• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Jayhawk

When the advantage is massive enough it starts to feel, to the player, that it is necessary. You could get artisan's weapons/helm without having any other crafters at 50
(or even 15), it would of just been a massive pain, and most people wouldn't seriously suggest it as an option.

That's a poor argument and you know it, opportunity cost is a thing. One person spending a million gil's worth of materials for the same reward as the guy that spent a few hundred thousand worth is broken. "Hoard more materials!" is just completely missing the point.

I never said all materials should be obtained the same way so I'm not sure where that is coming from, but yes, they should adjust the scrip rewards based on the material difficulty. If they want to make adamantite stuff to be more expensive to make than any other comparable crafting material, fine, but you should be rewarded for that expense.

If you're bringing up opportunity cost, you have to consider the savings of time and gil from not getting other classes up to 60. I would say the adamantite users are rewarded for their expenses: they can make and sell the new two-star main hands and off-hands. These items are likelier to be sold on the market than some of other crafted items available.

Shenmue

Banned
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/friend_recruit/

From June 29 huh? I invited 1 friend on January 22 and 2 friends on March 19 so I guess I'm not eligible to get Gold Chocobo Feathers? But if we go off the amount months subscribed 2 of my friends have been subscribed past June 29 do I'm eligible for those ones? Hmmmm I guess I will find out in 2 days.

Wait what about this?

1tl6QoQ.png

Sorian

Banned
I guess it's dependent on if you were thinking of a persistent defense increase or a stoneskin type shield that depletes with damage. My original intention was a persistent defense increase but I didn't realize what Divine Veil was so I rescind my claim because two moves like that just share too much overlap.

BadRNG

If you're bringing up opportunity cost, you have to consider the savings of time and gil from not getting other classes up to 60. I would say the adamantite users are rewarded for their expenses: they can make and sell the new two-star main hands and off-hands. These items are likelier to be sold on the market than some of other crafted items available.
Except so can the omnicrafters who don't have to deal with those same expenses? And will realistically have already full control over that market, because the way the gated system works whoever has more gil to start with wins, being geared up far faster.

How shitty the end reward is really an entire different argument we could have though, the material cost/scrip gain imbalance is what I was originally talking about. And it seems like you already agreed on that point?

Jayhawk

Except so can the omnicrafters who don't have to deal with those same expenses? And will realistically have already full control over that market, because the way the gated system works whoever has more gil to start with wins, being geared up far faster.

How shitty the end reward is really an entire different argument we could have though, the material cost/scrip gain imbalance is what I was originally talking about. And it seems like you already agreed on that point?

Continue to ignore the expenses of getting all crafting classes to 60. A casual crafter can make good profits of whatever markets they want to specialize in. Even if it appeared that the Thavnairian Bustier markets were controlled by a few people, there were still others making profits. It is entirely viable for somebody to specialize in one craft, plus work on whatever is needed to gather some of the most-used materials (through gathering or farming) and make decent profits. Some of the billionaires on the server make a lot of gil doing the most basic things like buying hides, making HQ leathers, and selling for profit.

They wanted casual crafters to be able to make stuff and enjoy the system without having every crafter maxed with full melded sets of gear. Red scrips were supposed to be a way for the casual player to still gear up, to have access to end game crafting (even if at a slower pace) without the massive time/gil sink.

Your original argument was about casual crafters not having access to end-game crafting. They still can. The gated system impacts omnicrafters as much as casual crafters. You are limited to the same amount of tokens as other crafters. You have to spend gil on materials or other tokens from other crafters to get more gear, regardless if you're an omnicrafter or a casual crafter.

Sorian

Banned
If you want a party wide, percentage based mitigation cooldown you have one.

It's called the tank LB.

I stand by my point of the two moves being too much overlap but this isn't fair to say either. Tank LB is trash and they've been struggling to find ways to sneak it into fights since 2.1. It has no real place in the world except when the fight is designed to force it on us.

WolvenOne

You should be upset. It's bullshit they expect you to both craft and supply all the materials for rest of the group. Tell them to start providing mats or to start buying their own damn potions.

I make food/potions for a few people in my group, but they all supply some (at least the expensive) materials if they want anything made. I'll usually cover cheaper stuff like vendor materials, certain cheap node spawns, etc. But everyone chips in somehow, some even give extra materials to be used for other people's stuff as well.

Asking for a single guy to be responsible for rest of group is just ridiculously selfish. You are being used, and you should talk to your group about it.

Well its not the entire group, and I don't actually do the crafting, I just supply the mats. Still, at the pace we've been going it's cost me hundreds of thousands of Gil per raid session, and it's all I can do to keep my balance in place. That wouldn't be horrible, but I kinda want the new crafted accessories in when they come out in 3.1, and I definitely want a medium house once Ishgard lots are available. So yeah, I'm going to have to ask people to cover at least some of the mats so I'm not burning through so much Gil.

