• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, do I need to get the expansion in order to play the game or I can play with just the basic version?
There is a 2-week free trial, so you can just download that and start playing before you decide you want to buy it. As for your question, yes, you can play with the base game, the new areas and classes will just be locked out.

And which is a good starting class for someone who never played a FF MMORPGs before?
You can freely switch classes and level them up as you want with no penalties. Think V or Tactics. So just pick the one that looks the most fun for you and try it. Class change is unlocked at lv10.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Sorry if this has been asked before in the past 7 months that I been away from the game but is there any way to make those 2 blue windows (map and character screen) in Palace of the Dead smaller? It's way too big for my taste.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Sorry if this has been asked before in the past 7 months that I been away from the game but is there any way to make those 2 blue windows (map and character screen) in Palace of the Dead smaller? It's way too big for my taste.
Bring focus to the window and then hit the hud resize key (R3 on controller/ CTRL + Home? On keyboard).

Jaeyden

Just hit 19 hours and slogging through a series of fetch quests at the moment :(

Get used to it.

Advice: join a free company (if you haven't) and chat, learn and meet friends to play with in dungeons. Start a crafting or gathering class to break things up a bit - this is also a great source of Gil. The quests are pretty much back and forth, kill this guy etc for the entirety of the game but it's worth it if you are interested in the story. There are some fun diversions here and there though. Its also worth it because the higher level dungeons are really fun, the raids are fantastic and the glam, mounts, minions etc are boss. Also, gold saucer and triple triad are fun diversions. You're gonna have to slog through the Main Story Quest no matter what. We all had to do it...just over a longer period of time. It's worth it though because the end of the story is mind blowing and you will watch like an hour long cut scene. The Heavensward story is infintely better than the ARR story (which is quite good). Also, not mentioned much here...but the Dark Knight class story is easily one of the best storylines I've ever seen in an MMO.

If you are trying to level quickly make sure you do your leveling roulette everyday and also start doing Palace of the Dead. The PotD XP is excellent. Cheers!

Celcius

°Temp. member
Get used to it.

Advice: join a free company (if you haven't) and chat, learn and meet friends to play with in dungeons. Start a crafting or gathering class to break things up a bit - this is also a great source of Gil. The quests are pretty much back and forth, kill this guy etc for the entirety of the game but it's worth it if you are interested in the story. There are some fun diversions here and there though. Its also worth it because the higher level dungeons are really fun, the raids are fantastic and the glam, mounts, minions etc are boss. Also, gold saucer and triple triad are fun diversions. You're gonna have to slog through the Main Story Quest no matter what. We all had to do it...just over a longer period of time. It's worth it though because the end of the story is mind blowing and you will watch like an hour long cut scene. The Heavensward story is infintely better than the ARR story (which is quite good). Also, not mentioned much here...but the Dark Knight class story is easily one of the best storylines I've ever seen in an MMO.

If you are trying to level quickly make sure you do your leveling roulette everyday and also start doing Palace of the Dead. The PotD XP is excellent. Cheers!

There are several sequences like that in the main story questline through level 50. Just have to power through them. Eventually, once you get past 2.0, a lot of really neat storylines open up, not only the Heavensward main story but also the postmoogle quests, the Hildebrand questline, and the upper-level job quests. As the poster above mentions, there are other things you can do in the meantime to provide some variety. I'd particularly recommend checking out the Gold Saucer. Chocobo racing and Triple Triad can be quite fun.

Thanks guys, I'll continue to soldier on!

Just hit 19 hours and slogging through a series of fetch quests at the moment :(

There are several sequences like that in the main story questline through level 50. Just have to power through them. Eventually, once you get past 2.0, a lot of really neat storylines open up, not only the Heavensward main story but also the postmoogle quests, the Hildebrand questline, and the upper-level job quests. As the poster above mentions, there are other things you can do in the meantime to provide some variety. I'd particularly recommend checking out the Gold Saucer. Chocobo racing and Triple Triad can be quite fun.

Dargor

You can start playing XIV just fine with the base game. Heavensward only comes into play once you hit level 50; you have to buy it to raise the level cap to 60 and, of course, to get the new story/areas/etc. once you complete the 2.55 patch storyline.

I hadn't played any MMO before XIV either. I chose Lancer for my starting class, and that's been a pretty good choice. In general I'd say you want to start with a DPS class; tanks and healers play a more pivotal role when you're doing group dungeons, so they're probably better saved for after you've got a feel for how the general mechanics work here.

There is a 2-week free trial, so you can just download that and start playing before you decide you want to buy it. As for your question, yes, you can play with the base game, the new areas and classes will just be locked out.

You can freely switch classes and level them up as you want with no penalties. Think V or Tactics. So just pick the one that looks the most fun for you and try it. Class change is unlocked at lv10.

Thx guys you were really helpful.

Now just one last question:

Does this game have several servers or just one megaserver where everybody plays together?

If its the former, what is a good active server for me join the fun?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Thx guys you were really helpful.

Now just one last question:

Does this game have several servers or just one megaserver where everybody plays together?

If its the former, what is a good active server for me join the fun?

There are like 6 datacenters for different regions with about 10 servers in each. Gaf people are either on data center Primal, server Ultros or the roleplaying one balmung on aether.

im up to 63 hrs. i pretty much just listen to podcasts while i play till i get some cutscene or something pops up. I think im getting ready to fight the 2nd primal, i had to prove myself and i had to crush a bolder faster than some impostor dude, then i had to go to gradania. they're making me to jump through too many hoops mans, I WANNA FIGHT DA PRIMAL ALREADY!!

