• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Was wondering if anyone could suggest a tank class to pick up as i main a dragoon but wanted to have a back up for end game content once i get to it. Never tanked in any mmo before if that is a deciding factor between the three tank classes.

Robin64

Awesome, thank you. So I guess Idyllshire is HW's version of Revenants Toll! I probably should have realize that sooner haha

What's neat is that is started off a bit of a dump at launch, and each patch it got built up to the nice location it is now.

What place in Stormblood will do that, Rhalgr's Reach?

R0ckman

Agreed, I'm not that rich yet haha. I have all the crafting classes to 15 or more except culinarian and alchemist, so I better get to crafting HQ stuff!

You need to get cul to 15 for Hasty Touch, I dont think I was able to HQ egfectively at low levels without that.

You can make money by selling crafting items that dont make it to HQ, since you need the money ASAP you'll have to undercut on the boards.

eliza0224

You need to get cul to 15 for Hasty Touch, I dont think I was able to HQ egfectively at low levels without that.

You can make money by selling crafting items that dont make it to HQ, since you need the money ASAP you'll have to undercut on the boards.
Well shit. Thanks for the help! 😄

Sissel

Was wondering if anyone could suggest a tank class to pick up as i main a dragoon but wanted to have a back up for end game content once i get to it. Never tanked in any mmo before if that is a deciding factor between the three tank classes.
Paladin was always considered the easiest one to work into, don't know if that's changed with SB though. Being a DPS main myself (NIN/DRG) I've enjoyed WAR quite a bit.

tmtyf

PLD is the best tank now, and probably the easiest to learn.

DRK is good at end game as well from what i have heard. WAR kinda got shafted this update.

MechaX

Summoner, a job with a high penalty for failure that can throw things off for quiet a while after the initial minor mistake, is #2 in terms of DPS.

Machinist, a job with a high penalty for failure that can throw things off for quiet a while after the initial minor mistake, is #9 in terms of DPS.

I can't even with this. Can't even.

They're a thousand DPS behind Samurai; Hypercharge got nerfed, most of the CC skills got moved to cross-role, instead of expanding on the damage reduction MCH had a monopoly on in HW they handed it to Bard, and the damage sucks.

I think ACT is still having problems calculating flamethrower. Plus, I also don't think it's tracking self buffs all that great yet.

Isaccard

Machinists on suicide watch? 🤔

Regarding the difficulty surrounding content, I feel like we've been having this discussion forever. I haven't gotten there yet myself but sounds like the EX Primal fights are face roll easy? Wasn't HW launch primals the same iirc?

Edit: Mana Shift is an amazing ability wow, I wish the cooldown was a bit shorter. Is it 20% of max MP or of your current MP?

Paladin is the most "traditional" of the tanks if you have ever tanked in other MMO's before. Sword and board, lots of defensive cooldowns, lots of oh shit buttons, and pretty sturdy.

Dark Knight is more about weaving buffs and mana management but with easier aoe tanking than the Paladin and still a lot of defensive cooldowns.

Warrior feels more like a dps half the time, building up your gauge and then using it to unleash big attacks that then in turn give you buffs.

Like others said, Paladin is the most straight forward to get into and probably the most forgiving if you make a mistake, but all 3 are viable and it will just come down to which play style fits you best.

It boggles my mind how much better it feels to play PLD over DRK. Shield Oath is so much better than Grit, same damage reduction and enimity generation without the lack of MP regen. Combine that with flash, the off GCD AoE that generates threat plus a DoT and it is just so much easier to hold threat and mange resources.

Qvoth

1 more week until I return to my computer... Was level 66 and msq still in azim steppe..

Hopefully there will still be ex learning pt for susanoo and lakshmi when I reach that point :<

Do people still want khloe 1st timer points? I'm not sure if there's anything new regarding wondrous tales for SB

I think ACT is still having problems calculating flamethrower. Plus, I also don't think it's tracking self buffs all that great yet.

Flamethrower is such a minor part of the damage, that even if it's tracking it wrong I don't think that has a major effect. :( or maybe I'm still playing completely wrong.

Soroc

Yesss

aY0Lggc.png

That felt good.

Grats dude! That didn't take long after the learning party :D

adversarial

Malick[AI];241517184 said:
It boggles my mind how much better it feels to play PLD over DRK. Shield Oath is so much better than Grit, same damage reduction and enimity generation without the lack of MP regen. Combine that with flash, the off GCD AoE that generates threat plus a DoT and it is just so much easier to hold threat and mange resources.

I love my DRK. I was worried since everyone here seems to shit on it, but I've been enjoying it. Lv. 60 atm. Will most likely do PLD next, as I'm pretty much relegated to tanking when I play MMOs.

I've seen other players with idle animations I feel like I don't have. Are they something you purchase or unlock?

There's a "change pose" emote that everybody has. Everybody has multiple idles, 2 weapon drawn idles, 3 sitting idles, yada yada. I've seen emotes for purchase, but I've yet to see any actual idle animations that are locked in any way. Theya re all available from the moment you create the character.

There's a "change pose" emote that everybody has. Everybody has multiple idles, 2 weapon drawn idles, 3 sitting idles, yada yada. I've seen emotes for purchase, but I've yet to see any actual idle animations that are locked in any way. Theya re all available from the moment you create the character.
Ah that makes sense. Thanks!

SOLDIER

Been resizing all of my UI elements on PS4, since a large majority of them are set to HUGE by default.

Is there any way to resize the "pop-up" battle icons, like HP numbers, getting hit with a status effect, the Level Up text, etc?

duckroll

I might be misunderstanding something, but I think the biggest reason HW EX primal fights are so easy now (and were easy when you got to them) is because everyone and their mother is so overgeared for them, so you can ignore many mechanics which could easily kill you before. I remember having problems with both Ravana and Bismarck (not huge problems, like with turn 9/13) when they were new, because of dps checks etc.

Yes you are right. I didn't consider the ilvl. I did the EX Primals for HW after Void Ark so I was overgeared as hell.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm 65 and have yet to do a single side quest.

PVP exp too strong

I did most of Fringe, and did alot of the beginning of Ruby Sea, but yeah, I've really tapered off. I'll hit the "Blue with + symbol" ones, as they're usually aetherite quests, but generally I'll leave them along, even to the point of just needing to collect the XP after actually doing the quests, and only collecting them if I need some XP to clear a level on PLD or BLM.

I'll save the rest for whatever I raise up afterwards.

Sweet Rhalgr...

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Fash always have the best anthems. Meanwhile it's not actually possible to sing God Save the Queen without falling asleep halfway through.

iammeiam

Flamethrower is such a minor part of the damage, that even if it's tracking it wrong I don't think that has a major effect. :( or maybe I'm still playing completely wrong.

Flamethrower is 60 potency per second, cancels your autoattacks reducing its effective potency per second, and is generally used as a button to help you overheat on time. It's not really a factor and certainly isn't anywhere near enough to make up the gap even adding it in for full duration on CD. IIRC ACT continues its proud tradition of not properly calculating Wildfire damage, but at least Aiurily was going back and manually factoring that in to the overall calculation. And Aiurily popped up to discuss things pointing out that the method used to derive the numbers was ultimately going to overstate MCH's damage due to ending right after a burst window.

ACT is going to lose the ability to track a lot of things due to the changes made to the combat system; data that used to appear in the combat log flat out doesn't anymore, which is going to be a limiting factor. But at least for NA numbers, I know part of what was done involved using known quantity SSS dummies from HW to check damage and they seem to align fairly well with the JP list.

It's just HW launch again; they'll get around to buffing it most likely at some point, but they're not going to breathe new life into the job because it's incredibly likely that once they get around to it people will have moved on. If they're going to keep rebooting the job until it gets mass adoption, they likely need to stop botching the launch.

scy

Don't worry, they'll add Piercing Down to Turret Tornado Kick to compensate.

Fash always have the best anthems. Meanwhile it's not actually possible to sing God Save the Queen without falling asleep halfway through.

Is that not a scripted part of the song?

rezn0r

It's really interesting how different the writing for all the Scions is in HW, and especially in 3.x. They did an amazing job rebooting a bunch of initially lackluster characters. They weren't very interesting in ARR, and I think the 2.x story arc made me actively dislike them. The entire organization seemed incompetent at what it did, and all the members were stupid in different ways, with little in the way of personality or meaningful backstory. Except for Tataru. She was awesome from the start.

