• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bam

Banned
So I feel like the FFXIV community is far less toxic than other mmos. I ran Titan last night and the healer, who was obviously new, ended up dying a few times. Instead of being berated by everyone people were patient and gave him some tips. It's just so refreshing to see, especially after playing WoW.

I'm sure it's not perfect, but overall it seems so much nicer.

Arkeband

Banned
So I feel like the FFXIV community is far less toxic than other mmos. I ran Titan last night and the healer, who was obviously new, ended up dying a few times. Instead of being berated by everyone people were patient and gave him some tips. It's just so refreshing to see, especially after playing WoW.

You expect a level of derp in certain content. And people getting annoyed at bad gameplay itself isn't "toxic" - you're actually more likely to see a different type of toxicity, where said healer somehow takes offense at those tips and starts trying to grief the party.

When you get to content where people are expected to understand AOE avoidance and their rotations, you'll notice everyone has a lot less patience.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Realistically, do you think Ultros will be on the low-population list for a free transfer? Someone a while back said it was in the med-low range.

Stuart444

I also finished Sophia ex yesterday. Then was whole day in Nidhogg extreme. Spent 8 hours in training parties and managed to get to it's final phase.

Miss teq's video will tell the strategy but nothing compares to actually executing it as a group.
The hysteria circles placement is of utmost importance in all phases otherwise you will die. As a healer I will say work on dodging the mechanics damage. If you die then u loose mp. Also during adds phase be on the lookout of shadow dragon. He targets healers first. His moves have a long tell and can easily be dodged.

The hysteria puddles seem to spawn at predictable times so I don't see to many problems with that.

Thanks for the post though :)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Apologies for the questions but how do I start a new trial because when I install and start the game up, it takes me straight to my login screen?
I'm thinking that I can't start a new trial because my PSN account is automatically linked to the FFXIV account.
Correct. You'll need a new PSN account to start a new trial, but if you've already purchased the game on the other account it's a bit pointless to make a new account.

aceface

Realistically, do you think Ultros will be on the low-population list for a free transfer? Someone a while back said it was in the med-low range.

I wouldn't count on it. That list Angray posted a few pages back had Ultros at 9th out of 24 NA servers in terms of active players as of patch 3.4.

To be fair, it was only Titan.

duckroll

Cleared the MSQ until I got cockblocked by a lvl57 requirement. Took on all the moogle quests I could find. Drowning in nonsense quests now. Should keep me busy for a day or two. Flying makes all this so much easier. :p

I did a HW dungeon yesterday where me and the healer were new to it, and the party on the whole didn't talk much. It went well until the end boss, where we got wiped over and over. It was kinda frustrating but no one started getting angry or anything. In the end we managed to beat it and everyone was happy. I fucked up a bunch of times myself since it was my first day back after a month long break from the game.

Bam

Banned
You expect a level of derp in certain content. And people getting annoyed at bad gameplay itself isn't "toxic" - you're actually more likely to see a different type of toxicity, where said healer somehow takes offense at those tips and starts trying to grief the party.

When you get to content where people are expected to understand AOE avoidance and their rotations, you'll notice everyone has a lot less patience.
I guess we were lucky that the healer was apologetic and willing to listen. This makes me a little afraid about later content

To be fair, it was only Titan.
That's very true.

Maybe I've just had some terrible experiences in previous mmos

Edit: Duckroll, that's great to hear. I know I've screwed up my fair share, but haven't had any nasty comments....yet

Kenai

A lot of the best HW tracks got mentioned, but I always have to give my shout out to an often loved, often unmentioned track: Skylords (Churning Mists night theme)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrsES6HfiwI

It's so freaking gorgeous and relaxing. Honestly one of my favorite tracks in all of gaming, not just XIV. And the ending! Sooooooo gud.

