• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 PC |OT| So you think you can ride this Chocobo!

Corpekata

Banned
Are fans looking into their own performance patch fix? There's this thread on Steam forums that's getting huge

http://steamcommunity.com/app/292140/discussions/0/620700960921348748/

Just tried the hex editing and huh, it kinda works. No more arbitrary 30 FPS caps in random circumstances.

It does feel slow anytime it is below 60 FPS, but feels better than the fluctuating framerate before. Hopefully we see some movement toward remedying the slowdown. With the random 30 FPS caps during hectic moments I could see drops into the 20s, now since that cap is no longer in place it's usually around 60 and dipping into the 40s during hectic stuff.

TheTux

Just tried the hex editing and huh, it kinda works. No more arbitrary 30 FPS caps in random circumstances.

It does feel slow anytime it is below 60 FPS, but feels better than the fluctuating framerate before. Hopefully we see some movement toward remedying the slowdown. With the random 30 FPS caps during hectic moments I could see drops into the 20s, now since that cap is no longer in place it's usually around 60 and dipping into the 40s during hectic stuff.

Is it possible to do something like that with XIII? To find the same instruction and NOP it? I suck with Hex Editors and Cheat Engine :(

ffxiii2img.exe+802828 - 1B 4E 4C - sbb ecx,[esi+4C]

Parsnip

Well I got curious too and tested it out a bit. Here's a clippy from the tutorial battle.
The audio hitches you hear occasionally in the video do not happen normally, only with the edited executable. Don't know what is up with that, maybe it's the engine trying to stay in sync with itself or something.
Left is unedited, right is edited executable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuFtC9wP2oQ

The same 1B 4E 4C values exists in 13 as well, but I don't have a good place to test them since I haven't started the game. The tutorial in that one is rock solid 60fps already.

TheTux

Well I got curious too and tested it out a bit. Here's a clippy from the tutorial battle.
The audio hitches you hear occasionally in the video do not happen normally, only with the edited executable. Don't know what is up with that, maybe it's the engine trying to stay in sync with itself or something.
Left is unedited, right is edited executable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuFtC9wP2oQ

The same 1B 4E 4C values exists in 13 as well, but I don't have a good place to test them since I haven't started the game. The tutorial in that one is rock solid 60fps already.
Someone tried editing XIII's executable and said that the game won't even start.

heringer

Bought this on the Steam sale. Turns out the game stutters every 1-2 seconds. Apparently it turns back to normal if I unplug my mouse and keyboard.

To my shock though, I discovered that I need the keyboard and mouse to play the game. Madness!

Is this a known issue? Any way to solve it?

From the little I played, it looks beautiful for a last gen game.

brau

Bought this on the Steam sale. Turns out the game stutters every 1-2 seconds. Apparently it turns back to normal if I unplug my mouse and keyboard.

To my shock though, I discovered that I need the keyboard and mouse to play the game. Madness!

Is this a known issue? Any way to solve it?

From the little I played, it looks beautiful for a last gen game.

So you want to play with a controller, but need to play with the mouse and keyboard?

I tested my version with my xbox controller plugged in and it worked just fine.

Do you have any more details?

heringer

So you want to play with a controller, but need to play with the mouse and keyboard?

I tested my version with my xbox controller plugged in and it worked just fine.

Do you have any more details?

I don't have a controller. I want to play with mouse and keyboard. The thing about not being able to play without keyboard and mouse was a joke.

The game stutters badly, bud if I unplug the keyboard and mouse it's fine. I've read that the game keeps searching for a controller plugged in, hence the stutters, but I'm not sure that makes sense.

brau

I don't have a controller. I want to play with mouse and keyboard. The thing about not being able to play without keyboard and mouse was a joke.

The game stutters badly, bud if I unplug the keyboard and mouse it's fine. I've read that the game keeps searching for a controller plugged in, hence the stutters, but I'm not sure that makes sense.

Ok. that makes much more sense. do you have a controller plugged in?

Looking up i found

http://steamcommunity.com/app/292140/discussions/0/620700961059265301/?insideModal=1

http://steamcommunity.com/app/292120/discussions/0/613938693095082863/

http://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantas...ttering_in_ff_xiii_pc_try_this_worked_for_me/

All related. Hopefully.

from one of the posts in the first link

One of most usefull sugestions told to people for both FFXIII and FFXIII-2 is to get gamepad....

No I am not joking seriously people think just pluging gamepad helps to stop stutters even if they don't plan to use them and play on keyboard and mouse also in case you don't have one lying around you might consider installing vJoy (it fools game into thinking that you have gamepad installed).

PS you might reconsider to search both discussions for FFXIII and FFXIII-2 for any problems you might have there is tons of questions and answers of most common topics talked about and yes including stuttering thank you.

heringer

Yeah, looks like I'll need to get a gamepad to play. Pretty dumb but hey.

Thanks!

daninthemix

Sorry man.

If its any consolation. The game plays great with a controller!
Not an excuse haha

Ugh, not for me it doesn't! I just finished FFXIII at damn near a locked 60fps, but this is all over the place. Either I veer from 60 to 30 constantly, or if I lock at 30 it seems to dip back and forth below that. And yes, this is with a 360 gamepad.

heringer

Ha, fixed!

Looks like you just need to download a program called vjoy. It emulates a joystick on your computer and fools the game. No stutters now.

Now if only I could fix the framerate changing from 60 to 30 constantly for no reason...

daninthemix

Ha, fixed!

Looks like you just need to download a program called vjoy. It emulates a joystick on your computer and fools the game. No stutters now.

Now if only I could fix the framerate changing from 60 to 30 constantly for no reason...

