• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Londa

Banned
Yep, I pre-ordered the CE. Planned to do it in support of 14 cause 11 was so good but these bonuses are even more incentive. Why isn't NA getting the mug and CD?

Teknoman

Londa said:
Yep, I pre-ordered the CE. Planned to do it in support of 14 cause 11 was so good but these bonuses are even more incentive. Why isn't NA getting the mug and CD?

We better...cant have a worldwide release with different items right?

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Pre-ordered my CE copy as well. Futureshop.ca says that it is limited to only 10,000 copies in all of Canada so I hurried to pre-order mine! I don't know if it'll make me quit WOW as FFXI couldn't keep me away from it for more than 2 months, but we'll see! :D

notworksafe

demosthenes said:
Where did you see the FPS?

I wanted to wait to upgrade until November. If I just upgraded my video card now would I probably be alright until a full upgrade in November?
I just used FRAPS while running it. It keeps a frame count in the corner.

LowParry

Yeah, i did a fraps check. Averaged out to 64 fps through the whole thing. Lowest I ever saw it go down was down to about 52-53 but it stayed above 60 almost the entire time. After several tests and tweaking, I get same score of 3750.

Specs:

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
Phenom II 940 3.0 BE (Quad)
Sapphire Toxic 5850 1 Gig

The benchmark scores I don't get. I think they're entirely wrong. I bet I could run the game with at least 80% of full settings going on.

Einbroch

Banned
CcrooK said:
Yeah, i did a fraps check. Averaged out to 64 fps through the whole thing. Lowest I ever saw it go down was down to about 52-53 but it stayed above 60 almost the entire time. After several tests and tweaking, I get same score of 3750.

Specs:

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
Phenom II 940 3.0 BE (Quad)
Sapphire Toxic 5850 1 Gig

The benchmark scores I don't get. I think they're entirely wrong. I bet I could run the game with at least 80% of full settings going on.
Yeah, the scores are stupid. Complete fail on SE's part especially considering that people are basing their decision of whether or not to play the game based on a number that is so wildly off.

Einbroch said:
Yeah, the scores are stupid. Complete fail on SE's part especially considering that people are basing their decision of whether or not to play the game based on a number that is so wildly off.

The benchmark is just a canned cutscene of small areas and limited numbers of NPC actors. Compared with the real game which will be rendering large areas with potentially hundreds of people at the same time, I would think the scores are actually quite accurate and our computers are all going to explode at the same time on September 22nd, 2010. :lol

Einbroch

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
The benchmark is just a canned cutscene of small areas and limited numbers of NPC actors. Compared with the real game which will be rendering large areas with potentially hundreds of people at the same time, I would think the scores are actually quite accurate and our computers are all going to explode at the same time on September 22nd, 2010. :lol
The benchmark is fine, but the scores are bull. Apparently I need to upgrade my computer even though my framerate hardly ever dipped below 40 FPS on high. :lol

Einbroch said:
The score means shit. Seriously, don't look at the score.

How did it look? Did it run at an acceptable frame rate? Yes? Then toss the score out the window and enjoy the game when it comes out. No? Well, was it a little choppy? Wait and see, or upgrade if you need to upgrade.

I scored just above 2000, the framerate was solid and the graphics looked fantastic. I think I scored so low because every 2-3 seconds the graph would dip way low and my score wouldn't move, but the game continued to run the same as it did the previous 2-3 seconds.

Bottom line? Block out the score and the graph and look at the game.

Huh, good to know. I got around 1100 on my year old laptop but it looked playable. Might still build a cheap gaming desktop.

Einbroch

Banned
AtomskEater said:
Huh, good to know. I got around 1100 on my year old laptop but it looked playable. Might still build a cheap gaming desktop.
Shadows are the most draining component of any game, especially MMOs.

WoW runs smoother for me with all the settings turned up to max and shadows on low than all the settings on the low with the shadows all the way up. PC games are made to tweak settings.

Mandoric

Banned
Einbroch said:
The benchmark is fine, but the scores are bull. Apparently I need to upgrade my computer even though my framerate hardly ever dipped below 40 FPS on high. :lol

FFXI is single-threaded and heavily CPU-dependent, which hurts, but can still crawl down into the teens in crowded areas. And it has PS2-quality models.

Edit: In the teens on a system that ranks a solid 2500@1080p in the bench.

Remember, the system rating numbers are going to stay even for the next decade. By the time we get ff17 or ff20, your $500 gaming box from '09 is going to be nearly trash. :lol

Ravidrath

The cutscene in the benchmark looked great, but I only got a 1600 or so... clearly this is not the most representative thing they could find.

That said, the alpha was playable. Could've been better, but it was playable. Will an endgame event with tons of people and monsters work? That could be a different matter.

Also... I seem to recall the benchmark programs for FFXI giving people the wrong impressions about performance, too? In the sense that people who got "your system barely makes the cut" could actually play the game fine.

With today's announcement I have been laptop shopping, so I need PC GAF to step in and let me know if this Asus will be adequate.

Asus - Laptop with Intel® Core™ i5 Processor

Processor
Intel® Core™ i5

Processor Speed
2.26GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 2.53GHz )

Battery Type
6-cell lithium-ion

Display Type
Widescreen LED-backlit LCD (1366 x 768)

Screen Size (Measured Diagonally)
16"

System Bus
1066MHz

Cache Memory
3MB on die Level 2

System Memory (RAM)
4GB

System Memory (RAM) Expandable To
8GB

Type of Memory (RAM)
DDR3

Hard Drive Type
SATA (7200 rpm)

Computer Hard Drive Size
500GB

Optical Drive
Double-layer DVD±RW

Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M

Video Memory
1GB GDDR5

Networking
Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps (RJ-45 connector)

Wireless Networking
Wireless-B+G+N

FFXIV isn't WoW. I would strongly suggest building or buying a desktop for playing this game, especially if you find you need to upgrade down the road.

NeoForte

Ok screw getting the benchmark to work. I'll find out how well the game runs when/if I ever make the beta. If not then release lol. I'm pretty confident my iMac i7 27" can run the game just fine....I hope heh.

Raelson

Classic_Gs said:
With today's announcement I have been laptop shopping, so I need PC GAF to step in and let me know if this Asus will be adequate.

Asus - Laptop with Intel® Core™ i5 Processor

Processor
Intel® Core™ i5

Processor Speed
2.26GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 2.53GHz )

Battery Type
6-cell lithium-ion

Display Type
Widescreen LED-backlit LCD (1366 x 768)

Screen Size (Measured Diagonally)
16"

System Bus
1066MHz

Cache Memory
3MB on die Level 2

System Memory (RAM)
4GB

System Memory (RAM) Expandable To
8GB

Type of Memory (RAM)
DDR3

Hard Drive Type
SATA (7200 rpm)

Computer Hard Drive Size
500GB

Optical Drive
Double-layer DVD±RW

Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M

Video Memory
1GB GDDR5

Networking
Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps (RJ-45 connector)

Wireless Networking
Wireless-B+G+N

It'll be more than fine.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Canceled my Play.com and re-ordered on amazon! :D

Item(s) Subtotal: £34.89
Postage & Packing: £22.38
-----
Total Before VAT: £57.27
VAT: £10.30
-----
Total: £67.57
-----
Grand Total: £67.57

With 1-2 day priority mail.

Khrno

Gromph said:
Canceled my Play.com and re-ordered on amazon! :D

Item(s) Subtotal: £34.89
Postage & Packing: £22.38
-----
Total Before VAT: £57.27
VAT: £10.30
-----
Total: £67.57
-----
Grand Total: £67.57

With 1-2 day priority mail.

Postage & Packing: £22.38??
Total: £67.57??

What?

It only costs £47 with the Expedited (1 day) postage option

Gromph

Staff Member
To Spain, i got standar (3-7 days) or priority (1-2 days)

So i want it fast! :D

Also i will get holidays when the item arrive :D 1 week early access = 1 week holidays :D

Khrno

Gromph said:
To Spain, i got standar (3-7 days) or priority (1-2 days)

So i want it fast! :D

Also i will get holidays when the item arrive :D 1 week early access = 1 week holidays :D

Oh I see. Aren't there any spanish retailers taking preorders for the game?

Swag

Does anyone know if Amazon bills right when you order or when the game ships?

Want to get my pre-order in but I'm broke right now ;(

Gromph

Staff Member
Sebulon3k said:
Does anyone know if Amazon bills right when you order or when the game ships?

Want to get my pre-order in but I'm broke right now ;(

They bill when they ship.

Khrno said:
Oh I see. Aren't there any spanish retailers taking preorders for the game?

Didnt saw anyone, anyway i allways order to amazon.co.uk, cheaper and faster.

Jinko

Gromph said:
Didnt saw anyone, anyway i allways order to amazon.co.uk, cheaper and faster.

Strange from my experience play is always faster than amazon because they generally send their games out a couple days before release.

Gromph

Staff Member
Jinko said:
Strange from me experience play is always faster than amazon because they generally send their games out a couple days before release.

From play i only had the free delivery (7-10 days) to Spain, so i dont think they will be in time :(

Khrno

Jinko said:
Strange from my experience play is always faster than amazon because they generally send their games out a couple days before release.

That's because Play.com aren't greedy bastards like Amazon that have 3 different postage rates :lol

Brofist

This is the benchmark topic right, it's hard to tell :lol

I got just north of 4000 with a i7 920 (OCed to 3.4) and 4890 combo on low. Seems low if you ask me. I'll have to run it again later with Fraps running to see real FPS performance.

datamage

Hmm, I may actually pre-order this for the CE.

For those that pre-order online often, would it be better to go with Gamestop or Amazon? Maybe I should just pre-order locally.

Thinking out loud- I wonder what the chances of this coming to Steam are...

Also, about performance, my score was 2425 on a C2D @ 3.33ghz / 4GB ram / GTX 275 / High setting/1080p. Framerate seemed ok for the most part, need to re-run with Fraps to get an actual number. Thing is, we don't know what actual in-game settings the benchmark is using. For all we know, it could be a 'medium' setting, since the only apparent difference between low and high in the benchmark, is the resolution.

I might buy the PC version just to fuck around on but I plan on playing the PS3 version, primarily. Who knows though, I may get so into the PC version that I'm satisfied with it

unless the PS3 version has trophies, god damn it I hate my OCD

Salaadin

brandonh83 said:
I might buy the PC version just to fuck around on but I plan on playing the PS3 version, primarily. Who knows though, I may get so into the PC version that I'm satisfied with it

unless the PS3 version has trophies, god damn it I hate my OCD

In FFXI, you had to talk to an NPC to get achievements. They basically ha dthe NPC check your rank, levels, etc and then give you whatever achievement you met the requirements for.
If XIV is the same, you can always play it on PC for a long time until it gets real cheap then just buy and install the PS3 version when its only 10 bucks and go unlock all the trophies at once.

kpop100 said:
Don't see why you wouldn't be able to.

keep in mind that this is my first MMORPG aside from my brief tangle with FFXI so I'm very, very new to this. I just assumed that you wouldn't be able to do something like that, but that's pretty awesome.

brandonh83 said:
Wait you can carry over your character/account from the PC to PS3 and vice-versa?

If it's anything like FFXI, your character is stored server-side and is linked to your account. So whenever you log in (be it pc or ps3) your character will be there.

Salaadin

I played the same character on PS2, 360, and PC. Youre given one account ID and password and then that login gets you your character wherever you are. You can even login over a friends house if they have the game.

Minamu

My benchmarks crashes when I launch it :( I get to choose a character but then, crash boom burn. My pc is less than 2 years old (with ati if that matters?).

Jinko

Minamu said:
My benchmarks crashes when I launch it :( I get to choose a character but then, crash boom burn. My pc is less than 2 years old (with ati if that matters?).

Update Direct X and graphics drivers.

Khrno

New interview with Tanaka from ITMedia Games at ZAM.

-- So, you're really putting more power in the users' hands. By the way, you have consistently developed and worked on FFXI for almost 10 years now. What exactly is the draw for you?

Tanaka: (without pausing) It's about bringing people together. With the traditional RPG, the creator puts together a story with gameplay and cutscenes, and the user consumes it. With an MMORPG, the story is never finished. Friendships are born and tales are constantly woven between players... it's an RPG full of meetings and partings and many of our more passionate players carry over that experience into the real world. I find it fascinating to see how the world grows and expands outside the scope of the pre-built scenarios -- I might even call it an addiction.

Top Bottom