• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Amon37

I got an invite last night downloaded the client On my pc but I keep getting an update failed message it looks like they are using some torrent to get the update like mgsonline beta for ps3 but I can never get the update so frustrating

ronito

So FFXI was mainly made up of PC users. Do you guys think that the balance will shift this gen? I'm personally thinking of playing on my PS3. What do you guys think?

ronito said:
So FFXI was mainly made up of PC users. Do you guys think that the balance will shift this gen? I'm personally thinking of playing on my PS3. What do you guys think?

3D-secure BS screwed me out of playing FFXI on the PC and I have also been thinking of playing FFXIV on PS3 (or 360!).

Kyoufu

ronito said:

In Japan, PS3 easily. Everywhere else, PC.

At least PS3 has the advantage of being equipped with a HDD, it'll be easier for console gamers to get FFXIV set up unlike the PS2 and FFXI.

I'll definitely play it on PS3, I had one of my PS2s on for 3 years straight logged in Jeuno/Whitegate. Good times.

Arzehn

Nice, I'm in. I hope this game lives up to it's predecessor. FFXI was one of the better MMOs I played.

Guess I can't download the game till the 2nd. :/

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
thefil said:
1gt6ab.jpg

:D :D :D

I hate you!

Sacha

ronito said:

FFXI wasn't released on PS2 in Europe, but I guess it wouldn't have change much if it had been.

Otherwise, I'll play on PS3 too. Haven't played an MMORPG in years, my last one was Lineage II. Looking forward to it !

Kandinsky

Amon37 said:
I got an invite last night downloaded the client On my pc but I keep getting an update failed message it looks like they are using some torrent to get the update like mgsonline beta for ps3 but I can never get the update so frustrating
Make sure you always have 10gb free in your hdd, it gives me an error everytime i have 9gb or less, even if the update is 2mb >_>

LaneDS

Amon37 said:

What was the date in the e-mail that they sent you? Mine says June 2nd, did yours list an earlier date (like May 28th?)?

Vhalyar

Teknoman said:
I thought it was Alpha phase 2?
The new round of invites are for the Alpha 2, which has not yet begun. The emails simply use "beta tester" as a general label since it'd be pretty silly to call people "alpha 1/2/beta tester".

Keep in mind that the content in Alpha 2... is 100% the same as in the Alpha 1. There won't be any major changes, if any at all, other than code and network stability.

notworksafe

thefil said:
Apparently this is alpha2 (from what I'm reading online).

Two more days :(.
Yeah it's alpha 2. Basically the same as A1 but with multiple servers. Should reduce queue times. The super slow servers have been gone for about a month though.

Don't expect much in terms of gameplay. There isn't much to do and the battles are tediously slow. Not to mention the awful kb/m controls. Supposedly B1 is when all the tester feedback gets added to the game. That'll be the best time to play.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
THANK YOU RAPTOR JESUS

i just got my alpha/beta invite

yesssssssssssss

this summer's poopsock game confirmed, i was getting worried!

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Uh, what does this mean? I got this error while trying to login to the beta site.

You could not log in because the service account in question is not registered.
If you would like to log in to the service, please log in to the Square Enix Account Management System and register the service account.

There is no service account that has anything to do with FFXIV on my S-E account, what :(

faust666

Osaka said:
Uh, what does this mean? I got this error while trying to login to the beta site.

There is no service account that has anything to do with FFXIV on my S-E account, what :(

What date does your email say you can register? My wife had May 28, and I've heard June 2nd and june 7 for others.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
faust said:
What date does your email say you can register? My wife had May 28, and I've heard June 2nd and june 7 for others.

Oh, this?

* The official testers’ site will become available for login on Monday, June 7, 2010.

I thought that it means that there'll be some official site later and this is some temporary site that I could already login into, or whatever :lol

Okay then. Thanks!

thefil

Mine said June 2nd, and as of this morning I was able to log into the tester site and start downloading the client. Should be updating now, unless something went wrong at home.

LaneDS

thefil said:
Mine said June 2nd, and as of this morning I was able to log into the tester site and start downloading the client. Should be updating now, unless something went wrong at home.

Me too! High five, June 2nd buddy.

Download now, listening to 5-7 hours of the same song on loop. Thank god there's no way to mute it! Hrrmf.

Husker86

LaneDS said:
Me too! High five, June 2nd buddy.

Download now, listening to 5-7 hours of the same song on loop. Thank god there's no way to mute it! Hrrmf.

Mute the application from the volume control in your taskbar area :D

ronito said:
PC. My PC will kick the crap out of the PS3, graphics-wise. And I don't have a television in my room, so it's an even easier choice.

Fox the Sly

Got my invite. June 7th can't come fast enough. ; ;

This gives me plenty of time to continue to camp Mee Deggi the Punisher and raise my 0/25 failure rate though!

LaneDS

Husker86 said:
Mute the application from the volume control in your taskbar area :D

Hah, good idea. I just muted everything and have evac'd the PC for a few hours. Also worked.

I need to read up on the NDA, I want to share with GAF but of course don't want to get myself in any trouble either.

Khrno

Kagari said:
I'm... not in! D:

Shouldn't worry, this is still the same Alpha build. The real Beta (new build) won't start until at least July, and then everyone else (not just long-time FFXI players) will get invites too.

Ceebs

Wow...just got in, although I got a June 7th start date. I guess I should read up on the game some since I have seen a few screens and then just wrote it off as "it will be ages before that comes out."

Arzehn

Man, at this rate the client isn't going to finish before the start date.

Wow...just got in, although I got a June 7th start date. I guess I should read up on the game some since I have seen a few screens and then just wrote it off as "it will be ages before that comes out."

I didn't realize there's different start dates... says alpha players can play on June 3rd for me.

LaneDS

Khrno said:
Shouldn't worry, this is still the same Alpha build. The real Beta (new build) won't start until at least July, and then everyone else (not just long-time FFXI players) will get invites too.

For reference, the account I got in on was definitely not the account of a long-time XI player. I don't think that has any bearing on who they picked.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Khrno said:

July, eh. I guess we'll probably hear the details on that at E3 then.

Ceebs

So is there a way to use the patch torrent files in your torrent app of choice? It's giving me access denied errors when I try and this updater is moving at a crawl.

Teknoman

I wonder if there is a point to me updating the client, especially if I get picked for the beta phase and have to download a new client.

Khrno

LaneDS said:
For reference, the account I got in on was definitely not the account of a long-time XI player. I don't think that has any bearing on who they picked.

Really? Well that gives me hope and makes me sad at the same time then :lol

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Teknoman said:
I wonder if there is a point to me updating the client, especially if I get picked for the beta phase and have to download a new client.

I thought alpha testers are automatically in beta?

Teknoman

Osaka said:
I thought alpha testers are automatically in beta?

They are. Plus I guess since the updater seems to work like a torrent, the more people with the files, the faster it'll download for others, right?

Top Bottom