• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIV Online - Noclip Documentary Teaser

Link.

A three-part documentary series on the incredible death and rebirth of FINAL FANTASY XIV Online. Coming soon. Subscribe to watch more video game documentaries.

Noclip operates entirely through the passion of people like you. To help us tell more stories about video games and the people who make them, please consider becoming a patron: https://www.patreon.com/dannyodwyer

Produced by Danny O'Dwyer & Jeremy Jayne
@dannyodwyer / @adackmusic

Excited for this.

FHIZ

Generally surprised a large publisher, let alone a Japanese one gave Danny the OK to do this they way he wants.

Wow, did not expect Danny to cover japanese games much, especially FF. There's so much to explore with XIV, I look forward to the videos.

kennyamr

Oh nice one. I'd be looking forward to those 3 parts.

Fabulous game. Never played a MMO before it, fell in love immediately.

From twitter:
For those asking, the series includes interviews with Yoshi-P, Koji Fox, several of the developers, Matsuda-san (Square Enix CEO) and more.
It's a three-parter. The first focuses on 1.0, the second on the development of ARR, and the third on its reception and everything since.

Arkeband

Banned
Hopefully after this is released, people can finally move past ARR's miraculous turnaround and focus on the actual ongoing development, which is often handwaved in favor of glorifying this particular instance.

We've just learned that they're releasing less planned content per patch for the second expansion in a row, which despite all of Stormblood's great changes, is worrisome.

FFXIV is more than August 24th, 2013.

Granjinha

Noclip is one the best things that happened recently. It's fucking amazing and has great insights. All of the subjects have been incredible and man, this one has the potential to be the best one yet.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Hopefully after this is released, people can finally move past ARR's miraculous turnaround and focus on the actual ongoing development, which is often handwaved in favor of glorifying this particular instance.

We've just learned that they're releasing less planned content per patch for the second expansion in a row, which despite all of Stormblood's great changes, is worrisome.

FFXIV is more than August 24th, 2013.

meh, if one less dungeon every odd patch results in a better designed dungeon instead of Sohm Al (Hard), I'm ok with that.

killroy87

Will watch this, because FF14 is one of the most fascinating stories in videogame history. Still, I'm curious to see what Danny can bring to the conversation that hasn't been told a million times over. FF14 has kind of been covered a ton.

I don't know how many people suggested to Danny the idea of doing a documentary on this game, nor do I know if they had a hand in his decision to do one or if he had already made up his mind long ago, but I was amongst those who made the suggestion. I had no idea he would tackle it so quickly. This is, what, his third documentary?

It cannot come soon enough.

meh, if one less dungeon every odd patch results in a better designed dungeon instead of Sohm Al (Hard), I'm ok with that.

Yeah, I'm with you. Maybe the "less content" will actually result in less filler and more meaningful content. This would be better.

Granjinha

I don't know how many people suggested to Danny the idea of doing a documentary on this game, nor do I know if they had a hand in his decision to do one or if he had already made up his mind long ago, but I was amongst those who made the suggestion. I had no idea he would tackle it so quickly. This is, what, his third documentary?

It cannot come soon enough.

Fourth.

Ennosuke

Really excited, I love documentaries such as this one. We need more stuff like this about the gaming industry.

Keasar

It's quite amazing what a rebirth FFXIV did. I remember trying the Open Beta for the 1.0 version of the game and I had rarely been as angry at total failure of design as that game.

Now I am binging FFXIV:ARR, started last week or so, and having a blast.

A very impressive transformation.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, I'm with you. Maybe the "less content" will actually result in less filler and more meaningful content. This would be better.

Any dungeon that avoids having the final boss being named "Lava Scorpion" is fine with me.

gillty

Banned
ffxiv-tanaka-bannerzyuv0.jpg

I wonder if anything will be said towards the Tanaka Hiromichi's involvement in the initial release?

I think for many of us who experienced the alphas, betas, and 1.0 release we attribute much of that failure on Tanaka.

Yoshi-P did a hell of a job moving the company forward, but given it's been 5 years since Tanaka departed SE, I wonder if the company would be willing to candid about Tanaka's involvement as producer of the game.

Arkeband

Banned

That'd be great, but that was the same justification when we went from 3 down to 2, and their design might have gotten even more cookie cutter.

That'd be great, but that was the same justification when we went from 3 down to 2, and their design might have gotten even more cookie cutter.

On the other hand, the patch content of Heavensward was so much better than the patch content of 2.0.

Luminaire

It's quite amazing what a rebirth FFXIV did. I remember trying the Open Beta for the 1.0 version of the game and I had rarely been as angry at total failure of design as that game.

Now I am binging FFXIV:ARR, started last week or so, and having a blast.

A very impressive transformation.

You're in for a treat. Heavensward is even better. FFXIV is a love letter to FF fans of all eras.

Wadiwasi

Banned
Oh I love behind the scenes looks for the development of games, this one will be really interesting I think. And I just found out that I pre-ordered Jason's book. Had completely forgotten about it!

Arzehn

I will have to watch this to figure out what Yoshida did that actually deserves praise, from what I can tell he just had the team create a WoW clone.

#praisetanaka

Top Bottom