• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Teknoman

Expanded info from earlier:

Stats used in Beta

* HP, MP, and TP, which were raised by physical bonus points in the alpha, will now go up automatically.
* Strength, Vitality, Dexterity, Mind, Intelligence, and Piety will be raised by physical bonus points.
* Fire, Ice, Wind, Earth, Lightning, and Water elemental properties will be raised by elemental bonus
* Agility, Charisma, and Luck have been scrapped
* Physical and elemental bonus points will be earned when physical level raises.

Destroying body parts
By damaging or destroying a monster’s body parts or an enemy’s weapon during battle, a few things can happen. In some cases, they will be unable to use certain special attacks, the number of items dropped will increase, or the drop rate for certain items will increase.

Actions must be set to the main- or sub-weapon

* The action bar has been increased to 30 slots. Each action has an action cost which is used when set to the action bar, and even if you still have slots left in your action bar, you cannot go over your action cost.
* Actions must be set to the main- or sub-weapon. For example, phalanx, a move related to the shield, will most likely need to be set to the shield in your sub-weapon slot.
* There are three pages of slots for actions, for a total of 30 slots.
* There is a page of 10 slots for special class characteristics.
* There is a page of 10 slots for crafting abilities.

LowParry

Teknoman said:
Destroying body parts
By damaging or destroying a monster’s body parts or an enemy’s weapon during battle, a few things can happen. In some cases, they will be unable to use certain special attacks, the number of items dropped will increase, or the drop rate for certain items will increase.

Make it happen SE! Make it happen!

rap06b.jpg

Azrael

Valru said:
irrelevant, almost guaranteed that eventually SE will use the "PS3 limitations" line

And if there's no PS3 version, there's the "less subscribers = less revenue to produce new content" limitation.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Azrael said:
And if there's no PS3 version, there's the "less subscribers = less revenue to produce new content" limitation.

Negative. They will use what they're doing for FFXI. Paid mini-xpacs.

Let me in

Just ran the benchmark, game ran fine and I got a ~2600.

This was on a stock (non-OC'd) Q6600 and a 8800GT. These parts seem to be holding up quite well.

Swag

Have they mentioned much about what the end game is going to be like? I imagine we'll see a return of things like Dynamis, Salvage?

Sebulon3k said:
Have they mentioned much about what the end game is going to be like? I imagine we'll see a return of things like Dynamis, Salvage?

Don't think we'll hear anything about that stuff until after launch. That kinda content probably won't even be available until a few months later.

vesp

Has there been mention of any pvp at all? I love MMOs but I gotta be able to kill people with all that stuff that takes so long to grind for!

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
vesp said:
Has there been mention of any pvp at all? I love MMOs but I gotta be able to kill people with all that stuff that takes so long to grind for!

I dont think there will be PvP in the game, or maybe like FFXI

jiggle

vesp said:

the official word is "not at launch" iirc
so in another word
nevarr

Swag

Pai Pai Master said:
Don't think we'll hear anything about that stuff until after launch. That kinda content probably won't even be available until a few months later.

I guess this makes sense, noone will be able to access it from the start anyway. Hopefully they fix the problems from FFXI!

Billen said:
Getting 100 below yours with half the amount of CPU cores and only one 5800 card ;)

I was running Open Hardware Monitor and realized my CPU rarely hit over 60% for this benchmark but my 4770 GPU hit 99% quite a bit. Even after the bios update forced me to drop my overclock down to 3.0Ghz I ended up with a boost in performance. This game is obviously very GPU intensive which is a good thing IMO. That leaves room for surfing the net, chat, skype, etc while you are playing the game.

Pachinko

Well it's safe to say that should I want to play this game my pc can run it no problem.

Test result on low mode
ffxivlow.jpg

Test result on high mode
ffxivhigh.jpg

To bad I couldn't figure a way to get either of them to run outside of windowed, 1080 HIGH looks plenty fine and I'd get some free downsampling (I'm on a pretty standard 16:10 monitor running 1680X1050 resolution).

It should be noted that in order to avoid the crash on boot issue I first updated direct X , no effect really, then I had to reluctantly update my video drivers from the standard 10.2 that win7 deems good enough to the crapshoot that may be 10.6, well it ran the benchmark so I'm happy but on that same note I hope it doesn't kill my video card like the last time I updated my drivers...

I have a little wishlist for the PS3 client:

- play w/o the disc
either downloadable version or include an one-time-use code on the back of the game's manual to download a "no-cd"-key from the store for free. It's possible this game will be a full mandatory install anyway.

- XMB-screenshots
but they will probably only allow no-hud low res screenshots again, if at all giving SEs latest policies.

- video-recording & youtube-uploading
(if they must, w/o chat windows etc.)

