• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebil

Are you kidding me with this MSQ progression, S-E? :lol Have to stop MSQ at 55 to grind to 56. Get to 56, and like six quests later (all fetch quests, of course), immediately hit the Lv. 57 wall.

It's like I get out of grinding hell only to go right back in grinding hell. :lol
Yeah, I've been doing this on my alt recently, it's terribly paced.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
There's more of that? I hated getting stuck in the 2.0 story when I had to gain a couple levels every three or four quests. I think I'm in the 2.4 story now. I'm at 53 and I'm going to try to get to 60 before I even start Heavensward.

Fortunately 57 isn't as bad as 56. There's 7 Lv. 56 quests, and 16 Lv. 57 quests, which hopefully will be enough to hit 58 with a few daily leveling roulettes thrown in.

There's only four 58 quests though, now that I look at it, so yay looking forward to getting stuck there I guess!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I missed tagging Melt for this
yUV4YE2.jpg

I'm just coming back to the game, I have everyone except the 3 tanks at lvl 60 so far but still am only ilvl 228 so I can't complete the main story... while I farm 1 more piece of gear I wish to do PVP for these awesome mounts I've been seeing..

Any tips or hints on how to get into this games pvp and start unlocking the mounts? I have no idea what to do besides hitting u and queueing for some random pvp thing.

Haly

Any tips or hints on how to get into this games pvp and start unlocking the mounts? I have no idea what to do besides hitting u and queueing for some random pvp thing.

https://pvpaissa.com/article/Garo-Guide

TL;DR:

1) Grind some PVP first, 4v4/8v8 Feast and Frontlines (+ daily Frontline bonus) is the best way to do this. You need 18000 marks to start.

2) Go to Wolf's Den. There's an event NPC there called the Disreputable Priest. Buy your class' gear from her. Accessories optional. You just need left side items and the weapon.

3) Talk to her while wearing your Garo armor and ask for a title. If you did it right she'll give you the event title for your class

4) Equip the title.

5) Win PVP matches for progress towards the mounts. The title you equip doesn't have to match the Job you play in these matches, you just need to have any of the Garo titles equipped. The games you won before equipping the title don't count towards your progression.

10 Frontline Wins: Silver Horse
30 Feast Wins: Golden Horse
60 total Frontline or Feast Wins: Black Horse

Best classes for these PVP modes are, in my opinion: All the healers, BLM/SMN/MCH

Redx508

for the new page

Dun Scaith run for reset day at 9:10pm EST

Must skip soar or disband

275723160840830976.png
279726208114098178.png

yes we using discord emojis now

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Best classes for these PVP modes are, in my opinion: All the healers, BLM/SMN/MCH
I'm maining BLM and really like PvP in most other online games I've played, but can't for the life of me figure out how to play BLM in PvP. I think the casting time is throwing me off, I feel too vulnerable to actually cast something stronger.

xxczx

I disagree. If the numbers are so out of whack that a healer can out heal 4-5 DPS's worth of focus, that's fucked up. Why not just run 4 healers and 4 tanks and attrition the other side to oblivion?

Attrition based PVP is fun for nobody.
4 healers 4 tanks doesn't work. You'll get kills with WAR but PLD/DRK you'll get nothing. FFXIV PvP is all about setup/burst, having the mindset of "if I keep attacking, I'll kill eventually!" will get you nowhere.
Yes this makes me mad. You say "outplay". I say, "the seesaw of damage/healing is balanced poorly". A single player shouldn't be able to negate 4-5. It is, literally, as mathematical values, unbalanced.
I didn't strictly say outplayed. To me, there is nothing wrong with being able to heal through that. If you watch the damage, the only big hits I got was limit break and fell cleave, everything else was sub-1k so in a sense it's DPS fault + luck.
I'm of the opinion that healers should, at most, be able to heal 150% of a standard DPS's sustained damage given equal gear and skill.
Again, PvP is around burst, not sustained damage.

