• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Teknoman

rvdh4y.jpg

Spriggan
They inhabit a wide range of lands, such as La Noscea, Tinolka (*unsure of spelling), and parts of Thanalan around Ul’dah and are seldom found alone. They are about three fulms (approx. 1m) tall. Spriggans draw their power from stones, and the type of rock they carry can define their abilities and personalities. They dislike unnecessary fights.

10s6p9c.jpg

Drake
Fearsome creatures, they will travel surprisingly far distances in search of prey. They measure about eighteen fulms (over 5m) from head to tail. Drakes can be found infesting each region of Eorzea and slay their foes with lightning breath and sweeps of their spiked tails. The scales covering their entire body are as hard as rock, and there are even anecdotes of steel swords breaking upon trying to pierce the more elderly of the species.

33l19ip.jpg

Megalocrab
They can be found in large populations along the coasts of La Noscea. The shell is as tall as the average Midland Hyur. When worse comes to worst, megalocrabs will use their shell as an iron wall of defense. They can even use bubbles of digestive enzymes as weapons when needed. While there are those that enjoy a brisk battle, there are also those that do not. It is rumored that depends on the tides, but that has yet to be confirmed. Green megalocrabs prefer solitude over their red counterparts, which make use of their strong claws, or snippers.

i6gkg2.jpg

Bomb
They inhabit dry regions such as La Noscea, Thanalan and Coerthas. Upon finding a living creature, they attack using sparks and attempt to char everything indiscriminately. They measure one fulm, a little larger than the average Hyur’s head. They gradually expand, and there are some eyewitness reports of them reaching the size of a small mountain. It is even said that an entire village was once blown off the map by one.

10nff51.jpg

Goobbue
They live in the inner regions of La Noscea. Their anatomy is still cloaked in mystery, but it is known they boast an astounding lung capacity and can be dangerous if one gets too close and angers them. They have a symbiotic relationship with the moss the grow on their heads and will supposedly water it during dry seasons. Aside from acting as camouflage, the moss can also act as emergency rations for the goobbue. They are about twenty fulms (or 6m) tall.

1t8w7n.jpg

Apkallu
They make their homes in La Noscea on the shores near Limsa Lominsa. They are relatively timid. They have the ability to adjust the causticity of their stomach acid at will and typically use it when feeding their young. They stand approximately three fulms (just shy of 1m) tall.

qqwu8x.jpg

Funguar
They inhabit the area of Tinolka (the Black Shroud) near Gridania as well as the wooded regions of Coerthas. They release a large amount of spores, which are said to have a variety of negative effects if came in contact with. Funguar can be eaten depending on how it seasoned; fresh samples make for soft, juicy and extremely delicious dishes.

2ag6zxh.jpg

Salamander
They can be found near water in La Noscea and Tinolka and also like dark and damp underground areas. They also house an electricity-producing organ in their throat. They become a predatorial beast to be feared when their bellies are not full, and there are records of one swallowing a whole Lalafell in one bite. It measures in lengthwise at 22 fulms (over 6m).

B-Dex

belvedere said:
Fuck you Square Enix newsletter. I've been fooled for the 37th time.

Well if it's any consolation, the email saying you did get into Beta sounds like a rejection letter. :lol

Teknoman

Xux said:
Yeah, hopefully all of these unique monster designs will shut up all of the people whining that the two games look similar.

As long as we actually have the chance to get good exp off them...or every monster. Only thing I dont like about XI is that "good exp" excludes like...80% of the enemies in the game. I'm an FF fan first and MMO fan second, so I want to be able to exp off everything :D

Integra

Neo Member
has anyone tried filling out the app to be part of the beta? how the hell does that work? when I tried, and selected the PS3 as my choice, it said I needed a 20 digit code from FFXIII. wth? o_O

Xux

Integra said:
has anyone tried filling out the app to be part of the beta? how the hell does that work? when I tried, and selected the PS3 as my choice, it said I needed a 20 digit code from FFXIII. wth? o_O

To apply for the PS3 beta now you have to have bought one of the first run copies of FFXIII, registered it on Square-Enix Members, and then use the code they provide after you register on the beta application.

