• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Watching that documentary posted here on Gaf about FF14 the other day,
its absolutely crazy to think this game's foundation was initiated in 2005,
for perspective that is the year after MGS3, the year of RE4 and a year before Twilight Princess and COD3's release.

v1perz53

Man tanking at low levels is worse than ever this expansion. Never actually levelled Glad/Pal on this toon, so I decided to do it with mostly dungeons. But my god, is the lower level tanking experience garbage. Doing my full enmity combo with Fight or Flight up I still lose aggro to certain classes, namely synced down Red Mages. And in AoE literally any class with actual AoE abilities generate more enmity than Flash spam, while trying to single target stuff with enmity combos doesn't work either. And that is literally all the buttons I have right now, isn't like I can use good play to overcome these obstacles. Having to have your DPS stop doing things so the tank can get aggro is bad game design in this day and age, tank should have tools to hold threat not rely on other people having to stop enjoying gameplay. No wonder to me a lot of people are turned off from tanking, the early levels make you feel like a failboat who can't do anything right. At least I can pick up a stun to at least make the DPS that are tanking take less damage? Kind of annoying since I levelled a Glad/Pal to ~35 around a year ago and none of these issues were present, the old ability distribution and cross class stuff helped a lot to address early game issues.

Of course, you don't really NEED a tank for the early dungeons but that is besides the point...

Was reading some comments about how there is a substantial improvement to damage and aggro generation by using the i270 slaying accessories on tanks so next time I play I'm going to look into getting some and replacing all of my fending accessories with them.

It'll be just like the old days when you put your extra attribute points into strength and wore as much strength stuff as you could get away with.

Xux

Aw jeeze; 3 million experiences until I can continue the story. I guess I'll bless the Duty Finder with my presence.

This LB macro ��

PhXPjA7.jpg

FFXIV Macros are the only reason I get out of bed in the morning

So what's the consensus for this game? Better than Heavensward?

Only about halfway through SB but 3.1-3.5 is still peak content imo, but SB is fantastic so far. Won't really be able to fully compare them though until all the patches for SB come out since as a self contained story I'm enjoying SB more than base HW.

I get the impression that they don't know what they want with the tank and healer jobs in this game.

On one hand they want tanks to tank so they cut their damage and make it harder for them to hold threat but then they give them all these DPS abilities that encourage you to leave the tank stance and not use your enmity combo. Tanking abilities comprise a smaller basic part of the kit while the main fun that comes from playing a tank job is trying to DPS because the alternative is spamming your enmity combo endlessly which is boring as fuck.

They want healers to heal but they create content where their only choice is to DPS if they don't want to sit around for extended periods of time with their thumb up their ass waiting for HP bars to slowly decrease.

The way they've designed things is that DPS seem to only have the real focused identity where their job is just to do as much damage as possible. Tanks are lesser DPS jobs that have the additional responsibility of aggroing enemies and Healers are lesser DPS that have the responsibility of throwing out heals when necessary.

I can't say I recall encountering this sort of situation in other MMOs that I've played. Basically, DPS have a solid identity while tanks and healers have this semi half mishmash.

Mechazawa

I'm a complete idiot and just realized tonight that this game no longer has cross-class skills after spending a few hours leveling up my second job.

What a massive QoL change. Makes this game significantly less grindy. Now I can just play the game without having to feel guilty about missing out on major skills.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm a complete idiot and just realized tonight that this game no longer has cross-class skills after spending a few hours leveling up my second job.

I'm sorry but l m f a o

How much of the arr story missions are party dungeons? Almost to level 20 and the last 4 missions have had 2o to 30 minutes of waiting each which really sucks given everyone is in the new content.

Pundere

Finally reacquainted myself with my class after almost a year of not playing and decided to hop into SB...

...Only to find out I never did any of the stuff from 3.4 onwards. So now I need to queue up for a few duties no one does anymore (as DPS!) before I can get to the new content.

Dammit.

grimmiq

How much of the arr story missions are party dungeons? Almost to level 20 and the last 4 missions have had 2o to 30 minutes of waiting each which really sucks given everyone is in the new content.

I think you have 8 more at
This doesn't include trials. Which I think there are 4 of?

There's a bunch at once early on, then it's more spaced out. Does suck with current DPS queues(or DPS queues in general), that's why it's better to level as tank/healer first but have to play a tank/healer, healers are especially boring at low level/when soloing now. Alternatively get a friend to run you through the dungeons unsynced, I think you still get the quests done that way and goes fast and you won't be missing too much.

So I am newer to this game and am set up to go with a fresh char on Ultros once I get my Brynhildr toon to level 30 for the classes.

But atm my level 20 char is stuck at Satasha. This quest has such long times for all roles, and I can't kill a the bats at the start because they are tuned for full parties. Any advice? Like I feel like I should be able to run it solo at a point, but these things are surprisingly strong.

duckroll

So what's the consensus for this game? Better than Heavensward?

Do you prefer medieval art direction, dragons, and floating islands over far eastern art direction, samurai and ninjas, coastal lands and wide plains? It basically comes down to that. Because in terms of design and effort I'll say they're both as good, with SB having the advantage of building on everything HW already did.

Yes, the duty finder was broken again yesterday cause of DDoS attacks.

People on my server created the "Walls of Chocobo" while it was down.

RR0VlWV.jpg

Fancolors

Tried to create a character in Ultros but it didn't allow me, so I made one in Brynhildr and leveled him to 10.

This game has so much content.

Might make a new one in Ultros once the game allows.

DJIzana

I just thought I'd say I'm enjoying this expansion more than Heavensward. I like Heavensward for the KotR fight but Stormblood? Fees majestic when going to the Azim Steppe the first time and that jumping puzzle in Kugane? I wish they had more! I'm not even level 70 on my Red Mage yet either (approaching 67). The main story, I think, is far more enjoyable right now too.

I should add that I like the floating island motif a lot and appreciate flying but... I dunno. That and eventually, we get to go to Ivalice in the Stormblood expansion? :D

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Yes purchasing the BASE game A Realm Reborn does get you 30 Free Days but purchasing Stormblood (which comes with Heavensward) does NOT get you an additional 30 days.

Danj

so I can play the free trial on Steam up to lvl 35, and then upgrade to the full version and get 1 month free sub right?

The first part of that sentence is definitely right. I don't know about the second part though. Also if you had an account before they introduced the free trial / starter edition, you won't be able to use it. Like I have a level 33 character right now but I can't do anything with it because it was from before that got introduced, I have to put some game time on the account if I want to return.

Which I am going to do, just as soon as one of my friends from back in the day does the Callback Campaign thing...

Can anyone tell me where to go to look for impressions of heavensward and stormblood?

I'm thinking of giving the MMO a shot as I've lost interest in WoW for now but I hear the trial doesn't really give an accurate picture of the game as I hear it much improved in both expansions.

Thanks

Nemesis_

Sorry to be annoying again but if I have a class I want to level up from scratch what's the best way to do it? I kind of used up all my low level quests on an earlier class......

Can anyone tell me where to go to look for impressions of heavensward and stormblood?

I'm thinking of giving the MMO a shot as I've lost interest in WoW for now but I hear the trial doesn't really give an accurate picture of the game as I hear it much improved in both expansions.

Thanks
In short there's a fair bit of padding in base A Realm Reborn. It had a very short Dev cycle (for an MMO) and so the story got stretched pretty thin over the 50 levels. You get sent on a lot of mundane tasks, and while there are great points, many feel you have to fight through a whole lot of filler to get there.

Whereas in Heavensward and on (and in my opinion, the ARR patches, though many treat it as simply a roadblock to Heavensward, and so don't give it a fair shake), the story becomes much more focused, with better voice acting, and far fewer points where you need to find alternate xp sources.

Essentially, the expansions just do everything ARR does, but better. I'm not sure if the trial takes you all the way to the Titan fight, but if it does, that's the point where I knew I was playing a great MMO. And I came from WoW as well.
Sorry to be annoying again but if I have a class I want to level up from scratch what's the best way to do it? I kind of used up all my low level quests on an earlier class......

If you've done the first couple dungeons, you should be able to unlock Palace of the Dead. It's great XP and infinitely re-doable. Also, you could do guildleves at the levemetes in different zones. Palace of the Dead is definitely the best though, queues are perfectly quick even as DPS

Nemesis_

If you've done the first couple dungeons, you should be able to unlock Palace of the Dead. It's great XP and infinitely re-doable. Also, you could do guildleves at the levemetes in different zones. Palace of the Dead is definitely the best though, queues are perfectly quick even as DPS

Ah right. So on dungeons, are they repeatable or a once off thing? I've noticed some on my map but wondered if I had to wait for the story quests to take me to them.

Ayumi

I'm in JP now but will move to EU later this year. My friend plays on Omega, but I wanted to kinda hear around first with EU FFXIV GAF.

ebil

I'm in JP now but will move to EU later this year. My friend plays on Omega, but I wanted to kinda hear around first with EU FFXIV GAF.
We're completely spread around EU servers, there's no EU GAF server of that's what you're looking for.

I'm on Ragnarok

dramatis

Sideways give very little exp, so they wouldn't be the best.

Unlock the challenge log via quest in Limsa.

Then from 1-15 do Fates and hunting log (it may fulfill some tasks in challenge log). Guildhest roulette and some battle leves can provide supplementary exp.

Post 15 should be dungeons, post 17 (I think) you can level via Palace of the Dead (unlocked by quest in Gridania).

From 42 onwards there are beast trine quests that can offer some additional exp daily on the side, but the ones before 50 at tedious.

Post 50, you can use daily clan hunts, in which you go kill some things and then get a chunk of exp. As your level increases, you can do stronger clan hunt bills.

By that time you should know what you are doing.

Ah right. So on dungeons, are they repeatable or a once off thing? I've noticed some on my map but wondered if I had to wait for the story quests to take me to them.

All dungeons are repeatable. If you've done Copperbell Mine, or Toto-rak, or any of that stuff, it's all repeatable for as much as you need. Dungeons that are your level are the best source of xp bar none, but it can take a while to get into a dungeon if you're a damage class, tanks and heals get in really fast. Palace of the Dead is basically a randomly generated dungeon that can be done with any team composition, so it's your best bet for leveling new classes if they're not tanks or healers.

And yes, the story takes you to most dungeons, but there are some that are side quests. You can't just walk up to a dungeon and do it, there's always some kind of quest to unlock it. I believe now that any quest that is going to unlock something has a plus marker on the minimap, and appears gold and blue if you look at them head on. Look out for those quests.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
My static's on Cerberus now, plus a few other escapees from Ultros/dramatis' iron grasp. Think there was another GAF group on the server, too. Cerberus I'm told had a 1500 queue at one point but otherwise seems fine.

In short there's a fair bit of padding in base A Realm Reborn. It had a very short Dev cycle (for an MMO) and so the story got stretched pretty thin over the 50 levels. You get sent on a lot of mundane tasks, and while there are great points, many feel you have to fight through a whole lot of filler to get there.

Whereas in Heavensward and on (and in my opinion, the ARR patches, though many treat it as simply a roadblock to Heavensward, and so don't give it a fair shake), the story becomes much more focused, with better voice acting, and far fewer points where you need to find alternate xp sources.

Essentially, the expansions just do everything ARR does, but better. I'm not sure if the trial takes you all the way to the Titan fight, but if it does, that's the point where I knew I was playing a great MMO. And I came from WoW as well.

Fantastic, thanks. I will definitely keep in mind that the expansions do make everything better.

The Arcana gauge is so fuckin annoying and pointless for ast.

- I still have both a draw and spread icon in the middle of the screen anyway, so i can see their cooldowns.
- I cant turn it off because then i cant see which RR buff i have at all
- Cant see other AST buffs, so cant work around their combos
- Can no longer click buffs off, which was really useful.....

Top Bottom