FFXIV PvP isn't for everyone, I by no means say it's the best PvP game out there but it's something I take comfort in and have built a great community around it. Square doesn't really help much by giving no tutorials/guidance for it as it is massively different to PvE where your rotation means nothing.
I'm maining BLM and really like PvP in most other online games I've played, but can't for the life of me figure out how to play BLM in PvP. I think the casting time is throwing me off, I feel too vulnerable to actually cast something stronger.
BLM is mostly fishing for procs. You'll hardly never be doing Fire IVs and most of your damage comes from Thunder.

The carry classes in the meta right now is: WAR/PLD/MCH/BRD/MNK though PLD is more Aether and WAR is more Chaos.

What's the harder fight? Synced Savage T9 or Savage A12?

Savage T9. A12S is not so bad but my group keeps cancelling meetings and I'm getting frustrated about it cause I'm losing sleep when they don't but most definitely T9. There were such low clear numbers for Savage second coil in general from what I remember.

Haly

Again, PvP is around burst, not sustained damage.

We probably have different standards for "burst" then.

When you say "burst", I think, "someone dies in less than 5 seconds." In 5 seconds I can do at most my 1-2-3 combo and 4 oGCDs, and this will do little more than, just a ballpark figure here, 25%-35% of someone's health, and I have to land a positional Aeolian Edge (most of the time I stick to Dancing Edge).

Anything beyond my opening dump of oGCDs stops being "burst" and becomes "sustained".

xxczx

When you say "burst", I think, "someone dies in less than 5 seconds." In 5 seconds I can do at most my 1-2-3 combo and 4 oGCDs, and this will do little more than, just a ballpark figure here, 25% of someone's health, and I have to land a positional Aeolian Edge 9 (most of the time I stick to Dancing Edge).
NIN?

Internal Release, Blood for Blood (if you can survive), Enliven, Suiton, Trick Attack > First (Kassatsu, Mug) > Second (Duality, Stun), Dancing Edge/Aeolian Edge (Dream Within A Dream, Ill Wind) > First (Overwhelm, Fuma/Raiton) > Second (Assassinate).

Use DE/Fuma if you do not have Enliven up, always use Raiton on tanks, replace Suiton with Fuma somewhere in that rotation if you come out of hide to TA so you can do your GCD quicker.

My favourite past time is running around as NIN alone in Frontlines and getting into 1v1/1v2/1v3. They have incredible tools, don't forget they take less fall damage to bait your enemies off a cliff.

Haly

Alright I'll try that.

I open with Overwhelm though. In Frontlines my main strategy is to wait for the ranged to bring someone down to 30% and then I Overwhelm and unload.

Feast is mostly harassing the healer then running away once I draw attention, hoping this creates enough space for my team to kill someone.

Critical Elk

Neo Member
NIN?

Internal Release, Blood for Blood (if you can survive), Enliven, Suiton, Trick Attack > First (Kassatsu, Mug) > Second (Duality, Stun), Dancing Edge/Aeolian Edge (Dream Within A Dream, Ill Wind) > First (Overwhelm, Fuma/Raiton) > Second (Assassinate).

Use DE/Fuma if you do not have Enliven up, always use Raiton on tanks, replace Suiton with Fuma somewhere in that rotation if you come out of hide to TA so you can do your GCD quicker.

My favourite past time is running around as NIN alone in Frontlines and getting into 1v1/1v2/1v3.

Assuming you're not starting hidden you should also be throwing up a shadow fang for the 20% incoming heals debuff before you get started.

I think Shadow Fang places a healing debuff on enemies in PvP so if you want to set someone up and prevent enemy heals from healing them for as much then you can put that on them.