Edit: Love both Library themes a lot too.

iammeiam

Honestly for the most part the game is pretty chill. You'll run into the occasional rage ball (and this happens a lot more in, like, the 24-mans where you have so many more chances of pulling the irrationally angry guy in), but as long as you say you're new or rusty and are willing to take advice the vast majority of the player base isn't going to sweat poor performance or lack of knowledge in the roulette content. Going the "You don't pay my sub!" or "I've done this before it obviously isn't me that's the problem it's you" route will make things turn ugly, but for the most part people aren't going to go crazy over mistakes. I'd hesitantly go so far as to say if somebody is reporting back a frequent occurrence of angry roulette wipes and finger pointing, they probably need to do some introspection because that's not normal.

It gets a little more contentious in the endgame Savage/EX stuff, because performance to some extent will matter, but you can control your experience there by avoiding PFs obviously created by somebody looking for a scapegoat when things fail, build a network of people you know and trust, invest time in actually doing the optional git gud learning, etc.

Basically don't be afraid, don't mistake advice for insult, remain calm and by and large it'll all work out.

B.K.

Eight more points and I'll finally be finished with Umbrite. I hope the rest of the steps aren't as annoying as this one. How long does light farming usually take? That's the one I'm dreading most next.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Eight more points and I'll finally be finished with Umbrite. I hope the rest of the steps aren't as annoying as this one. How long does light farming usually take? That's the one I'm dreading most next.

You will beg for the umbrite step back.

JK it's a little better than umbrite

Light farming shouldn' t take long, just hop in on a A1S or A9S farming party.

Stuart444

84 runs of A1S with sturdy bonus. Without the bonus window it's double that to get from 0 - 2000 light

Valor

Songs may make that up for bard, but MCH is just a giant black hole until the embargo is up at a minimum. MCH without cross-class has literally no buffs at all, unless they add one, and the mystery of the turret is worrying because +autos - turret = little if any gain single-target and a nerf in AOE, plus without the constant 30%. The DoT changes are potentially encouraging, but at the same time there's the mystery of the missing Flaming Arrow (which is... 400 potency single-target? I think? every minute), the apparent reduced Bloodletter if it only resets in the one song, etc.

I feel like we should be betting on whether ranged is massively over- or under-tuned at SB launch, because these changes are so huge I kind of can't believe they're going to get it right the first try.
I also am a bit concerned about where Machinist falls into things. Hawk's Eye is seemingly out, but maybe it'll turn into a MCH only buff? Raging is down to 10%/80sec so maybe MCH gets something similar? They'd have to otherwise they're in a bit of precarious situation. AoE is a confusing subject for sure because no passive damage from Bishop is something i wonder how they'll make up as well. I'm interested to see how both of the classes play out and I would wager they are...

Hmm.

Slightly overpowered at launch and need to be reigned in a little. I think they'll underestimate how much damage the free range of movement + potency buffs will impact players.

One thing I will say is that the floor for both jobs is likely going to raise significantly, but you can say that about many of the jobs already, so that's a good thing.

Disgusting.
You wound me, mi'lady.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
One thing I will say is that the floor for both jobs is likely going to raise significantly, but you can say that about many of the jobs already, so that's a good thing.
Doesn't that go against what they've been saying they're trying to accomplish? Can you really lower the skill gap in the player base if you're raising the floor?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
BRD and MCH will be undertuned and then quietly removed the game. Praise Yoshi.

(I'm nowhere near an expert on either class, but isn't the MCH flamethrower a potential solution for AOE? It's hard to make up for constant bishop auto-attacks, but that thing lasted a fair while; its potency would have to be much higher than Grenado Shot/The Other One to make up for the fact it's costing you your action but it seems like a possible way they're going to go).

(I'm nowhere near an expert on either class, but isn't the MCH flamethrower a potential solution for AOE? It's hard to make up for constant bishop auto-attacks, but that thing lasted a fair while; its potency would have to be much higher than Grenado Shot/The Other One to make up for the fact it's costing you your action but it seems like a possible way they're going to go).
Yeah, it depends on how the Overheat mechanic will work. I'm expecting the flamethrower to be a skill that doesn't really have a cost but can be highly maintained as long as you dump the heat between casts, sort of like MCH's version of RoD

iammeiam

I also am a bit concerned about where Machinist falls into things. Hawk's Eye is seemingly out, but maybe it'll turn into a MCH only buff? Raging is down to 10%/80sec so maybe MCH gets something similar? They'd have to otherwise they're in a bit of precarious situation. AoE is a confusing subject for sure because no passive damage from Bishop is something i wonder how they'll make up as well. I'm interested to see how both of the classes play out and I would wager they are...

