• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta Signups Open & Opening Movie Released

Arksy

Which sounds promising on paper but it seems like they'll have to gimp it a fair bit for use on consoles.

Jinko

Curious if Yoshida has commented on whether he'd direct an offline FF after this.

Chances are he will now be shackled to this games with future content and updates and won't have time for another project.

Which sounds promising on paper but it seems like they'll have to gimp it a fair bit for use on consoles.

Goes without saying, has been confirmed to run at sub HD (1280 x 544), looks crap in comparison to PC but what can you expect.

ps3ui2.png

Synless

I thought about it, and I had a square-enix account that I registered a ton of games to, including my FF13 code. Problem is, I have no idea what account that was and there is only a password reset and no account lookup. Who does that?

So ps3 owners wouldn't be picked until like late march early april?

Yes, PS3 beta starts on Phase 3.

Btw the survey said something about new PvP content? Can someone elaborate on this? Did vanilla FFXIV even have pvp?

Exactly what it says, 1.0 didn't have any PvP content and they're are creating it for 2.0. Yoshida was a hardcore PvP in some MMO's and he wanted to create a good PvP enviroment. Seems like in Phase 4 will start the testing of a Coliseum for PvP battles. Suposeedly more advanced PvP modes will be added in the future.

2San

Btw the survey said something about new PvP content? Can someone elaborate on this? Did vanilla FFXIV even have pvp?

BadWolf

Signed up, probably won't get in but if I do it will be my first time trying an mmo.

Had an FF13 code so hopefully that went through okay.

2San

Exactly what it says, 1.0 didn't have any PvP content and they're are creating it for 2.0. Yoshida was a hardcore PvP in some MMO's and he wanted to create a good PvP enviroment. Seems like in Phase 4 will start the testing of a Coliseum for PvP battles. Suposeedly more advanced PvP modes will be added in the future.
Sounds good. I'm actually traditionally a pvp gamer, but all the MMO's suck pvp wise these days(hence my interest in FFXIV). Having some pvp is always welcome though. :3 Still it'll be risky business for S-E having to balance for PvE and PvP.

omlet

Sounds good. I'm actually traditionally a pvp gamer, but all the MMO's suck pvp wise these days(hence my interest in FFXIV). Having some pvp is always welcome though. :3 Still it'll be risky business for S-E having to balance for PvE and PvP.

Indeed it will be. I am not optimistic about the PvP and its influence on PvE balance.

Styles

I thought about it, and I had a square-enix account that I registered a ton of games to, including my FF13 code. Problem is, I have no idea what account that was and there is only a password reset and no account lookup. Who does that?

They should all be in the inbox of the email address you registered with.

Final Fantasy XI had pvp introduced later as well didn't it? How did SE handle it back then?

They were all basically a mish-mash of minigames.

(Quick and dirty explanations, some of the rules in each are kind of obtuse, in typical SE fashion)
Ballista = Powerball (from American Gladiators). PvP for Petra stones, throw stones at Rooks for points.
Brenner = Team CTF. Someone holds a Flamme. Kill them and return it to your gate for points.
Pankration = Pokemon

2San

They were all basically a mish-mash of minigames.

(Quick and dirty explanations, some of the rules in each are kind of obtuse, in typical SE fashion)
Ballista = Powerball (from American Gladiators). PvP for Petra stones, throw stones at Rooks for points.
Brenner = Team CTF. Someone holds a Flamme. Kill them and return it to your gate for points.
Pankration = Pokemon

So the pvp balance didn't really influence the pve balance?

2San

There was no PvP Balance, as there was little to no tangible reward for participating.
PvE was the lone focus really.
I see, so if they're going to take this PvP stuff seriously. It'll be completely new territory for them. Should be interesting either way. :p

omlet

I see, so if they're going to take this PvP stuff seriously. It'll be completely new territory for them. Should be interesting either way. :p

Oops, got sidetracked by work, but looks like someone already said what I would have, so your comment here now ties back to what I said to begin with. PvE is the traditional focus for FF, and if ARR starts following WoW's footsteps of endless re-balancing to accommodate PvP, I may lose my patience and interest.

2San

Oops, got sidetracked by work, but looks like someone already said what I would have, so your comment here now ties back to what I said to begin with. PvE is the traditional focus for FF, and if ARR starts following WoW's footsteps of endless re-balancing to accommodate PvP, I may lose my patience and interest.
Honestly they should just keep the PvP and PvE balance changes separate. They're not doing open PvP afaik, so keeping it separate should be relatively easy.

Arc07

In FFXI, didn't they just nerf abilities/spells used *only* in Ballista? I stopped playing in 2006 so I'm not caught up on anything since then.

omlet

Honestly they should just keep the PvP and PvE balance changes separate. They're not doing open PvP afaik, so keeping it separate should be relatively easy.
Class/job mechanics are what I'm referring to. Unless they define a completely different set of rules governing PvP combat (possible), any changes to class/job design for one side is going to impact the other. In fact we already saw something like this in 1.x with the change for mages being unable to cast spells while moving.

In FFXI, didn't they just nerf abilities/spells used *only* in Ballista? I stopped playing in 2006 so I'm not caught up on anything since then.
I'm not sure. I only did Ballista and Brenner a couple times. The only nerfing I'm aware of was that if you changed gear you were disabled for several seconds, meaning you couldn't abuse gearswap macros for MAXIMUM DAMAGE. The Provoke JA had a use in PvP and I think Sleep's max duration was nerfed but other than that I'm not sure.

2San

Class/job mechanics are what I'm referring to. Unless they define a completely different set of rules governing PvP combat (possible), any changes to class/job design for one side is going to impact the other. In fact we already saw something like this in 1.x with the change for mages being unable to cast spells while moving.
That's true. I was just thinking they'd just do their thing for PvE and adjust the classes for PvP with the PvE mechanics as base. Since PvE still seems like the main focus of the game. They didn't really advertise the great PvP that's in the game(the first time I heard of PvP being in it was because of the survey).

Mages unable to move while casting, Yoshida played some Lineage. xD

omlet

Fortunately, XIV doesn't have to try to balance either kind of content around Utsusemi. That alone will make a huge difference when the unavoidable comparison to its predecessor is made.

Jinko

It's not open world, but some zones will be PvP, not sure if this is specific area's or just random area's.

Yoshi-P is a big PvP player and I am slightly worried this may have an adverse effect on PvE balancing, we will see I guess.

Personally I would like to see a seperate set of skills for PvP, ie once you become flagged for PvP your skill set changes.

.JayZii

Banned
Trying to decide which version to get. I already have XIV on PC but FF on console just feels so right. I don't mind the downgraded graphics of the console because Yoshida's artstyle carries it.

omlet

Do we know what specs our computers need to run FF14: ARR yet?

Nothing super official yet since it's still in development, but my PC is almost 6 years old and it ran alpha surprisingly well at middling settings (Core2Duo @2.4, 768MB 8800GTX, 3GB RAM). They have intentionally designed the engine to be very scalable (original engine was not).

Quote from director.
Y: For the alpha test, the main purpose was to test the server load so at first we selected those with high spec PC, then increased gradually checking the stability. We will continue to do the QA’s on low spec environment so there is a possibility the PC spec will change. For the very high option we are still making adjustments and it looks like it can go much higher. Either way, there won’t be major changes, the spec from alpha test will be the standard for sure and for the lowest it will be Core2Duo. We have confirmed it runs on lower specs but if we look at the bottom there are no limits, that’s why we just set it there. It will run on 8800GT and should be able to run with onBoard cards as well.
Sauce: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...JP-to-English)?p=926339&viewfull=1#post926339

There's recent thread about it here http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/59509-ARR-Recommended-Requirements but no official replies.

Talents

Banned
Nothing super official yet since it's still in development, but my PC is almost 6 years old and it ran alpha surprisingly well at middling settings. They have intentionally designed the engine to be very scalable (original engine was not).

Quote from director:

Ok, thanks man. I heard someone say the recommended graphics card would be a AMD Radeon 7970, got me a bit worried.

Jinko

Ok, thanks man. I heard someone say the recommended graphics card would be a AMD Radeon 7970, got me a bit worried.

Was running alpha on a 4870 and was above 30fps @ 1080p medium settings.

It seems ARR is more CPU hungry where as 1.0 was GPU intensive.

2San

It's not open world, but some zones will be PvP, not sure if this is specific area's or just random area's.

Yoshi-P is a big PvP player and I am slightly worried this may have an adverse effect on PvE balancing, we will see I guess.

Personally I would like to see a seperate set of skills for PvP, ie once you become flagged for PvP your skill set changes.
Hmm they're taking PvP more seriously then I thought then.
Pretty sure only Crysis 3 has the HD7970 on the spec list and that's for the max settings. :p

TheFatOne

I really hope this game turns out great, but I still have my doubts. One of my main gripes with XIV was how poorly it ran on my system. It was just a hot mess. Now that it's a new engine I hope they don't run into similar problems.

LTWheels

Maybe they could have PVP only jobs. That way it has no impact on the PVE balance.

For an example:

Marauder > Warrior (PVE Job) and Berserker (PVP Job)
Archer > Bard (PVE Job) and Marksman (PVP Job)
etc.

I cant see this game having open world PVP. More likely be instanced organised PVP. In that case having PVP only jobs makes more sense.

Jinko

Maybe they could have PVP only jobs. That way it has no impact on the PVE balance.

For an example:

etc.

I can see this game having open world PVP. More likely be instanced organised PVP. In that case having PVP only jobs makes more sense.

This is a good idea, I'll remember to suggest it :D

DrDogg

Quick question. I'm confirmed as Legacy as long as I have the little Legacy emblem on my SE account right?

I'm sure I got in on the Legacy deal, but I only see a $9.99 charge on my card from awhile back. I'd rather not have to look through all of my bank statements to find the $29.99 charge if I don't have to.

Also, even if I'm Legacy, I still need to register for the PS3 beta if I want in on that? And even though I registered my FFXIII code years ago, I still need to do it again?

Thanks!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Quick question. I'm confirmed as Legacy as long as I have the little Legacy emblem on my SE account right?

I'm sure I got in on the Legacy deal, but I only see a $9.99 charge on my card from awhile back. I'd rather not have to look through all of my bank statements to find the $29.99 charge if I don't have to.

Also, even if I'm Legacy, I still need to register for the PS3 beta if I want in on that? And even though I registered my FFXIII code years ago, I still need to do it again?

Thanks!

Yes. They stopped billing back in October.

BLCKATK

For an example:

etc.

I cant see this game having open world PVP. More likely be instanced organised PVP. In that case having PVP only jobs makes more sense.

That is a really good idea, especially because you can switch jobs on the fly. I wonder if they will try something like this..?

Victrix

*beard*
I got an email about the beta...

... letting me know I'm on the list to maybe get in the beta. Thanks, I think?

Mileena

Banned

For an example:

etc.

but what if you wanna be a godlike PvP BRD? :(

Top Bottom