• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

studyguy

tfw low pop server area instances basically = solo instances
S9IuZKz.png

Squishy3

I don't think it's going to have a story behind it, beyond The Wandering Minstrel thinking up even more ways to fuck us over as much as he can.

Our character's reaction when unlocking Omega Savage and hearing the words "with help from a certain wandering minstrel." made me laugh pretty hard. It's keeping in line with the narrative they're trying to set up with him ever since you got all the weapons in the Yo-Kai Watch event and the Level 5 executive gives the Wandering Minstrel shit for how hard Gordias was.

Biggest stress causer for our character is not all the supernatural threats we fight and instead Yoshi P.

ch4fx_

I hit level 5 last night, am I raid ready yet?
/s

I downloaded the free trial from the PS Store last night to see what this game was all about, & come to find out, I REALLY like it.. but (unfortunately) I have NO clue what I'm doing.

Outside of a little Elder Scrolls Online, this will be my first MMO, so hopefully that doesn't work against me.

The only thing I'm sure of is that I'm looking to be a white mage/healer. Problem is, no clue how to go about that. I thought white mage would be one of the classes, but I didn't see it as an option when I created my character.

I (think I) remember reading some text last night that said I had opened up "jobs" now that I'm level 5 -- what are these?

I loved doing hunts in FFXV & was happy to see hunts were in XIV as well. Are they basically the same thing? & when can I start doing them? Are they solo, group, or both?

I'm having trouble reading the map, for some reason. At first I thought it was pretty clear/straight forward, but then I started picking up quests on different floors & I couldn't tell which quest was where. Is there an "easy way" to read it? Or, like most games, do you just get used to it?

Any tips for NOT getting overwhelmed &/or what I should be doing/looking for, in general?

I welcome any tips & appreciate the replies in advance. Hopefully this game clicks because I absolutely adore what I've played thus far.

PS - ALL (well, at least most of) THE ARMOR IN THIS GAME LOOKS AMAZING! I can't wait to get out of what I'm currently wearing.

PPS - sorry for all the random questions, I'm kinda still processing what I played last night.

k1t4j

So I picked up my monk this afternoon and it really "clicked" with me this time around...I went from 23 to 38 with very little PoTD in between because the levelling roulette is now between 5-10 mins queue :0.

The rest XP, the armoury bonus, the food bonus the FC bonus and those XP scrolls you get from the Squadron missions really add up :D

I hit level 5 last night, am I raid ready yet?
/s

I downloaded the free trial from the PS Store last night to see what this game was all about, & come to find out, I REALLY like it.. but (unfortunately) I have NO clue what I'm doing.

Outside of a little Elder Scrolls Online, this will be my first MMO, so hopefully that doesn't work against me.

The only thing I'm sure of is that I'm looking to be a white mage/healer. Problem is, no clue how to go about that. I thought white mage would be one of the classes, but I didn't see it as an option when I created my character.

I (think I) remember reading some text last night that said I had opened up "jobs" now that I'm level 5 -- what are these?

I loved doing hunts in FFXV & was happy to see hunts were in XIV as well. Are they basically the same thing? & when can I start doing them? Are they solo, group, or both?

I'm having trouble reading the map, for some reason. At first I thought it was pretty clear/straight forward, but then I started picking up quests on different floors & I couldn't tell which quest was where. Is there an "easy way" to read it? Or, like most games, do you just get used to it?

Any tips for NOT getting overwhelmed &/or what I should be doing/looking for, in general?

I welcome any tips & appreciate the replies in advance. Hopefully this game clicks because I absolutely adore what I've played thus far.

PS - ALL (well, at least most of) THE ARMOR IN THIS GAME LOOKS AMAZING! I can't wait to get out of what I'm currently wearing.

PPS - sorry for all the random questions, I'm kinda still processing what I played last night.

Jobs are unlocked when you complete the lvl 30 class quest. Jobs are basically advanced classes. Whitemage is the job for Conjurer, so if you wanted to be that, make a Conjurer. If you want to play a Scholar, you'd start as an Arcanist and so on. Jobs from the expansions don't have starting classes, they're just directly jobs(and start at 30-50).

What you opened at 5 was probably the hunting log. Open the options and find it in the log submenu. Hunting log is a class specific log of monsters that you want to kill for bonus xp. Say 3 scarabs and 1 bird and whatever.

Hunts are mostly later, and the early ones aren't particularily useful. They also function differently, hunts are mostly just marks that you take to kill specific normal mobs, say some goblins in Upper la Noscea or whatever. Later on you unlock weekly hunts that have you kill B ranks, a mini boss of sort, but nothing too impressive. However there's also A rank and S rank hunts which spawn semi randomly(A ranks respawn every hour or so, S rank have specific triggers to make them spawn and spawn only once every 3-4 days). Those are meant to be done in a group, and start at 50 in the old zones, 60 in heavensward and 70 in stormblood. They drop valuable stuff and are endgame content(kinda).

Map takes some getting used to, and knowing the locations so you know when to go up or down or whatever. It's definitely not great.

Main advice is do your MSQ(Main Story Quest) and your class quest. Also do quests that have a special icon with a + on them, those unlock stuff like content, dungeons and things like that. After that take it slow and don't hesitate to ask question, or use the wiki. There's a lot of stuff to do in the game so just take it slow and do what you feel like doing, no real rush.

Severance

As I level Red Mage, I can't help but wonder why they didn't design the job to queue for dungeon roulette as a healer (or dps) but not quite be able to main heal a raid/trial. I feel like I could heal most dungeons with vercure anyway. It seems like a missed opportunity because Square is still stuck in the rigid trifecta of tank/healer/dps. I hope they design for more flex roles in the future, it's not too late for Red Mage or future jobs. Dungeons are designed for brain dead healing already since a Scholar's fairy can handle the majority of healing.

As I level Red Mage, I can't help but wonder why they didn't design the job to queue for dungeon roulette as a healer (or dps) but not quite be able to main heal a raid/trial. I feel like I could heal most dungeons with vercure anyway. It seems like a missed opportunity because Square is still stuck in the rigid trifecta of tank/healer/dps. I hope they design for more flex roles in the future, it's not too late for Red Mage or future jobs. Dungeons are designed for brain dead healing already since a Scholar's fairy can handle the majority of healing.

The problem with this is that RDM doesn't get its heals until later in the job, so if you queued as a healer and got, say, Aurum Vale you'd be pretty well screwed.

Honestly, hybriding jobs isn't an issue as much as it would be a problem for how they handle the DF and matching in general. You'd have to allow a slot to be red/green but only for content post a certain level OR unsynced. I haven't checked in a while but I imagine there are some PF that have maybe room for one healer and then a green/RDM slot or even two of those.

Severance

The problem with this is that RDM doesn't get its heals until later in the job, so if you queued as a healer and got, say, Aurum Vale you'd be pretty well screwed.

Honestly, hybriding jobs isn't an issue as much as it would be a problem for how they handle the DF and matching in general. You'd have to allow a slot to be red/green but only for content post a certain level OR unsynced. I haven't checked in a while but I imagine there are some PF that have maybe room for one healer and then a green/RDM slot or even two of those.

Yeah i see that, but I do feel that if they designed RM with dungeon roulette in mind that there would be no problem making Vercure and Verraise available much earlier. Unlocking Vercure at level 2 like other healers wouldn't break the game, not from what I can tell. Then maybe you give them a weak aoe heal or some other healing spell or buff at level 50, and bam, Red Mage healing any dungeon in roulette no problem. It'd help alleviate queue times I'd imagine. Thats all I'm hoping for anyway hah.

Novice Network is amazing for newcomers.

I have learned so much from that chat group. Great community really.

Too bad I was only added to it at level 30 or so lololol.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Got to HW today. Tried out Machinist, think I really like this job but man leveling 30-50 without any quests is such a pain in the ass. Just been grinding fates because POTD is so boring.

Also I don't think I've seen a single machinst at any point playing this game. Didn't even think they existed until I tried it out myself.

Guess Who

Banned
Got to HW today. Tried out Machinist, think I really like this job but man leveling 30-50 without any quests is such a pain in the ass. Just been grinding fates because POTD is so boring.

Also I don't think I've seen a single machinst at any point playing this game. Didn't even think they existed until I tried it out myself.

There used to be more MCH, but 4.0 has been pretty unkind to the job. Suspect a lot of them switched to BRD.

Do people not level in dungeons anymore on NA/EU? Right now I get 5 minutes or less queues in JP, and as a DPS.

But yeah, a lot of jobs added later are actually pretty boring at low levels.

Rua

Do people not level in dungeons anymore on NA/EU? Right now I get 5 minutes or less queues in JP, and as a DPS.

But yeah, a lot of jobs added later are actually pretty boring at low levels.

I was getting 5 mins earlier as DPS in SB dungeons. It's just more people doing tank/healer for the clusters I guess?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
tfw low pop server area instances basically = solo instances
S9IuZKz.png
Yesterday I was pretty close to leveling my Sam after doing a dungeon, so I was like "I'll just do some fates real quick". Wrong. There's no chance of doing fates with the low pop instances.

Ozigizo

They can't find the median for them. MCH started god awful, got buffed to be almost too good, and got "reworked" in 4.0 to be bad again.

They're good in PVP if that means anything to anyone (Bards are still better)

Zomba13

Novice Network is amazing for newcomers.

I have learned so much from that chat group. Great community really.

Too bad I was only added to it at level 30 or so lololol.

Is sarcasm? Whenever I've seen the Novice Network chat it's just talking about cucks and how great Trump is.

zeorhymer

I got back into the game when 4.0 came out and got all of my DoH to at least 30 and my PLD, WAR, MNK unlocked. I'm going to spend a lot of time just gathering materials to level crafting. I don't think I'll ever hit any of the advanced jobs at this rate, lol.

xxczx

So on my SMN, should I go direct hit , crit, or intelligence on my materia??
69de2c50f998d07bdd9a1f33ec40a54a.png

Serious note: DH > DET > CRIT
Serious-serious note: SMN is in bad shape, try Red Mage. Less effort, more DPS; even if you put full effort with SMN, RDM will still top.

Isaccard

Anyone want to set up a palace of the dead to 200 tomorrow?

Have you tried getting to 200 before? It takes hours, and 180+ with like 3 roaming Chimera's feelssobadman. Good Luck though~

Last group, we got to 187 and got rekt - but we had like 30 min left to finish and probably wasnt gonna make it anyway - 6 hours gone

iammeiam

Realistically, there's no point in engaging. I'm not going to stop trying to explain my side with however many words I feel are required to convey my actual meaning, I'm not going to stop advocating for what I feel would be a stronger game, and I'm not going to stop facepalming the idea of locking story behind content designed for a tiny fragment of the player base. Normal mode was good for the game. Additional super optional hard content is good for the game. Repeating the coil problem of putting the story a lot of players who don't have time, energy, or patience for raid shenanigans want to see behind something they dont want to do 's baffling; I wasn't aware it was a controversial opinion to want the story content accessible to everyone and the super hard self-inflicted suffering content to be done or not on its own merits without making the rest of the player base feel like they're missing out.

LordKasual

Banned
I'm not going to stop advocating for what I feel would be a stronger game--

You should lol....you sound like me before I decided to stop wasting my time doing this, which is why I stand by what I said before when I told you that maybe you shouldn't bother playing because the game is never going to be what you want it to.

Nobody cares. Even if your points are sound and your criticism valid and everything you say makes perfect sense...nobody cares.

The only opinion that matters is the development team's, who have made it pretty clear what kind of game they want to make for us, how difficult it's going to be, how the content flowchart goes, how the party makeup works, ect ect.

scy

I don't see anything wrong with Angary's post, for the record.

Ultimately, it was about what happens when you stuff story behind hard content. People won't be happy. It's like the worst case scenario for the super Savage stuff with the whole there's one less dungeon and now there's unique story content behind the 1% raid.

I'm super interested in the Super Savage thing. That doesn't mean I want it to take resources from elsewhere and I really don't want it to have other value attached to it that makes people regret missing out on it.

I don't feel the plot for Super Savage is gonna to be relevant enough, probably just a side story that is not related to any important plot thread. The problem with Bahamut Coil, was that it was very important and resolved several loose ends from 1.0 to the main trailer for ARR. Hell, is the only content that got a CG scene!

No user is asking to experience ARM quest story without leveling ARM, right? Because it dosn't fucking matter. First raid story was key, lore wise and to the events of the main game.

If I'm wrong, well duh, but I don't think they will commit the same mistake.

On the other hand, I feel that after 4 years of content, XIV is what it is, is not going to change radically it's structure, and neither is going to compromise it's design philosophy. Of course, it can improve and it will (and I think SB was excellent). But the mold is pretty much set in stone.

But people expecting radical changes, aren't gonna get it. Better to accept the game for what it is, for rather what you would want it to be.

jwhit28

After learning about L2-R2/R2-L2, W cross hotbar, and holding L2-R2 while pressing R1/L1 to target through enemies only, I think I like controller more than M+KB. The only real annoying part is anything having to do with the map.

LordKasual

Banned
Ultimately, it was about what happens when you stuff story behind hard content. People won't be happy. It's like the worst case scenario for the super Savage stuff with the whole there's one less dungeon and now there's unique story content behind the 1% raid.

I'm super interested in the Super Savage thing. That doesn't mean I want it to take resources from elsewhere and I really don't want it to have other value attached to it that makes people regret missing out on it.

this is literally the only way to justify it existing

I'm not going to bother with Super Savage if i'm not getting some awesome shit. Nobody will...

I need like gear 20 ilvls higher with sick visual effects to make my Epeen shine bright in the night

Coil felt alot better when its progression was exclusive to hardcore raiders, even though the only Final Coil turn I played was 10. I have never liked the "Normal / Savage" thing.

iammeiam

You should lol....you sound like me before I decided to stop wasting my time doing this, which is why I stand by what I said before when I told you that maybe you shouldn't bother playing because the game is never going to be what you want it to.

Which is a baffling point to make given that I'm currently actively raiding, enjoying myself, and trying to keep expectations in check for a piece of content they keep claiming is tailor made for what I want. It's extra baffling given how much time and effort was spent recently discrediting the opinions of everyone who won't be finishing the raid tier any time soon.

I still run Susano and Lakshmi clear parties with PF randoms on the regular because I enjoy it. I'm going back and doing weird undersized Heavensward stuff to see how I can break the game.

None of that is at odds with talking about perceived issues.

Nobody cares. Even if your points are sound and your criticism valid and everything you say makes perfect sense...nobody cares.

So scroll past it? Occasionally people respond. Occasionally discussion happens and I rethink something or they rethink something. Sometimes it's drive by one-line shitposts and people telling me to unsub, sometimes it's worth it. I'm on a lot of tedious conference calls during my workday, I have super low requirements for making a post worth it.

But people expecting radical changes, aren't gonna get it. Better to accept the game for what it is, for rather what you would want it to be.

The post that I now retroactively regret making because I seriously didn't figure it would trigger anyone specifically addresses a tier of content they're in part adding to appease people like me. I'm invested in them doing it in the way most likely to make it something they want to keep doing. Making a really cool fight with story content and a bunch of unique assets that eat dev time, and releasing it alongside the first-ever single dungeon patch, is going to reset us to the Coil problem Normal was created to solve. Only, if they follow through on their promise, it's going to be worse because it's going to brick wall people who ran coil too.

You have to do them for the skills and traits the 60-70 quests give you anyway so it's nice to do them while you still benefit from the exp at least.

Yeah, I'm gonna want those new skills too. There's just so much teleporting and going back and forth padding on these crafter quests that it gets tedious.

I'm currently 67+ on all my crafters except ARM and CUL which are 63 and 59 respectively. Is there any new rotation I should be using to make SB crafting easier? Currently have about 404 CP.

The post that I now retroactively regret making because I seriously didn't figure it would trigger anyone specifically addresses a tier of content they're in part adding to appease people like me. I'm invested in them doing it in the way most likely to make it something they want to keep doing. Making a really cool fight with story content and a bunch of unique assets that eat dev time, and releasing it alongside the first-ever single dungeon patch, is going to reset us to the Coil problem Normal was created to solve. Only, if they follow through on their promise, it's going to be worse because it's going to brick wall people who ran coil too.

I mean for all we know, the plot for super savage could be some dude/eikon forgotten in some place that is now replicated by Omega, and he offers the Warrior of light to fight as an extra to proof his strength...or something, all explained in a couple of cs with stock animations....

No one is gonna be triggered if that's the case. First raid plot was key to the main game and 1.0 players, it even had attached a CG, is unlikely this is gonna be the same.

Edit: The part you quoted, wasn't about your last post, rather than a general thought about people opinions I saw since SB release.

MogCakes

I agree with angary's points about as often as I disagree with them, but she makes an effort with her posts and activelt contributes to the thread so I don't really see the point Tiv's post at all.

I am still not used to associating forum GAF with XIVGAF, so seeing this got me all confuzzled.

LordKasual

Banned
Which is a baffling point to make given that I'm currently actively raiding, enjoying myself, and trying to keep expectations in check for a piece of content they keep claiming is tailor made for what I want. It's extra baffling given how much time and effort was spent recently discrediting the opinions of everyone who won't be finishing the raid tier any time soon.

I still run Susano and Lakshmi clear parties with PF randoms on the regular because I enjoy it. I'm going back and doing weird undersized Heavensward stuff to see how I can break the game.

None of that is at odds with talking about perceived issues.

eeeegggghh.....still kinda sounds familiar to me...

but whatever floats your boot that fits bro

far be it from me to tell you to stop complaining about anything

scy

Coil felt alot better when its progression was exclusive to hardcore raiders, even though the only Final Coil turn I played was 10. I have never liked the "Normal / Savage" thing.

Eh. I think opening it up to more and more of the playerbase was a good thing overall? it gives far more mileage out of the assets and dev time and they managed to put Normal at a spot of filling a needed niche in gearing and weekly content that was super DFable (...most of the time).

It's a large part of why I'm not super stoked at the idea of unique assets, new storyline, etc. etc. tucked away in Super Savage; it's gone from what I thought was "we took a fight from internal balance phase and released it" to "we made a new EVERYTHING!" I am 100% more for that level of resources put towards more general content and the least amount of effort put towards the things I like. I'm satisfied just running face first into the wall with minimal frills.

Yeah, I'm gonna want those new skills too. There's just so much teleporting and going back and forth padding on these crafter quests that it gets tedious.

I'm currently 67+ on all my crafters except ARM and CUL which are 63 and 59 respectively. Is there any new rotation I should be using to make SB crafting easier? Currently have about 404 CP.

With those stats? Hm. Is that with the Kugane vendor food (Tempura Platter)? +43 CP on 2k food. I want to say my random two button 60-65 macroable stuff was:

Edit: I left out the first echo line oops. Also, stat wise it's 430 CP required but I don't know what to say for Crafts/Control. Which I realize makes most of it potentially useless, sorry :( I had melded Ironworks from HW if that helps ballpark an idea of baseline stats, I guess?
Code:
/ac "Comfort Zone" <me> <wait.2>
/ac "Inner Quiet" <me> <wait.2>
/ac "Steady Hand II" <me> <wait.2>
/ac "Prudent Touch" <me> <wait.3>
/ac "Manipulation II" <me><wait.2>
/ac "Steady Hand II" <me> <wait.2>
/echo Macro #1 complete <se.1>

/ac "Steady Hand" <me> <wait.2>
/ac "Great Strides" <me> <wait.2>
/ac "Byregot's Blessing" <me> <wait.3>
/ac "Careful Synthesis III" <me> 
/ac "Careful Synthesis II" <me> <wait.3>
/echo Macro #2 complete <se.14>

The CS3/CS2 spam at the end was basically an easier way to adjust for variable crafts, CP, etc. my gear had at the end. Plus it was empty space in the macro otherwise. It's been awhile since I've used it, though, so I don't remember how well it worked on HQing the random crafts.

I'm not really a great person to ask haha. I've just been using a macro for leve spam to level and for 1 star I just wing it because the stat requirements are so low. I haven't melded anything for 2 star yet because there's not much worth making at the moment in my opinion. I would have been all over crafted battle gear but with the delay it's a little redundant unless you want to min/max gear that's the same item level you already have.

Valor

I'm just going to go sit in a corner and rock quietly back and forth.

> Design hard endgame raids with a story behind them. Casual players are upset they can't see the story

> introduce two difficulties in raid so everyone can see all the story! Raiders get frustrated with the fights being too hard

> Make the hard stuff more accessible, so everyone can see the story and clear the raids if they want to be about that raid life! Subsegment is wistful for the missing harder content

> Announce super savage fights that will be so hard only the "top" players will be able to clear it. Tell people you don't want to hear complaints about how hard it is, because it's supposed to be inaccessible to the masses

> Design super hard endgame raid with a story behind it. I WONDER HOW THIS GOES FROM HERE
Let's put a pin in this.

There's a big difference between Binding Coil storyline and, let's just say, Warring Triad storyline. Let's just see what they decide to do story-wise with Super Savage. Then again, I hear there are people who are upset about V4S as well having a unique boss to it that normal mode doesn't have.

Sometimes it feels like people won't be happy until the raiding community has literally nothing special.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Down with the raiding bourgoisie.

The proletariat shall own the means of content progression.

Top Bottom