• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

notworksafe

datamage said:
I doubt that. Other MMORPGs have given early starts to CE buyers or for pre-ordering. The most recent I can remember was EQ2.
APB just did it for their users. I think Star Trek may have as well. Seems pretty common now.

Achtius

notworksafe said:
Ugly cover. At least the CE version is much nicer. And it comes with a cup! A CUP!

[I MG]http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/image358.png[/IMG]

Obviously, the cup isn't for drinking. It's a temporary urine storage apparatus for the addicted.

As far as I've seen they have never said anything about paying gold (gil?) to change your stats. They did say you'd be able to re-allocate them after a certain time period (guessing relatively short, maybe 15-30 minutes?) and that's all they've said. So you guys are arguing about nothing on that front.

$3 for an extra character is kind of ridiculous, and I hope they reconsider just going with $1 like FFXI. Or maybe allow you to have two characters for free and charge $3 for more.

That said, I only ever had one character in FFXI and frankly I loved being able to do literally everything in the game (except maxing all crafts) with a single character. Makes the game more immersive when you build a bond and do everything with the same character.

HappyBivouac said:
As far as I've seen they have never said anything about paying gold (gil?) to change your stats. They did say you'd be able to re-allocate them after a certain time period (guessing relatively short, maybe 15-30 minutes?) and that's all they've said. So you guys are arguing about nothing on that front.

$3 for an extra character is kind of ridiculous, and I hope they reconsider just going with $1 like FFXI. Or maybe allow you to have two characters for free and charge $3 for more.

That said, I only ever had one character in FFXI and frankly I loved being able to do literally everything in the game (except maxing all crafts) with a single character. Makes the game more immersive when you build a bond and do everything with the same character.

You get your main and then one free mule to sell stuff + storage. I think that's more than enough for one person depending on the storage of the 1 mule but yea $3 sucks.

Einbroch said:
Whoa, whoa, wait, is the skill aquiring system like the one in FFIX?

Cause if it is...holy lord yes.

Kinda, yes. All your skills you gain by equipping different types of weapons and increasing your proficiency with them.

Einbroch

Banned
Jeels said:
Cost is a big factor for me, if it costs too much to fix this to where I can play FFXIV, I might HAVE to wait for the PS3 version.
Your graphics card is pretty bad. It's almost the quality of integrated cards these days.

Get a ~$120 graphics card and you should be playable. Your card is the middle range for games like World of Warcraft, a 5 year old game.

Einbroch

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
Did neither of you notice that he has a mobile CPU? That he's probably on a laptop?
Derp.

But back to the point, my computer was built for $450 and it runs the benchmark at a pretty solid 35-40 FPS.

Edit: Nope, you're right. It says Mobile.

Jeels

Einbroch said:
Your graphics card is pretty bad. It's almost the quality of integrated cards these days.

Get a ~$120 graphics card and you should be playable. Your card is the middle range for games like World of Warcraft, a 5 year old game.

Is it really just the card? Will graphics cards improve things like frame rate? That's the biggest problem I was noticing.

Also links perhaps? I'm a complete stranger when it comes to laptop upgrading, I wouldn't know what a good graphics card would be.

Edit: Laptop? You can't play on a laptop? =(?

Chris R

Laptop upgrading usually involves buying a new laptop. Your CPU is holding you back as much as your GPU is.

Either consider buying a new laptop, building a new desktop (can be had for sub $600), or just wait for the PS3 version to come out :|

edit: You can totally play on a laptop, just not that laptop. Well, the game might run at the lowest settings possible, but it wouldn't be a pleasant experience.

Chris R

HappyBivouac said:
Of course you can play on a laptop. But you can't upgrade the graphics card on a laptop.

Can you?
You can, but normally your options are severely limited. Also, the upgrade normally costs a bucketload. Really would make more sense to just get a new laptop if you need to play on a laptop with a good CPU/GPU combo with at least 4GB of ram.

Einbroch

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
Of course you can play on a laptop. But you can't upgrade the graphics card on a laptop.

Can you?
It's not impossible but with the effort, cost, and time involved it's much better to simply buy a new laptop.

Not to mention the inherent risk.

Einbroch said:
It's not impossible but with the effort, cost, and time involved it's much better to simply buy a new laptop.