At least until I can farm up all the materials myself.

Xiraiya

So I'm hoping to find some info, I bought a 60 Day timecard but fell into the region problem, so I was buying from the NA store when I have an EU account, $29.99 isn't really the end of the world if I lost it but it sure would be nice if I could not lose 2 months of game time, I'm wondering if anyone might have an EU 60 day card to trade for.

Ken

You are confusing me and Sorian. Sorian was the one saying that move was good. I was saying Cure AOE.

And you must be confusing me for some imaginary poster that thinks it worth entertaining the idea of a PLD AoE cure.

I stand by my point of the two moves being too much overlap but this isn't fair to say either. Tank LB is trash and they've been struggling to find ways to sneak it into fights since 2.1. It has no real place in the world except when the fight is designed to force it on us.

Tank LB is trash because it's giving up DPS LB, but it's still there to press if people really want that party % mitigation (in the event that the bucketload of other mitigations somehow don't cut it).

I mean, I'd love a free tank LB1 every 3 minutes but let's not pretend that's balanced in the current landscape.

Well its not the entire group, and I don't actually do the crafting, I just supply the mats. Still, at the pace we've been going it's cost me hundreds of thousands of Gil per raid session, and it's all I can do to keep my balance in place. That wouldn't be horrible, but I kinda want the new crafted accessories in when they come out in 3.1, and I definitely want a medium house once Ishgard lots are available. So yeah, I'm going to have to ask people to cover at least some of the mats so I'm not burning through so much Gil.

5e79b6bf0ef3457a5e790e9f6e42a4387e51f2c5.png

BadRNG

Continue to ignore the expenses of getting all crafting classes to 60. A casual crafter can make good profits of whatever markets they want to specialize in. Even if it appeared that the Thavnairian Bustier markets were controlled by a few people, there were still others making profits. It is entirely viable for somebody to specialize in one craft, plus work on whatever is needed to gather some of the most-used materials (through gathering or farming) and make decent profits. Some of the billionaires on the server make a lot of gil doing the most basic things like buying hides, making HQ leathers, and selling for profit.

Your original argument was about casual crafters not having access to end-game crafting. They still can. The gated system impacts omnicrafters as much as casual crafters. You are limited to the same amount of tokens as other crafters. You have to spend gil on materials or other tokens from other crafters to get more gear, regardless if you're an omnicrafter or a casual crafter.
I'm not trying to ignore the expenses, I just think you are exaggerating them a bit if you want to compare it to the expenses one will face buying the other crafted materials you will need.

I feel like this is really nitpicking, as they always "had access" by your definition, they just needed enormous amounts of gil and time. Which they still need. The amount of scrips required is just the first noticeable wall, it gets worse from there. Omnicrafters are certainly impacted but it's the same way they were impacted in every other grind, less so and more gil you spend the easier it gets.

I guess it comes down to we had very different ideas of what red scrips should be, or at least their purpose. From the way Yoship described them pre-release, it sounded like a crafter's tome system where casual players could put in a little work every week and still progress. So you didn't need to pour large amounts of time and resources in order to craft. But instead what we have in it's current state is just the same ol same ol, it's just the newest time/gil sink for crafters endgame.

Like, just eyeballing mats for some items, it could cost 1m+ a week to cap for certain classes. That is not much gil to us but to some that is a huge amount, especially when you consider they will need to do that every week for months before they can have their gear.

Jayhawk

I'm not trying to ignore the expenses, I just think you are exaggerating them a bit if you want to compare it to the expenses one will face buying the other crafted materials you will need.

I feel like this is really nitpicking, as they always "had access" by your definition, they just needed enormous amounts of gil and time. Which they still need. The amount of scrips required is just the first noticeable wall, it gets worse from there. Omnicrafters are certainly impacted but it's the same way they were impacted in every other grind, less so and more gil you spend the easier it gets.

I guess it comes down to we had very different ideas of what red scrips should be, or at least their purpose. From the way Yoship described them pre-release, it sounded like a crafter's tome system where casual players could put in a little work every week and still progress. So you didn't need to pour large amounts of time and resources in order to craft. But instead what we have in it's current state is just the same ol same ol, it's just the newest time/gil sink for crafters endgame.

Like, just eyeballing mats for some items, it could cost 1m+ a week to cap for certain classes. That is not much gil to us but to some that is a huge amount, especially when you consider they will need to do that every week for months before they can have their gear.

You're also exaggerating a bit on the costs for materials to cap scrips.

It appears you're equating casual to mean cheap. Not everybody that is rich is a hardcore omnicrafter. Not everybody that is a hardcore omnicrafter is rich.

Whatever system they introduced had to involve some sort of sink involving time and gil. I can't envision many systems that could have been introduced to make it more casual-friendly without still being exploitable by the rich.