But then HW comes along, and by the end of 3.5 I was actually pumped to go through a new expansion story with Scions actually driving parts of the story. Who would have thought!

I couldn't really put my finger on it after catching up through 3.x lately but I think this is exactly what I was feeling. I didn't really love many characters in general by the end of 2.x, now I suddenly feel as though I care about everything. It's pretty awesome. As some others mentioned a few pages back, Alphinaud swung big time for me, from hateable to I-don't-want-him-to-die :D

Luminaire

I couldn't really put my finger on it after catching up through 3.x lately but I think this is exactly what I was feeling. I didn't really love many characters in general by the end of 2.x, now I suddenly feel as though I care about everything. It's pretty awesome. As some others mentioned a few pages back, Alphinaud swung big time for me, from hateable to I-don't-want-him-to-die :D
I wanted both the twins to get murdered in the worst possible way on 2.X.

HW really made them grow and evolve, and they do so even further in SB. Now I like them. And that's saying a lot.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I wanted both the twins to get murdered in the worst possible way on 2.X.

HW really made them grow and evolve, and they do so even further in SB. Now I like them. And that's saying a lot.
Alphinaud grew over the course of Heavansward. Alisae showed up at the tail end and was basically like "Lol I changed too. BTW I'm important now."

What's neat is that is started off a bit of a dump at launch, and each patch it got built up to the nice location it is now.

What place in Stormblood will do that, Rhalgr's Reach?

I'm thinking it might be Rhalgr's Reach. Then again, I've been taking my time with going through the story and only now past the Ruby Sea.

It's cool for people who have played the game since the beginning though got to see Revenent's Toll going from virtually wagons to a full-fledged town.

Same thing with Idllyshire where it was all condemned and nothing but almost rubble at the beginning and now the buildings have all since been rebuilt.

Wilsongt

There needs to be an acheivement for finding the highest point you can jump from and the jumping.

Who needs to teleport or fly when you can jump from the giant structure in the Steppe.

studyguy

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/6irzeb/susano_ex_sss_minimum_dps_requirements/

Those numbers are something....
Code:
Striking Dummy HP - SUSANO EX SSS
Minimum DPS to beat in 3 minutes

PLD 390445 2169.14 
WAR 392162 2178.68 
DRK 370407 2057.82 
DRG 612002 3400.01 
MNK 653222 3629.01 
NIN 653222 3629.01 
SAM 688601 3825.56 
BLM 687572 3819.84 
SMN 656085 3644.92 
RDM 649438 3607.99 
BRD 558157 3100.87 
MCH 556133 3089.63 
WHM 427085 2372.69 
SCH 384720 2137.33 
AST 355522 1975.12

AST is literally "you don't pay my sub and even if you did I hit like a pillow"
Mind you this is DPS straight w/o the added benefit of party synergy, etc

Luminaire

Lyse can trip on a boulder tbh

She'd likely crack the earth with her skull. I like her though.

Alphinaud grew over the course of Heavansward. Alisae showed up at the tail end and was basically like "Lol I changed too. BTW I'm important now."
Ali had some growth with Coil I believe, so my disdain for her was less than Alph. Regardless they both BADLY need redesigns. That hair. Stop. It's weird. People are looking.

MogCakes

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/6irzeb/susano_ex_sss_minimum_dps_requirements/

Those numbers are something....
Code:
Striking Dummy HP - SUSANO EX SSS
Minimum DPS to beat in 3 minutes

PLD 390445 2169.14 
WAR 392162 2178.68 
DRK 370407 2057.82 
DRG 612002 3400.01 
MNK 653222 3629.01 
NIN 653222 3629.01 
SAM 688601 3825.56 
BLM 687572 3819.84 
SMN 656085 3644.92 
RDM 649438 3607.99 
BRD 558157 3100.87 
MCH 556133 3089.63 
WHM 427085 2372.69 
SCH 384720 2137.33 
AST 355522 1975.12

AST is literally "you don't pay my sub and even if you did I hit like a pillow"
Mind you this is DPS straight w/o the added benefit of party synergy, etc

NIN got upgraded, MNK/DRG took a pretty big hit in personal dps. I'm not sure they have enough utility to bring over SAM's raw DPS in a melee spot.

Top Bottom