I'm just going to sit here laughing @ Raging moving to 80. I figured one side-effect of this whole move would be shifting everyone to 30-second increments on buffs so things would align for synergy more naturally (Berserk going to 60 seconds, the Bard songs all being 30, etc.) Hawk's Eye moving to MCH would make a ton of sense; they could either swap the guaranteed no-miss for a Direct Hit bonus or just rework it into something else, I guess. Given that the preview video made it look like ammo exists to power up specific attacks (Ricochet and then what looked like two new ones), and the indicator that WF dropped to a 10 second window, it's all just mysterious. Cross-role gives MCH a number of spots below 60 we'll no longer get dedicated skills, so there's room to slot in buffs.

The AOE thing makes me wonder if it's a repeat of what they did with the Flare/Holy nerfs, trying to make it so dungeons aren't just 'pull everything and AOE' (especially given that WAR's biggest loss so far appears to be in self-sustain.)

Hmm.

Slightly overpowered at launch and need to be reigned in a little. I think they'll underestimate how much damage the free range of movement + potency buffs will impact players.

I'll go with overtuned for single-target but ultimately weak on AOE or at least widely perceived as such. No repeat of Bis EX party no-ranged clauses, but a resurgence of moping from people in dungeons that get double-ranged groups the first few weeks.

BRD and MCH will be undertuned and then quietly removed the game. Praise Yoshi.

They tried that in HW and it only made us stronger. Also real talk if MCH is boring to play I'm just going to try to beat people into letting me RDM. I got no loyalty to stuff that isn't fun.

The problem is that Bishop was constant free AOE that was up constantly during dungeons. Our GCD AOE skills were fine for what they were, but we vented TP ridiculously rapidly and at some point it just became Bishop while waiting for enough TP for another GCD/flip to rook if somehow everyone was bottomed out on TP and watch things take forever. Just reducing the TP cost for AOE would help, too, but even with Bishop MCH is mostly good burst AOE but meh sustained. Which is totally find if the other DPS is blowing shit up, but DF gonna DF.

Flamethrower could cover some of the gap, but if as suggested above it's related to venting heat, it requires a build-up prior to use which is a problem vs jobs that can go right into an AOE. If it has any sort of a cool down and isn't up on every pack, plus reduced number of CDs potentially damaging burst potential just puts MCH in kind of a weak spot. AOE on MCH was already boring as hell.

Maybe Ricochet will be an actual AOE now, though, that they've moved it to an ammo-consuming skill. Ricochet was always weird and garbage AOE so.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it depends on how the Overheat mechanic will work. I'm expecting the flamethrower to be a skill that doesn't really have a cost but can be highly maintained as long as you dump the heat between casts, sort of like MCH's version of RoD

Machinists are going to be robokylaughing.gif I see.

The AOE thing makes me wonder if it's a repeat of what they did with the Flare/Holy nerfs, trying to make it so dungeons aren't just 'pull everything and AOE' (especially given that WAR's biggest loss so far appears to be in self-sustain.)

The one thing that Squenix has been consistent on since day 1 was that people should take longer to go through dungeons. They some kind of minimal target time that people spend in each dungeon and they try to meet this target, which is supposedly around 20-30 minutes. Why this philosophy exists boggles the mind but that's how it's been. I remember when they got mad that people sacpulled their way through original Amdapor Keep and repeatedly altered it to try and force you to kill the trash because fuck you, that's why. This was before the trash dropped any gil, mind you, so during the launch 2.0 era people were being forced to methodically kill all the trash and wear their equipment out and no money was coming in from dungeons so people literally didn't have any money to repair their equipment.

iammeiam

The one thing that Squenix has been consistent on since day 1 was that people should take longer to go through dungeons. They some kind of minimal target time that people spend in each dungeon and they try to meet this target, which is supposedly around 20-30 minutes.