Teknoman said:
As long as we actually have the chance to get good exp off them...or every monster. Only thing I dont like about XI is that "good exp" excludes like...80% of the enemies in the game. I'm an FF fan first and MMO fan second, so I want to be able to exp off everything :D

Yeah, since you can't fix player base, they better make every option obviously viable.

Plywood said:
It this good/acceptable? I have no idea.

http://imgur.com/0yezy.jpg

1500 seems to be the cut off for "your rig sucks and you need to upgrade everything."

http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/media/benchmark/na/index.html

Zomba13

This is what I got on High.
ff14bench.png

Ran perfectly hough the final product should run better as 1080p is too big for my monitor (1680x1050) and I plan on running it windowed at a lower res anyway. Would have liked to see how it ran full screen at my native res so I could try out 3D on it. Going to have to wait for release for that now then.

EDIT: Results at the low setting:
ff14benchlow.png

Swag

Has anyone actually gotten something in the range of a 7000+?

I got 2507 on 1080p and a 3674 at 720p.

Core 15 750 @ 2.67 and a Radeon HD 4890. Was expecting higher

Zozobra

Sebulon3k said:
Has anyone actually gotten something in the range of a 7000+?

I got 2507 on 1080p and a 3674 at 720p.

Core 15 750 @ 2.67 and a Radeon HD 4890. Was expecting higher

I've got a Phenom II X4 @ 3.0 with a Radeon HD4870 and my results were the same as yours. I, too, was expecting to score a bit better, but whatevs.

This game is going to own my life when it comes out, I was rather enjoying having one since quitting WoW.

Salaadin

Zozobra said:
I've got a Phenom II X4 @ 3.0 with a Radeon HD4870 and my results were the same as yours. I, too, was expecting to score a bit better, but whatevs.

This game is going to own my life when it comes out, I was rather enjoying having one since quitting WoW.

This is my worry too. Im MMO free for over a year and I like actually doing stuff outside now. I dont know whats going to happen :(

gillty

Banned
Salaadin said:
This is my worry too. Im MMO free for over a year and I like actually doing stuff outside now. I dont know whats going to happen :(
It makes me sad that his shit actually impacts peoples lives to the point where they dont like going outside.

Salaadin

Valru said:
It makes me sad that his shit actually impacts peoples lives to the point where they dont like going outside.
I never said that I don't like going outside. Its just that these games hook me sometimes to the point where I will end up taking a few nights off from my real life :p

Integra

Neo Member
Xux said:
To apply for the PS3 beta now you have to have bought one of the first run copies of FFXIII, registered it on Square-Enix Members, and then use the code they provide after you register on the beta application.

>.> damnit. -sighs- oh well. is it the same thing with the PC?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/closed-xbox-live-blocked-ffxiv

Final Fantasy XIV Online creator and director Hiromichi Tanaka has told Eurogamer that a "closed" Xbox Live blocked the game from appearing on Xbox 360.

"The main reason why we couldn't go with Xbox 360 was the Xbox Live system," he explained at E3. "[Live is] different to the normal internet environment, so when we wanted to introduce this game in the same environment as Windows PC it had to be PS3, so that was our choice.

"Microsoft has a different point of view: they want to have a closed environment for Xbox Live. We're still talking to... We couldn't come to an agreement on Xbox Live."

Square Enix number-one Yoichi Wada told GamesIndustry.biz a similar story; he said what he'd like to see "first and foremost" was a network structure that allowed third parties to "freely design different business schemes".

Final Fantasy XIV won't be the first MMO snagged by the closed nature of a console's online service . Cryptic chucked in the towel on an Xbox 360 version of Champions Online earlier this year. Producer Craig Zinkievich told Eurogamer he was frustrated with the business side of getting an MMO on Xbox Live; the game itself, he said, ran just fine.

Ironically, Final Fantasy XI remains one of the only MMOs to be offered on Xbox 360.

Final Fantasy XIV Online is in development for PC and PS3.

Integra

Neo Member
hmmmm. I'm gonna have to look at the form again. I'm wondering whether or not to be part of the beta for the PC. I wanna try this game out, but I know the controls would be hard for me to get used to :p

LaneDS

hteng said:
no chance of XIV appearing on 360 ?