Haly

Yes I shadow fang WARs and PLDs who try to breach my team's frontline, or on focus/gank targets.

xxczx

Assuming you're not starting hidden you should also be throwing up a shadow fan for the 20% incoming heals debuff before you get started.
That rotation is just pure burst and an example to 100%-0%.
Shadow Fang should only really be used in downtime/setup, you should be saving any oGCDs for your burst. When I see a potential target, Shadow Fang is the least of my worries.
Hide is a different story and should not be used in Feast (and hardly in Frontlines). I mentioned Hide in my original post as I mostly go off alone in Frontlines as NIN and use it for advantages, using it properly in team fights will cause disadvantage - even at the start of matches in Feast.

I wonder if Hide will be included in their "reassessment".

It effectively has zero use in PvE. I can't remember the last time I used it outside of PvP other than for fucking around in towns.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Finally created my character on Ultros. I'm gonna apply to join the GAF guild once I sort out and get familiar with the gameplay systems a bit. I'm an Arcanist because Summoners sounded cool -- are Summoners good?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Speaking of SMN (and SCH, I guess), I've had mine on lv 60 for a while and would sometimes switch to it when roulettes were too boring as a BLM.
I haven't used him even once since I've started using the controller instead of m/kb - am I supposed to assign pet commands directly to buttons like with all the other skills?
I guess there's no way of controlling an additional bar with a gamepad, so I assumed it's the only way to go.

Qvoth

What's the harder fight? Synced Savage T9 or Savage A12?

never tried savage t9, but normal t9 was already harder than savage a12 i feel
only did savage t6 and 7 long long time ago

Finally created my character on Ultros. I'm gonna apply to join the GAF guild once I sort out and get familiar with the gameplay systems a bit. I'm an Arcanist because Summoners sounded cool -- are Summoners good?

already mentioned this link on the thread many times, but here it is again
http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression and Level Locked Content
highly recommend you follow this guide even for your 1st character

Alex

Speaking of SMN (and SCH, I guess), I've had mine on lv 60 for a while and would sometimes switch to it when roulettes were too boring as a BLM.
I haven't used him even once since I've started using the controller instead of m/kb - am I supposed to assign pet commands directly to buttons like with all the other skills?
I guess there's no way of controlling an additional bar with a gamepad, so I assumed it's the only way to go.

Yes, just put it on buttons. You can make macros pretty easily that automatically sub in the commands per summon. Like I use this for Garuda, for example:

/micon Summon
/ac Summon
/chotbar pet "Contagion" "Garuda-Egi" 3 14
/chotbar pet "Aerial Slash" "Garuda-Egi" 3 15
/chotbar pet "Shockwave" "Garuda-Egi" 3 16

Anyway, I'm finally catching up to the story since I was away for so long. 3.5 has really impressed me, I mean it's all been pretty impressive but 3.5 nails that FFVI-IX era storytelling beat so hard it's almost frightening.

Lanrutcon

Quick question for the gathering pros around collectables:

I'm a level 57 Miner. When I find an unspoiled node, all the entries are hidden. If I mine one, it reveals as a ??? with a 25% chance to mine. I have about 500 GP. My question would be: what's the best course of action from there? If I spend GP to raise the 25% chance I have less left to actually increase the quality. I feel like I'm missing something here.

Alternatively, should I just level to 60 and then worry about collectables?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Right as I resigned to 50 more runs of Zurvan, the final bird fell right into my lap.
Won't say no to free chicken.

Fortunately 57 isn't as bad as 56. There's 7 Lv. 56 quests, and 16 Lv. 57 quests, which hopefully will be enough to hit 58 with a few daily leveling roulettes thrown in.

There's only four 58 quests though, now that I look at it, so yay looking forward to getting stuck there I guess!

58 to 59 was the roughest to be honest. 57 to 58 wasn't bad since you can just run the vault while doing clan hunts which give a pretty high amount of exp while waiting in queue times for dungeons.

59 to 60 there's a lot of quests that give good exp and a dungeon at 59 as well. I actually hit 60 doing the MSQ and the leveling roulette (or at least was really close to it).

