems to be how Serah and Noel make for a likeable duo with meaningful dialogue. I also like the dialogue options and the many NPCs. Like, this game is crowded like hell.

The cats in New Bodhum are scarycute.

YqI6ASr.jpg

Fou-Lu

Why does this game run so awfully? I've tried every 'fix' I could find on the internet but nothing works. It stutters a lot, it lags, it goes randomly blurry, it crashes if I try to play in fullscreen. The first game played perfectly fine for me from beginning to end.

Fou-Lu

Sweet, now it has also started randomly freezing with the music still playing. Even better.

I don't understand how I can get six hours in, finish an area, then wander around that same area the next day and suddenly get freezing.

Levyne

Banned
Yea, XIII never ran "great" for me but I was at least able to get 60ish fps most of the time at 1080p (on a 780 at the time). XIII-2 was just a giant random framerate swingset.

Parsnip

Why does this game run so awfully? I've tried every 'fix' I could find on the internet but nothing works. It stutters a lot, it lags, it goes randomly blurry, it crashes if I try to play in fullscreen. The first game played perfectly fine for me from beginning to end.

Sweet, now it has also started randomly freezing with the music still playing. Even better.

Never heard of these types of troubles with this one.

Was checking out this thread to see if there was any mention of a fix, guess that never happened.
Of course the one game in the trilogy I actually like had to have the worst port.
Guess I'm never going back to it, shouldn't have sold the PS3 version.

Parsnip

For me personally I just locked it down to 30, bumped the resolution up and it was mostly smooth sailing from there.

Tested out the trick to remove the broken framepacer, but that was just asking for more trouble in the end. Had a few crashes here and there mostly when either loading to or from historia crux.

jose1

I know this is pretty late, but for anyone reading this thread wondering about these posts:

Unfortunately, this is just how this port is. Tons of frame rate drops everywhere, no matter how strong your pc is. The crashing is not normal though. Read below:

I don't understand how I can get six hours in, finish an area, then wander around that same area the next day and suddenly get freezing.

I had this issue as well for a while where I got a ton of crashing everywhere. It is caused by the framerate unlocker mod. I feel that it corrupts something once in a while, and is fixed by deleting the modified exe file and replacing it with your archived original, then modifying the new original file again.

ezodagrom

Unfortunately, this is just how this port is. Tons of frame rate drops everywhere, no matter how strong your pc is.
From what I've seen in the steam community hub for both ff13 and 13-2, seems like people with overclocked intel CPUs (someone mentioned getting 55~60fps on 13-2 with a 4.4GHz i7 5820k for example) are getting little to no performance problems, seems like both games are very dependent on single core performance.

Blitzhex

I'm getting 55-60 fps, mostly 60, but it does fluctuate very often randomly or when there's lots of npcs around.
GPU usage is low around 30% usage. Getting the same fps at 1080p, 1440p and 2160p with only gpu usage going up 10% with each resolution increment. Core0 has very high usage and other's aren't being used much. Pretty cpu limited atm. 4.5ghz 4690k and 980ti@1400.

Had to turn off the frame pacer and force real fullscreen mode through registry just to get gsync working. Pretty bad port, but it works ok after googling and trying to fix stuff for an hour.

For some reason both FF13 and 13-2 don't work properly at 2560x1440.

Yeah, anything that's an exact multiple of 720p will look bad if I remember right. Something like that. I think I ended up playing at 1620p.

Got it, going to stick to 2160p.

Top Bottom