• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII has the best OST in the series (come at me)

SantaC

Masashi Hamauzu is a genius. This soundtrack really feels like a fantasy, so dreamy and so shifty. I thought that the music in Final Fantasy would get worse when Nobuo Uematsu retired, but I was wrong. Hamauzu was able to deliver something the rest of game couldnt; a masterpiece.

Here are some of my favorites:

Sabers Edge

Sunleth Waterscape

The Vestige

The will to fight

Archylte Steppe

Gapra Whitewood

Dust to dust

Verdanth

FF XV says hi.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I see no lies here. :) I think he's one of the most underrated composers out there. His work on Dirge of Cerberus was phenomenal and that's one of my favorite video game soundtracks of all time. His work on FFXIII was also one of the strongest points of the game (along with its graphics).
One of my favorite DoC songs:

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
VI and VIII has the best and then XII. XIII's ost was decent. But shit when compared to everything Uematsu composed and Sakimoto composed for XII. So basically what I'm saying is that XIII's OST is actually just average to shit tier. But if FFXIII is the 1st Final Fantasy most people played then they most likely think it is the best OST ever made. It's just plain shit but probably okay given that it's part of the straight line simulator that XIII is.

Last edited:

Pallas

FFVIII was pretty good and above FFXIII on my opinion, I’d probably give the best OST to Tactics though. I thought the music was pretty brilliant and did really well in sitting the mood for that game.

Synless

FF XV says hi.

giphy.gif
Final fantasy XV had the best battle music(s) in the series. Absolutely epic battle themes. Its highs are super high. But unfortunately the music overall falls flat. Now, if you include all of the expansions, the updates it becomes a greater contender. Vanilla FFXV though? No.

Boss Mog

FFXI has the best soundtrack in the series by far, the sheer scope of it dwarfs any other FF game. FFXI has more top tier tracks than other FF games have tracks. FFXIV might be catching up to it in number of tracks but it still lags far behind in terms of quality tracks.

IKSTUGA

Just no... X was the last one with the classic quality. Nobue Uematsu is god.

Edit: Apparently he did work on XIV, XI and others as well. Maybe I should give those soundtracks a second try...

Last edited:

Zelent

I agree with the OP, the FFXIII soundtrack is amazing, especially the battle themes.
In terms of BEST, I think FFXIV still beats it.

Despite being the worst modern FF game, I feel some of the music in FFXV decent too. Mainly the main theme.

Slightly off topic: I bought the PS3 version on day one back in the day. Played it after a bad day at work for two hours and instantly hated it. Never touched it again.

Fast forward to the better part of a decade later: There I was picking up a secondhand copy for the Xbox One X (when the 4k enhancement was released) to give it a second shot... annnnnd I was instantly sold on the game.

Amazing soundtrack, fantastic world and character design and... a really good combat system. I love it. I'm glad that I never sold my collectors edition for the PS3. It's a brilliant JRPG. I'm still kicking myself for being so jaded and closed minded back in 2010.

SantaC

Slightly off topic: I bought the PS3 version on day one back in the day. Played it after a bad day at work for two hours and instantly hated it. Never touched it again.

Fast forward to the better part of a decade later: There I was picking up a secondhand copy for the Xbox One X (when the 4k enhancement was released) to give it a second shot... annnnnd I was instantly sold on the game.

Amazing soundtrack, fantastic world and character design and... a really good combat system. I love it. I'm glad that I never sold my collectors edition for the PS3. It's a brilliant JRPG. I'm still kicking myself for being so jaded and closed minded back in 2010.
I also think the game is a lot better the second time. I came back to it for PC a couple of years ago, and it was better then I remembered it for.

Maybe because SE dropped the ball for FF last few years.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Rawr Rawr Rawr, Rebel rebel rebel

FFXIV has the best OST....hands down

Also Aht Urghan in FFXI puts most newer tracks to shame in the newer games.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
XI and XIV have the best just by virtue of how big their soundtracks are. You're talking like what, 10 albums between the two of them? And its not like music they just shit out as background noise, the vast majority is genuine FF quality music.

But I agree OP that Masashi Hamauzu is a superb composer.

51tPkWTxKcL._SX355_.jpg

You should listen to this piano set if you haven't.

