• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII has the best OST in the series (come at me)

D.Final

Banned
The OST that I prefer, I love, and which I think is the best, is that of Final Fantasy XV.

He manages to involve, to be emotional, and to highlight emotions during the events of the game's plot.
Including the many new tracks made by other great artists, including Uematsu and also the creators of the tracks of Nier Automata and Chrono Trigger.

And all these, combined with the wonderful work done by Yoko Shimomura for the main game's OSTs, make for me Final Fantasy XV the game with one of the most spectacular, and best, OST of this generation.

One of the best Final Fantasy ever made.
(and, for me, the best Final Fantasy
since Final Fantasy IX)
And with a level of majesty and epicity equal to FF VI, VII, VIII and IX.

Other OSTs that I love are those of FF VII, IX, VIII, VI and IV.
But in general, all Final Fantasy OSTs are great and beautiful.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
FFXIII has both great art direction (I personally like art style waaay more than FFXV) and music and even has great battle system, it just the level design and pacing and story itself is kind of sucks.

Not in a world where FFXIV exists OP.

And again, <sigh>, not in a world where FFXIV exists.

I could spend all the day posting battle musics of XIV and XV won't stand a chance. Other good thing that XIV does to perfection and people not playing it won't get just by hearing the music is LeitMotiv, every song is very strong on that. This and the perfect sync of music-mechanics.

Bonus Track, because not everything has to be "epic chants" or Orchestra Music in boss battles.

you missed a8s

i pretty much agree that it's among the best, it has the most highest rated song from me... but nostalgia wins for my personal favorite -- which is probably 8,

While XIII's ost is not my favorite from the FF series, it is a brilliant soundtrack made by an incredibly talented composer. I love, LOVE the work of Masashi Hamauzu in general. My favorites tracks from FFXIII are:
- Eden Under Siege
- Saber's Edge
- Will to Fight

Myths

Actually XIII-2 and LR are far more interesting but XIII did establish a lot of motifs. I was just listening to a few of LRs:

XIII has the Vestige, the Pulse l’Cie to Hunt l’Cie, and No way to Live.

this should’ve been the boss theme tbh:

Xiii-2 had Noel’s theme, Knight of the Goddess, Paradigm Shift, Caius Theme, Yeul’s theme, Ruined Hometown aggressive mix, Historian Crux, and endless Paradox just off the top.

the second half of this is amazing:

But that’s just its sequels. Don’t get me started on just the FF2 and FF3 let alone the rest of the series has stand against XIII’s OST.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I don't have a valid opinion because I only beat one or two of the FF games but I agree that 13's soundtrack is incredible. I think that's part of why people were so hyped, because the song (used in the battle theme as well) that played in the trailer left such an impression:

The part everyone remembers starts at 0:58.

As an aside, Deus Ex: Human Revolution was also praised for its musical stylings prior to release. I was one fan among many speaking up and asking "the music will be like the trailer, right?"

Square Enix made a lot of mistakes last gen, but their soundtracks are not one of them.

FFXIII has both great art direction (I personally like art style waaay more than FFXV) and music and even has great battle system, it just the level design and pacing and story itself is kind of sucks.
HD was and still is a huge problem to Japanese game developers and it effected XIII's development greatly that along with the rise of western dominance of the console market and SE still wanting to prove themselves as the kings of graphics and technology, i think FFXIII still a great game inspite of it's short coming in the exploration department, which was fixed in it's sequals.

Last edited:

Banned
Aside from blinded of lights, saber's edge and gapra whitewoods everything else sounds a bit bland, and the OST kimi ga iru kara is kinda lacklustre compared to ff viii phenomenal eyes on me or melodies of life.. Hamauzu did a great work here, but I like his works in saga frontier 2 more

Danjin44

HD was and still is a huge problem to Japanese game developers and it effected XIII's development greatly that along with the rise of western dominance of the console market and SE still want to prove themselves as the kings of graphics and technology, i think FFXIII still a great game inspite of it's short coming in the exploration department, which was fixed in it's sequals.
I don't know games like DQXI, Persona 5 and Xenoblade show they are much better not mention we still have these to look forward to.
Tales_of_Arise.jpg

Granblue-Fantasy-Project-ReLINK.png

shin-megami-tensei-switch.jpg

48784467308_4f30aa3de2_o.jpg

And even back in PS3/360/Wii era we had some pretty good HD JRPGs, like Tales of Vasperia, Valkyria Chronicles, Xenoblade Chronicles, Ni no Kuni, NiER, Lost Odyssey and Resonance of Fate.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
The OST that I prefer, I love, and which I think is the best, is that of Final Fantasy XV.