While I like pointing out stupidity in the game's design as much as anyone, that hasn't been true for a while.

4Gamer
During the interview for patch 3.1 we also heard a little about the difficulty adjustments but, is there some type of concrete standard?

Yoshida:
For the dungeons, you should be able to clear it in 40 or 45 minutes on your first run even if you wipe 3 or 4 times. After entering a few times you should average 20 minutes. When your item level increases, speed runs will take approximately 16 minutes.

Which currently is a target that they seem to hit pretty well; there are a lot of HW-era interviews that clarify that anything over 20 minutes for daily is too long, and that it will naturally be faster for geared/skilled players.

My real hope is we see more stuff like the Baelsar's bards. I've done EXDR basically exclusively on healer for a while, and it was nice to have something happen that actually required something beyond DS+ Regen + Asylum if up + holyaero3holyholyassize repeat

Kenai

Doesn't that go against what they've been saying they're trying to accomplish? Can you really lower the skill gap in the player base if you're raising the floor?

Why wouldn't it help? If the skill cap is 100 and the bottom floor is 25, raising the bottom to 50 seems like it closes the gap.

Just found a new Conjurer's staff. It's pretty much identical in stats but has different bonuses. The one I have equipped has 4 less Mind and 14 less Piety but 55 Spell Speed. The new one has those improved Mind and Piety bonuses but trades the Spell Speed for 36 Determination. Anyone know which one I should go with? I'm not really all that familiar with how to value these bonuses.

iammeiam

FFXIV community seems to have two different usages of skill floor. I've seen it used as "the bare minimum damage you can do even if you're terrible", and also as "the lowest skill level you can have and still actually play the job something resembling correctly." Raising it in the former terms would close the gap; raising it in the latter would have the opposite effect.

Just found a new Conjurer's staff. It's pretty much identical in stats but has different bonuses. The one I have equipped has 4 less Mind and 14 less Piety but 55 Spell Speed. The new one has those improved Mind and Piety bonuses but trades the Spell Speed for 36 Determination. Anyone know which one I should go with? I'm not really all that familiar with how to value these bonuses.

Don't sweat it too much while initially leveling/early gearing up. Mind makes your heals stronger, Piety gives you a bigger MP base, Det has a minor impact on how much you heal, Spell Speed makes you marginally faster and makes your HoT ticks bigger.

But realistically until you're looking at endgame gear (i260-i270 now), don't sweat the secondaries for any job. Take whatever has the highest iLevel, as it'll have the most weapon damage and Mind, which will be the biggest boost.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The gap is (theoretically anyway) smaller by design now. cause the floor is raised How is that not how it works? Unless the roof is raised more than the floor is...?

Floor here is how hard would it be to reach minimal decent performance (i.e. entry).
Cap would be how hard it is to reach really good performance (i.e. mastery).
If you make the play more complicated you're raising the floor for entry. You can't forcefully raise player skill, but you can lower the floor by making it easier

While on the outset it seems to make sense that the gap would close in reality it would just result in people playing below the minimal acceptable level (floor). The only way to decrease the gap in this game is by lowering the ceiling.

Unless by floor Valor meant minimal output you can do while at least pressing buttons in which case it is Tomat's comment that makes no sense.

Don't sweat it too much while initially leveling/early gearing up. Mind makes your heals stronger, Piety gives you a bigger MP base, Det has a minor impact on how much you heal, Spell Speed makes you marginally faster and makes your HoT ticks bigger.

But realistically until you're looking at endgame gear (i260-i270 now), don't sweat the secondaries for any job. Take whatever has the highest iLevel, as it'll have the most weapon damage and Mind, which will be the biggest boost.
Yeah I probably shouldn't sweat it over stuff I won't have for very long. I appreciate the help!

aceface

I always understood "raising the floor" to mean raising the level of dps people will do by introducing giant heads up displays that make it abundantly clear what buttons you need to press to do more damage. So say for example a great dps who knows the job inside and out and is optimizing damage does 1000 dps, before someone who just knows the bare minimum and hasn't researched the job would do 250, now they will do 500.