BadRNG

I'm not really, in fact 1million may be an underestimation for some classes. For my BSM's red scrip turn in today, if I crafted all BSM-craftable stuff myself and bought rest NQ, it'd be about 70k-80k~ I think? Assuming I got max possible turn in quality I'd need 17 to cap, or around 1.2m gil in mats.

I'm equating casual to mean they don't have multiple hours to grind crafting and gathering every day. One suggestion I saw (I think on reddit?) was a daily turn in like battle classes have in roulettes, a large amount of scrips for a single item. Enough so if you did it every day you could cap easily.

This is similar to what they have with the GC turn ins for exp, and I think that is pretty fair.

That's just messed up man, and I don't know why you are saying things like "it wouldn't be so bad if I had more gil or time to farm" - like that is completely missing the real issue. Your group is using you. Blowing hundreds of thousands of gil every raid day for other people is just too much, tell them to stop being lazy and start contributing.

Alternately continue being what Ken alluded to.

Jayhawk

Red crafting scrips were done in a few hours by a lot of people. Less time than it takes to cap esoterics. Gathering has the true grind with this new system with favors taking 10+ hours if you did them all. If you only had one gathering class at 60 for getting red scrips, you would need to hit at least 28 nodes, getting 2+ per nodes. That's 2 hours a day in a week.

Aselith

Red crafting scrips were done in a few hours by a lot of people. Less time than it takes to cap esoterics. Gathering has the true grind with this new system with favors taking 10+ hours if you did them all. If you only had one gathering class at 60 for getting red scrips, you would need to hit at least 28 nodes, getting 2+ per nodes. That's 2 hours a day in a week.

It's a pretty hard swing though on whether the items you craft for the scripts are worth millions or hundreds of thousands depending on what the system actually draws for you. One thing I found to off set is to not do collectible if you get to 100% quality and complete it as a regular item and sell the guaranteed HQ. Helps a bit with the money/time investment.

I'd like to see the items get a bit more normalized. Certainly cost depends on server but a lot of this stuff you can look at it and it's clearly gonna cost way more than the thing you were grinding yesterday just due to the amount and complexity of materials.

xezuru

Does anyone know if it saves your hud layout server side?
I had a pretty sweet setup and coming back to the game would kinda suck trying to remember it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Does anyone know if it saves your hud layout server side?
I had a pretty sweet setup and coming back to the game would kinda suck trying to remember it.
It doesn't even save your equipment sets server side or the order your items are sorted server side.
I know that hotkey bars aren't saved on the server, but if you're moving between PCs, copying your documents folder should move everything.

I don't get this strange occupation the Flames have with going in with as few healers as possible. It seems even getting people to switch to heals is like pulling teeth.

I don't get this strange occupation the Flames have with going in with as few healers as possible. It seems even getting people to switch to heals is like pulling teeth.

mael has the same problem. can't force people. i quite dislike when people cry for healers but don't change or level one themselves. i'm grateful for every single one i get.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Wait what about this?

1tl6QoQ.png
Yeah that's my interpretation that I'm not eligible for the Recruitment Gold Chocobo Feathers BUT I'm eligible for the Subscription Based Gold Chocobo Feathers either I will find out in 1 Day.

I like how any offhanded remark I make starts an FC wide discussion. At first it annoyed me, but now I find it amusing and am going to use it to keep things interesting.

Today I said Sword Oath was crummy.

Tomorrow I think I'm going to go with "Roegadyns losing their tails really ruins the race for me sometimes.". Should work out well.

Or maybe how PVPers should be given a relic style quest that allows them to use one PVP ability in PVE. How broken would that be?

I like how any offhanded remark I make starts an FC wide discussion. At first it annoyed me, but now I find it amusing and am going to use it to keep things interesting.

Tomorrow I think I'm going to go with "Roegadyns losing their tails really ruins the race for me sometimes.". Should work out well.

Or maybe how PVPers should be given a relic style quest that allows them to use one PVP ability in PVE. How broken would that be?

now that you said something, nobody's gonna bite. rip

iammeiam

Generally misinformed people saying ignorant things brings response, yeah.

Intentionally doing it's called trolling. And, yes, is generally done because the person doing it finds it amusing.

Generally misinformed people saying ignorant things brings response, yeah.

Intentionally doing it's called trolling. And, yes, is generally done because the person doing it finds it amusing.
lol

I think people not understanding hyperbole and sarcasm are the ones misinformed or ignorant. This is GAF, if you can't read between the lines on that kinda stuff, you haven't been around here long, or need to learn to lighten up and not be so literal.

chrono01

I wish I was able to run/cap my Esoterics the morning of the patch [before reset], otherwise I'd be getting my weapon this week too. I could really use that Spell Speed. :(

Oh well, first thing next week then!

Ken

I wish I was able to run/cap my Esoterics the morning of the patch [before reset], otherwise I'd be getting my weapon this week too. I could really use that Spell Speed. :(

Oh well, first thing next week then!

???

I don't think anyone was able to sneak in extra Esoterics that week?

Top Bottom