I still think eventually they'll come to an agreement. Seems a little silly that XI was allowed, but XIV won't be. All parties involved would make more money, so I'd be surprised if it doesn't show up on 360 eventually.

LaneDS said:
I still think eventually they'll come to an agreement. Seems a little silly that XI was allowed, but XIV won't be. All parties involved would make more money, so I'd be surprised if it doesn't show up on 360 eventually.

well, there are rumors that they changed the policies later on so FFXI was unaffected by it.
It also involves MS being MS by wanting to have a chunk of the subscription fees income.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/03/24/news-Why-Can_2700_t-MMOs-Release-on-360.aspx

Several anonymous sources in the development community over the last two years have communicated to Game Informer that the continuing absence of MMOs on the 360 comes down to a disagreement between developers and Microsoft over subscription fees. If these reports are to be believed, Microsoft has often sought significant chunks of the subscription costs that MMOs utilize to maintain and profit off of an MMO. The same sources have indicated that Final Fantasy XI, the one exception to the 360 MMO draught, was implemented prior to these new subscription fee policies by Microsoft.

Maybe they now also don't allow mp with PS3 players or other consoles in general, seeing the cross-platform plans of Valve for Portal 2 on PS3/PC/Mac but not for the 360 (though I guess that's more due to Steam).

Teknoman

Integra said:
hmmmm. I'm gonna have to look at the form again. I'm wondering whether or not to be part of the beta for the PC. I wanna try this game out, but I know the controls would be hard for me to get used to :p

Kandinsky

Valru said:
irrelevant, almost guaranteed that eventually SE will use the "PS3 limitations" line
Just think about all the reskinned/half assed/shitty implemented/not instanced stuff we will start getting in 3-4 years, cant wait!

hteng

Banned
i like the improvement to combat pace, it's much faster and more interactive, one of FFXI's problem is the weapon delays, it's very off putting in the early levels and abilities sucked.

looks like we'll have lots of abilities to play around with :)

Munba

From ffxivcore:

Destroying body parts
By damaging or destroying a monster’s body parts or an enemy’s weapon during battle, a few things can happen. In some cases, they will be unable to use certain special attacks, the number of items dropped will increase, or the drop rate for certain items will increase.

Nice addition.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
New parts of the game:

Market ward

Market wards are dedicated districts where adventurers can meet to buy and sell goods, or even summon a retainer to operate a bazaar in their stead. Each city-state has a markets ward composed of twenty identical areas that players may enter and leave at their leisure. Even if you exit the ward or log out of the game completely, your retainer will staunchly continue to peddle your wares.

Retainers
Retainers are useful NPCs who provide invaluable support in your adventuring endeavors. They can be employed on an extendable contract basis to perform myriad tasks such as minding your items and money or operating bazaars, just to name a few. Players may hire the services of a retainer at the Drowning Wench-the Adventurers’ Guild’s base of operations-in Limsa Lominsa.

To call upon a retainer, take your character near to one of several summoning bells located in each city-state. Once there, select the Retainer command from the system menu.

*During the Beta Test, employing a retainer will not incur a fee.

Logging and Harvesting
Members of the Botanists’ Guild will find that they are able to engage in either of two activities-logging, made possible through use of a botanist’s primary tools, and harvesting, made possible by secondary tools. Please be aware that even with botanist as the active class, a player will not be able to harvest without the proper secondary tool equipped.

How to Log
1. Use the Arbor Call ability to search for nearby mature trees.
2. Follow the Arbor Call results to approach a mature tree, and select the Log option when it appears in the system menu.
3. The logging process will now begin.
4. Excessive logging will result in a player becoming temporarily unable to log the same point.

How to Harvest
1. Approach a spot of lush vegetation to bring up the Harvest option in the system menu. Select it to begin the harvesting process.
2. Should an item be extracted from the lush vegetation, be sure to search again, as there is very likely to be another harvestable spot nearby. If a player is unable to procure an item, the point will remain and may be harvested again.
3. Excessive harvesting will result in a player becoming temporarily unable to harvest in the immediate vicinity.

Guildleves
- There are several types of regional guildleves available to botanists. Select Fieldcraft Leves when speaking with Piralnaut to bring up a list of guildleves specially tailored for Disciples of the Land.

Top Bottom