• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Khrno

Achtius said:
I can't decide if the CE is worth it or not if I can't play until next year =/

25$ more for a journal and in game items =/

And an Amano illustrated cover!
Although those were 'free' with the FFXI expansions

NeoForte

Man I really need to get my benchmark up and running. Anyone have any idea what would cause it to crash the moment I tell it to start the benchmark? On the fault thingy on the error it said atiumdag.dll Do I need to download this and put it in the folder or something?

Finally got the benchmark to work

33aexzb.jpg

Khrno

NeoForte said:
Man I really need to get my benchmark up and running. Anyone have any idea what would cause it to crash the moment I tell it to start the benchmark? On the fault thingy on the error it said atiumdag.dll Do I need to download this and put it in the folder or something?

You should update your graphic card drivers first. And DX if you haven't done it already.

ampere

I'm very tempted to give this a shot, however I doubt I'll leave WoW for it.

A question maybe someone could answer:
I heard from a few friends that FFXI was very very group oriented and even leveling pretty much required a group (and you could de-level if you died D:), any word on if this stuff is changing? The reason is enjoyed leveling in WoW was because it was very relaxing, I could do it solo or in a group and at my own pace. If I did screw up and die, there wasn't much of a penalty.

Going to try out the benchmark, I want to see how my PC I built in February is holding up :3

NeoForte

Khrno said:
You should update your graphic card drivers first. And DX if you haven't done it already.

My graphics card's drrivers are the most recent available through Radeon's site. DX should be fine as I am on Win7 unless there's a new update.

Khrno

NeoForte said:
My graphics card's drrivers are the most recent available through Radeon's site. DX should be fine as I am on Win7 unless there's a new update.

Then that atiumdag.dll file must be corrupted, download it, delete the old one and see if that helps, if not, do the drivers update one more time after deleting your current drivers.

Teknoman

ciaossu said:
I'm very tempted to give this a shot, however I doubt I'll leave WoW for it.

A question maybe someone could answer:
I heard from a few friends that FFXI was very very group oriented and even leveling pretty much required a group (and you could de-level if you died D:), any word on if this stuff is changing? The reason is enjoyed leveling in WoW was because it was very relaxing, I could do it solo or in a group and at my own pace. If I did screw up and die, there wasn't much of a penalty.

Going to try out the benchmark, I want to see how my PC I built in February is holding up :3

They took soloing into consideration here, and now most (all?) normal quests will scale to the number of people in your party. Battle system is a little faster, not sure if you can level down this time around. The game seems like it'll be closer to standard FF style stuff as well.

288ausj.jpg

NeoForte

Khrno said:
Then that atiumdag.dll file must be corrupted, download it, delete the old one and see if that helps, if not, do the drivers update one more time after deleting your current drivers.

Guess easier said than done it seems. Can't seem to find that file on my PC or online to download.

Zozobra

Are those security tokens the same thing as what WoW has?

If so, that plus a decent-sized art book would probably make it worth throwing down the extra cash for the CE, for me at least.

Einbroch

Banned
Zozobra said:
Are those security tokens the same thing as what WoW has?

If so, that plus a decent-sized art book would probably make it worth throwing down the extra cash for the CE, for me at least.
Yep. They're both made by VASCO.

Same exact things.

careksims

Hehe when I saw that: New desktop wallpaper! :D

Man I'm so giddy today. I thought the release would be in Nov or worst next year for PC. Couldn't believe it's in Sept! Yee haw!!!!

Khrno

careksims said:
Hehe when I saw that: New desktop wallpaper! :D

Man I'm so giddy today. I thought the release would be in Nov or worst next year for PC. Couldn't believe it's in Sept! Yee haw!!!!

Same here.

I gotta behead some characters and shop the sides to make it 1920x1200.

Bog

Junior Ace
Is the Alpha still going? I haven't gotten an e-mail with the times I can log in in a couple weeks.

gillty

Banned
Yoboman said:
Is the FFXIV world seamless ala WoW or is it split into areas like an FF game?

I haven't played FFXI
Pretty much seamless, of course like WoW eventually you might encounter a loadscreen like between continents or instances.

Kandinsky

Yoboman said:
Is the FFXIV world seamless ala WoW or is it split into areas like an FF game?

I haven't played FFXI
Seamless for the most part, will still have areas, just like wow, like regions and the like.

Bog said:
Is the Alpha still going? I haven't gotten an e-mail with the times I can log in in a couple weeks.
No, alpha ended about 2 weeks ago.

notworksafe

It's not looking good. How did the benchmark run when you did it? Laggy? Lots of screen tearing? I got something like a 1200, which is low, but I got an almost constant 30 FPS so I'm not worried.

notworksafe said:
It's not looking good. How did the benchmark run when you did it? Laggy? Lots of screen tearing? I got something like a 1200, which is low, but I got an almost constant 30 FPS so I'm not worried.

Where did you see the FPS?

I wanted to wait to upgrade until November. If I just upgraded my video card now would I probably be alright until a full upgrade in November?

LowParry

Hmmmm. Maybe I'll go with the physical copy this time around. I like digital better through potential Steam but that's so pretty cool stuff you get.

Btw, what's GAF going to call our guild/legion/link?

hteng

Banned
demosthenes said:
http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab145/mpmaley0/ffxiv.png

I'm screwed right?[/QUOTE]

what the fuck? my friggin notebook scores better than that (1500), something is wrong with your setup or the benchmark really sucks

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
CcrooK said:
Hmmmm. Maybe I'll go with the physical copy this time around. I like digital better through potential Steam but that's so pretty cool stuff you get.

Btw, what's GAF going to call our guild/legion/link?

I personally see no reason to change: Stars of Destiny. =P

Dr. Light

Preorderd the CE immediately from Amazon. Awesome.

BTW, has anyone gotten Crossfire/SLI working with the benchmark yet? I want to see my REAL score.

So is Nvidia going to fix their drivers or whatever? The scores for Nvidia cards are much lower than for ATI cards right now, and considering the huge "THE WAY IT'S MEANT TO BE PLAYED" branding plastered all over the upper right hand corner of the benchmark window, Nvidia should be embarrassed by how the ATI cards are walking all over the Nvidia cards. I have a GTX 470 and I'm scoring 1000+ points lower than Radeon 5850s right now on this benchmark.

Yeah, I'm going to preorder the CE, but if I can't make it run decently on my rig in beta or whatever before launch, I'm not going to buy it. I didn't spend all the money on a GTX 470 because I like putting it in a toilet and flushing it. :lol

I wonder if the CE in-game stuff you get is different from the in-game item you got for buying FFXIII?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Unknown Soldier said:
So is Nvidia going to fix their drivers or whatever? The scores for Nvidia cards are much lower than for ATI cards right now, and considering the huge "THE WAY IT'S MEANT TO BE PLAYED" branding plastered all over the upper right hand corner of the benchmark window, Nvidia should be embarrassed by how the ATI cards are walking all over the Nvidia cards. I have a GTX 470 and I'm scoring 1000+ points lower than Radeon 5850s right on on this benchmark.

I was wondering what was up, lol
I have the same card

The benchmark still ran well on my rig, probably my overclock I7 :D
3500s

Top Bottom