Some of the most active servers are Excalibur, Hyperion, Gilgamesh, Balmung and Leviathan but they are pretty hard to get into unless you pay for a transfer. Though I think that only applies to Balmung and Gilgamesh

Dargor

There are like 6 datacenters for different regions with about 10 servers in each. Gaf people are either on data center Primal, server Ultros or the roleplaying one balmung on aether.

Some of the most active servers are Excalibur, Hyperion, Gilgamesh, Balmung and Leviathan but they are pretty hard to get into unless you pay for a transfer. Though I think that only applies to Balmung and Gilgamesh

Thx for the info , now just need to get around to buying the game lol.

Redx508

More QoL Improvements http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/257429-Small-QoL-Improvements?p=3848876#post3848876

Planned for Patch 3.4

Multiple Time Display
Doze Emote
Group Pose Update
Mentor Icon Size in Chat

We've received reports that the mentor display icons in chat do not properly scale to the font size when players select sizes other than the default settings. We're going to adjust this so that the icon size will change depending on the font size used in the chat.

Future Possibilities

Duty Completion Status
We're going to see if it would be possible to make it visually easier to see which dungeons players have completed from the Duty Finder. This would help out those who may unlock multiple dungeons or trials at once, and see which ones they have/haven't completed.

Is PLD the only job in the game where you don't want to use your AOE GCD because it does no damage?

I'm going to laugh if by the time you get all the new skills for PLD in the new xpac they still have no AOE damage rotation (Circle of Scorn every 25 seconds is not a rotation).

im up to 63 hrs. i pretty much just listen to podcasts while i play till i get some cutscene or something pops up. I think im getting ready to fight the 2nd primal, i had to prove myself and i had to crush a bolder faster than some impostor dude, then i had to go to gradania. they're making me to jump through too many hoops mans, I WANNA FIGHT DA PRIMAL ALREADY!!

I think the pacing gets better later on. Most notably in Heavensward where a lot of the really menial labour stuff gets reduced quite a bit. Heavensward also being more enjoyable than ARR including the great payoff at the end.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
TIL the first boost in A5S is skippable. We finally got good, and as a reward we got adds back again. What a time to be alive.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Wow I was not expecting
to fight Edda
at the end of Palace of the Dead and once again my character was upset for having to go through with this again and gave no victory fan fare.
At least now her soul can rest in peace
but I hope that at the end of the floors they are adding in 3.45 we get to fight and kill the
Blacked Robed son of a scrub who did that to Edda

It's easy to get into any server not named Balmung and Gilgamesh. They do rotate through closing all the servers to new character creation still for unknown reasons, so if it's not showing open, wait a few hours or a day and it will open up.

It's possible to get into Gilgamesh immediately before or after a maintenance. Otherwise it remains closed.

It's impossible to create a new character on Balmung that I've personally seen. Maybe if you're running a bot you can successfully do it.

Duty Completion Status
We're going to see if it would be possible to make it visually easier to see which dungeons players have completed from the Duty Finder. This would help out those who may unlock multiple dungeons or trials at once, and see which ones they have/haven't completed.
Yes please. I still haven't unlocked Level 50 DR because I don't feel like figuring out what the ????? areas are.

Why is Gilgamesh so popular, because people like the name?
It is the "raid" server, or really, it's the server where all people who think they're good (but aren't) go because they think their small server is what's keeping them from clearing raids.

Not to say this is true of every single person who transfers there, but it's certainly the reputation the server has earned.

It is the "raid" server, or really, it's the server where all people who think they're good (but aren't) go because they think their small server is what's keeping them from clearing raids.

Not to say this is true of every single person who transfers there, but it's certainly the reputation the server has earned.

Well I switched, will report on the state of all the people who are shit :0.

I really only moved because I was on a JP server and I'd like to play with people on the same time zone. I hear Gilgamesh is the most populated so I just want to find a decent FC make a static and settle down.

There are quite a few 'pros' on Greg sadly. Too many groups that think they can pull an Elysium...so not happening. I just want a midcore static please.

ebil

Glad to see they finally managed to find a purpose for Lily Hills after all these years of wondering and NPC teasing.

My place has always been Gridania, but Lily Hills looks like crap compared to the other two.

I also spent all my money, so I need to find some shit to sell to afford an apartment. Hope they don't do rent!

dramatis

An apartment building has been added to every ward and corresponding subdivision. Before purchasing an apartment, players must first attain level 50 with at least one class. Furthermore, players must have attained the rank of second lieutenant in the Maelstrom, the Order of the Twin Adder, or the Immortal Flames. Each apartment building can house up to 90 tenants, with each room costing 500,000 gil. Players are allowed one apartment per character. Furthermore, it is possible to own both an estate and an apartment.
* Estate sharing is not permitted with apartments. Furthermore, apartments are not subject to auto-demolition.
Doesn't this mean it's limited housing again, only this time in a building?

Or is it that one player buys an apartment building and then get tenants???

Redx508

Doesn't this mean it's limited housing again, only this time in a building?

Or is it that one player buys an apartment building and then get tenants???

Sounds like is limited

One apartment building has been added in every ward and subdivision each of them hold 90 tenants.

So 6,480 apartments per server for now.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I don't understand the OT subtitle... "Easier than Midas"? Is that a raid boss?

Also wow at people spending 500k on an apartment... how much do houses cost?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom