• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Qvoth

i've seen ninjas and giant in v3s practice pfs
i see quite a few minimum i320 though for duty completion, i'm still 318 :/
will be 320 at least by next week though since i'll get creation tome body and normal omega hands
not expecting to clear v3s this week so i'll be taking it slow
feels nice to be a casul :3

rubius01

While tooling around Othard yesterday I ran into these strange wind eddys. I found them in all three Othard areas and could see them from clear across the map, and they were in the same place in all three instances. What the hell are they? The Ruby sea one was up in the air, and the Yanxia one was where Gamma spawned about 30 minutes prior in instance 1.

Xprf1ex.jpg

IvorB

I'm in this! o/

I regretted that LB the minute we got swarmed by all those adds. :<

Yes, you are! Sorry, I should have mentioned :). The adds were a pleasant surprise but no worries as I was more than happy to AOE them down. No sense sitting on the full LB I reckon.

Orcastar

This game is consuming my life.

I canceled a date to get to level 50.

I'm honestly thinking about not subbing when my free 30 days expire.

Aren't you the same guy who was complaining just a few weeks ago about being disappointed that FFXIV is nothing like some obscure late 90s free-to-play MMORPG that you used to play?

Vic_Viper

If anyone is interested in trying out Either of the 2 EX Primals today I'll be on for awhile. Want to atleast clear Lakshmi EX today.

Just lemme know in game, Hideo Kazuma ilvl 309 NIN

While tooling around Othard yesterday I ran into these strange wind eddys. I found them in all three Othard areas and could see them from clear across the map, and they were in the same place in all three instances. What the hell are they? The Ruby sea one was up in the air, and the Yanxia one was where Gamma spawned about 30 minutes prior in instance 1.

Aether currents in the areas. You'll find them in all of the post-ARR maps as attuning all of them and completing specific quests in each map will allow you to fly in each map.

ch4fx_

Few more questions please, FFXIVGAF.

- I'm level 15/16 & still in the starting area. With the amount of MSQ content I have to get through (ARR, HS, & Stormblood), I assume it'll hit the level cap well before I have access to the end game. Will I start gaining iLevels through regular gameplay? Or will I be stuck at level 70 for a long time, then start gaining iLevels once I reach the proper end game?

- A friend of mine is going to download the free trial on PSN & see how they like the game. Do we have to pick the same data center or the same world, or both, in order for us to group up in game & quest together? I know we can use the duty finder to group up, but I was hoping there's a way for the two of us to run around together in the same instance just by shooting them an invite.

Thanks to everyone that's helped with my questions, it's very much appreciated while trying to comprehend everything.

Edzi

- I'm level 15/16 & still in the starting area. With the amount of MSQ content I have to get through (ARR, HS, & Stormblood), I assume it'll hit the level cap well before I have access to the end game. Will I start gaining iLevels through regular gameplay? Or will I be stuck at level 70 for a long time, then start gaining iLevels once I reach the proper end game?

If you're focusing on the story content, it's unlikely that you'll reach the level cap too early as the MSQ will usually level you appropriately (though you might have to grind out a few levels at some point). Also, make sure you do your leveling roulette every day once you hit lvl 16 for a nice chunk of exp. ilvls are are attached to gear, and yes, the main story quests will hand you level appropriate gear as you go through it.

- A friend of mine is going to download the free trial on PSN & see how they like the game. Do we have to pick the same data center or the same world, or both, in order for us to group up in game & quest together? I know we can use the duty finder to group up, but I was hoping there's a way for the two of us to run around together in the same instance just by shooting them an invite.

Thanks to everyone that's helped with my questions, it's very much appreciated while trying to comprehend everything.

Yeah, it'd be best if you guys joined the same world/data center. I think it's technically possible to party up with people in cross world parties for dungeons and stuff, but you wouldn't be able to see each other in the world and party up there unless you were in the same one.

I'd recommend joining Ultros if you're in NA so you can join the GAF free company.

MechaX

So is the current problem with MCH it's DPS after the patch, the feel of its gameplay, or a little bit of both?

I was always indifferent to the class and the animations were pretty lackluster, but I am tempted to take it beyond level 47 (or just use a jump potion because please don't make me go back to PotD) so I can clear out a lot of the aiming gear I don't use anymore.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

The MSQ alone will take you most of the way to level 70, but not all the way there. The main story quest expects you to run a few dungeons and side quests along the way. As long as you run a few dungeons now and then, you shouldn't need to really grind to hit 70. The daily dungeon roulettes give plenty of bonus exp to help you to 70, even if you only run one roulette every few days.

iLevel is your gear level, which goes up as you get better gear. The main story quest and dungeons drop gear that's usually the best you can find at that level (except for a ton of level 50 and level 60 gear back when those were the level caps), so your iLevel will go up naturally as you go through your main story quest. Just pick the gear pieces that are relevant to you when a quest asks you to choose a reward for finishing a quest if you don't have anything better for that slot. You typically don't need to worry much about gear until you hit 70, as long as you don't have a gear piece that's 10-20 levels behind what you should be wearing at that slot.

Level 70 is the level cap for Stormblood, so once you hit that level, you're there for the foreseeable future. Gear will continue to get better with content patches though, so once you hit level 70 it's more about progressing up in gear than in levels.

As for your friends: In dungeon instances, you can group up with anyone on your data center through party finder, but people need to be on the same server (not just the same data center) if you want to actually want to see them face to face in the game world, outside any dungeon instance. So it sounds like the best bet for you and your friends is to join the same server. If your friend is having trouble making a character on your server, he should keep trying until a space opens up.

mcw

Got through Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak last night for the first time. I love this game so much. I never thought I'd be able to enjoy playing any kind of multiplayer game again... I got three player commendations at the end of the dungeon last night and was feeling pretty good about myself despite getting no gear at all during the run.

Edzi

Got through Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak last night for the first time. I love this game so much. I never thought I'd be able to enjoy playing any kind of multiplayer game again... I got three player commendations at the end of the dungeon last night and was feeling pretty good about myself despite getting no gear at all during the run.

Congrats, that's probably one of the worst/most boring dungeons in the game. It'll only get better from here on out (until you get to Aurum Vale).

Squishy3

Aether currents in the areas. You'll find them in all of the post-ARR maps as attuning all of them and completing specific quests in each map will allow you to fly in each map.

That's not an aether current. Plus i am flying the the pic
It looks like the animation for cure, but there's nobody there, so I don't know what to say.

1cd.png

Poppy

i dunno if this is spoilery stuff because i dont play this game or follow the thread really but i wanted to say that if i was ever gonna be convinced to play ffxiv then the raid(?) bosses i just saw are definitely what would do it

exdeath looks so good and neo exdeath has such an insane intro, and i love how the first videos i watched he just instagibbed the raid with almagest, glad they did my favorite FF boss justice

Unable to download patch files [30413][25008][20495]
Happened when I downloaded ARR a month ago, and still happening when I downloaded Stormblood yesterday.
Patching on this client is so bad that I actually dread updates coming out now. I shouldn't have to use a VPN and download at a fraction of my actual speed just to play.

Squishy3

i dunno if this is spoilery stuff because i dont play this game or follow the thread really but i wanted to say that if i was ever gonna be convinced to play ffxiv then the raid(?) bosses i just saw are definitely what would do it

exdeath looks so good and neo exdeath has such an insane intro, and i love how the first videos i watched he just instagibbed the raid with almagest, glad they did my favorite FF boss justice
Yeah, that's from the latest raid The Interdimensional Rift - Omega, so it's current endgame Stormblood stuff. There's plenty of other great FF fanservice (from pretty much all the games) present throughout the rest of the game as well.

If you're ever interested in checking it out, the free trial now has unlimited playtime up to level 35 with some restrictions to prevent gil sellers using it for spam. Information about the GAF Free Company (guild) and the server it's on is in the OP, plus some basic information about the game as well.

Poppy

Yeah, that's from the latest raid The Interdimensional Rift - Omega, so it's current endgame Stormblood stuff. There's plenty of other great FF fanservice (from pretty much all the games) present throughout the rest of the game as well.

If you're ever interested in checking it out, the free trial now has unlimited playtime up to level 35 with some restrictions to prevent gil sellers using it for spam. Information about the GAF Free Company (guild) and the server it's on is in the OP, plus some basic information about the game as well.

ah neato, that seems like a lot of levels for a free trial, maybe i will give it a shot, thanks!

Gator86

SE pls nerf SAM so former tanks will go back to tanking.

Signed all career melee DPS

I want to play Dark Knight but I'm still trudging through ARR post-game on the way to Heavensward. So many quests. Tank queues are instant on my server though so I wound up with a 40 War with almost zero effort.

I didn't realize the tank shortages were so serious everywhere.

Question for the ASTs; how do y'all use Crowns/Blades? Seems kind of useless except as something when both of my card draws suck. Although it is nice getting Crowns and having a second OGCD heal.