Shifty

The violin was good but I can only take so much of it at once.

Put my vote in the FFXIV pile, even though a fair amount of its big-ticket stuff is derived from other soundtracks in the series, the original tunes are also cracking:

This one's not the strongest overall, but that Prelude-inspired intro is glorious :messenger_savoring:

Last edited:

joe_zazen

I also think the game is a lot better the second time. I came back to it for PC a couple of years ago, and it was better then I remembered it for.

Maybe because SE dropped the ball for FF last few years.

it was one of those games that got dogpiled on and became ‘game is worst thing ever’ meme. Reality /= internet meme.

It is a shame because the battle system is ace, and by anime standards, the story and world are good.

and yes, the music is sublime.

kunonabi

It's not a bad ost but i wouldnt call it particularly memorable either. I'd put IV, VI, X-2, XII, Tactics, and Crystal Chronicles ahead of it in a heartbeat.

Larxia

It's weird, I personally really like FF XIII, it's my favorite FF game, however, I really don't have any attach to its soundtrack, while it's usually the only thing this game is praised for.
It's not bad, but there's something kind of missing for me, it's not the kind of themes that I'll go back listening to after beating the game.

And FF XIII-2 is a lot worse for me, the whole game atmosphere and its soundtrack are just really really weird, I don't like the ambience in this game.

FF XV for me has the best soundtrack.

Last edited:
I absoultly adore FFXIII Trilogy, and the music is phenomenal.
People who say it's not FF if Nobuo Uematsu did the music are short sighted and nostalgia blind, he made amazing music for 1-9 and stopped while he was still in his prime, 10 was a joint effort between Nobuo Uematsu, Masashi Hamauzu, Junya Nakano, Shirō Hamaguchi and Hirosato Noda.
Look what happened to DQXI, it's one of the laziest soundtracks ever composed, filled to the brim with reused tracks from previous games in the series.

SantaC

I absoultly adore FFXIII Trilogy, and the music is phenomenal.
People who say it's not FF if Nobuo Uematsu did the music are short sighted and nostalgia blind, he made amazing music for 1-9 and stopped while he was still in his prime, 10 was a joint effort between Nobuo Uematsu, Masashi Hamauzu, Junya Nakano, Shirō Hamaguchi and Hirosato Noda.
Look what happened to DQXI, it's one of the laziest soundtracks ever composed, filled to the brim with reused tracks from previous games in the series.
DQ11 ost is shit yes.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I saw A New World play The Promise live, and I wept

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't know you had a neogaf account Toriyama

royox

Not in a world where FFXIV exists OP.

Final fantasy XV had the best battle music(s) in the series.

And again, <sigh>, not in a world where FFXIV exists.

I could spend all the day posting battle musics of XIV and XV won't stand a chance. Other good thing that XIV does to perfection and people not playing it won't get just by hearing the music is LeitMotiv, every song is very strong on that. This and the perfect sync of music-mechanics.

Bonus Track, because not everything has to be "epic chants" or Orchestra Music in boss battles.

Consider yourself come'd at. (oh boy)

They're good no doubt, and agree about not having to worry about Nobuo. The soundtrack for 13 was good.

However, FF6 has it. Its music ties together for the characters so well, one cannot think of the holistic game when listening to those tunes.

royox

Comparing an MMO to a single player RPG......

An MMO with better main story than any other FF since PS2 era, yes. 14 is still a Main FF game with it's own number. Being an MMO doesn't make it worse or diferent and much less now after shadowbringers, the best FF game since X.

Last edited:
Especially if you consider the limitations of the SNES sound chip, I think FFVI had better music than XIII, for that matter so did FFVIII, and IX.

I still remember every note of every track in the OST. The tracks were very short given limits of space on the cartridge, but I never got tired of the same music over an over despite playing through the game so many times.

Final Fantasy IX overworld theme was also amazing. So calming.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Especially if you consider the limitations of the SNES sound chip, I think FFVI had better music than XIII, for that matter so did FFVIII, and IX.

I still remember every note of every track in the OST. The tracks were very short given limits of space on the cartridge, but I never got tired of the same music over an over despite playing through the game so many times.

Final Fantasy IX overworld theme was also amazing. So calming.

I agree.

Top Bottom