Valor

Maybe Ricochet will be an actual AOE now, though, that they've moved it to an ammo-consuming skill. Ricochet was always weird and garbage AOE so.
I would like this. This and the idea of Hawk's Eye giving Direct Hit bonus would be pretty great. Machinist would probably need some sort of aura effects too though to compete with bard, since bard songs still help the party (like 2% crit rate so I mean pretty much not at all?) and yeah I was kind of right since the aura is set to like 20 yalms down from 25, so maybe that reigns in movement question mark.

FFXIV community seems to have two different usages of skill floor. I've seen it used as "the bare minimum damage you can do even if you're terrible", and also as "the lowest skill level you can have and still actually play the job something resembling correctly." Raising it in the former terms would close the gap; raising it in the latter would have the opposite effect.

Floor here is how hard would it be to reach minimal decent performance (i.e. entry).
If you make the play more complicated you're raising the floor for entry. You can't forcefully raise player skill, but you can lower the floor by making it easier

While on the outset it seems to make sense that the gap would close in reality it would just result in people playing below the minimal acceptable level (floor). The only way to decrease the gap in this game is by lowering the ceiling.

Unless by floor Valor meant minimal output you can do while at least pressing buttons in which case it is Tomat's comment that makes no sense.

Hmm. The way I meant it is that I feel classes are more streamlined and there is a lot less bloat so people are likely to hit the wrong buttons far less often since every button is good. So I suppose by these definitions I am saying that I feel the minimum amount of damage a class can do will go up. I also feel that Samurai and perhaps classes like Bard will end up having a rather decent skill ceiling as well since they appear nuanced enough to put out a lot of damage, but the barrier for entry to doing this increased damage feels a lot lower?

How can I explain this better... Like Machinists. If you know the class and want to play it well many people will perform five ammo openers. That means if you don't use any ammo for your opener you're going to be significantly behind dps wise. Knowing an optimal wildfire rotation and syncing your buffs with WF is a bit more of an advanced method of playing the class since on something like Monk you typically just hit buffs when they come up in a training dummy sense.

With less cooldowns available and less "ways to play" more or less the barrier for entry should be a bit lower, you know? As bard you want to sync b4b/he/barrage together and hold cooldowns for bigger bursts at times. With only access to a 10% raging in 4.0 bard you can really use it outside of optimal timings and still have a decent impact on your overall dps, you know? Sure the optimal time to use it will probably be before a fully buffed up Barrage Empyreal Arrow in Paeon, but still if you use it in Ballad for example you'll still do good damage and get good mileage out of the skill.

I wonder if any of that rambling makes sense. I do not feel the ceiling is any lower than it has been but I do feel the floor for damage output has been raised, yes.

Edzi

Would a laptop with a GTX960M w/ 2GB dedicated memory be enough to comfortably run this game? I'm in the market for a laptop that I'd be using mostly for productivity, but would also like for it to have some light gaming capabilities on the side. Currently debating between something with an 960M or spending a bit more to get a more recent 1060.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
With less cooldowns available and less "ways to play" more or less the barrier for entry should be a bit lower, you know? As bard you want to sync b4b/he/barrage together and hold cooldowns for bigger bursts at times. With only access to a 10% raging in 4.0 bard you can really use it outside of optimal timings and still have a decent impact on your overall dps, you know? Sure the optimal time to use it will probably be before a fully buffed up Barrage Empyreal Arrow in Paeon, but still if you use it in Ballad for example you'll still do good damage and get good mileage out of the skill.

latest

Kenai

Oh. I was confused cause i thought SE's intent this go around was to make the rotations less complex and easier to understand so more people could "get" it and thus DPS would improve in general.

I guess that the worry isn't totally unjustified, but if they are really simplifying rotations overall I'm not too concerned myself. Although with a lack of PTR it's hard to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom