• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

MechaX

How FFXIV handles its antagonists leaves a lot to be desired, unfortunately.

HW Final Warring Triad Quest Spoiler:
I am still mad that they just gave up and offed Regula despite how he could have served to be a very crucial source of insight on Garlemald besides "lol evil empire with cartoon villains in charge"

Any other DRKs want to elaborate on how to use Bloodspiller?

I have no way to measure or math out damage so I want to know where to use it for the biggest DPS increase (if there even is one).

I figure you could replace Souleater with it which would be an obvious increase since its base potency is higher than Souleater.

But using it and just continuing the combo as normal delays Syphon Strike by an extra GCD which means less mana to use on Dark Arts on other things.

It seems like no one is talking about this at all on reddit so I need some help.

MogCakes

Agreed. :p

Oh, good ol' Urianger...

At least we have Y'shtola. (even if she herself can be a bit wordy)

Everyone in the Scions is a little wordy. But it's fine. Most people skip their dialogue anyways... :/
It seems like most people just click through all the dialogues in the cutscenes. They may as well just skip the cs entirely

R0ckman

Is "To the Fore" used in any of the midboss fights for Storm Blood? havent played all of them yet but so far I haven't heard it.

scy

I have no way to measure or math out damage so I want to know where to use it for the biggest DPS increase (if there even is one).

I figure you could replace Souleater with it which would be an obvious increase since its base potency is higher than Souleater.

But using it and just continuing the combo as normal delays Syphon Strike by an extra GCD which means less mana to use on Dark Arts on other things.

It seems like no one is talking about this at all on reddit so I need some help.

I'm leveling DRK next but all signs point to DRK needing more ways to vent MP rather than needing to hoard it still. It's a general increase to use it and only a loss to get to it via TBN spending, and even then it's barely one (~400 potency has it break even).

As a former WoW player that quit shortly after Legion and tried ARR when it first relaunched, how difficult will it be for me to jump in? I'm looking at playing on my Pro and going controller + keyboard (for chat)

I'm currently reading through Lodestone to apprise myself of the mechanics.

Not difficult at all but there will be a ton of story and side quests to slog through. I would recommend sticking to the main scenario. It's pretty easy to level and 'catch up' outside of the time investment for story quests. The game is very accessible and if you join us on Ultros, the GAF guild is always helpful.

I played this game for years with a KB+MMO Mouse (Naga) and made the switch to a controller for Stormblood. It took some adjusting but it works really well. It's pretty impressive with how you can configure and fine tune it. I recommend checking out a controller setup guide because there are some nice options that are disabled by default.

I'm still adapting to the change and making mistakes here and there but I'm pretty comfortable now. Relearning the game after a one year hiatus and playing a new class helped ease me into it. I still feel like I'll never be as fast/good as I was with a MMO mouse, mostly due to camera speed control, targeting, and menu/interface stuff but I think I'm at least 95% as efficient which is good enough. It certainly felt better than when I tried to play with a standard FPS mouse and reaching all over the keyboard. Unless you're a filthy clicker, this game has way too many skills for that nonsense.

As a bonus, playing with a controller feels pretty relaxing and fun.

I think if I went digging back through the thread to around the reveal of the death of cast times, I could find myself fretting over this looking likely to happen and predicting the excuses/justifications that would follow. The "but support!!" thing was bound to come back, even though the value of it is diminished.

I saw this coming the second they said "no more cast times". People were dancing in the streets going "zomg yay no more bowmage" but forgot completely about the fact that Bard got nerfed to earth before because of their mobility. So as soon as the mobility came back, so did the damage nerfs.

So i wanted to pick some brains about the state of SAM and whether or not right now it is " too good .

We had this discusion for a bit in our FC

The basic argument from the pro nerf side was basically :

SAM damage by itself is already huge

SAM as it is right now put in a raid setting and buffed by Balance,Arrow and Trick attack etc would make it's damage absolutely monstrous and therefore its dps should be lowered slightly to bring it more in line with the other melee classes .

What do you guys think?

Perso,nally i think SAM is right where it needs to be .

I might be biased as I play Samurai, but I feel massive power as the trade-off of zero (and I do mean zero) raid utility is fair. It's what Monk should have been in Heavensward. If they are too strong remains to be seen but so far I feel it's okay.

Shahed

Any other tanks use Strength accessories? I played it safe on Susano and Lakshmi* at first, but surviving is easy even in Deliverance. I switch one ring out for the Alex Slaying and I'm contemplating doing another now as well.

Lakshmi is also the easiest Ex Primal ever. First try with several newbies to the fight. First pull it dies....

Can I go nocturnal stance with a sch in party or do ast shields conflict with sch shields?
You can but you shouldn't. You lose out on passive healing for the party

R0ckman

Generally curious, what to people who are not DPSing determines that a DPSer deserves commendations? I usually end up getting at least one or two in my dungeon runs as a DPS, which is surprising especially since most of the time people just give them to the tank.

I have had a huge problem fighting muscle memory and wasting DAs on syphon strikes from where I use to do it in HW. So what I have started doing is DAing after souleater, smoothly going into heavy strike, DA, blood Spiller, then syhpon, DA, SE again.

DA syphons are great when under extended blood weapon but I find outside of that I almost always blow my DA on SS and clip into my SE when I have to recast DA.

Also, DARK AF3 is AMAZING.

Jayhawk

The transforming button combos was something I macro'd at least 3 years ago and posted on Reddit before I cared about GCD queueing. RIP SE finally using it for PVP, but not PVE. :'(

jN5VRp8.gif

kromeo

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/6irzeb/susano_ex_sss_minimum_dps_requirements/

Those numbers are something....
Code:
Striking Dummy HP - SUSANO EX SSS
Minimum DPS to beat in 3 minutes

PLD 390445 2169.14 
WAR 392162 2178.68 
DRK 370407 2057.82 
DRG 612002 3400.01 
MNK 653222 3629.01 
NIN 653222 3629.01 
SAM 688601 3825.56 
BLM 687572 3819.84 
SMN 656085 3644.92 
RDM 649438 3607.99 
BRD 558157 3100.87 
MCH 556133 3089.63 
WHM 427085 2372.69 
SCH 384720 2137.33 
AST 355522 1975.12

AST is literally "you don't pay my sub and even if you did I hit like a pillow"
Mind you this is DPS straight w/o the added benefit of party synergy, etc

The number of samurais isn't going to die down like it did with mch and nin is it?

Generally curious, what to people who are not DPSing determines that a DPSer deserves commendations? I usually end up getting at least one or two in my dungeon runs as a DPS, which is surprising especially since most of the time people just give them to the tank.

Since SB is new, I usually get 2-3 commendations for explaining mechanics to the party even though all I do is watch a video before.

scy

Any other tanks use Strength accessories? I played it safe on Susano and Lakshmi* at first, but surviving is easy even in Deliverance. I switch one ring out for the Alex Slaying and I'm contemplating doing another now as well.

I should have went full Slaying; nothing in the fight hit hard enough to warrant not doing it. Time to look forward to keeping my i270 Slaying for the entire tier.

Generally speaking, if I get a Goad or any "not just pushing damage blindly" buff, I'll comm them. Anyone who pulls threat off of me usually gets a comm.

kromeo

People who actually reply when you say hi at the start lol

aka_bueno

People who actually reply when you say hi at the start lol

Or if you're last two in the party to leave the instance then they only have one option lol

Edit: 80% of my commendations given are to the only other group member left in the commendation menu cause everyone else left the group/instance right after boss

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's weird, because FFXIV's villains are all jokes but the actual world itself has a heavy undercurrent of realpolitik. The contrast between what's going on behind the scenes and you're seeing in the cutscenes is bizarre.

MogCakes

It's weird, because FFXIV's villains are all jokes but the actual world itself has a heavy undercurrent of realpolitik. The contrast between what's going on behind the scenes and you're seeing in the cutscenes is bizarre.
Lore writers vs script/scenario writers

Shahed

Unless you are really powerful it depends on how much or how well you use your utility options. For example back in HW I gave it to Ninja's who bothered to use Goad and Shadewalker, Bards that used Foe's Requiem and so on.

Since WAR has lost Flash and damage/aggro appears nerfed, I appreciate the Goad so I can Overpower more.

I should have went full Slaying; nothing in the fight hit hard enough to warrant not doing it. Time to look forward to keeping my i270 Slaying for the entire tier.

It feels so wrong using Heavensward ACC's, but the HP isn't even needed. Using Shirk on each other on swaps means it's easily done in DPS stance without aggro moves and stacking Cooldowns means surviving isn't an issue

I'll play it safe for new fights, but as tanks we only have to look forward to substat increases for our accessories from now :(

iammeiam

Anything that indicates trying, basically. I default comm DPS and will prefer whichever one seems to be actively involved. Foe Req back when that mattered was an instant comm; trying to mechanics, comm. Clicking to pick up a key? Comm.

Just give me some sign you're trying to make this as smooth as possible and I'm happy. If I'm lowest damage for the run on healer, I'm elated.

So do we have to spend tomes for AF3? I see people in full sets already

Level 70 job quest; uncapped tome armor is i310. There's dungeon gear between AF3 and tome armor. The AF3 is non-dyeable and antiquated implying some future upgrade path for it, but I'm hoping this still means the capped tome armor will be role-based instead of job-based.

Valonquar

As a long time DRK main, the answer is apparently to level PLD or WAR instead.

Blitzhex

Unless this changed in SB they do still conflict and the consensus I believe is that you should never go Nocturnal when partying with a SCH.

Ah, alright.

Lakshmi is also the easiest Ex Primal ever. First try with several newbies to the fight. First pull it dies....

You can but you shouldn't. You lose out on passive healing for the party

I feel like my diurnal sect renew does nothing in susanoo ex, it's expensive and I don't feel a difference when I'm not using renew at all.

I much prefer preshielding stormslinger and purple zap thingies, makes everything MUCH easier. Also, whenever I get a sch partner in party finder they never pre shield those moves, which makes my life even harder. Love partnering up with WHM so I can go nocturnal in that fight.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The transforming button combos was something I macro'd at least 3 years ago and posted on Reddit before I cared about GCD queueing. RIP SE finally using it for PVP, but not PVE. :'(

jN5VRp8.gif

I saw GCD queuing mentioned the other day and I'm still not entirely sure I know what it means.

pantsmith

jN5VRp8.gif

This is a super cool gif!

Yeah, as someone who played a butt ton of monk back in the day, there are so many actions you need to hit and have at the ready, but a lot of them depend on your current stance and are irrelevant info (taking up valuable space) when you don't need them.

Stringing combos together like the PvP function should at least be a baked in option for PvE, but part of me thinks they wanted each action to feel "new" as you unlocked it to lend a sense of progress, and what we have now is a system at odds with the reality (once you have all yours skills, they take up too much space).

I'd love to go back to monk at some point, but part of me shudders looking at the number of abilities there are to map. Red mage is so much more elegant!

Seijuro

Usually you notice who is a good sport in a random dungeon and who is just there for a silent speed run. If the dps is nice, helps newer players out, has the decency to say hello and doesn't throw a fit at the first wipe I will give him a commendation (as well as any other class that behaves that way). Since leveling a DRK I will mostly give commendations to the DPS that "leads" the dungeon instead of me, b/c i'm still learning.

jN5VRp8.gif

I imagine this will happen in 5.0, when they need to make more space on the hotbar.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
You can buffer GCDs during the recast time so they go off as soon as they become avaiable by pressing the buttons a few moments beforehand.

Ok, that's what I figured. That's how I've been conditioned to play from WoW, I just wasn't familiar with the specific nomenclature.

royox

I have a problem. I just bouth the "Complete Edition" on PSN. It says it's also the "Day one". The thing is my PS4 is downloading "A realm Reborn" and when I went to the PSN to search and put StormBlood on the Download queue I found myself that the Complete Edition is not marked as "Bought", neither Stormblood so I can't download it.

What the hell is happening? It seems I bought just ARR with the pre-order bonuses of Stormblood and HW but can't find the games.

pt: It's a 11Gb download.

Shahed

I saw GCD queuing mentioned the other day and I'm still not entirely sure I know what it means.
Basically you have the standard global cooldown that's every 2.5 seconds, even if it changes somewhat depending on class perks and skill speed. If you press a move before that 2.5 seconds is up for you ability, the game will auto queue it so no time is lost and it immediately following up with said move. With a macro, it removes the auto queue so the game won't ready the next move automatically and will wait to see if you're allowed to execute it as you press the button. So you might lose like anywhere from 0-0.5 seconds between moves, which can add up to several lost attacks and abilities over the course of a fight

Baliis

You can buffer GCDs during the recast time so they go off as soon as they become avaiable by pressing the buttons a few moments beforehand.

Ok, that's what I figured. That's how I've been conditioned to play from WoW, I just wasn't familiar with the specific nomenclature.

The important part here is that it doesn't work with macros, so if you use a macro like that to change bars for combos, you're losing a bit of DPS every GCD.

Arkeband

Banned
Ardyn is better than any of the villains in Stormblood atm, imo.

That's depressing.

I hope they add some kind of option for the PvP style combos in 1 button, then. The fact that macros exist but are automatically sub-optimal is kind of poop.

I like them, but they're almost too simple. It really changes nothing, technically, but at least pressing 1, 2, 3 feels less derpy than smacking one singular button.

Squishy3

I have a problem. I just bouth the "Complete Edition" on PSN. It says it's also the "Day one". The thing is my PS4 is downloading "A realm Reborn" and when I went to the PSN to search and put StormBlood on the Download queue I found myself that the Complete Edition is not marked as "Bought", neither Stormblood so I can't download it.

What the hell is happening? It seems I bought just ARR with the pre-order bonuses of Stormblood and HW but can't find the games.

pt: It's a 11Gb download.
The rest will download through the launcher.

That's depressing.
I disagree entirely, for what it's worth.

Anoregon

I hope they add some kind of option for the PvP style combos in 1 button, then. The fact that macros exist but are automatically sub-optimal is kind of poop.

Slater

Banned
Eh, Fordola isn't really a cartoon villain like Zenos and Yosetsu, and I would call both of the latter good cartoon villains.

Best villain of the overall story for my money so far is the WOD's, but they didn't last long enough.

Regula was straight up wasted and it is shameful

aka_bueno

This would help a lot with gamepads, I feel spoiled after playing PvP and getting those sweet context sensitive combo buttons. Going back to PvE feels weird after the streamlined PvP buttons

royox

This would help a lot with gamepads, I feel spoiled after playing PvP and getting those sweet context sensitive combo buttons. Going back to PvE feels weird after the streamlined PvP buttons

Indeed. The RDM melee rotation for example feels pointless as you will ALWAYS use 1-2-3 with no variations.

Top Bottom