He manages to involve, to be emotional, and to highlight emotions during the events of the game's plot.
Including the many new tracks made by other great artists, including Uematsu and also the creators of the tracks of Nier Automata and Chrono Trigger.

And all these, combined with the wonderful work done by Yoko Shimomura for the main game's OSTs, make for me Final Fantasy XV the game with one of the most spectacular, and best, OST of this generation.

One of the best Final Fantasy ever made.
(and, for me, the best Final Fantasy
since Final Fantasy IX)
And with a level of majesty and epicity equal to FF VI, VII, VIII and IX.

Other OSTs that I love are those of FF VII, IX, VIII, VI and IV.
But in general, all Final Fantasy OSTs are great and beautiful.

Why are you bringing up emo boy band takes a road trip and listens to 'Stand By Me' - the game?

This thread is about Final Fantasy games.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Why are you bringing up emo boy band takes a road trip and listens to 'Stand By Me' - the game?

This thread is about Final Fantasy games.

Final Fantasy XV is a great and beautiful
Final Fantasy.

And
whether you like it or not, it will always be part of the great and fantastic Final Fantasy saga.

Last edited:
I don't know games like DQXI, Persona 5 and Xenoblade show they are much better not mention we still have these to look forward to.
Tales_of_Arise.jpg

Granblue-Fantasy-Project-ReLINK.png

shin-megami-tensei-switch.jpg

48784467308_4f30aa3de2_o.jpg

And even back in PS3/360/Wii era we had some pretty good HD JRPGs, like Tales of Vasperia, Valkyria Chronicles, Xenoblade Chronicles, Ni no Kuni, NiER, Lost Odyssey and Resonance of Fate.
If i had the access required to make new threads i would've talked about what i mean in detail, in short DQXI and P5 while having HD graphics are still stuck in the PS2 era design wise, a large majority Japanese studios still don't know how to make a world without loading screens and battle transitions, and speaking of DQXI despite it using UE4 it's still designed in the same way DQVIII was with loading screen when entering towns/dungeons despite asset streaming being the norm for over 13 years!
Once i get the option to make threads you better believe i'm making a thread about the technological short coming of Japanese games and especially JRPGs.

Danjin44

If i had the access required to make new threads i would've talked about what i mean in detail, in short DQXI and P5 while having HD graphics are still stuck in the PS2 era design wise, a large majority Japanese studios still don't know how to make a world without loading screens and battle transitions, and speaking of DQXI despite it using UE4 it's still designed in the same way DQVIII was with loading screen when entering towns/dungeons despite asset streaming being the norm for over 13 years!
Once i get the option to make threads you better believe i'm making a thread about the technological short coming of Japanese games and especially JRPGs.
If we are talking about tech wise, they never will match the western developers other than Square and Capcom because western developers will always go with hyper realistic graphics for immersion and willing to sacrifice gameplay in order to achieve it.

joe_zazen

An MMO with better main story than any other FF since PS2 era, yes. 14 is still a Main FF game with it's own number. Being an MMO doesn't make it worse or diferent and much less now after shadowbringers, the best FF game since X.

it is different & there are legions of people who wont touch an mmo as they are perpetual time sinks with crazy addictive qualities. So numbered or not, they are different from single player jrpgs.

If we are talking about tech wise, they never will match the western developers other than Square and Capcom because western developers will always go with hyper realistic graphics for immersion and willing to sacrifice gameplay in order to achieve it.
They don't need to emulate the realistic esthetics, more likely from interview with a Japanesepproducer i forgot who it was, he admited most in Japan have no experience on how to make a huge interactive world or any of the modern techniques like streaming assets, it's why i'm super excited for Tales of Arise it's a step in the right direction IMO and looks like Xenoblade is finally influencing other big dogs in the JRPG market.