Not to mention the inherent risk.

His curret machine doesn't even have a dedicated GPU. Absolutely no chance he can upgrade the GPU on that thing since there isn't even one there to upgrade.

If you're after buying a new laptop, read this guide:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3795/mobile-buyers-guide-notebooks-dtrs

Or just build a desktop.

Can someone from alpha/beta or someone that just knows explain to me how class changing will work? We can change on the fly outside of battle, but what happens to stats?

demosthenes said:
Can someone from alpha/beta or someone that just knows explain to me how class changing will work? We can change on the fly outside of battle, but what happens to stats?

Stats are dependent on your Character level (the character your building itself, EXP to raise), not your class level (i.e. the class attached to the weapon you're using, which you raise by using the specific weapon).

Achtius

Coldsnap said:
can someone explain to me what the FFXIII Campaign Codes is?

If you brought the first shipment of FF13, you get a code that you get register for the bonus item.

Edit: BEATEN >_<;;

and noticed you changed you avatar.

I was just looking at the information on a few different websites, and I could be wrong on this but it appears like:

The US version comes with a journal.
The JP version comes with a tumbler.
The EU version comes with both. The item that increases growth is a pre-order bonus for either version in Europe too.

I'm just wondering if this is a bit of miscommunication, or if the CE is actually different in each region. It sounds pretty awesome anyway, so I'll be slapping down a pre-order for the CE whenever I get the chance.

Pai Pai Master said:
Stats are dependent on your Character level (the character your building itself, EXP to raise), not your class level (i.e. the class attached to the weapon you're using, which you raise by using the specific weapon).

So in the short run, we're somewhat stuck to a certain class. But as some have said in the long run we may be able to redistribute stats?

Achtius said:
If you brought the first shipment of FF13, you get a code that you get register for the bonus item.

Edit: BEATEN >_<;;

and noticed you changed you avatar.

Haha, I just noticed b/c you said that, for some reason that's one of the few avatars that I can match to a name, well it was until it was changed. :lol

Einbroch

Banned
The Alchemist Penguin said:
I was just looking at the information on a few different websites, and I could be wrong on this but it appears like:

The US version comes with a journal.
The JP version comes with a tumbler.
The EU version comes with both. The item that increases growth is a pre-order bonus for either version in Europe too.

I'm just wondering if this is a bit of miscommunication, or if the CE is actually different in each region. It sounds pretty awesome anyway, so I'll be slapping down a pre-order for the CE whenever I get the chance.
This isn't the first time that Europe gets the better deal in terms of collector's editions with Square Enix. FFXIII comes to mind.

Personally I'm glad. Our Euro brothers and sisters get hosed a lot, so any perks they get are fine by me.

dabig2

wtf @ March release date for PS3! God damn SE you guys suck. My 5 year laptop isn't near good enough to run the PC version and I have no cash to upgrade. Fuck!

Jeels

dabig2 said:
wtf @ March release date for PS3! God damn SE you guys suck. My 5 year laptop isn't near good enough to run the PC version and I have no cash to upgrade. Fuck!

I'm in the same boat here bro. Waiting on my sister to get home to try her laptop out, but if that doesn't work, looks like I'm waiting until March. PS3 better get the nice looking CE though. If we don't, Square Enix can suck it.

Edit: This blog sums it up nicely.

Keen is a bit disappointed by his low score of 1307 on the official FFXIV benchmark. My computer is only slightly better, at 1890 in high resolution (1920 x 1080) mode, but gets up to a reasonable 3522 in low resolution (1280x720) mode. Too bad the demo doesn't support my main screen's native 1680x1050 resolution. With anything under 2,000 being officially declared as "low performance", it is worrying how many people report that sort benchmark score.

I wonder if Square Enix didn't enter into a bad alliance with Nvidia, from whose site you can download the benchmark. Spreading the word that "your computer is too slow to run this upcoming game" is obviously good for Nvidia, but bad for Square Enix. Unfortunately I have only Nvidia graphics cards, because I'd like to test the theory that the benchmark is optimized for Nvidia cards, and will show a lower score on an ATI card of similar power.