I just tried this fix and it works amazingly - liquid smooth 60fps:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bpq5n3aikmgj121/FFXIII-2FPSUnlock.exe

Only tried it for a minute, so don't know whether there will be any side effects or not.

brau

Ha, fixed!

Only tried it for a minute, so don't know whether there will be any side effects or not.

hahaha.. that is so random.

So i guess the culprit being the controller. Good job guys, now we have solutions for people that come later asking the same question.

Thanks for sharing that!

btw. you using GeDoSaTo?

brau

No.

Having played a bit more, I think the best solution is to use the frame-rate unlocker above coupled with adaptive v-sync. I definitely get tearing here and there, but the overall experience is smooth.

You should give it a shot. Changes with SweetFX are pretty awesome.

This game looks amazing in 4K

screenshot_2015-02-08hju5n.jpg

Bonus:
Another screenshot I took (5760x3240). I'm playing at 4K downscaled to 1080p though...

screenshot_2015-02-08kqui5.jpg

brau

Just booted the game up, and took some screens of the intro. It looks pretty awesome. At this point i am thinking of trying to rush FFXIII to get to this one. The grind is just kinda absurd.

Screens.

daninthemix

So, can anyone give me advice on the fragments? I've reached a point in Academia at a gate where I'm being very deliberately warned: "there's no going back for a while. Are you SURE you want to go through here?", and now I'm thinking might be a good point to get the optional fragments.

Except...nothing shows up on the maps to indicate either the quest givers or the quest objectives. Am I seriously supposed to meander aimlessly around until I find something (possibly something that is invisible at that??)?

I think I'm at the start of Episode 5.

man the performance on this sucks, but im sure everyone knows this by now. Even with an i7 4770k and a 970 im getting dips to 30fps all the time. Ugh.
Anyone know if you actually get to play as lightning in this? I was all psyched to play as THE GODDESS thanks to that boss-ass opening section, riding around on horses shooting lightning bolts at robot dragons in a sexy valkyrie armour getup, and then boom, bait and switch and i got stuck as some lame ass and her lame ass friends bumming around a beach :/

serahsass

Neo Member
man the performance on this sucks, but im sure everyone knows this by now. Even with an i7 4770k and a 970 im getting dips to 30fps all the time. Ugh.
Anyone know if you actually get to play as lightning in this? I was all psyched to play as THE GODDESS thanks to that boss-ass opening section, riding around on horses shooting lightning bolts at robot dragons in a sexy valkyrie armour getup, and then boom, bait and switch and i got stuck as some lame ass and her lame ass friends bumming around a beach :/
Any chance of me giving advice went out the window as soon as you added in that last part.

Miutsu

Have you tried with that .exe? I had crazy problems with framerate going between 30 and 60 all the time and after applying that patch the game mantains 60fps most of the time.

Have you tried with that .exe? I had crazy problems with framerate going between 30 and 60 all the time and after applying that patch the game mantains 60fps most of the time.

I did, it actually worked wonders! No more 30fps bullshit :D

The game itself is odd. I feels way more...girly...and lighthearted than FFXIII. I miss lightning scowling and Fang being emo. Its also hard not to notice the graphical downgrade from XIII. But its not bad tho. I just wish Lightning was in it more after that awesome intro

brau

I started this today... but the game sucks at alt tabbing out. It kills my fps. Gotta change it to run in borderless windowed.

Flandy

Interested in picking this up. I assume battles are still a shit show when it comes to frame rate like they are in 13? Is it possible to just lock the frame rate and render it higher than 1080p instead.

Sorry for Bump.

Did they fix FPS problem? Can i play stable 60FPS with this system? (and maybe 4k)

i5 4590 3.7ghz
16GB RAM
GTX 970

You can probably get stable 60 @1080p out of combat using the patch that removes the framepacer. I'm playing at 1440p on a 980ti and 6700k and after dropping MSAA to 8x, I get 60 in most areas. Some hallways/tunnels still drop me down to ~45-50, which also makes the game run a bit slower with the framepacer removed, but it really hasn't been an issue since I left the second area in the game. Combat generally runs at 60, but any spell with a ton of effects like Firaga will drop it to 45 for a couple seconds.

hodgy100

Sorry to bump but being as this is the OT..

A friend picked this up in the steam sale but they are having serious performance issues (talking about 8fps in battle 20fps exploration not the usual 30/60 fps issues I've read in here.

He doesn't have a bad gpu HD7850 2GB or cpu i5. so the performance doesnt really make sense. We have tried a bunch of fixes already posted here and in otehr places to do with frame pacing and stuff.

He's already been denied a refund and hes getting really annoyed at the performance.

Any one have any ideas?

Parsnip

Sorry to bump but being as this is the OT..

A friend picked this up in the steam sale but they are having serious performance issues (talking about 8fps in battle 20fps exploration not the usual 30/60 fps issues I've read in here.

He doesn't have a bad gpu HD7850 2GB or cpu i5. so the performance doesnt really make sense. We have tried a bunch of fixes already posted here and in otehr places to do with frame pacing and stuff.

He's already been denied a refund and hes getting really annoyed at the performance.

Any one have any ideas?
What kind of settings is he trying to run the game in?

Parsnip

Cross posting from Steam thread, figured this thread might have people who want to know about this as well.

Someone wrote a little injector that fixes the Xbone controller issues in Final Fantasy XIII-2 (and XIII according to readme), and it also has the framepacing removal in it. Both optional if you only want to use one or the other since the framepacer removal can cause some issues apparently.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/292140/discussions/0/487877107138721625/

Briefly tested the xboner fix and it worked great.

Top Bottom