Danjin44

They don't need to emulate the realistic esthetics, more likely from interview with a Japanesepproducer i forgot who it was, he admited most in Japan have no experience on how to make a huge interactive world or any of the modern techniques like streaming assets, it's why i'm super excited for Tales of Arise it's a step in the right direction IMO and looks like Xenoblade is finally influencing other big dogs in the JRPG market.
You also need to think about costs, developers like Atlus cant effort make high tech graphics so they rely on their art direction, this also true with FromSoftware games, they tech behind their games is not intense as other AAA games out there but their games has excellent art direction to make up for lack high tech graphics.

royox

it is different & there are legions of people who wont touch an mmo as they are perpetual time sinks with crazy addictive qualities. So numbered or not, they are different from single player jrpgs.

And what has that to do with having an amazing OST? OP's tittle says
Final Fantasy XIII has the best OST in the series

I stated that there's another Final Fantasy with much better ost and it's Final Fantasy XIV. Tittle doesn't say "single player game" or "non MMO" or anything like that. FFXIV is a main line FF game, if people will miss the best FF game since FFIX just because they think it's WoW with Weeb skin it's their problem. Shadowbringers alone is better than the last 3 Single Player main FF games for example.

SantaC

And what has that to do with having an amazing OST? OP's tittle says
Final Fantasy XIII has the best OST in the series

I stated that there's another Final Fantasy with much better ost and it's Final Fantasy XIV. Tittle doesn't say "single player game" or "non MMO" or anything like that. FFXIV is a main line FF game, if people will miss the best FF game since FFIX just because they think it's WoW with Weeb skin it's their problem. Shadowbringers alone is better than the last 3 Single Player main FF games for example.
I should had stated single player FFs only. I have personally not played FF14 simply because I will never touch a mmo.

Last edited:

Komatsu

I don't want to be that guy, but as a lifelong Final Fantasy player, and notwithstanding my admiration for Hamauzu's undeniable talents, XIII's soundtrack is not even in the top 5 for me.

I wonder if it's a generational thing? I don't see how someone who was there during the franchise's peak in the PS era could potentially say that XIII and XIV have better soundtracks than Uematsu's golden triad.

But this is Final Fantasy, so there's about 32 years of music to choose from.

My personal favorite OST is X. Certain tracks, such as Hamauzu's very own 極北の民 Kyokuhoku no Tami (Servants of the Mountain, also known as People of the Far Noth), still awe to this very day.

Even absolutely embarrassing FF games, such as X-2, have fairly decent soundtracks. That game was worth just for this one track:

Last edited:

Dthomp

FFXI has the best soundtrack in the series by far, the sheer scope of it dwarfs any other FF game. FFXI has more top tier tracks than other FF games have tracks. FFXIV might be catching up to it in number of tracks but it still lags far behind in terms of quality tracks.

I can't believe it took 20 posts for the best one to get mentioned...

royox

I don't see how someone who was there during the franchise's peak in the PS era could potentially say that XIII and XIV have better soundtracks than Uematsu's golden triad.

Because XIV has music from almost ALL the games of Uematsu's Golden Era totally remade and orchestrated. That plus Answers and Dragonsong, two of the best pieces he ever made, plus everything Soken does. It's unbeatable.

And much more, I won't end posting them...there's a whole Ivalice Raid full of Tactics and XII themes, a whole FFIII and FFV raid full of their themes and now the theme is FFVIII with eden. It keeps delivering old and new awesome music.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
While D.Final is a really bad Final Fantasy XV shill he understands the core aspect of what makes Final Fantasy more than most on this board.

On the discussion of FF XIII, I still think it had so much going for it as a concept but it was all done poorly. The music in particular isn't very good either but I do love the violin in the battle theme, shame the final product is overproduced garbage.

NGL though... Been listening to Lightning Returns OST on Spotify. Now that is surprisingly good, a shame the game it's attached to is Lightning Returns.

But yeah, you're wrong. Sorry.

Caffeine

14 def has the best one just go listen to it on youtube. before it though I personally enjoyed the soundtrack of 13 its one of the high points for the game.

Top Bottom