My computer is neither very old, nor was it cheap, so I'd wager that the number of people getting a "high performance" score (4500+) at high resolution is tiny. That is not a good base for a MMORPG, which lives of having a lot of players. World of Warcraft runs on anything, including netbooks, which automatically gives it a far larger potential player base. Keen already says about the benchmark: "this thing has done me a favor by allowing me to know early that I won’t be able to play", and who knows how many people will come to the same conclusion. That can hardly be what Square Enix had in mind when they published that benchmark.

http://tobolds.blogspot.com/2010/06/ffxiv-benchmark.html

demosthenes said:
So in the short run, we're somewhat stuck to a certain class. But as some have said in the long run we may be able to redistribute stats?

It's been mentioned at some point that there should be a way to respec stats. If I had to guess it wouldn't be available until later in the game after a tough quest or something though.

Pai Pai Master said:
It's been mentioned at some point that there should be a way to respec stats. If I had to guess it wouldn't be available until later in the game after a tough quest or something though.

Hmm, that's somewhat upsetting then that they have made alt characters $3 each.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Hopefully I can find a decently priced gaming laptop that can run this... I can't justify getting a desktop when I can't take it with me to studies.

Khrno

Einbroch said:
Personally I'm glad. Our Euro brothers and sisters get hosed a lot, so any perks they get are fine by me.

SE are making up for not releasing Chrono Cross and others here with better Collectors Editions for new games :lol

Einbroch

Banned
The score means shit. Seriously, don't look at the score.

How did it look? Did it run at an acceptable frame rate? Yes? Then toss the score out the window and enjoy the game when it comes out. No? Well, was it a little choppy? Wait and see, or upgrade if you need to upgrade.

I scored just above 2000, the framerate was solid and the graphics looked fantastic. I think I scored so low because every 2-3 seconds the graph would dip way low and my score wouldn't move, but the game continued to run the same as it did the previous 2-3 seconds.

Bottom line? Block out the score and the graph and look at the game.

Jeels

Einbroch said:

How did it look? Did it run at an acceptable frame rate? Yes? Then toss the score out the window and enjoy the game when it comes out. No? Well, was it a little choppy? Wait and see, or upgrade if you need to upgrade.

I scored just above 2000, the framerate was solid and the graphics looked fantastic. I think I scored so low because every 2-3 seconds the graph would dip way low and my score wouldn't move, but the game continued to run the same as it did the previous 2-3 seconds.

I'll keep that in mind when I try out my sister's laptop. The game looked great on mine, it was just at an unplayable framerate. Crossing my fingers here.

I tried running the benchmark a while back and got a missing .dll file and haven't tried since, would re-downloading it most likely fix that?

Jeels said:
I'll keep that in mind when I try out my sister's laptop. The game looked great on mine, it was just at an unplayable framerate. Crossing my fingers here.

Yea, if I can get by on 30fps until November I'll be happy. Hoping to get some Black Friday deals when I build a completely new computer.

Yep seriously, my bench ran at 60fps solid, no frame dips and it looked incredible. Then scored 2500 which is really low according to SE.

Don't pay attention to the score, just look at what you're running and see if you're satisfied with that.

Running it in 720p, still I want to play it in PS3. :( Hopefully you can play with the same character on both PC and PS3 so I can buy the PS3 version when it comes.

4749608891_8c42bceed6_b.jpg

InfiniteNine said:
Hopefully I can find a decently priced gaming laptop that can run this... I can't justify getting a desktop when I can't take it with me to studies.

Again, read this:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3795/mobile-buyers-guide-notebooks-dtrs

Their recommend "budget gaming" notebook is an excellent machine and only costs $750. It'll have no trouble running FF14 in better quality than the the PS3 version:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3332167&SID=

TheFatOne

Einbroch said:

I don't know the highest score I could get was 2400 the first time. Since then it has been between 2000-2100. The framerate was anywhere between 30-45 FPS, and in the boat scene it went to the mid twenties two or three times. The entire scene wasn't smooth, and it stuttered the entire time. This was all on high. When I tried it on low the fps were anywhere between 45-55. On the boat scene it dipped to 35 once. The entire time the video would stutter. I was excited for the game until the benchmark test. Now I am just going to wait and see before I decide to buy the game. Just in case anyone asks my specs for my PC.

Windows 7
GTX 260
E8400 Overclocked to 3.8ghz
4 gigs of RAM

Top Bottom