SE pls nerf SAM so former tanks will go back to tanking.

Signed all career melee DPS

I haven't played any tanks in a while now.

They lobotomized the one I was planning on maining so I am exploring DPS now.

I have NIN and RDM at 70. SAM at 62 and now bringing up Machinist from 52.

Tanking has not evolved for 4 years or however long this game has been out so might as well jump ship now.

Kenai

It looks like the animation for cure, but there's nobody there, so I don't know what to say.

1cd.png

When we were in the Canals the other day our MT (and only him) saw a "white glowing book thing" that ended up being a leftover glowing animation of when a treasure chest is opened, except it was off to the side and before we even opened the chest on that floor. SE may just have a bunch of different animations left over in weird spots in the game right now.

So is the current problem with MCH it's DPS after the patch, the feel of its gameplay, or a little bit of both?

I was always indifferent to the class and the animations were pretty lackluster, but I am tempted to take it beyond level 47 (or just use a jump potion because please don't make me go back to PotD) so I can clear out a lot of the aiming gear I don't use anymore.

DPS is still bottom of the barrel and although they made the class significantly easier to play on the recent patch, it takes a lot of the fun out of actually playing it. Low utility is still an issue. Roll a BRD.

Berordn

Question for the ASTs; how do y'all use Crowns/Blades? Seems kind of useless except as something when both of my card draws suck. Although it is nice getting Crowns and having a second OGCD heal.

That's pretty much it. A replacement for undraw, which you probably never pushed anyway. Like you said, it's nice to have Lady for when you need a trump heal.

DPS is still bottom of the barrel and although they made the class significantly easier to play on the recent patch, it takes a lot of the fun out of actually playing it. Low utility is still an issue. Roll a BRD.

This bums me out so much because I love the flavor of MCH and I'm working on it now, but gosh does that damage suck.

That's pretty much what it is, a way to recycle bad draws when you redraw and already have a good royal road. Also at 70 you get Sleeve Draw which fills every slot, so you get a minor arcana for that. I generally just dump blades and keep crowns for healing. Having another oGCD is very useful since AST isn't particularily great at that.

That's pretty much what it is, a way to recycle bad draws when you redraw and already have a good royal road. Also at 70 you get Sleeve Draw which fills every slot, so you get a minor arcana for that. I generally just dump blades and keep crowns for healing. Having another oGCD is very useful since AST isn't particularily great at that.

That's pretty much it. A replacement for undraw, which you probably never pushed anyway. Like you said, it's nice to have Lady for when you need a trump heal.

This bums me out so much because I love the flavor of MCH and I'm working on it now, but gosh does that damage suck.

Thanks y'all. I literally replaced undraw's spot on my crossbar with it since I've probably used undraw a total of 1 time.

Yeah, take it from someone who made the mistake of making MCH their first 70. It's a neat class that's fun to play, but the lack of damage and utility just relegate it to a shit class. If you aren't doing savages for early clears it won't really matter in the long run, play it if you like it. But I have been removed from SUS and LAK ex PFs just for being MCH. I leveled DRK to 70 and that's my new main. MCHs have a great burst of damage when doing wildfire but the 1 minute of time between those is pretty bad, even when fetting good procs with a solid rotation. Honestly, they should ditch the class being built around wildfire.

iammeiam

If they ditch wildfire they might as well ditch the gun and just have them glare at the boss, with angry gesticulation as their cooldown; the turret and the WF burst are the only maintained parts of job identity at this point. MCH is in a complicated spot that unsurprisingly doesn't translate great to understanding in PF in general, but a competent player on MCH will still steamroll your average PF group for damage. Even Savage will work with MCH, but the modified 60s rotation isn't great on some fights and is kind of boring in general. With no compelling motivation to bring a MCH in general and most career ranged preferring nuBard you just don't see many.

It's just that the community struggles mightily with nuance and "we heard MCH was in a bad state" turns into "we can't bring a MCH if we want to beat Susano enrage" and then stupidity happens.

scy

The other issue for MCH is the sheer level of effort for min/maxing their mechanic to being a net gain ... and then having that gain being around an auto-attack worth of potency.

Unrelated but since the subject of SAM came up, @Haly (and probably Stone Ocean): After the last talk, I went ahead and did my alt Samurai crafted + pentamelds and decided why not and penta'd SSPD in some slots since you're stuck pretty close to 1k pre-melds anyway. The tentative @i320 in-a-vacuum weights are basically SSPD on top, Crit on bottom so I opted it over any filler Crit I could do and eventually over some DH/Det simply for cost reasons (50k VI overmelds are nice okay). I didn't go full meme and only hit the 1265 SSPD breakpoint (2.12 GCD under Shifu) but it seemed pretty nice at least as far as GCD speed was, albeit in an admittedly super small sample size (aka, just some primals).

Not sure if it actually works out with the fights being the way they are for 100% uptime dreams but if nothing else, the overmelding process is significantly cheaper if you want to go that route. If you do, you may find this GCD calculator pretty useful to figure out the GCD tiers. Just make a copy of the sheet and change the self buff column to 0.1 for Shifu.

tl;dr: It's better on paper, still not entirely sold in practice, it's like 10% the cost to overmeld it pls be excited before memes take over. Tentative BiS are moderate SSPD or higher DH. Figured if I was going to be somewhat wrong I might as well own it.

X1bY3RS.png

We got it down!

Grats; enjoy FaustDeath.

It's just that the community struggles mightily with nuance and "we heard MCH was in a bad state" turns into "we can't bring a MCH if we want to beat Susano enrage" and then stupidity happens.

think of the rocks

I didn't say they had to ditch wildfire itself, more so the entire rotation of the class being built around wildfire. The turrets were better pre-SB when they could actually add utility to a fight.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I didn't say they had to ditch wildfire itself, more so the entire rotation of the class being built around wildfire. The turrets were better pre-SB when they could actually add utility to a fight.

That's like saying that rotation of RDM shouldn't revolve around melee cycle or that rotation of a NIN shouldn't revolve around trick attack or that rotation of a SMN shouldn't revolve around DWT, it's their de-facto central buff cycle. It already hits for Stone IV damage when it used to hit for Fire IV damage, neutering it even further and yeah, might as well just remove it.

I wouldn't trade Tactician/Refresh for Promotion though!

BUT MY DISCO LIGHTS

tl;dr: It's better on paper, still not entirely sold in practice, it's like 10% the cost to overmeld it pls be excited before memes take over. Tentative BiS are moderate SSPD or higher DH. Figured if I was going to be somewhat wrong I might as well own it.
I guess the true test to SS being king this tier would be v3 since I hear that fight makes SAM players want to commit seppuku

Village

I cam back to a guild full of people I don't know throwing slurs around like its a thing to do, and that i'm pretty sure are actual children.

Guess i'm a free agent in diabolos

Kenai

Truer words have never been spoken. I'm all for raking SE over the coals for stupid design decisions (and they definitely make them in a regular basis), but when the community is capable of being so brutal based on perception alone (seriously this is Susano) I can see why SE is so hesitant to mix stuff up when they do find something that works out. Even when it does work out numbers wise and tech wise (nuSMN) a lot of people who liked it before might complain, and other people will complain because it's not what they wanted (whether they actually know what they want or not).

I hope they keep trying though. Some efforts are just lazy, but some are rough diamonds that just need polish that I know they can do way before 5.0.

jwhit28

I'm not sure how to approach the relic weapon quest. It seems like something worth grinding out while waiting for expansions to drop, but now are they worth putting time into instead of just focusing on getting to Stormblood endgame?

Berordn

I'm not sure how to approach the relic weapon quest. It seems like something worth grinding out while waiting for expansions to drop, but now are they worth putting time into instead of just focusing on getting to Stormblood endgame?

They're just glamour at this point. You could get the first stage for the appearance and just move on.

How much money are you expecting? Prior to 4.05 I spent a little time making materials like Tama-hagane Ingot or Worsted Yarn, or foods like Onigara-yaki at anywhere from 100% to 400% markup from the base mats. Not sure if that's still a worthwhile market though and it's time consuming having to adjust daily to market trends. Volume is also a bottleneck.

While I was doing my brief research into the market I found most finished products not worth crafting relative to the second tier materials. In my short time crafting in FFXIV I feel like it's a pyramid scheme where most of the money you make comes from other crafters buying your stuff to craft things.

I was making nearly a million gil on crafted tools a patch late in 4.5, way after the rush was over. The fact that the crafted tools now barely break 2-300k for just as much materials gathering is a shot to the gut. It's not even worth the cost in aethersand to make a crafted piece that'll sell for 200k (MAYBE) in 3-4 weeks.

MCH definitely needs some help and a way to make it fun/dangerous before mid-60s for fucks sake. Damage wise you can still kick ass if you work for it but it is definitely work and while the recasts for reloads being reduced is nice it still sucks when they're both down and RNGesus isn't abiding with you.

Those heat shot animations have been making it worth the effort tho

Top Bottom