- XMB custom music

- (optional) proximity voicechat and party voice chat
(even if XMB CGVC is released by then)

- Remote Play to allow you to manage at least basic things while you're not at home (check the auction house etc.)

yes, I know I'll be disappointed.

oneHeero

SolidusDave said:
I have a little wishlist for the PS3 client:

- play w/o the disc
either downloadable version or include an one-time-use code on the back of the game's manual to download a "no-cd"-key from the store for free. It's possible this game will be a full mandatory install anyway.

- XMB-screenshots
but they will probably only allow no-hud low res screenshots again, if at all giving SEs latest policies.

- video-recording & youtube-uploading
(if they must, w/o chat windows etc.)

- XMB custom music

- (optional) proximity voicechat and party voice chat
(even if XMB CGVC is released by then)

- Remote Play to allow you to manage at least basic things while you're not at home (check the auction house etc.)

yes, I know I'll be disappointed.

I swear if they had remote play added I'd by a psp asap. No hesitation whatsoever. Imagine being able to access the AH at anytime? Being able to craft/garden with no restrictions like not being near a pc. so good.

Sacha

Heads up for French GAF : Square Enix will be giving out 2000 beta keys at the Japan Expo (which starts on Thursday). They will ask for your email and do a drawing afterwards. :D

Coldsnap

Has the beta phase started? I got a invite last week but the alpha was over. I cannot log into their beta site at the moment. Anyone else having trouble?

Coldsnap said:
Has the beta phase started? I got a invite last week but the alpha was over. I cannot log into their beta site at the moment. Anyone else having trouble?

No, and from what I've read, the beta website will be undergoing maintenance until Thursday.

Just for kicks, before I put in the 5770, I thought I'd try out my integrated 4200 graphics chip using 528MB of ram.

I was very surprised.:lol
9t36si.png

Kinda had me worried something was wrong with my motherboard but, the computer runs fine. I'm guessing it's because I run my monitor at 1920x1200 @85hz and the demo is windowed at 720p.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
MidgarBlowedUp said:
Just for kicks, before I put in the 5770, I thought I'd try out my integrated 4200 graphics chip using 528MB of ram.

I was very surprised.:lol
9t36si.png

Kinda had me worried something was wrong with my motherboard but, the computer runs fine. I'm guessing it's because I run my monitor at 1920x1200 @85hz and the demo is windowed at 720p.

Or maybe it's the integrated 4200 graphics chip using 528mb of ram? :lol

cruets

just got this from amazon

"As someone who has purchased Final Fantasy products or MMO role-playing games at Amazon.com, you might like to know that you can now order the Final Fantasy XIV Collector's Edition for the PC and play it on day one (and a full six days before the standard edition is released) with Release-Date Delivery."

butsomuch

Final Fantasy XIV dated
PC version hitting European shelves on September 22nd; PS3 SKU arriving March 2011

Square Enix has announced that the PC Collector’s Edition version of MMO Final Fantasy XIV will be released in Europe on September 22nd. The standard SKU will hit retail on September 30th.

The PS3 version of the game will not be released until March 2011, with pricing to be announced at a later date.

The PC Collector’s Edition includes a behind-the-scenes DVD, a special branded security token, a FFXIV branded tumbler, map, a travel journal including concept art, the Onion Helm in-game item, a 30-day free trial period for the game and a pass that allows a guest to play for free for a limited time.

The monthly subscription fee will be £8.99 (€12.99) with additional characters available for £2.10 (€3.00) a month. A maximum of eight characters can be registered on any one account.

Each account is eligible for one free retainer (a non-playable character that maintains item sales and storage when users are logged out) with each additional retainer costing £0.70 (€1.00).

A beta version of the PC game will go live some time in early July. It will become available to pre-order with key retailers at some point today. Those who pre-order will receive another in-game freebie – a pair of Garlond Goggles that increases the speed at which characters progress.

Those who register their FFXIII Campaign Codes will receive the Asuran Armguards DLC, an extra that improves the effectiveness of tools.

“This September, players around the world will join together to explore the fascinating and exciting realm of Eorzea,” the game’s executive producer Hiromichi Tanaka stated.

“We’re presenting players with a new style of online gameplay, that we know will please avid fans of online games, but welcome more casual gamers as well with the variety of gameplay and story-driven content.”

The specs for the PC version are as follows: Windows XP/Vista/7, Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz or AMD Athlon X2 2GHz, 2GB of RAM, 15GB HDD space, NVIDIA GeForce 9600 512MB or ATI Radeon HD 2900 512MB and DirectX 9.

September? Wow. Looking forward to it, but didn't they promise an open public beta before launch at some point? Has that been scrapped?

eh..... (at least) 5 months later on PS3, the fuck?

Maybe it's because they want to rush out the PC version as they don't have to fulfil a certain quality level and can release a buggy mess :p

Top Bottom