Edit: Also Palace of the Dead is fantastic for leveling and great for getting progression towards a really good weapon for your class.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Quick question for the gathering pros around collectables:

I'm a level 57 Miner. When I find an unspoiled node, all the entries are hidden. If I mine one, it reveals as a ??? with a 25% chance to mine. I have about 500 GP. My question would be: what's the best course of action from there? If I spend GP to raise the 25% chance I have less left to actually increase the quality. I feel like I'm missing something here.

Alternatively, should I just level to 60 and then worry about collectables?
You should have been doing collectibles the moment they unlocked. Pretty sure theyre the easiest and fastest way to lv up.

What you're missing is that once you've gathered the item once you don't have to deal with that 25% chance of gathering ??? items. So the first time you mine those nodes you want to use your gp to increase the chance of mining the item and adding it to your log so that in subsequent gathering trips you won't have to deal with ??? items and can just focus on gathering the item as a collectible.

Lanrutcon

You should have been doing collectibles the moment they unlocked. Pretty sure theyre the easiest and fastest way to lv up.

What you're missing is that once you've gathered the item once you don't have to deal with that 25% chance of gathering ??? items. So the first time you mine those nodes you want to use your gp to increase the chance of mining the item and adding it to your log so that in subsequent gathering trips you won't have to deal with ??? items and can just focus on gathering the item as a collectible.

OH!

So if I've farmed Node X Slot Y successfully once, then I'll never have to unlock it again if I want to collect?

Goddamnit. Had no idea.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
OH!

So if I've farmed Node X Slot Y successfully once, then I'll never have to unlock it again if I want to collect?

Goddamnit. Had no idea.
You'll still have to deal with all the slots initially showing up as hidden every time but the second hit showing up as ??? goes away after collecting it one time.

Does anyone think a gathering beast tribe could work?
I think they should have done a better job incorporating gathering into the mog quests. Should have been more like Ixal and the payout should have been rewarded to both the gathering and crafting classes used.

A dedicated gathering tribe seems a bit like overkill though.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Is Scathach really such a difficult boss to people? It feels like every time she does something all 5 dps in my party just get one-shot. Two healer LB3s is something that happens.

Crazy opinion time:

Instead of getting rid of monks defense toolkit, do the complete opposite: Make it a tank class.

Or redo it anyway and make it a healer!
I miss Mistweaver. It had a very fresh playstyle even in Legion compared to FFXIV healers. Ahh...

Is Scathach really such a difficult boss to people? It feels like every time she does something all 5 dps in my party just get one-shot. Two healer LB3s is something that happens.
Lots of people with weak gear not paying attention to the cast of her line AoE, and since chances are they also ate all of her haircuts they just explode. Same goes for Super Diabolos

ebil

A lot of these people think they can basically just get away with eating everything because nothing generally matters. I got Zurvan Normal in my trial roulette a couple days ago and the healers would rarely if ever move out of his AOEs and/or eat his very heavily telegraphed Wave Cannon. WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?

Haly

Scathath is harder for me than diabolo. I have trouble keeping track of what mechanic is going on since they just rapid fire one after another.

Jeels

I am so hyped for fan fest after catching up in the story. What are the odds that we get the full CGI intro this time?

kagamin

Finally hit item level 252 with Monk! I can do everything in this game now hahaha.

Scathath is harder for me than diabolo. I have trouble keeping track of what mechanic is going on since they just rapid fire one after another.

Diabolos is piss easy compared Scathach for most people it seems, on my first run of Dun Scaith the alliance wiped 3 times and had to wait for new healers after 2 of them left. In other news, my FC (and our the alliance by extension) wiped on Scathach because our healer decided to use LB3 when Connla was up instead of letting the DPS who was alive use it, they gave him shit for that for about 5 minutes.

wamberz1

In other news, my FC (and our the alliance by extension) wiped on Scathach because our healer decided to use LB3 when Connla was up instead of letting the DPS who was alive use it, they gave him shit for that for about 5 minutes.
Fuck, I got shit for this on monk. Saw him using full swing, still at half health, popped final heaven, got shit for it after the fight. motherfucker do you want to wipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom