• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

gillty

Banned
An interesting bottleneck appeared w/ my system

Q6600, Radeon HD4890, 4GB ram, Win7 x64

1080p bench on random

First run: q6600 @ 2.4GHz

Second run: q6600 @ 2.7GHz
2504 (60% increase)

Third run: q6600 @ 3.0GHz

edit 720p:
2.4Ghz: 3639, 3GHz: 4042

Wallach

Valru said:
An interesting bottleneck appeared w/ my system

Q6600, Radeon HD4890, 4GB ram, Win7 x64

1080p bench on random

First run: q6600 @ 2.4GHz

Second run: q6600 @ 2.7GHz
2504 (160% increase)

Third run: q6600 @ 3.0GHz

I actually had a very strange first result too. The one I posted originally was at stock clocks and was like 3,790 or something like that. When I OC'd back to what I normally ran, it went up to the second score I posted (4,3xx). However, when I put the clocks back to stock speed and ran a third test (because I felt it was really unlikely the CPU was being worked so hard in this benchmark looking at CPU usage), I got something like 4,150.

Feep

Banned
I have a 30-minute private hands-on tomorrow, and then a 30-minute roundtable Q&A, and then a free automatic beta code because fuck you my life is awesome.

But I'll pay it forward with detailed impressions.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Feep said:
I have a 30-minute private hands-on tomorrow, and then a 30-minute roundtable Q&A, and then a free automatic beta code because fuck you my life is awesome.

I am truly jealous, sir.

Teknoman

Feep said:

Damn lucky man...

Feep

Banned
Kagari said:
I am truly jealous, sir.
I'll see what I can't do for you, Kag. There is *no one* better than me at conning free shit out of people, and I've been quietly aware of your struggle to obtain access.

No promises, but I'll try.

Everyone else no shut up sorry.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Feep said:
I'll see what I can't do for you, Kag. There is *no one* better than me at conning free shit out of people, and I've been quietly aware of your struggle to obtain access.

<3

cress2000

2guflfb.jpg

1920x1080
HIS Radeon HD 5850 OCed to 775/1125 (maxed in CCC)
8GB RAM
40GB Intel X25-V SSD
Could have sworn my CPU was OCed to 3.6GHz; dunno what happened.

Running damn well here. Haven't played an MMO since Ragnarok Online ~7 years ago. Thinking about giving this one a shot.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
blah.jpg

Hmm, guess it might be about time to put in a card, and stop using the cheap POS that came with the computer :lol

Nakazato

Feep said:

if you get to ask a question could u ask about the progress of the ps3 version plz :)

somesang

2333 on high.
Tried to snip a shot, but accidentally clicked it away :(
Running i5 @2.67
HD5770
4gigs RAM

Looked smooth and sexy most of the way, sure an overclock'll do the trick. Bring on the open beta.

gillty

Banned
bloggers should get zero access to these games, this preview is almost on the same level as the destructoid blogger that flipped the new 360 slim and then blamed microsoft for not fixing the problem when the disk was destroyed... :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Got a good score. I wouldn't put too much into your scores on this thing. It's a benchmark of a wildly incomplete game that may not make its release this year (and probably shouldn't). FFXI's benchmark was bad as well.

Edit: Uh, get off the blogger's back. It was a guided demo at a major expo. Again, not the best place to show off the game and it's not the guy's fault SE are idiots when it comes to that sort of thing. Why in the world would you have journals fetch pages from a book at E3? Really?

notworksafe

I love how you guys are freaking out about the Joystiq bit. You should blame Square for showing him an old version of the game. Nothing the guy wrote was wrong. The combat is slow and the interface is clunky. If Square has so improved the game in the Beta, then show people that.

Kyoufu

2644 on high but I'm still playing this on PS3 primarily.

I'll buy the PC version for times when I need to use the PS3 for other games.

Maxirugi

Lonestar said:
Hmm, guess it might be about time to put in a card, and stop using the cheap POS that came with the computer :lol

You could try overclocking your Q8200 too. I clocked mine around 2.8Ghz with no troubles and it gave me quite a performance boost in games.

ffbench.jpg

Run on high settings with a HD 4890

notworksafe said:
I love how you guys are freaking out about the Joystiq bit. You should blame Square for showing him an old version of the game. Nothing the guy wrote was wrong. The combat is slow and the interface is clunky. If Square has so improved the game in the Beta, then show people that.

He was playing the beta. The Stamina system is not implemented in alpha.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How much of a bad idea would it be for me to get it for PS3? I don't think I'll be upgrading my PC soon. I guess I need a USB mouse and keyboard and that's it?

Kyoufu

Ether_Snake said:
How much of a bad idea would it be for me to get it for PS3? I don't think I'll be upgrading my PC soon. I guess I need a USB mouse and keyboard and that's it?

If we go by FFXI, it'll be an MMO designed for console gamers, so you'll only need a USB keyboard as it'll be controller-centric.

notworksafe

Pai Pai Master said:
He was playing the beta. The Stamina system is not implemented in alpha.
I had assumed he meant the combat gauge or whatever that stupid thing is called that makes the combat so slow in Alpha. Plus he specifically calls it an alpha build.

notworksafe said:
I had assumed he meant the combat gauge or whatever that stupid thing is called that makes the combat so slow in Alpha. Plus he specifically calls it an alpha build.

Each attack requires a set amount of Stamina, which slowly recovers as the battle goes on.

Stamina is not present in Alpha version. He's misinformed.

Mandoric

Banned
2487 on high, nice and far smoother than ffxibench was all those years ago :lol Can't wait to play this.

Cimarron said:
Still no 360 version? :( I have a PS3 but most of my friends are on Live. *sobs*

The good news is that all the versions can play with each other. The bad news is that that's a major part of why there isn't a 360 one.

notworksafe

Pai Pai Master said:
Stamina is not present in Alpha version. He's misinformed.
Sounds like that's on Square. They are really bad at saying the game is in both Alpha and Beta interchangeably. Either way I'm looking forward to the real Beta. The game is really awful right now and I'm hoping the Beta improves that. The combat still looks slow, but I can't really know until I use it myself.

Also, those who get bad scores on the benchmark, don't worry. My laptop gets awful scores, but plays the Alpha without a problem.

Cimarron said:
Still no 360 version? :( I have a PS3 but most of my friends are on Live. *sobs*
Tell them to play it on PC. If they can't even do that odds are they wouldn't play FFXIV for very long anyway.

Mandoric said:
The good news is that all the versions can play with each other. The bad news is that that's a major part of why there isn't a 360 one.
Are we sure that's the reason? Pretty schizophrenic online policy if so, it's not like people aren't playing FFXI on their PS3s.

LowParry

notworksafe said:
The combat still looks slow, but I can't really know until I use it myself.

Woah wait. If you've seen Alpha combat compared to the new combat, it's vastly improved in speed.

notworksafe

I've not only seen Alpha combat, but played it in many tests. Beta may be faster then Alpha, but it's still slow.

EDIT: Like I said, it's hard to tell with just the one video that's out there. I am more interested in higher level combat in groups since that's where most of the time will be spent. I'm thinking the speed will be better for doing something like that, but looks slow while fighting solo.

careksims

Dammit I forgot to screencap my score, but it was around 2100 on High. I am pleased
though to see it running that well. Very pleased.

Nvidia GTX 260 on 1920x1080
CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 3100 MHz (9 x 344)
Win 7

I'm missing the old Mithra look though ;_;

Khrno

notworksafe said:
I've not only seen Alpha combat, but played it in many tests. Beta may be faster then Alpha, but it's still slow.

It looked to me just as fast as non-hasted 1 handed character in FFXI, which at least is the neutral point. So if you consider what haste can do to the beta combat system, I'm sure it might be just as good, I mean, fast as XI.

Kyoufu

SimpleDesign said:
Are we sure that's the reason? Pretty schizophrenic online policy if so, it's not like people aren't playing FFXI on their PS3s.

That is not the reason at all. MS were willing to let cross-platform play with FFXI. I don't see why it would be different with FFXIV.

My money is on money itself. Sony probably struck a time-exclusive deal or something. Who knows.

notworksafe

Khrno said:
It looked to me just as fast as non-hasted 1 handed character in FFXI, which at least is the neutral point. So if you consider what haste can do to the beta combat system, I'm sure it might be just as good, I mean, fast as XI.
I'm hoping so. Just want Beta to come out already so I can try it! It's hard to be interested in Alpha tests when I have already seen how much better Beta looks

Top Bottom